Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The only time I ever got invited for an exit interview was after we had been to the labour courts and the company in question had been smacked and made to give me a pile of money.

I really don't know what they were looking to gain from that :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bamhand posted:

I've never quit a company that has had a ping pong table.

I have :v:

A ping pong table (that I don't use, I don't like ping pong) doesn't compensate for poo poo pay and having a sociopath as a manager.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

gbut posted:

As long as you don't talk poo poo about specific individuals, or go in guns ablazin' about capitalism and its ills, you'll be fine.

So exit interviews are useless in the case of "this particular manager sucks", then?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

bamhand posted:

Same. Actually, the only company I was ever fired from was also the only one with a ping pong table. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I quit a ping pong table company. Learned a lot, but it was a weird place. They were also a startup. Not a coincidence, but I've never worked at another startup.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Quackles posted:

So exit interviews are useless in the case of "this particular manager sucks", then?

I probably wouldn't name names but being able to say "Management didn't have enough focus on work/life balance." or something that fits better into an HR checkbox will probably work better.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sure, there are things that are beneficial on my end for employees doing exit interviews, which at a competent company would then be used as ammo to convince the CEO/CFO we need to increase compensation/benefits/fire Tim/whatever. But as for a benefit to the employee doing it? Can't think of much there.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I think exit interviews are there because people may feel more positively towards the company after unburdening themselves, and it’s not much effort to get that little bit of good will.

When I was quitting a previous job, my boss wanted to talk about why I was leaving and I said, “the CEO is an rear end and I don’t like being around him. Also, you didn’t promote me.” My boss said, “yeah, those are good reasons,” and I felt heard and only talk poo poo about that company when it comes up directly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Lockback posted:

I probably wouldn't name names but being able to say "Management didn't have enough focus on work/life balance." or something that fits better into an HR checkbox will probably work better.

Another fairly safe option is "difference in style" or "perspective".

They should see a pattern if multiple people leave due to such differences. If they care to care, I mean.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Xguard86 posted:

Another fairly safe option is "difference in style" or "perspective".

They should see a pattern if multiple people leave due to such differences. If they care to care, I mean.

Ah, the care2, very rare.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I mean some places' business model includes loving their employees and most of the rest have departments and roles where they could not care less because it's a commodity to ownership.

Care to care.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

bamhand posted:

I did, unfortunately having a ping pong table didn't make up for the rampant sexual harassment

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Xguard86 posted:

I mean some places' business model includes loving their employees and most of the rest have departments and roles where they could not care less because it's a commodity to ownership.

Care to care.

Hello from the games industry.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007
Hey all. Looking for some advice for a friend.

She's looking to quit her current job which pays well ($90k) but is very stressful and makes her hate life, for a part-time position which is a step down the ladder.

A local (quite large) university seemed to be very interested in hiring her. The role has been readvertised so I believe are also having trouble filling the role. As this is a position at a public university the pay scale publically available $70 - 80K full-time or the equivalent of ~$50 - 60K part-time. She's received a written offer, however, the offered salary is at the very bottom of the scale ($50K).

She's taking a pay cut either way, but to make the new job viable she'd need to get close to the top of the range in any negotiation.

So far her approach is to:

1) Emphasise that she has 5 years of experience in a position at a higher level as part of a larger team with more responsibilities.
2) She is happy (lol) in her current role and in order to transition the compensation would have to be at XXX level.

I have little knowledge regarding where decisions on pay are made at universities and how much room there is for negotiation. I have a feeling that they may have lowballed her due to the lack of degree despite having ample experience.

I'm going to reach out to some contacts in the sector but any advice would be appreciated.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Mr.Sloth posted:

Hey all. Looking for some advice for a friend.

She's looking to quit her current job which pays well ($90k) but is very stressful and makes her hate life, for a part-time position which is a step down the ladder.

A local (quite large) university seemed to be very interested in hiring her. The role has been readvertised so I believe are also having trouble filling the role. As this is a position at a public university the pay scale publically available $70 - 80K full-time or the equivalent of ~$50 - 60K part-time. She's received a written offer, however, the offered salary is at the very bottom of the scale ($50K).

She's taking a pay cut either way, but to make the new job viable she'd need to get close to the top of the range in any negotiation.

So far her approach is to:

1) Emphasise that she has 5 years of experience in a position at a higher level as part of a larger team with more responsibilities.
2) She is happy (lol) in her current role and in order to transition the compensation would have to be at XXX level.

I have little knowledge regarding where decisions on pay are made at universities and how much room there is for negotiation. I have a feeling that they may have lowballed her due to the lack of degree despite having ample experience.

I'm going to reach out to some contacts in the sector but any advice would be appreciated.

What country are you in?

Australia specific: generally you will be offered at the bottom of the salary band, not for any personal reasons but just because that's the policy. You can absolutely negotiate up to the top band from there though - I've done it myself multiple times using the same reasoning as your wife, and so have many colleagues. Last time when they asked my salary expectations I just told them that I expected to come in at the top bracket due to my direct experience in both the sector and a similar role, and they ticked it off with no issues.

Decisions are made by the hiring manager and will depend on their staffing budget. They might escalate it to the next level if they're having difficulty negotiating (eg they don't want to lose more of their staff budget than they have to) but generally they will have discretion.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've got another software development offer. I have not yet done all the math to include all the perks but it is reasonable gain to base salary. There are parts of the job (such as bullshit unlimited PTO) that I am not thrilled about. I am still reviewing the offer, but I am desperately tired of looking and dealing with recruiters so I have additional motivation to accept. I am hoping not to scare this one off like I did the last time I asked for like 25% extra and the recruiter got all pissy. However, I also know "never not negotiate".

Broadly, what is a percentage (greater than zero) I can demand to get something additional out of the deal without adding too much risk? Or does it just not work that way?

The two differences are: this recruiter I am dealing with is internal as opposed to external, and this company primarily does contracts for the US Government so I don't know if this means I can ask for more or less.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can ask for whatever you want but USG contracts tend to have some more rigid stipulations on the contractor so I doubt you will be able to get much.

Unlimited PTO can be fine if you can actually use it. That’s an important thing to investigate in your interview or with HR. You should frame it fairly neutrally: “I’ve never worked somewhere with an unlimited PTO policy; how does it usually work? On average, how much time are people in my role taking off per year?”

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

If I'm comfortable with who I'm talking to, I've also asked "How much PTO did you take last year?" Although that was less useful these last few years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Grumpwagon posted:

If I'm comfortable with who I'm talking to, I've also asked "How much PTO did you take last year?" Although that was less useful these last few years.

Yep, that works well too.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

The two differences are: this recruiter I am dealing with is internal as opposed to external, and this company primarily does contracts for the US Government so I don't know if this means I can ask for more or less.

Weighing in as someone who has worked software development at defense contractors: you can absolutely ask for more, don’t treat this negotiation any differently. Defense (like everyone else) is facing absurd attrition rates right now, and they are even more desperate for people because real software devs don’t want to go work in a windowless room without personal electronics when other places will allow them to work from home.

That being said, if this place is primarily a defense contractor and that is the kind of work they’re recruiting you for… I’d recommend you either ask for a poo poo ton or just walk the other way now. Development in defense is mired with hilariously outdated development tools and dinosaurs who refuse to learn anything newer than their precious Ada.

EDIT: As a quick side note, is this for one of the big defense contractors, or just a place that happens to also do government contracts? (I realize I made an assumption that government contracts meant defense when that may not necessarily be the case)

If it’s one of the big DoD firms, I only know of one with “unlimited PTO” and it isn’t true unlimited PTO. It’s actually four weeks of unrestricted use (take time off whenever/however you want), and then if you need any more time beyond that, it is unlimited but must be approved by the manager. I think recruiters just tell people it’s “unlimited” to make them sound like hot poo poo.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 27, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Magnetic North posted:

Broadly, what is a percentage (greater than zero) I can demand to get something additional out of the deal without adding too much risk? Or does it just not work that way?

10% is basically always going to be listened to (not necessarily given, but you can consider it a floor). 20% is usually pretty safe, but that obv depends on what the offer is. The risk isn't them walking away, thats rare and usually them doing you a favor. The risk is the recruiter goes "This schmo isn't being realistic and probably doesn't know what they're doing, just hold firm".

If you think the offer makes market sense, and you want to be conservative, I'd still ask 10%. I feel like you can still comfortably ask for more, like 15-20% but I don't know your situation, you sound like you want to be cautious, and like KGJ said USG contracts typically have a lot less wiggle.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can ask for whatever you want but USG contracts tend to have some more rigid stipulations on the contractor so I doubt you will be able to get much.

Unlimited PTO can be fine if you can actually use it. That’s an important thing to investigate in your interview or with HR. You should frame it fairly neutrally: “I’ve never worked somewhere with an unlimited PTO policy; how does it usually work? On average, how much time are people in my role taking off per year?”

Yeah, I asked them that and they said 3-5 weeks and I am not sure if they're lying. I'd rather just actually have a loving allotment. But at least the number they said was better than the last place where they said it was closer to 12 days which is just :wtc:

Gin_Rummy posted:

EDIT: As a quick side note, is this for one of the big defense contractors, or just a place that happens to also do government contracts? (I realize I made an assumption that government contracts meant defense when that may not necessarily be the case)

It is not a big defense contractor.

Looking at my sources, it seems that as a matter of total compensation, it seems competitive so I guess I'll be conservative. Even 10% more seems like a lot when I do the math, but I guess the idea is they come down to like 5%. Maybe I'll start real conservative at like 7% and just get what I can get, what with the situations that mean they might not even be able to shift on it.

Which sort of makes me wonder if it's worth the risk, and if it's such a small amount of money, they'll look and say, "You're accepting anyway, gently caress you."

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

They have no way to know you’d accept anyway unless you go out of your way to tell them that.

My last offer cycle was pretty ridiculous, but even after the needless scramble, I did still sign my original offer.

They’ll either slide up closer to what you want, or say “nope this is it”. Then you decide if that’s enough. There’s plenty of stress without wondering if they can see your underwear.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

They have no way to know you’d accept anyway unless you go out of your way to tell them that.

My last offer cycle was pretty ridiculous, but even after the needless scramble, I did still sign my original offer.

They’ll either slide up closer to what you want, or say “nope this is it”. Then you decide if that’s enough. There’s plenty of stress without wondering if they can see your underwear.

What if they CAN see my underwear?!?!? :magical:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Wear your fancy pair. Power move. :clint:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Wear your fancy pair. Power move. :clint:

Nah, that just shows them you're desperate.

The power move is commando.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I know there's a more relevant clip from Friends specifically for "going commando", but this was actually my first thought
https://youtu.be/5M1MFKmjRJI

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

Jumpsuit posted:

What country are you in?

Australia specific: generally you will be offered at the bottom of the salary band, not for any personal reasons but just because that's the policy. You can absolutely negotiate up to the top band from there though - I've done it myself multiple times using the same reasoning as your wife, and so have many colleagues. Last time when they asked my salary expectations I just told them that I expected to come in at the top bracket due to my direct experience in both the sector and a similar role, and they ticked it off with no issues.

Decisions are made by the hiring manager and will depend on their staffing budget. They might escalate it to the next level if they're having difficulty negotiating (eg they don't want to lose more of their staff budget than they have to) but generally they will have discretion.

Yeah based in Australia. What you mentioned about pay bands seems to track with what I heard from a few friends. Thanks for the information it's good to have an idea of how it works. I'll relay it to my friend and tell her to aim for the higher band.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

How long until after making a counter offer should I get back in touch? Or should I not at all? And at what point do I give up and start looking at other recruiter communications again?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Magnetic North posted:

How long until after making a counter offer should I get back in touch? Or should I not at all? And at what point do I give up and start looking at other recruiter communications again?

I follow up weekly to make sure they're breathing. once the HR person said it would go faster if I would accept the original offer, to which I replied "no I can wait" and got my full counter the next week.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Not a Children posted:

Yup. Take the highest number you're willing to say, add 20% to that, then pin on the words "negotiable based on benefits and the specifics of the role"

I'll try this next time, YOSPOS was telling me to say "market-rate" and was all like

but I'm afraid that someone entering the job market doesn't have the standing to do something that brash

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nah, saying "Market Rate" is fine and not rude or brash or anything. You just might get push back again to name a number.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

galenanorth posted:

I'll try this next time, YOSPOS was telling me to say "market-rate" and was all like

but I'm afraid that someone entering the job market doesn't have the standing to do something that brash

Don't say a number is a basic catch-all negotiation rule, things change once you get a sense of your worth within your industry and more importantly what would make you happy given the role and its responsibilities and how that plays into your life

"Don't say a number" is always a good strategy and especially shines if you A) have no idea what you can get and B) will experience a life changing level of compensation if the negotiation is successful.

If you're in a good position to walk away from a deal and have developed a sense of what will make you happy to make a move you can cut through the song and dance by simply demonstrating how much you kick rear end, then asking for more than what will make you happy and you're good

Lockback posted:

Nah, saying "Market Rate" is fine and not rude or brash or anything. You just might get push back again to name a number.

This is 100% true and the correct response to being harassed for a number is to defer to needing to know the full scope of the responsibilities and benefits of the offer. If they keep pressing you just repeat: "I will not discuss salary expectations at this time." Ignore any attempts to shame or goad.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 3, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The correct solution to an exit interview is make sure it's scheduled for 4:30pm on your last day, then schedule a doctor or dentists appointment on top of it, and leave the office at 3:30pm

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lol please don't. Just hit da bricks. It's not like you gotta do it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
One of my exit interviews was just questions from legal about if I was taking any files with me when I left. I assume I'd have been in trouble if I had tried to skip that.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I messed up my negotiations. They wouldn't name a number first, so I went with $155k, knowing I'd accept $140k or above after negotiations.

Their initial salary offer is for $160k.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
:perfect: demonstration of why companies turn the screws so hard to pressure the candidate to name a number first. They just got you for way under what they were willing to pay and you can't credibly ask for more now.

Still, you got a salary you're happy with and the information that you're still being paid under market, which should give you confidence to go out job hunting again with better information in about two years (or less, if you're adventurous).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 4, 2022

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

MrLogan posted:

I messed up my negotiations. They wouldn't name a number first, so I went with $155k, knowing I'd accept $140k or above after negotiations.

Frame this and put it on the wall. :allears:
Good you’re at least getting paid 20k more than you’d be happy with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrLogan posted:

Don’t let this bother you too much, you’ll have another kick at it in a few years and at least for now you’re making way more than you though you would take to be happy.