Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
shame the megaman sprite comic link is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

Big post but I found the quotes

<Massive recommended RPG Maker game list from avoraciopoctules>

avoraciopoctules posted:

Cool! I'm gonna do this in chunks of 20,

Holy poo poo, thank you! I did search "RPG Maker" but the results were so messy I didn't realize that was buried in there.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 5, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I tried the Crystal Project demo and was immediately and violently repelled by the terribly awkward platforming with a whole lot of "you fell down so go back to the start of a long chain of platforms to start over". A shame, because the combat system looked pretty good.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Clarste posted:

I noticed that the description of Hard says it expects you to grind, which immediately put me off. Can you confirm/deny that?

Like, I enjoy a challenge but my idea of a challenge does not include walking back and forth fighting the same enemies for an hour.

I found that I rarely needed to grind even on Hard; just fighting all of the encounters in an area was usually enough to keep pace (fights don't respawn until you leave the zone, so you can clear a map area out and then explore freely). The only time I really did any grinding was when I was aiming to pick up a specific skill on somebody, and there's an assist option you can turn on to increase the number of job points you get to make that faster.

Kanos posted:

I tried the Crystal Project demo and was immediately and violently repelled by the terribly awkward platforming with a whole lot of "you fell down so go back to the start of a long chain of platforms to start over". A shame, because the combat system looked pretty good.

Yeah, that's fair enough; if the platforming is a turn-off for you then it doesn't ever really let up. You do get various tools later on to make the platforming easier, but then you find even harder platforming challenges that require those tools.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 5, 2022

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m not really into platforming in general, but I feel like the movement in Crystal Project is quite snappy and smooth. I do really wish there were just free warping between checkpoints, though, because I get lost and have to back track an awful lot.

I also picked normal because of the description for hard saying it requires grinding. Hopefully the difficulty picks up a little later on.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I was disappointed to learn that the "exploration" in Crystal Project was entirely jump related. Turned me off of the whole game.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Citizen Sleeper for tha mothereffin' win.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Clarste posted:

I noticed that the description of Hard says it expects you to grind, which immediately put me off. Can you confirm/deny that?

Like, I enjoy a challenge but my idea of a challenge does not include walking back and forth fighting the same enemies for an hour.

The only time I actually sat down and did any grinding was mastering some classes at the very end of the game, and that was mostly because I wanted to see what the ultimate class armors do. I fought monsters that were near platforming I had to do, but I got through the game comfortably without fighting everything. The one time I felt like I fell behind was random encounters in the desert area, and that's more the game raising its expectations. (Use Sleep.)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

I played on Hard and never felt like I had to grind against a hard boss, just change my strategy. Also the hardest fights are all at endgame and you will hit the level cap pretty easily, so its even less of a concern that you may think

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
1 other thought on Stella Glow:

I have no clue why the good ending was gated behind what it was gated behind. The good ending and the prereqs for it are unrelated. I can only assume it's a matter of the game not being fully finished, an assumption I'm making based on the fact that you can get orb fragments for orb recipes that do not exist, the dev shut down pretty much right after release, and some people working on a Spanish translation found full character ending text for (big midgame spoilers) Anastasia even though she gets killed during the story.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

zzMisc posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you! I did search "RPG Maker" but the results were so messy I didn't realize that was buried in there.

Glad that it was helpful, and thank you RareAcumen for digging up the links. I'm a little tempted to revise the list sometime. I tried a few of the games on that list I hadn't played yet, and it would probably be a little more useful to people if I wrote down my impressions on what made each entry worth taking a look at.

BTW, looks like one of the devs who made stuff on the list and got a positive reception here has launched a new kickstarter project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jkweath/absinthia

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Crystal Project: I'm in the volcano - just got the second mount - and getting my rear end kicked by every random encounter with more than one enemy, even with Sleep. What's a reasonable mitigation solution for multi-targets?

Current party is a magic dps, a thief/scholar (mostly thief lol), a hunter for dps, and a reaper acting as tank with warrior skills. There doesn't seem to be good multitarget healing (Sun Bath is lovely and slow) so that's not the solution and I'm getting ground down by multi-target abilities from enemies + the damge from being on fire in the volcano.

e: also I'm supposed to come back for this Ancient Sword, right, because same problem (lol it just multislashes me and I get Bleed on everyone and I loving die instantly)

e2: pps where's Samurai, I got Ninja and I figured Samurai would be near it, but maybe it's in the other not-Asian place on the other side of the ocean via the Ferry? haven't explored there yet

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 5, 2022

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Crystal Project: I'm in the volcano - just got the second mount - and getting my rear end kicked by every random encounter with more than one enemy, even with Sleep. What's a reasonable mitigation solution for multi-targets?

Current party is a magic dps, a thief/scholar (mostly thief lol), a hunter for dps, and a reaper acting as tank with warrior skills. There doesn't seem to be good multitarget healing (Sun Bath is lovely and slow) so that's not the solution and I'm getting ground down by multi-target abilities from enemies + the damge from being on fire in the volcano.

e: also I'm supposed to come back for this Ancient Sword, right, because same problem (lol it just multislashes me and I get Bleed on everyone and I loving die instantly)

I believe the volcano is completely optional (there's a class crystal for a good tank class but actual forward progress once you have the goat is in the ice area), so ducking out and going somewhere else is an option. If you're in the Volcano, did you get Assassin and Samurai from Shoudu Province? One of those two is available from the Sky Arena's rewards, the other is in the undercity area. Assassin will be particularly useful for you, since the attack and magic attack debuffs are on the class's bow branch.

I do remember avoiding most encounters in the Volcano when I could, because it's a pain. Even in locked rooms, you can usually juke them into lava (Quintar mount's speed helps), and then they count as dead for the purposes of unlocking rooms. That sword boss is completely optional too, since it just blocks a chest with a good sword. I'm pretty sure I pulled it off when I first got to the Volcano: it's doable if you're very, very on top of using Blind and debuffing. Hard, though, especially with the Rogue's aggro management requirements.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Einander posted:

I believe the volcano is completely optional (there's a class crystal for a good tank class but actual forward progress once you have the goat is in the ice area), so ducking out and going somewhere else is an option. If you're in the Volcano, did you get Assassin and Samurai from Shoudu Province? One of those two is available from the Sky Arena's rewards, the other is in the undercity area. Assassin will be particularly useful for you, since the attack and magic attack debuffs are on the class's bow branch.
lmao I did not get either of those, I set one foot in that area and turned back, addin that to the list (hell I haven't even seen the ice area yet, I beelined back to the volcano as soon as I got the goat)

the goat is my boy, cute as hell and my quintar can eat poo poo beause I like cute slow goat better

also, the actual answer may have been just that you can loving dispel the Burn from being in the volcano, I assumed you could not because, you know, volcano hot.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lmao I did not get either of those, I set one foot in that area and turned back, addin that to the list (hell I haven't even seen the ice area yet, I beelined back to the volcano as soon as I got the goat)

the goat is my boy, cute as hell and my quintar can eat poo poo beause I like cute slow goat better

also, the actual answer may have been just that you can loving dispel the Burn from being in the volcano, I assumed you could not because, you know, volcano hot.

Yeah, most people do that with that area for some reason. (Probably because you can get there before you even really start exploring the desert in earnest, and then the goat distracts you.) Just make sure to climb to the top-left of that area first when you backtrack to it, because there's a shrine up there and the area is very vertical. Being able to warp back to the top at any time helps.

Now that you mentioned it, yes, that helps a lot. (Doubly so if you have two people with double-cast, since that means you can eliminate it in a single turn. Plus /Warlock is just generally great for random encounters.) Usually games like this would reapply it as a global effect on turn end or something, but nope.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising, decent game, fairly optimistic for the main title now. Which I know barely anything about other than 'Suikoden inspired' I assume the combat is going to be nothing like the prequel game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising, decent game, fairly optimistic for the main title now. Which I know barely anything about other than 'Suikoden inspired' I assume the combat is going to be nothing like the prequel game?

Yeah the combat is supposed to be basically Suikoden. The Link Strike stuff in Rising is basically trying to mimic the "multiple characters attack at once" thing that Suikoden (and for some reason NO OTHER GAME) does.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The small glimpses we've seen of Eiyuden's combat make it look basically like Suikoden with formations varying by terrain, which I assume will affect attack ranges and stuff, maybe an evolution of the old S-M-L range variations. I think I read terrain is also supposed to be somewhat interactive in the sense that it'll synergize with magic and might have cover bonuses for defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpYU-TK208

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVsY2qy2ias

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Einander posted:

I do remember avoiding most encounters in the Volcano when I could, because it's a pain. Even in locked rooms, you can usually juke them into lava (Quintar mount's speed helps), and then they count as dead for the purposes of unlocking rooms. That sword boss is completely optional too, since it just blocks a chest with a good sword. I'm pretty sure I pulled it off when I first got to the Volcano: it's doable if you're very, very on top of using Blind and debuffing. Hard, though, especially with the Rogue's aggro management requirements.

It's extremely easy if you run a Cleric set. Blackout ruins so many fights in the game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Delsaber posted:

The small glimpses we've seen of Eiyuden's combat make it look basically like Suikoden with formations varying by terrain, which I assume will affect attack ranges and stuff, maybe an evolution of the old S-M-L range variations. I think I read terrain is also supposed to be somewhat interactive in the sense that it'll synergize with magic and might have cover bonuses for defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpYU-TK208

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVsY2qy2ias

From what I read the "Rune System" in Hundred Heroes seems to be a bit more Quartz-In-The-Trails-Games-y, with certain characters not only having special unique runes locked to certain slots like Suikoden characters would be having slots that have restrictions (I'm assuming things like certain elements or physical/magical runes etc).

Also I don't think it's just going to be 3 slots per character like Suikoden proper.

e: to clarify this is all just an educated guess, nothing more

Junpei fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 6, 2022

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Tonfa posted:

It's extremely easy if you run a Cleric set. Blackout ruins so many fights in the game.

I think that's good design, actually, because the fights are still winnable otherwise. (Though the jungle temple random battles would definitely be much more annoying without Blackout.) FF5 is basically the standout example of a game people love in part because it's full of things like Level 5 Death without letting those invalidate all the other ways of playing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

Glad that it was helpful, and thank you RareAcumen for digging up the links. I'm a little tempted to revise the list sometime. I tried a few of the games on that list I hadn't played yet, and it would probably be a little more useful to people if I wrote down my impressions on what made each entry worth taking a look at.

BTW, looks like one of the devs who made stuff on the list and got a positive reception here has launched a new kickstarter project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jkweath/absinthia

i played through all the lonely wolf treat games (as well as a bunch of the dev's other games) and they were lovely, thanks for highlighting them! not as saccharine as i assumed, in a good way

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it's definitely tuned higher than the rest of the volcano, but there's a trick you can do with any of the bosses that spams AOE attacks: class swap everybody except your main tank to Rogue long enough for them to learn Reflex Stance, and then abuse that stance heavily. your team will be less powerful all being subclassed to rogue, but you'll only need to heal your main tank and keep them on the top of the enmity chart, which is significantly easier than trying to manage damage and debuffs on the entire team

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Citizen Sleeper for tha mothereffin' win.

Citizen Sleeper has a great foundation but it’s clear it either ran out of funds or went through some massive revisions during development.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's definitely tuned higher than the rest of the volcano, but there's a trick you can do with any of the bosses that spams AOE attacks: class swap everybody except your main tank to Rogue long enough for them to learn Reflex Stance, and then abuse that stance heavily. your team will be less powerful all being subclassed to rogue, but you'll only need to heal your main tank and keep them on the top of the enmity chart, which is significantly easier than trying to manage damage and debuffs on the entire team
yeah I think I'm gonna have to do this for the Owlbear, it's absolutely handing me my rear end whenever it gets any number of turns off and I just can't kill it fast enough with one sleep bomb/a couple eye gouges for the physical aoes

if anyone's got any tricks for that enormous lad, do let me know, I see people talking about some stuff being good but I have no idea why it would be (Blackout?! Can you forcibly Enfire the enemy somehow?)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yeah I think I'm gonna have to do this for the Owlbear, it's absolutely handing me my rear end whenever it gets any number of turns off and I just can't kill it fast enough with one sleep bomb/a couple eye gouges for the physical aoes

if anyone's got any tricks for that enormous lad, do let me know, I see people talking about some stuff being good but I have no idea why it would be (Blackout?! Can you forcibly Enfire the enemy somehow?)

The valkyrie class was my go to for dealing with anything meele based. They have a full party defense boost + heal, as well a full party heal+regen, and can apply reraise as well. One of my favorite classes in general because of the massive amount of utility + decent damage

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Valkyrie is a massive power boost, I really recommend it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, Cuno's going through some poo poo. I won the Empathy check with him and didn't expect that he's actually a chill kid for the most part.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I downloaded the Crystal Project demo and goddamn, it is extensive. I figured it would have ended when I got to the Capital but I’m still trucking along, fumbling with class combos and figuring poo poo out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I started up gate of firmament and aside from no controller prompts it seems decent enough.

Is the translation bad enough to need a guide? There's only one walk through on steam and one of the first comments mention that a lot of other online walkthroughs are wrong because of how the game version changed for the final update.

Very little else I can find except people posting that you have to abuse the revival pill crafting to max out your cash as the AI party members will constantly use recovery items.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the other day in the FF thread we talked about how turn-based games are pretty much dead in big budget titles and where we can still get our classic JRPG fix. SMT, Persona, Dragon Quest.... It didn't come up but I was thinking "the Trails games are supposed to be turn-based too, right?" but then on discord somebody said it had a grid element like a tactical RPG. But then somebody else said that's all it had, it ain't no Fire Emblem or whatever.

So I'm thinking it's like Devil Survivor? Those games are basically Persona or SMT transition into turn-based party combat but with a grid element between fights.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yakuza 7 is turn based and probably had a higher budget than 90% of jrpgs released.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No it's just normal turn based combat but there's grid based movement, the walking around in the overworld is just standard walking around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8gAcEWmsBI

Later games don't have a grid but its functionally the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct9u9wdkfqY

The latest game in the series does have more action-y elements than in Cold Steel, but its still the same meat and bones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suOW5Ys7xwU

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 7, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So the other day in the FF thread we talked about how turn-based games are pretty much dead in big budget titles and where we can still get our classic JRPG fix. SMT, Persona, Dragon Quest.... It didn't come up but I was thinking "the Trails games are supposed to be turn-based too, right?" but then on discord somebody said it had a grid element like a tactical RPG. But then somebody else said that's all it had, it ain't no Fire Emblem or whatever.

So I'm thinking it's like Devil Survivor? Those games are basically Persona or SMT transition into turn-based party combat but with a grid element between fights.

Pokemon? You're gonna have to look at RPG maker stuff and on Steam otherwise I think. I don't know if you count Disgaea and XCOM or not personally.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm not familiar with Devil Survivor, but I have played some of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and it's mostly turn-based with some grid elements like movement and AOE attack range. Such don't seem to matter much because the battle zone in very small compared to Fire Emblem or even Disgaea.

I believe the later games move back to a more traditional presentation of turn-based combat.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It's turn based combat but positioning matters sometimes. For a majority of battles, the enemy's position determines which kind of AoE you want to use.

There's occasionally boss battles where if you don't want to just burst them down with S-Gauge attacks you'll want to spend one or two turns positioning your party so that they don't all get repeatedly cleaved by the boss's AoE.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh and also Relayer and Super Robot Wars if those are interesting to you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

I started up gate of firmament and aside from no controller prompts it seems decent enough.

Is the translation bad enough to need a guide? There's only one walk through on steam and one of the first comments mention that a lot of other online walkthroughs are wrong because of how the game version changed for the final update.

Very little else I can find except people posting that you have to abuse the revival pill crafting to max out your cash as the AI party members will constantly use recovery items.

The translation is really, really rough. Main objectives will have ye old glowy marker but sidequests (when I played it at least) were not only translated incomprehensibly but the text would literally go off screen. The story is... understandable but if you're not into Chinese storytelling or expecting a standard trope tail you will get swerved hard and often.

Your AI will drink the recovery items if you let them. I didn't ever have to do anything special for money, but good lord they'll drain you. The game is very easy except for like two horseshit fights late game, and its been so long I can't remember what I did to squeak out the win. Maybe some grinding?

I think my notes are in this thread if you want to check.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 7, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

It didn't come up but I was thinking "the Trails games are supposed to be turn-based too, right?" but then on discord somebody said it had a grid element like a tactical RPG.
why is the premise of this discussion that somehow having movement and positioning be part of your battle mechanics disqualifies you from being a turn-based RPG

if you mean "dragon quest style everyone just stands in a row" you can say that instead of "turn-based"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

RareAcumen posted:

drat, Cuno's going through some poo poo. I won the Empathy check with him and didn't expect that he's actually a chill kid for the most part.

Cuno's a pretty tragic character.