Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A non-entity lib isn't as likely to push to revert the RHA as even the "sanest" Republican, though.

Surely all the non-entity Libs in the Legislature will be able to defend it though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Surely all the non-entity Libs in the Legislature will be able to defend it though, right?

I thought you said they might as well be Republicans. So pretend they're Republicans and the Governor is also a Republican. Shouldn't matter, right?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I thought you said they might as well be Republicans. So pretend they're Republicans and the Governor is also a Republican. Shouldn't matter, right?

Yeah, exactly these people behave like Republicans 95% of the time anyway

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Yeah, exactly these people behave like Republicans 95% of the time anyway

So why hasn't the RHA been repealed yet? :allears:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So why hasn't the RHA been repealed yet? :allears:

Are you trying to say that there do nothing libs don't behave indistinguishable from Republicans there majority of the time? Because yes abortion is the inner thing they occasionally give lip service to, but won't go out if their way to defend. Other than that they both love cops, business and tax breaks for the wealthy. Christ Cuomo literally engineered Republican control of Albany to keep it from being influenced by anyone just to the left of Reagan.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Are you trying to say that there do nothing libs don't behave indistinguishable from Republicans there majority of the time? Because yes abortion is the inner thing they occasionally give lip service to, but won't go out if their way to defend. Other than that they both love cops, business and tax breaks for the wealthy. Christ Cuomo literally engineered Republican control of Albany to keep it from being influenced by anyone just to the left of Reagan.

I'm saying your :matters: attitude towards Republicans vs. "libs" is really loving untimely.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm saying your :matters: attitude towards Republicans vs. "libs" is really loving untimely.

Yeah it's always untimely for some manufactured reason, this is why Democrats just get worse every cycle everywhere. We now have Dems who demand tax cuts for billionaires while letting Roe v Wade die without a fight, like the time is now my dude.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Too bad. Maybe the do nothing libs should do something instead if hoping the status quo will last forever while still steadily getting further and further right

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm the babyliberal, gotta love me!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In actually interesting news, seems like Hochul's office was hitting the ground running:

quote:

The ethics officer for a state agency felt a colleague might be improperly steering a contract to a politically connected law firm.

So last September, Melissa Saren filed a complaint with New York’s ethics oversight body. Before doing so, she'd received approval from her supervisor at the New York State Insurance Fund, acting Executive Director Mary Beth Woods.

Three days after the complaint was filed, a top aide to Gov. Kathy Hochul allegedly instructed Woods to resign. Hochul's director of state operations, Kathryn Garcia, allegedly told Woods that her services were “no longer needed.” And less than three weeks later, Saren was fired from her longtime job at the Insurance Fund — also without explanation.

Saren has filed a lawsuit against the state, contending that her “retaliatory termination” was “executed with the knowledge and approval of Gov. Kathleen Hochul’s Executive Chamber." The state Court of Claims lawsuit, filed in mid-March, contends Saren was fired simply for "doing the job that she was hired to" — to report unethical behavior.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lmao incredible

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's feeling very strange outside today, it's hot as gently caress but also there's a cooling breeze occasionally swirling through

poo poo is pandemonium here in small town hudson valley, it's the village's Yard Sale Day and there's like 30 houses of people with cars parked all over just selling random crap

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/rachelholliday/status/1528005581805694977?s=21&t=o-EwUIrvDO0vUrcHArmaZg

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Three armed transit cops just standing on a packed bus doing god knows what. This is all getting stupid.

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

Dumb question?, but does the outcome of the governor's race - given the likely front runners - have any impact on the ability of the city to wrest back more control over the MTA? Both in terms of things like stacking the MTA board's state appointees with city-favorable people, and things like formally changing the MTA charter?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well yeah technically but not really bc it would need a governor who actually wanted to do that lol

E: The governor has the majority of choices on the MTA board iirc and Cuomo also controlled the seats the MTA controlled though political patronage poo poo. Since our current governor is just a more craven version of Cuomo good luck on that front.

Changing the charter needs alot more than just the governor input afaik but really the governor of this state has an insane amount of potential and soft power at their fingertips so who knows

E2: someone who is more knowledgeable can correct me

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 19:27 on May 29, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

the main way that the governor's race would likely impact the city's ability to gain control over the MTA would be either a governor who actively wants MTA under city control (lol) or a governor who is more incompetent at politics or just more weakly positioned finding themselves outmaneuvered by an aggressive city government (lol)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the city is ungovernable following whenever carter told koch to go gently caress himself. get used to enjoying the antique charms of the mta

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

so the state listened and is lowering class sizes to 25 max (from 34)
apparently
fingers crossed
get ready for a huge battle over paying for this

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

apparently
fingers crossed

holy poo poo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

apparently
fingers crossed

:stare:

If they need me to go vote for an amended school budget I'm doing it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

apparently
fingers crossed

Already seen the rhetoric of "we will have to defund social infrastructure to pay for this" infuriating. Is the city pushing for even smaller or is this the target that teachers/UFT have been pushing for

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the city is the roadblock. uft and parents assoc. want this.
the doe have for years, in the face of court rulings against them, argued that small class sizes only improve learning when you have a handful of kids with a teacher so simply going from an unconscionable number to a slightly lower one will waste millions vs more cost effective improvements to learning.

now this is pure horseshit because they never improve dick and 34:1 teens:teacher is a crime that no other district in the state allows to happen

the new cap was albany's condition for allowing the highly undemocratic mayoral control of nyc schools to continue but the city got caught by surprise by its passage somehow

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Jun 4, 2022

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

But how will we pay for all these new teachers??? We already spent all that money on cops.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mrmcd posted:

But how will we pay for all these new teachers??? We already spent all that money on cops.

Create overflow class rooms that are staffed by cops

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Tulip posted:

Create overflow class rooms that are staffed by cops

but then the cops would have to go in the schools and we know they won’t do that

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

kitten emergency posted:

but then the cops would have to go in the schools and we know they won’t do that

They will (to kill all the students like they did in Uvalde).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Well, well, well. And here I thought it was solely WFP negligence that won a Republican their line in the last Troy city elections:

Troy councilwoman pleads to federal criminal charge in ballot-fraud case

quote:

The charges stem from three absentee ballots that Ashe-McPherson, a Republican, admitted submitting last year in the primary and general elections — one in the Working Families Primary in June, which she won, and two more prior to the general election in November, when she was re-elected. According to her plea agreement, Ashe-McPherson had received guidance in how to submit the ballots from an unnamed official at the Rensselaer County Board of Elections.
(my bold)

Currently we have 3D's and 4R's, so if this R is replaced with a D then the balance will shift back, somewhat. Now, if anybody figures out how the Republican Council President (who gets voted on by the whole city for four years) managed to get Green line in 2019, maybe she can also be done with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the gun restrictions got nixed by the supreme court, looking forward to lots of good guys with guns protecting me from the bad guys .

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im glad that all the gun havers dont need to worry about being in trouble anymore. i'll be smiling at them from my closed coffin with as much of my mouth as is left after i'm caught in the crossfire of two guys mag dumping over a subway seat

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
specifically the concealed carry permit restriction

facially lol the only people who are ever passed for conceal carry apps are cops and other chuds, and the issuance laws and requirements per county remain in place for handguns regardless.

everything else about the decision sucks and is dipshitted originalist garbage... on the long game welcome to the precedent that is the springboard to dismantling any other restriction on firearms in the entire country :smith:

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Jun 23, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/13/nyregion/labor-shortage-nyc-jobs.html

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lmao the mayors chief of staff has a mandatory book club for his workers

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Real hurthling! posted:

lmao the mayors chief of staff has a mandatory book club for his workers

the "book" is 2.5 pages and is just whining about employees asking for parameters on projects lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is this "a rule that an agency can only hire one worker after two have left"? That's an incredibly stupid rule but it only gets mentioned at the beginning of the article and never expanded on

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

What is this "a rule that an agency can only hire one worker after two have left"? That's an incredibly stupid rule but it only gets mentioned at the beginning of the article and never expanded on

its an adams thing like trumps kill two regs for every new one pledge. bdb hired the biggest city workforce ever. adams wanted to slash 3% of the budget when he took over by downsizing managerial roles specifically, touting the doe's bullshit advisory council shrinking from 15 to 7 overpaid suits.
i dont think it applies to real jobs

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

haveblue posted:

Explains why I haven't heard back from ther city about a job since 2017

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Real hurthling! posted:

its an adams thing like trumps kill two regs for every new one pledge. bdb hired the biggest city workforce ever. adams wanted to slash 3% of the budget when he took over by downsizing managerial roles specifically, touting the doe's bullshit advisory council shrinking from 15 to 7 overpaid suits.
i dont think it applies to real jobs

Does it apply to cops tho

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
https://twitter.com/BNOFeed/status/1553218900753620992?s=20&t=h2vdJFvlBq2qaY6skHihaw
charts:
https://health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/zoonoses/monkeypox/docs/demographic_data.pdf

monkeypox in NY going as far back as the last week of May?? dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Any idea what this actually means in practical terms? What's the State of New York going to do differently now that it's a Declared Emergency?