Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, as far as I remember you fight corrupt cops once in the game? Maybe they show up again at one of the Kingpin Construction Site side missions but I don't think so.

It's weird that it only seems to happen once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

This is only tangentially related to the copaganda argument, but I hate that there is a super prison in the Marvel universe called Ryker's Island. New York has a real facility called Rikers Island, but it's a jail, not a supermax prison or anything like that. A lot of people are unaware of the difference between a jail and a prison already, we don't need Marvel adding to the confusion.

I thought the super-prison was Striker's Island? Or is that DC? I know there's a Striker's Island prison somewhere in comics

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The singular cop who is presented as Spider-Man's friend ends up becoming a literal murdering supervillain. Peter in the game is literally defined by constantly trusting people who shouldn't be trusted and having to recover from that. The NYPD tower thing is weird but again this Spider-Man is prone to trusting people. He also helps created Dr. Octopus during the game entirely with good intentions. He constantly trusts Black Cat when he shouldn't. He is defined as wanting to help everyone and trying to see the best in everyone even when it blows the gently caress up in his face and it is an acknowledged and presented character flaw that costs him as often as his helps him.

Like it is copraganda as much as anything that features police in any fashion that isn't violent murderers is going to be but when you have a character who is defined by not wanting to murder people then "they are arrested and sent to jail" is really the only option that makes sense in a modern writing context. You could write that Spider-Man has a secret underground prison he throws everyone in which is monitored by the Fantastic Four or something but uh there was literally an entire comic series about why that is actually super hosed up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 5, 2022

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

TwoPair posted:

I thought the super-prison was Striker's Island? Or is that DC? I know there's a Striker's Island prison somewhere in comics

It's both! Marvel has Ryker's and DC has Stryker's

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This is only tangentially related to the copaganda argument, but I hate that there is a crime family in the Marvel universe called the Maggia. The world has a real crime family called the Maffia but it's a criminal organisation, not a super crime family or anything like that. A lot of people are unaware of the difference between criminal organisations and super crime families run by cyborgs already, we don't need Marvel adding to the confusion.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Skwirl posted:

Outlier. Half his banter while web-swinging is with a police detective where he keeps referring to himself as "Spider-Cop" and you unlock detailed maps (like climbing on tall poo poo in Assassin's Creed games) by repairing the NYPDs surveillance towers.

Edit: I will say the stuff with the Silver Sable pmrc is very anti pmrc and anti militarization of law enforcement.

To be fair that police detective turns out to be an unrepentant murderer who brags about how good it feels to kill a person in the DLC.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the Spider-Cop thing is Peter making jokes about buddy cop movies and not him going "I am actually an officer of the law"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Question IRL posted:

This is only tangentially related to the copaganda argument, but I hate that there is a crime family in the Marvel universe called the Maggia. The world has a real crime family called the Maffia but it's a criminal organisation, not a super crime family or anything like that. A lot of people are unaware of the difference between criminal organisations and super crime families run by cyborgs already, we don't need Marvel adding to the confusion.

Thanks man.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't blame people for not knowing that part of the DLC because nobody played the DLC

but yeah same thing happens to Yuri that happens to her 616 counterpart, full villain mode

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

The Question IRL posted:

wait does this mean that it's called ryker's island because the comics code would've been on their rear end otherwise?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ryker's Island the Living Prison

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Ryker's Island the Living Prison

Jonathan Hickman's Spider-Man spec script.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/GothamKnights/status/1532800531432734720?s=20&t=MIb4nGQJrVFkG1qFqLDjkA

Gee I wonder who thought it was a good idea to release two separate projects with the same name lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MarsPearl posted:

To be fair that police detective turns out to be an unrepentant murderer who brags about how good it feels to kill a person in the DLC.

So she's a cop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/GothamKnights/status/1532800531432734720?s=20&t=MIb4nGQJrVFkG1qFqLDjkA

Gee I wonder who thought it was a good idea to release two separate projects with the same name lol

I'm guessing the games division and the TV division don't talk much and neither was willing to flinch.

They have similar concepts, young Batman proteges taking on his mantle after he dies. I can't think of a good alternate title for either of them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Batman Inc. would've been a suitable name for one or the other.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Arkham Knights would probably have worked better for the game

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

If they are honestly not going to have Batman in it and not have him revealed to be alive or whatever, it's probably better to not put Batman in the title.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Nightwing's rear end and Friends

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Arkham Knights would probably have worked better for the game

But it's not Arkham guys, you don't get it! It's different! ....It's different. We swear.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Waffleman_ posted:

Zack Snyder what have you done

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Blockhouse posted:

I don't blame people for not knowing that part of the DLC because nobody played the DLC

but yeah same thing happens to Yuri that happens to her 616 counterpart, full villain mode

Why is this true? I have the platinum for PS4 Spider-Man, but I never bothered with any of the DLC. Didn't feel compelled to go back for it either. I thought I was the only one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I played it.

It's okay, but the difficulty spikes way too much halfway through, and not in a fun way.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah the DLC is generally agreed upon to not be very good and most people seemed to get their fill from the main game and not bother revisiting it

That's kind of the thing with open world games: even the good ones you don't really hear about the DLC because only the super hardcore are going back for seconds so soon

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the DLC was way too difficult.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

tbh I'd liken Miles Morales to be the "DLC" equivalent in this case even though it was sold as separate. GTA4 and RDR did more or less the same and I'd consider them as top of the class for DLC updates.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The advantage of the DLC for Spider-man was it meant that you didn't have to 100% all the challenges in the main game (and in particular the drat Taskmaster challenges) to unlock all the powers/costumes.

You could dip into the DLC to get the tokens you needed to get the stuff you didn't have.

On the downside, that bloody Screwball boss fight was designed to make you shatter your controller.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

Lol. This was the company where "no, you can't use The Joker on Justice League because we already have The Joker in The Batman and that would confuse people!" was a literal law for years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Lol. This was the company where "no, you can't use The Joker on Justice League because we already have The Joker in The Batman and that would confuse people!" was a literal law for years.

They've gotten better about that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah the DLC is generally agreed upon to not be very good and most people seemed to get their fill from the main game and not bother revisiting it

That's kind of the thing with open world games: even the good ones you don't really hear about the DLC because only the super hardcore are going back for seconds so soon

Meanwhile Ubisoft is out here about to launch a 40-hour DLC on a game that was already 100 hours long.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah the DLC was way too difficult.

Which is funny because I have seen countless posts, usually Reddit or elsewhere, complaining the base game was too easy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The base game is pretty easy, but in my old age, I'm way more likely to bounce off "too hard" than "too easy"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't think Spider-Man or the DLC is too difficult (you can change the difficulty down to "Impossible to die" if you want) but goddam getting all the suits unlocked is just too much of a pain for someone with bad reflexes like me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nah, there is definitely a point in the second chapter where combat encounters start having too many guys and those guys take too much damage. It's not necessarily hard, but it becomes a slog.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Either their playtesters gave them inaccurate experiences or Insomniac was too biased from making Ratchet & Clank games (or both) but I don't think they expected the resistance a lot of players had when it comes to using gadgets. And since the DLC is basically "throw everything you have at enemies" if the player isn't using a bunch of gadgets for guard breaks and crowd control and instant KOs then DLC fights can be really overwhelming. They do seem to have tried emphasizing gadgets more with the Screwball challenges but maybe those were too little too late.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Nah, there is definitely a point in the second chapter where combat encounters start having too many guys and those guys take too much damage. It's not necessarily hard, but it becomes a slog.

I genuinely don't get this when you have like five different combos that are 'instakill a whole room.'

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm 46 and suck at video games, but I platniumed noth games including dlc on the ps4 and then did it again last year when i got the ps5 and beat them both on ultimate. Use your gadgets/venom powers.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox5VgIaBSUk

Midnight Suns release date and leaked heroes confirmed

quote:

The release date for Marvel's Midnight Suns, the turn-based tactical RPG from XCOM developer Firaxis, was made official during today's Summer Game Fest stream: Midnight Suns will be out on October 7.

How Marvel's Midnight Suns is 'the complete opposite' of XCOM

quote:

Here are a few of the ways that Midnight Suns really is the Bizarro version of XCOM (excuse the DC reference):

*In XCOM, each unit acts independently with their own resources. In Midnight Suns, three heroes all share the same turn and resources.
*In XCOM, deciding who to send charging toward near-certain death to complete an objective is an essential part of the experience. In Midnight Suns, it isn't super important which hero lifts the concrete slab off a bystander, just that it gets done.
*In XCOM, you always know what each soldier can do on a turn (shoot at aliens, mostly), but there's a chance they'll miss. In Midnight Suns, your heroes never miss, but what they can do on a turn is always changing, because their abilities are cards dealt from a shuffled deck.
*XCOM concerns such as cover and sightlines mostly don't factor in Midnight Suns. If I play one of Blade's sword attacks, for example, I can pick any target on the field and he'll automatically dash up to them before striking, regardless of how far away he started. As an XCOM player, it was hard to get my head around that. I just had to keep reminding myself that it was Opposite Day.

Although range only sometimes matters in Midnight Suns, directionality often does. Knockback abilities don't do damage unless you knock the enemy backwards into something, for instance. You can only command one hero per turn to move to an arbitrary spot on the map, while the others have to be moved as a consequence of an action they take, such as an attack. My decisions therefore started to resemble those made by pro billiards players, who are not only trying to sink a ball with each shot, but also put the cue ball in an advantageous position for the next one. For example, to effectively use Captain Marvel's Photon Beam, which skewers multiple enemies in a line, I might first have played a card which sent her to punch a goon on the other side of the map so that she'd wind up facing a line of other enemies.

It's an unusual system that could lead to some fun trick shots—you can knock Hydra goons into pits, so it literally becomes like billiards at times—but the spatial complications don't feel essential to Midnight Suns. Whereas the XCOM games are combat simulations that are inextricable from game boards, you could theoretically make a version of Midnight Suns that's purely a card game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sounds worse than xcom in almost every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The souped-up magic whatever redesigns in the trailer make it harder to know who characters are and therefore get excited about them.