Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

I love fireworks, but I totally think they should be limited to 2-3 nights a year max. Mainly I love the sparkles and pretty colours and shapes, I could do without the bangs. Especially the ones that are just bangs, or just flashbangs. What's the point? Fireworks would be the greatest things ever if when they went off they sounded like a small crowd going "yaaaaay!" or an orchestra hit, or like a scintillating synthesizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Hahaha yeah having a close loving relationship with your parents that's rad. That's so cool what's it feel like?

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Bad Video Games

Fireworks suck and shouldn't be available to the public. Neither should guns really. We get a few rounds of 1 or the other pretty regularly and they drive me and the dog nuts.

Escape From Noise

Greetings from FUK City! I took a hike this morning behind my friend's apartment.

At the end of the hike we were messing around with our bamboo walking sticks acting like we were fighting with them, and I picked mine up, spun it around, grabbed the other side and loving chucked it away because there was a big ol' centipede on that end! Fortunately, it didn't bite me, but touching it was a bit unsettling.

sb hermit

Escape From Noise posted:

Greetings from FUK City! I took a hike this morning behind my friend's apartment.

At the end of the hike we were messing around with our bamboo walking sticks acting like we were fighting with them, and I picked mine up, spun it around, grabbed the other side and loving chucked it away because there was a big ol' centipede on that end! Fortunately, it didn't bite me, but touching it was a bit unsettling.

Thank you for the trip report to FUK town City!

City of Glompton

Manifisto posted:

well I guess I should be secretly grateful that TJ's discontinued the indian garlic pickle I like, as this motivated me to head out to Queens for Indian ingredients (to Patel Brothers, a big ol' supermarket of Indian stuff). I got quite a haul!

• not one, not two, but three different varieties of garlic pickle
  • mango pickle
  • lime pickle
  • mixed pickle
  • frozen shredded coconut
  • frozen naan
  • frozen vegetable parathas
  • fresh garlic
  • fresh ginger
  • fresh thai eggplant
  • fresh zucchini
  • fresh curry leaves
  • spicy dried mango slices
  • a big ol' plug of jaggery (unrefined sugar)
  • kashmiri chili powder
  • dried chilies
  • ground turmeric
  • mustard seeds
  • nigella seeds
  • fenugreek seeds
  • black salt
  • urad dal (lentils)
  • masoor dal (different lentils)
  • punjabi mix snacks

the total price tag was ridiculously low for what all I got. with what I already have, that should be enough to make my own garlic pickle to compare against the premade varieties! my one regret is that I was headed out the door I saw they had a chaat kit for pani puri, I'll have to pick that up next time . . .

e:

I love him

so what time is dinner?

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Finger Prince posted:

I love fireworks, but I totally think they should be limited to 2-3 nights a year max. Mainly I love the sparkles and pretty colours and shapes, I could do without the bangs. Especially the ones that are just bangs, or just flashbangs. What's the point? Fireworks would be the greatest things ever if when they went off they sounded like a small crowd going "yaaaaay!" or an orchestra hit, or like a scintillating synthesizer.
I wonder how feasible it would be to make reusable quiet fireworks using drones and lasers these days.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
Good morning byob :sun: :c2b:

biosterous

bug big!

something something mothra joke

dope pics, thank you

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

gullnado!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

B33rChiller

Hey BYOB, why am I awake this early? Why do I feel rested? This is a new, and strange situation. Even the cats seem surprised they didn't have to wake me up to get let out.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Escape From Noise

This answers the question of "what if King Ghidora was an alpaca?"

Manifisto

sounds like a nice little adventure, and the pictures are lovely! just imagine what the centipede is telling its friends and family though, getting scooped up and instantly launched into space by a fleshy giant.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

City of Glompton posted:

so what time is dinner?

we usually eat late or early on movie nights! so come early or bring snacks (or both!)

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

fireworks around me are limited to canada day, and maybe one of the long weekends in the summer as well, but are rare enough that i enjoy them.

roomforthetuna posted:

I wonder how feasible it would be to make reusable quiet fireworks using drones and lasers these days.

this is a brilliant idea, especially if you rigged a small fog machine to each drones, or had a few dedicated fog disperses that the rest projected lights onto.

apparently there's this terribly named company called dronisos that does a different style where i guess each drone is more akin to a pixel instead of mounting projectors?

it still looks pretty loving cool. the videos are something else.
https://www.dronisos.com/videogallery

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

this loving rules holy poo poo

Escape From Noise

Fukuoka is a really fun city and people here are so nice. If you ever visit Japan I recommend it a lot. For real.

Robot Made of Meat

Heather Papps posted:

fireworks around me are limited to canada day, and maybe one of the long weekends in the summer as well, but are rare enough that i enjoy them.

this is a brilliant idea, especially if you rigged a small fog machine to each drones, or had a few dedicated fog disperses that the rest projected lights onto.

apparently there's this terribly named company called dronisos that does a different style where i guess each drone is more akin to a pixel instead of mounting projectors?

it still looks pretty loving cool. the videos are something else.
https://www.dronisos.com/videogallery

Ask your doctor if Dronisos is right for you.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

xcheopis

Fukuoka is a really fun city and people here are so nice. If you ever visit Japan I recommend it a lot. For real.

I also want to visit Kyoto.

cruft

Drones with LEDs has been a thing for a while now and it is very cool. The London new year's display featured them pretty heavily.

Manifisto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avThpxa9ay4

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

xcheopis posted:

I also want to visit Kyoto.

Oh, you absolutely should. Kyoto is beautiful and has a ton of historical significance. Even if the older residence can be...well a little up their own asses.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

xcheopis

Oh, you absolutely should. Kyoto is beautiful and has a ton of historical significance. Even if the older residence can be...well a little up their own asses.

I've read a fair amount about the Heian era (both literature and essays/dissertations), so even knowing that not much remains intact from that time, I want to see what is there.
But my health is too poor for much travel. Such is life.

Finger Prince

My favourite fireworks are the massive, sky filling golden chrysanthemums and kamuros. The huge golden glittery trails are amazing. Remember that game Fantavision for PS2? What a great game. Imagine a 4k remake on modern consoles.

Escape From Noise

xcheopis posted:

I've read a fair amount about the Heian era (both literature and essays/dissertations), so even knowing that not much remains intact from that time, I want to see what is there.
But my health is too poor for much travel. Such is life.

Aw sorry to hear that. Kyoto is lovely. Kyotoites have this rep. They're like the Parisians of Japan. It's kind of funny. If you ever are able to visit, let me know! I'd love to help in whatever dumb way I can!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Now I'm thinking I wonder if you could do it with fewer, larger drones, trailing lightweight nets or strings of LEDs (not just dangling but like a drone at each end/corner). For a cheaper version of the same concept.

Then, I guess you could just do a large black blimp-drone with LEDs on the side, and make all the expensive 'lift' part of the operation very cheap.

At which point we could all just watch some fireworks on TV instead.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

This answers the question of "what if King Ghidora was an alpaca?"

Where did you find this statue of me it holds my power

cruft

Since this place is just teeming with bachelorette parties, I went ahead and ordered my first Daquiri.

It's really good!

cruft

cruft posted:

Since this place is just teeming with bachelorette parties, I went ahead and ordered my first Daquiri.

It's really good!

Holy poo poo, the taste is actually improving as I drink it.

I've never experienced this before.

Maybe it's because I'm dehydrated.

Heather Papps

hello friend

cruft posted:

i half finished this post before but abandoned it as not interesting or funny enough but gently caress it, :justpost:

after your initial post i read the whole article on wikipedia about them. it's fascinating as its history is basically the history of globalization, in that it spread through members of the navy across the world, and was a favourite drink of jfk and hemmingway. hemmingway has a variant named after him with a double measure of rum and no sugar, and jfk loving rum is very funny given his history with cuba.

now i want one.

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

it's fascinating as its history is basically the history of globalization, in that it spread through members of the navy across the world

This is basically the history of soap, too.

Heather Papps

hello friend

cruft posted:

go on

xcheopis

cruft posted:

https://going-medieval.com/2019/08/02/i-assure-you-medieval-people-bathed/

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

B33rChiller

Hah! I hear her voice, reading that post.https://mobile.twitter.com/wnsdpod
Guess I might want to change up the podcasts I fall asleep to.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Robot Made of Meat

cruft posted:

Daiquiris are dangerously delicious.

It's unfortunate that such a wonderful beverage has fallen out of favor.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

cruft

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Daiquiris are dangerously delicious.

It's unfortunate that such a wonderful beverage has fallen out of favor.

I tell you what, they are definitely in favor chez cruft right about now.

roomforthetuna

There are "Swirls" at a place called Aqui, that are kind of like daiquiris but come in different flavors that change regularly (or like strongly alcoholic slushies). I was thinking the other day it's weird that they're not a thing all over Florida, where the weather is too hot and getting drunk is the only thing people do for fun, but then I realized that's probably exactly why they're not here, because basically everyone would die of alcohol poisoning the day the shop opened.

cruft

roomforthetuna posted:

the weather is too hot and getting drunk is the only thing people do for fun

Sounds like Las Vegas to me.

If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to walk further than 800 feet from anywhere to get to a frozen margarita cart. I bet a lot of these carts also have frozen daquiris.

roomforthetuna

Oh yeah, probably should have mentioned about swirls that Aqui tries to limit you to only one per person, or maybe two, I forget, because they're quite large and quite strong, is part of why the "people would die a lot" premise. They'd sell like crazy from a boat-bar at the boat-beach though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

roomforthetuna posted:

Oh yeah, probably should have mentioned about swirls that Aqui tries to limit you to only one per person, or maybe two, I forget, because they're quite large and quite strong, is part of why the "people would die a lot" premise. They'd sell like crazy from a boat-bar at the boat-beach though.

I've been told the things in Vegas are not strong. But the novelty of walking down a public street with a giant container of cocktail hanging off your neck is apparently so great that people are willing to pay exorbitant prices for margarita-flavored slushies.