Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The whole comedic arc of gyunei as a character is that he usually gets to the correct takeaway of things happening around him but got there in the dumbest possible way every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Waffleman_ posted:

Sunrise doesn't want Amuro loving anyone it seems

What's happening in the scene where he takes too long to get ready. Is he crying in the shower?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chars counterattack is the most important movie ever made

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's doing that, but he's also still obsessed over Lalah who COULD'VE BEEN HIS MOTHER despite being a literal teenager at the time of her death so I wouldn't exactly say Gyunei is all that mistaken, even if for reasons he doesn't actually know.

I mean, Lalah was basically the first person Char ever emotionally connected with after becoming an anti-Zabi weapon, so it's not really weird that her death hosed him up and left him feeling empty, regretful, and bitter. Pining for what could have been if someone important to you didn't die is pretty normal.

Char was pretty close to Lalah in age when she died; iirc she was 17 and he was 20.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's still weird he wanted her to be his mom.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's extremely normal

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What is the deal with Char's mom anyway? Who was she and what happened to her?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

she died when he was young

she's explained at length in the origin, but that's a separate continuity

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

Someone post Tomino's quote about Nanai's cooch.

chiasaur11 posted:

"That’s why I absolutely had to give some thought to the state of Nanai’s pussy. Especially while writing the story and drawing the storyboards; “I don’t want her pussy to be all sad and tired out. If it is, Char will seem pathetic for sticking it in her, and she'll seem like a dull woman."

“Many women have heard the Captain whisper Lalah Sune’s name in his sleep."

"That reminds me, In This Corner of the World is pretty popular these days. I think Kouno Fumiyo-sensei draws really sexy girls. Especially their legs. I realized it’s because they have expressive legs. They’re short like hobbits, but they have a strong presence and sense of reality. That’s because of their mannerisms"

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Gaius Marius posted:

It's extremely normal

"Normal" or "common?"

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's still weird he wanted her to be his mom.

not at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WrightOfWay posted:

What is the deal with Char's mom anyway? Who was she and what happened to her?

There's not much information on her in the normal continuity beyond "she died when Char was little".

In the Origin version of events, after Sayla and Char's dad died, their mom(who, notably, was Zeon Deikun's mistress rather than his wife) was taken as a political hostage/bargaining chip by Zeon Deikun's legal wife after Deikun's death. She arranged for Hamon/Ramba Ral to smuggle Casval and Artesia out, but wasn't able to go with them, promising to reunite with them later. She got sick afterwards and died without ever reuniting with them, which hosed Sayla up pretty badly. It's not clear what emotional effect this has on Origin Char at that point, because Origin Char at that juncture was already pretty well down the driven sociopathic anti-Zeon weapon road.

Given Char's whole life story in the normal continuity, my interpretation of "She could have been a mother to me" is that the dude is completely hollowed out and desperately starved for honest, no-strings-attached human affection from someone who actually understands him, rather than an oedipal "i want my mom to be someone i can gently caress" thing. The only person Char ever opened up to after going after the Zabis was Lalah, and she died horribly, so he spent the entire rest of his life stunted and twisted and closed off to everyone else.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 4, 2022

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The delivery of "could have been a mother to me" in the CCA dub is one of my favorite parts, honestly. It really sells Char as a broken man at the end of his sanity.

But then I'm partial to Michael Kopsa's Char performance generally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So, quick dump of some anon's impressions of Cucuruz Doan's Island from /m/ for anyone curious about it.

quote:

Amuro and Kai in the Guncannon and Job John and Hayato in the Gunperry land on the island but Doan sneaks up on the Gundam and throws it off a cliff and Bright has the others retreat due to an approaching thunderstorm

Doan just murders anyone who lands on the island but spared Amuro for being a child

Doan deserted from a team called the Brown Southern Cross where he was the leader and the current leader is extremely butthurt about it, also he's supposedly on the same level as Char [Edit: apparently the movie says that Zeon's two great Aces are Char and Doan according to a separate post]

The Southern Cross are introduced by showing them fighting random GMs in Morocco

Char does not appear, his Zaku has ten seconds of screentime (with one line of dialogue from him) in a nightmare Amuro has. Buy the kit!

M'Quve threatens the federation that a bunch of major cities will be destroyed if they attack, alluding to Hitler's "is Paris burning". Turns out that the island is actually a secret Zeon missile base with nukes set for six major cities all over the world, key to his plan, and there were Zeon soldiers in hiding there with orders to fire the missiles when ordered (it's never really explained but a wrecked Zaku is shown later on at the bottom of the sea suggesting that Doan killed them)

Most of the movie is Amuro dicking around on the island doing slow life poo poo because Japan loves that stuff lately

M'Quve gives the order to fire the missiles but gets no reply and sends the Brown Southern Cross to check out the island. Sleggar (in a GM), Kai and Hayato (in Guncannons), Job John (Gunperry), Sayla (Core Booster) and Fraw and the three children (tagging along in the Gunperry) arrive on the island looking for Amuro around the same time. They job hard and accomplish nothing.

Two of the Brown Southern Cross head into the secret missile base, one gets out to launch the missiles and the other stands guard in his Zaku. The one in the Zaku spots a child and gives chase and spots the tarp the Gundam is hiding behind right before it activates, presses the beam saber against the cockpit, and activates it killing the pilot instantly. The other guy comes back from activating the launch sequence and tries to run away on foot but Amuro just steps on him.

The other three of the Brown Southern Cross fight Doan and he kills two of them but the last one (the current leader) cuts off his Zaku's right arm. The Gundam then arrives and just slow walks towards the leader's Zaku firing vulcans with both beam sabers drawn before cutting through the cockpit and knocking it off a cliff at the same time.

Amuro tells Doan that he keeps getting trouble because of the smell of war and throws his Zaku off a cliff.

The White Base people go home and the White Base flies over Doan's island while the children wave, the end.

Forgot the missile stuff

In the previous conversation with the vague threat M'Quve says that Paris didn't burn because Hitler's men didn't listen to him but Zeon doesn't have that problem. He does say that he personally doesn't want to bomb the cities because he likes culture.

Amuro doesn't know why the soldiers were in the base (he never goes far in enough to even know it has missiles) so the launch sequence goes through and the missiles launch after the fight is over. The Federation fleet nearby fires at them but can't hit them and they reach the Karman line, but then just blow up. Doan was previously shown staying up late and disappearing at times and it turns out he was sabotaging the missiles to self-destruct after being fired.

M'Quve asks if Paris is burning and when he's told that the missile attack failed he just laughs and says that it turns out some of his men do love culture after all.

There's also fanservice like M'Quve's stupid vase on his desk and Bright having a long flashback reminiscing about hitting Amuro with Amuro saying the line. Amuro's nightmare has a bunch of stuff from events up to that point like his mother being horrified at him and his father being crazy and ten seconds of Char showing up to sell model kits.

It sounds kind of bland honestly; though obviously, that's when filtered through that one guy's opinion, and the actual movie might be a lot better to one person than his impression of it was. Still, it makes me feel like I might end up preferring the original episode to the movie, since I'm one of those weirdos who actually kind of like the original episode for showing the story of a soldier who just get fed up with Zeon's horrific warcrimes and turned his back on them.

That said, didn't The Origin show M'Quve in a more sympathetic light; as someone who refused to launch nukes when ordered, rather than the original show's vision of him as someone who'd use nukes rather than admit defeat? Or was that another version of the character? If it was, then it sounds like this film is hewing more towards the original version of M'Quve for this story than The Origin interpretation. Just one more thing to suggest it's a blend of the two continuities as it's own thing, rather than strictly one or the other, I guess.

Maybe I'm too insulated with regards to SomethingAwful, since I only really visit 4 boards (ADTRW, TVIV and occasionally The Book Barn and Rapidly Going Deaf) but it's weird to see 4chan lingo in use here. My impression is generally that SA users look down on 4chan users, or at least, try to be better than them. That said, cope with what? Amuro fighting Char to a standstill after Char hypes up his appearance is generally how things go throughout Mobile Suit Gundam and Char's Counterattack.

War and Pieces posted:

He's already starting off looking pathetic by using the high mobility Zaku he's supposed to be too good for.

Where is it established (or implied) that he thinks he's too good for the high mobility Zaku, out of curiosity?

Kanos posted:

Gyunei accusing Char of liking young girls is absurdly hypocritical, because in CCA Char is loving Nanai and everyone knows it while Gyunei is dropping the accusation to try to get in there with a 15 year old.

I thought Quess was 13? 15 definitely sounds more appropriate given how she acts, honestly, but she's listed as 13 any time I've looked.

Kanos posted:

Given Char's whole life story in the normal continuity, my interpretation of "She could have been a mother to me" is that the dude is completely hollowed out and desperately starved for honest, no-strings-attached human affection from someone who actually understands him, rather than an oedipal "i want my mom to be someone i can gently caress" thing. The only person Char ever opened up to after going after the Zabis was Lalah, and she died horribly, so he spent the entire rest of his life stunted and twisted and closed off to everyone else.

Char didn't open up to Lalah though. When he returns to the Zanzibar after his encounters with Amuro and Sayla inside the Texas Colony for instance, she asks him what's wrong since it's obvious that he's emotional over something and he just tells her not to pry, because some things are best left in the past. Char never told her anything about himself so far as the TV series (or movies, from recollection) show. He felt emotionally connected to her perhaps, but he didn't actually open up to her in any way. I think he shows more of himself to Dren than he does to Lalah.

I'm not even entirely sure he actually realized his feelings for Lalah until after she died honestly, since he seems like he's manipulating her until then; including when he's kissing her. It seems like he's being close with her to keep her by his side, rather than because of any actual love on his part and the discussion they have inside Texas implies she's aware of it and okay with it, because she just wants to pay him back for saving her life.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 4, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like how the movie revolves around a plot to drop an asteroid on the earth to cause an extinction event, but this goal is at most secondary to any of the named antagonists. Nobody actually wants to do this, they just think they have to.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Char absolutely wants to, as shown via the anger in his words when speaking to Amuro at the start of the film, while fighting at Fifth Luna; he's angry with Earthnoids, and wants to punish them. If anything, the rest of the reasons he gives in the film (bar Lalah) are just excuses to justify that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I disagree. I do believe Char wants to punish the earth but wanting to do something / needing to do something.

Throwing rocks is something he feels he has to do because it might accomplish the goal he wants to achieve. But when the chips are down what he really wants is tobyhroe down with Amuro and the other zekes even have second thoughts. Those Geara pilots were real ones.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I disagree. I do believe Char wants to punish the earth but wanting to do something / needing to do something.

Throwing rocks is something he feels he has to do because it might accomplish the goal he wants to achieve. But when the chips are down what he really wants is tobyhroe down with Amuro and the other zekes even have second thoughts. Those Geara pilots were real ones.

I think it's not even so much something he wants to achieve as something he feels he's obligated to achieve. As his father's son, he needs to fulfil the obligations of his name just so everyone will finally get all the way off his back.

The Amuro thing is the only part that he's actually excited about.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Char's real goal is to get topped by Armuro or else he would've never sent him that magic "T" in the mail.

(the T stands for Top)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He didn't send him the "T", October sent it to Chan so that Londo Bell would have as much psycoframe as possible given it's weird properties. Char sent the psycoframe for the Nu's cockpit block in an indirect means, but the sample Chan has was outside his intentions.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
In this case then, the “T” stands for “tedious pedantry”

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, I decided to look up some numbers for Crossbone Gundam sales in Japan, to try to get an idea how popular the actual series is, as opposed how popular the Crossbone design itself is.

Apparently, there's been over 3 million copies sold as of 2019. Now, I haven't found a breakdown of individual volume sales or release dates, but looking at the numbers and being a bit generous, that's about 100K sales a volume,. (It's a little lower, since more than 30 of the 35 volumes so far were released at that point, but it's close enough for government work.)

Now, that's not the best selling Gundam manga (The Origin sold over 10 million copies, despite being only 24 volumes long, putting it around 400K sales per volume on average and letting it top the Oricon charts) or anything absurd for a manga in general (Blue Box is pulling about 200K a volume right now) but those are respectable numbers.

Good to know, I guess. I still think it's a bad manga, with a lot of praise coming more from the exciting concept, a couple good designs, and the claims of Tomino involvement, but the evidence strongly suggests that it's one of the bigger titles in Gundam Ace because people like the manga itself.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

So, I decided to look up some numbers for Crossbone Gundam sales in Japan, to try to get an idea how popular the actual series is, as opposed how popular the Crossbone design itself is.

Apparently, there's been over 3 million copies sold as of 2019. Now, I haven't found a breakdown of individual volume sales or release dates, but looking at the numbers and being a bit generous, that's about 100K sales a volume,. (It's a little lower, since more than 30 of the 35 volumes so far were released at that point, but it's close enough for government work.)

Now, that's not the best selling Gundam manga (The Origin sold over 10 million copies, despite being only 24 volumes long, putting it around 400K sales per volume on average and letting it top the Oricon charts) or anything absurd for a manga in general (Blue Box is pulling about 200K a volume right now) but those are respectable numbers.

Good to know, I guess. I still think it's a bad manga, with a lot of praise coming more from the exciting concept, a couple good designs, and the claims of Tomino involvement, but the evidence strongly suggests that it's one of the bigger titles in Gundam Ace because people like the manga itself.

I like Crossbone but you can tell he's straining a bit at times with the expected Gundam/Real Robot tropes, one of the only non Gundam works of his that has gotten an English translation Dancouga BURN is overall a stronger and more tightly made manga compared to his Crossbone stuff

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

And for some whiplash, I'm gonna watch G next, baybee.

Enjoy, G kicks rear end. Make sure to watch the dub for the right energy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this implies the japanese va aren't also hamming it up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also might sprinkle in a bit of 00 as well before that leaves Gundam.info.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I also might sprinkle in a bit of 00 as well before that leaves Gundam.info.

Having just finished season 1, Gundam 00 takes a while to get going, and doesn't feel like it knows what it wants to do with half the cast, but there are times it really pulls off its themes. I don't think it's even in my top 5 right now, and judging by the start the second season isn't going to help (the movie is terrible) but I'm glad I'm watching it.

Edit: On review, it's not even one of my top five TV shows. Man there is a lot of good Gundam.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first episode got me interested enough and I like the mobile suit designs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The first episode got me interested enough and I like the mobile suit designs.

Oh, I wasn't trying to discourage you. I was more trying to say that it's worth sticking with if the opening feels slow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also my brain is broken, I saw the Exia's legs and recognized a couple of the bits on it as being similar to the legs on my HG Bael.

I'm starting to see these robots as the plastic toys they were meant to sell.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
new trailer for G-Reco movie IV;

https://files.catbox.moe/du2ciq.mp4

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i would give my left or right nut for banrise to buy the rights to the Sentinel characters and just go ham on it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Also my brain is broken, I saw the Exia's legs and recognized a couple of the bits on it as being similar to the legs on my HG Bael.

I'm starting to see these robots as the plastic toys they were meant to sell.

Fun fact: Several Gundam anime have designs that were specifically made to be as difficult to manufacture as possible due to spite against Bandai.

If you've ever wondered why Bandai's model kit teams are the best in the world...

muike posted:

i would give my left or right nut for banrise to buy the rights to the Sentinel characters and just go ham on it

Have you read Sentinel? It's been translated by fans if you know where to look.

The characters and general plot setup aren't very good, but I agree that there's a lot of room for cool large scale fights. Sentinel is weirdly huge for a Gryps era conflict, especially one that's supposed to be a sidestory.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah it's not the story I want as much as seeing like the ultimate grognard mobile suits animated

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Fun fact: Several Gundam anime have designs that were specifically made to be as difficult to manufacture as possible due to spite against Bandai.

If you've ever wondered why Bandai's model kit teams are the best in the world...

Have you read Sentinel? It's been translated by fans if you know where to look.

The characters and general plot setup aren't very good, but I agree that there's a lot of room for cool large scale fights. Sentinel is weirdly huge for a Gryps era conflict, especially one that's supposed to be a sidestory.

Making my own Gundam series and designing the main suit with floating Rayman arms and legs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Making my own Gundam series and designing the main suit with floating Rayman arms and legs.

Threw that poo poo before they walked into the room.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

this implies the japanese va aren't also hamming it up

No doubt, but the sub doesn't have Chibodee Crocket's power-up music be America The Beautiful so it's simply not as good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know why G Gundam's dub gets gaff. Mark Gatha can't sound like a normal person but he's one of the all time great screamers in dubbing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

No doubt, but the sub doesn't have Chibodee Crocket's power-up music be America The Beautiful so it's simply not as good.

you can't use Chibodee as leverage for the dub when in the sub he's voiced by Hochu Otsuka, running around cursing in english and greeting Domon with "Hey Japanese"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

After the whole-rear end Tomino UC, it's so weird to see Gundams punching and kicking