Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

at least hallowed desert will count as desert in the upcoming update so you no longer have to construct a giant mote to keep it from getting corrupted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

D34THROW posted:

Dammit, I LIKED my NPC apartment building! :arghfist::saddowns:

You still can, you just don't get the biome teleporters. The price increases shouldn't make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, unless you're buying up a fuckton of wire or something.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The 1.4 housing change is what finally got me to engage in building nice looking houses in Terraria and it turns out it's actually fun

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I actually find it way more convenient to access my npcs when they’re divided up into small groups that I can warp over to instantly rather than having to find them in a big messy apartment complex.
It also made me want to actually decorate the houses for once
and if something goes wrong and my base gets blown up or something it’s only like 3 or 4 houses I need to rebuild instead of all of them

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's not really a huge detriment if you still wanna shove them in little cells, exclusive items cost slightly more and you can't use the pillars (which were added with the happiness system anyway).
The happiness system does not give you price penalties, either. The absolute worst case of the happiness system on prices is "you are paying the base price you would've in 1.3".

Also, warning for mods: the Wormy Food from fargo's mutant mod seems buggy and got me two different, messed up Eater of Worlds. And one of them got really messed up and, since the Fargo Enemy Modifiers "no, don't give these to bosses" option does not work on its segments so I ended up with a bugged Merchant one that was floating around... somewhere, that didn't have a sprite attached, so the boss fight never ended. Even thought quitting and going back into the world, somehow. And since "merchant" makes it friendly I couldn't use cheat sheet to kill it without killing everybody in my apartment building too.

I recommend adding the eater of worlds parts to the manual blacklist for that mod. ... hm, I should do the Destroyer parts too.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

GodFish posted:

The 1.4 housing change is what finally got me to engage in building nice looking houses in Terraria and it turns out it's actually fun

Before I was 100% utilitarian with housing. Now I have an adorable little snow hut. :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My problem has always been that the second I find a granite biome I stop everything and stripmine the whole thing so I can make pretty granite skyscrapers

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
1.4.4 is going to increase most stack sizes to 9999 and after playing Minecraft and all its mods that make even the most remotely-convenient storage take 40 diamonds and 80 ender pearls this is a breath of fresh air.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

DoubleNegative posted:

Right now the game is really stuttery. I grabbed about 32 different quality of life mods and set out to go on a Journey Mode rampage and the game's straight up unplayable. Approximately every 1.5 seconds, the game pauses for a split second. And it's extremely consistent with the timing.

I'm hoping that it's the mods I have installed, so I'd advise giving them some time to update to the latest version.

I finally bit the bullet and did the long process of checking which of the mods I had installed was causing my stuttering problem.

It's the 1.4 Alpha version of Reduced Grinding. I'm not sure what's going on, but multiple people on the workshop page are reporting the same issues I had. So caveat emptor with this mod in particular until it gets fixed!

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Zereth posted:

The happiness system does not give you price penalties, either. The absolute worst case of the happiness system on prices is "you are paying the base price you would've in 1.3".

I'm pretty sure they in fact raise prices over base if they are crowded or unhappy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kalas posted:

I'm pretty sure they in fact raise prices over base if they are crowded or unhappy.
... let me check the wiki.

The Wiki posted:

Conversely, factors that make an NPC unhappy will raise their prices for goods purchased from them, up to a maximum of 3/2 (150%),
poo poo, I better put more effort into making housing elsewhere than my big apartment building. :negative: EDIT: and disable Reduced Grinding

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Go home worldgen, you're drunk

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

Alternatively, gently caress it, give us the worldgen levers and let us get weird with it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

that's rad as poo poo, the evil meat biome *should* spew vile tentacles into surrounding territory and up into the sky

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Terracustom app for generating custom worlds is fun because you can create some really ridiculous poo poo. Strongly recommend it if you want to make bizarre hellworlds.

I haven't been able to make corruption spawn in clouds though, that's a new one.

E: actually setting the world height to a really low number might do something similiar, especially if you set height variation to max.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 4, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

that's rad as poo poo, the evil meat biome *should* spew vile tentacles into surrounding territory and up into the sky
:hmmyes: The opposite of the way the Corruption looks like something fell from the sky and burrowed into the ground.

edit: Say are there any similarly expansive mods on the scale of Cataclysm that i'm not aware of that I should keep an eye out for being updated to 1.4?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 4, 2022

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

This seed in general is cursed. That Crimson hellmouth is immediately to the right of spawn, while the jungle is a surprisingly short distance to the left. It's a large world to boot!

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

DoubleNegative posted:

That's what Crimson having a boner looks like.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am running a medium sized world for a solo play through, but what size world would you guys recommend?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
For Solo play medium is Ideal, Large worlds give the same amount of content as medium worlds except everything is further apart, which can be very inconvenient as that includes ores.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Are there any class mods for 1.4 that are decent? I liked the bard class from thorium but that's not 1.4 ready yet.

Unrelated, I like medium worlds for solo play. Small world usually don't have the cool terrain features I like to build in.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So what mods are everyone using?

Got a couple that looked cool but I’m interested in what everyone is using.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Saxophone posted:

So what mods are everyone using?

Got a couple that looked cool but I’m interested in what everyone is using.

The best mod is Auto Trash. The most powerful boss in terraria follows you from the very beginning of the game: an endless stream of inventory filling junk. It can also be set to auto sell (at a slightly worse price than doing it at a shop). Recipe Browser from the same person is also great for checking what that junk is for without needing to teleport back to the Guide.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Now you folks have me wanting to make better houses for my NPC's. Their house should be 25 tiles away from any other house? Is that it? Thanks for any help.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mayveena posted:

Now you folks have me wanting to make better houses for my NPC's. Their house should be 25 tiles away from any other house? Is that it? Thanks for any help.
In particular, it seemed to just be the overall room/set of walls that counts as their house flag location. I did not need empty space, just as long as they were far enough away.

It has been a while so I don't know if they mega nerfed it to the point you can't get away with having three "houses" near to eachother with little issue and making sure those groups have big space between them. But it was good enough for me to unlock forest pylon happiness by accident when setting up an initial huge greenhouse, warehouse, and crafting tower with long sky hallways and glass rope elevators linking the NPC apartments.

I think the second dumbest aesthetic choice for mechanical reasons I have done, was having every bathroom lit by a furnace. To avoid people constantly moving into bathrooms meeting all of the house criteria instead of the nice rooms with chairs and flower pots.

The dumbest thing I've ever done that seems to mostly work is deciding that instead of making a big lava moat around my home, I lined the rooftops with lava. Probably does not work nearly as well without loot magnets unless you just don't give a drat what stuff spawning or flying into your rooftops drops.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 5, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There are also biome and neighbor preferences.

I made a bunch of little villages, so I could theme each one and do some sort of shrine area for the pylon.

These are the ones I did -
Ocean: angler, hairstylist, pirate
Snow: tax collector, cyborg, mechanic, (santa)
Forest: nurse, merchant, golfer, zoologist
Desert: steampunker, arms dealer, dye trader
Mushroom: truffle, guide
Jungle: witch doctor, dryad, painter
Hallow: partygirl, tavernkeep, wizard
Underground: demolitionist, goblin tinkerer, clothier

I also built a fast elevator in a giant living tree to the leftmost sky island, that has a teleporter to the rightmost sky island and a minecart track that leads to all the other sky islands, and on the right side of the map I put a fast-travel hellevator in another living tree.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm playing in journey mode and somehow I'm invulnerable to bosses. I can die to anything else, but no damage taken when I'm fighting a boss. Is there a way to fix this? I'm not in godmode.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mayveena posted:

I'm playing in journey mode and somehow I'm invulnerable to bosses. I can die to anything else, but no damage taken when I'm fighting a boss. Is there a way to fix this? I'm not in godmode.

Is this 1.4 modded?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't know what mods are doing things but I'm getting weird results around my Return Potion portals where I get stuck in midair for a minute, or all my cosmetic stuff turns off and I'm looking at the base armor, or all my summons disappear which is annoying since I am playing a summoner this time.

Not like, dangerous or anything but it takes me a few seconds to resummon them.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Remember that both tmodloader and many mods are considered 'stable', not finished, and still need a bunch of work. I'm actually surprised they are working as well as they are.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 7, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Is this 1.4 modded?

I added some mods from the workshop but apparently I need the tmodloader to make them active? I’ve moved the power level from journey to classic, so hopefully that will fix it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mayveena posted:

I added some mods from the workshop but apparently I need the tmodloader to make them active? I’ve moved the power level from journey to classic, so hopefully that will fix it.
Yeah, tmodloader is, as the name implies, the thing that actually loads the mods. I don't know how you can even get mods from the workshop without that installed. Run Terraria through that and with your mods installed (you can even use the in-game mod browser) and it should be okay. Difficulty level shouldn't be affecting that, I don't think.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You can even import your existing character and world to tmodloader and pick up where you left off, but now with mods.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Cool thanks!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Reduced Grinding updated and appears to no longer be making Terraria stutter constantly. Apparently the mod author arrived at the genius implementation of "for the enchanted sundial item, check every tile in the world once per game tick to see if it's craftable" which... :psyduck:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DoubleNegative posted:

Reduced Grinding updated and appears to no longer be making Terraria stutter constantly. Apparently the mod author arrived at the genius implementation of "for the enchanted sundial item, check every tile in the world once per game tick to see if it's craftable" which... :psyduck:

Sometimes you get these sorts of utterly stupid ideas as a dev and the part of your brain that tells you it’s utterly stupid is out to lunch

Then you come back to it afterwards, wonder which idiot wrote this crap and realise it was you

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
It's time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4od773NfQk

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Well there goes the next week.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’ve never played Calamity. Is it significantly harder than baseline terraria? I’ve got two boys I might try and play with in it, but they’ve never really finished the baseline progression without heavy cheating/out of depth items, and I’d like to try and keep within that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Awesome, been waiting for this to give Calamity a proper go