Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
still hootin' and hollerin' over here

terrifying final minutes though!

Rangers really controlled things for about 2/3rds of the game and then Tampa had a big push

One thing I'm nervous about is even though Vasy looked shaky, he still made a lot of important stops to keep tampa close. If he gets comfortable and starts to lock it down completely that's gonna be tough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rangers are looking great and I'm loving every moment of it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

still hootin' and hollerin' over here

terrifying final minutes though!

Rangers really controlled things for about 2/3rds of the game and then Tampa had a big push

One thing I'm nervous about is even though Vasy looked shaky, he still made a lot of important stops to keep tampa close. If he gets comfortable and starts to lock it down completely that's gonna be tough

yeah, seems like the scouting report the Rangers have on him are "shoot high blocker", "shoot at his head", and "move it side to side". the Lightning did a really good job at stopping the side-to-side stuff against Florida, but that's kind of the specialty for our top lines, and the top 2 lines have 3 really good right-hand shots + Vatrano's insane shot, then Fox, who is unbelievable.

the head thing is weird. he seems to move a little bit out of the way moreso than other goalies like Hank, who would headbutt the puck, or Igor, who tries to catch stuff going towards his head. Vasi looked a little flinchy.

We'll see if it keeps up! I hope so! It's cool!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 4, 2022

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Carver posted:

I have to admit all i knew about the rangers for most of the year was that they were supposed to be rebuilding i think?

and now they're 6 wins away from a cup win

The thing about rebuilding is that at some point all those prospects you've been hoarding and developing turn into top-end talent. And then you're done, that's the rebuild.

Also helps to have a top-3 player at two positions. And a guy pop off for 50 goals seemingly out of the blue. I don't know what to make of em either.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 4, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fisting by many posted:

The thing about rebuilding is that at some point all those prospects you've been hoarding and developing turn into top-end talent. And then you're done, that's the rebuild.

Also helps to have a top-3 player at two positions. And a guy pop off for 50 goals seemingly out of the blue. I don't know what to make of em either.

It helps that they are located on New York City so you have a generational talent literally refuse to play elsewhere until they get traded to the New York loving Rangers. Plus one of the biggest free agents in the past 20 years (Panarin) also basically line up and say "yeah I’ll just play in New York."

And yes I’m salty because my team literally can’t manage a re build (or anything in general). They obviously did some good moves rebuilding , but they also traded for loving Ryan Reeves, so yeah, location def helps.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Duckman2008 posted:

It helps that they are located on New York City so you have a generational talent literally refuse to play elsewhere until they get traded to the New York loving Rangers. Plus one of the biggest free agents in the past 20 years (Panarin) also basically line up and say "yeah I’ll just play in New York."

And yes I’m salty because my team literally can’t manage a re build (or anything in general). They obviously did some good moves rebuilding , but they also traded for loving Ryan Reeves, so yeah, location def helps.

But…but…but…taxes!!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Duckman2008 posted:

Nemeth was a wayyyyyy worse signing than Reavo.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

fisting by many posted:

Most of the Rangers top guys aren't recently developed prospects, though. Seems like just Fox and Chytil. Lafreniere will take another year or so and Kakko might be a bust.

I have a hard time believing that 5 years ago Rangers brass thought Zibanejad/Kreider/Copp/Vatrano/Strome/Trouba were a Stanley Cup core. Most of them weren't even Rangers back then. Sometimes the pieces just fall into place.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mr. Kite posted:

Most of the Rangers top guys aren't recently developed prospects, though. Seems like just Fox and Chytil. Lafreniere will take another year or so and Kakko might be a bust.

I have a hard time believing that 5 years ago Rangers brass thought Zibanejad/Kreider/Copp/Vatrano/Strome/Trouba were a Stanley Cup core. Most of them weren't even Rangers back then. Sometimes the pieces just fall into place.

Sometimes they do yeah but they also brought in Panarin, Trouba, kept Kreider, etc because they felt that skill would help them compete sooner

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It seems like it's more common for rebuilding teams to end up with younger forwards and older defensemen, but the Rangers D is very young, with the top pairing of Fox and Lindgren both being 24, then the second pair of Miller (22) and Trouba (28) as well as 20-year-old Braden Schneider on the third pair with an old guy. All five of those guys are American, too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think Cooper is the best coach in the NHL but Tampa are so loving lazy. They're so used to mostly coasting and being able to just turn it on when they need to and win. That worked fine against Toronto and Florida who have no coach and no goalie, but against a team with firepower and an elite coach and an elite goalie they can't get away with that Chill Mode poo poo. Like against Toronto or Florida that last 3 minutes blitzkrieg would absolutely have gotten them to OT and a probable win, but Shesterkin ain't having none of that bullshit.

Not to in any way demean the Rangers, who are going to win the Cup and will deserve to. Probably not the only one they will win in the Fox/K'Andre/Shesty era.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Zodijackylite posted:

It seems like it's more common for rebuilding teams to end up with younger forwards and older defensemen, but the Rangers D is very young, with the top pairing of Fox and Lindgren both being 24, then the second pair of Miller (22) and Trouba (28) as well as 20-year-old Braden Schneider on the third pair with an old guy. All five of those guys are American, too.

Zac Jones and Nils Lundkvist look like NHLers too, I think they'd be there already on other teams.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think Cooper is the best coach in the NHL but Tampa are so loving lazy. They're so used to mostly coasting and being able to just turn it on when they need to and win. That worked fine against Toronto and Florida who have no coach and no goalie, but against a team with firepower and an elite coach and an elite goalie they can't get away with that Chill Mode poo poo. Like against Toronto or Florida that last 3 minutes blitzkrieg would absolutely have gotten them to OT and a probable win, but Shesterkin ain't having none of that bullshit.

Not to in any way demean the Rangers, who are going to win the Cup and will deserve to. Probably not the only one they will win in the Fox/K'Andre/Shesty era.

They've seemed to play a somewhat passive game this playoffs where they sit back a bit and get a few goals and let Vasilevsky carry them. That worked through two rounds but now Vasilevsky is getting outplayed.

I don't think I'd pick the Rangers to beat the Avs. I would take them over the Oilers. They can win it all the way Shesterkin/Zibanejad are playing right now though.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Kid Line becoming great is what really has made the difference for them imo. Depth has been a problem for them all season. Their top six did all the heavy lifting. Now, they have three nasty scoring lines and with Goodrow and Motte back, they also have a great energy fourth line. Everything has fallen into place in terms of chemistry and rolling four lines.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It does seem like every Cup winner has an awesome third line that dominates opposing third/fourth lines all through the playoffs.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

fawning deference posted:

The Kid Line becoming great is what really has made the difference for them imo. Depth has been a problem for them all season. Their top six did all the heavy lifting. Now, they have three nasty scoring lines and with Goodrow and Motte back, they also have a great energy fourth line. Everything has fallen into place in terms of chemistry and rolling four lines.

yeah as much as it's been painful to watch a 2nd overall and 1st overall "struggle" to put up points, the Rangers are kinda reaping the benefits of having those high picks play secondary roles. The kids learned a lot about NHL hockey without taking shortcuts and having all the pressure put on them to be the go to players, and they're really taking their opportunity now and showing the skills that got them drafted that high to begin with, but since they're still not the main focus they have themselves a nice soft spot to exploit other teams matchups and provide that "third line" depth that a teams that win the cup often have

It's a fantastic development

Next season will be interesting to see where they go with the confidence and experience they've developed and how they're used. Whether it will remain the kid line or they are more involved in lines with Zibanejad, Panarin, etc
Ideally they probably should get more top minutes and PP time to transition them to be the driving forces behind the team

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The Panthers series was an aberration, this is what the Lightning have looked like against good teams (well, not this bad, but bad) since the all star break. That’s why I threw in the towel when the Leafs took the lead in game 6.

They could come roaring back again and I wouldn’t be completely shocked because they’re the Lightning and they have the capacity to do so, but I’m not going to wager on it.

I actually really enjoy the Rangers players especially Zibanejad, so losing to them shouldnt be the worst but unfortunately I have a personal bully/stalker/abuser that is absolutely going to start harassing me again if the Rangers win. I would much rather have lost to the the Hurricanes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

I actually really enjoy the Rangers players especially Zibanejad, so losing to them shouldnt be the worst but unfortunately I have a personal bully/stalker/abuser that is absolutely going to start harassing me again if the Rangers win. I would much rather have lost to the the Hurricanes.

:wtc:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

TheBizzness posted:

my posts aren't even that bad! and if we hold on to win the only one I will bully is Wonderllama, and that's more of a "he knows he deserves it" type of scenario because I lift heavier weights more often than him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Remaining teams in order of poster quality:

1) Colorado. I can't think of any at all so that puts them in first for quality.
2) Edmonton. I can't hold Calgary posters who can't let go against Edmonton.
3) New York
4) Wonderllama

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Poster quality in NHL threads is way better than TFF threads and trust me,,,,,,, I'd know

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

Remaining teams in order of poster quality:

1) Colorado. I can't think of any at all so that puts them in first for quality.
2) Edmonton. I can't hold Calgary posters who can't let go against Edmonton.
3) New York
4) Wonderllama

I'd swap 1 and 2 by poster quality.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
edmonton has the freak that calls goalies goalers but also wayne gretzky

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

heehee posted:

edmonton has the freak that calls goalies goalers but also wayne gretzky

ah, the duality of fan

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm hoping for another 4-0 shut out or an 8-6 game. Either or thanks

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

RC Cola posted:

I'm hoping for another 4-0 shut out or an 8-6 game. Either or thanks

Either of these will be fine with me, as long as the Avs win :shobon:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DrunkPanda posted:

Either of these will be fine with me, as long as the Avs win :shobon:

You don't have DMs right? I'm trying to figure out if it's the mobile app or I'm drunk or if you don't have them

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
gently caress the Oilers. But they have my permisson to beat the Avs a few times.

Gretzky, Bissonette, Carter, and Tochet are all former Kings. That is all.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
We still might take one.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

RC Cola posted:

You don't have DMs right? I'm trying to figure out if it's the mobile app or I'm drunk or if you don't have them

Nope, why?

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

This game kind of feels like a loss. I was worried that Kane was going to injure Makar, with the way he was playing in game 2... but he ended up injuring Kadri which is almost as bad.

I still expect us to get past the Oilers. But there's no way in hell we're going to get past the East coast team without Kadri :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No big deal, Trouba would've gotten him anyway.

~One of these days these elbows gonna walk all over you~

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1533287140792012801
drat, he was having a hell of a playoffs too

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Ugh, that sucks. He had a hell of a year honestly.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Avs - Rangers would be a spiritually OK result for me...

To go beyond that... It would validate my OILERS fandom in the worst loving way for most posters here.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

That's really too bad. Fuuuuck.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
but I mean Evander Kane has never done anything wrong before so we should give the man some leeway

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gently caress Kane

Both of them

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Kane is praying he gets suspended and not fined, or else he'll need to file for double bankruptcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/FakeOilersGM/status/1533287874262577152