Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for using my boyfriend's PS savings to buy a new camera?

Take $80 worth of his things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

bltzn posted:

I drive and bike regularly and a lot of cyclists I see in this city are downright suicidal. Most frequently it's cyclists trying to squeeze past a right turning car, on the right side.

Being in the UK this is on the left for a left turn but I believe according to the new Highway Code rules regarding bicycles, the cyclist has right of way in this situation. I can understand this from a complete stop at a junction but I wouldn’t have the balls to charge and undertake a turning vehicle while muttering “right of way” through clenched teeth.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

DoctorWhat posted:

The most dangerous spot for a cyclist is sharing an intersection with a car. They need to be granted additional opportunites to cross intersections without sharing the crossing with cars. In the absence of seperate bike-only signal cycles, cyclists will bend and break laws to ensure their own safety.

By "splitting lanes" do you mean taking a whole lane? Cyclists absolutely need that power. Cars should not have the legal authority to bully cylists into gutter and double-parked cars that blockade bike lanes.

Yep as Motronic said it’s the opposite.

So many times I’m sitting at a red light and some cyclists wedges themselves between the right side of my car and a parked car, and it’s like, what do I do?

The solution is for bikes to be treated as cars. You take up the whole lane.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You could just let bikes ride on the sidewalk.

I'm 100% serious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I had to look that up after I was surprised that a bicyclist pulled up and passed me on the right as I was at a stoplight, ready to turn right just as the light turned green. All I remember finding was that the usual passing clearance spacing for two-wheeled vehicles was waived if they're human powered.
It's like, yeah buddy, I saw you coming up there but that's not something I'd gamble on with the local drivers even if it is legal.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Upgrade posted:

Yep as Motronic said it’s the opposite.

So many times I’m sitting at a red light and some cyclists wedges themselves between the right side of my car and a parked car, and it’s like, what do I do?

The solution is for bikes to be treated as cars. You take up the whole lane.

When I first got my bike here in the city I kept muttering "I'm a car, I'm a car" while on the road outside of a lane to remind myself until I got it right. City driving/biking is scary as heck coming from the middle of nowhere, there's less space and everyone scrunches up a lot closer.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

trickybiscuits posted:

Anyway, have some appallingly bad advice from Ask Amy!

"Don't feel like she's crossing boundaries, she only has free reign of your home and has displaced you and is cooking food you specifically don't like."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The right turn has to be one of the most frequent causes of car-on-bike accidents, and it is entirely preventable by the cyclists taking a full lane. It pisses drivers off, but it is the safest move at pretty much any intersection regardless of if someone is waiting to turn right. Unless and until proper bike infrastructure is installed, the middle of the lane will remain the safest place for a cyclist to be anywhere that the speed limit is under 40. You are totally visible and cars can see you and go around. If you hang out next to the shoulder some of them will try to pass you in the lane and others will just not see you at all.

The majority of cyclist-involved traffic deaths are caused by sharing the road with cars. I live near a busy stretch of road that connects a couple suburbs. It has some twists and turns, and the limit is 35, one lane in each direction with super narrow bike lanes painted on the side in some places. Of course people go between 40 and 50 most of the time. So if somebody stops to turn left, a lot of people will pass on the right without even slowing down, crossing the bike lane and maybe putting a wheel on the shoulder. There are also no sidewalks so you will sometimes see people walking or (usually poor, minority) women pushing strollers. I have seen the aftermath of cyclists getting creamed on that road a few times, and I am sure pedestrians get hit as well.A separate bike lane and sidewalk with a hard barrier would save lives.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I really need to go home. I can cook and everything, but there's something special about having someone make it for you. Probably touches a very primitive part of the brain.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'd like to hear him explain how him stealing the camera was an accident.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Quackles posted:

You could just let bikes ride on the sidewalk.

I'm 100% serious.

I'm not getting run over so some retired dentist can be king of the All Downtown Streets route on Strava, thanks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr. Stab posted:

I'd like to hear him explain how him stealing the camera was an accident.
"Well I stole your money and accidentally spent it on a camera"

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Woozie66 posted:

"Don't feel like she's crossing boundaries, she only has free reign of your home and has displaced you and is cooking food you specifically don't like."

Yeah. Like - why are the in-laws staying in OP's home, if this requires OP and husband to find other accommodations? It should be the other way around. You don't kick the hosts out of their home if you're visiting.

(The answer is that this lets Mommy Dearest snoop around in their home without being reigned in or discovered.)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Gotta dilligently search for and be appalled by the sex toys

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

I don't understand how better bike infrastructure makes bikes shorter or concrete softer, but okay.

(wear a loving helmet)

Wear a loving helmet in your car, so many easily preventable deaths every year just from drivers not wearing their helmet

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

thetan_guy42 posted:

Wear a loving helmet in your car, so many easily preventable deaths every year just from drivers not wearing their helmet

Wouldn’t the equivalent be seatbelts?

I assume you don’t use that as it would undermine your smugness

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for changing all the locks in my house without letting my mom know?

quote:

When I (23M) was 15 my dad died, My mom (45) didn't wait too long to "start over" and moved her new partner in just 2 months later.

My dad left everything to me and not even a dime to her (they were not married), My dad's will was so structured that she couldn't challenge it, and she attempted and even ask me to pass over one of my properties to her to show my "new" dad that he was welcomed, I couldn't even if I wanted to, because my dad's will was specified that I must be 21 to have access to everything he left me.

This dude had kids (18M, 19F their ages now) and my mom prioritized them to keep him happy, I mean she wasn't like ab*sive or neglectful but she tended to favor them, they went on trips, and even if she didn't tell me not to go she'd say something between the lines as: "Wouldn't you like to go to your grandparents (My dad's) better?" I mean I'm not stupid and I know she didn't want me there.

When I turned 17 she asked me to leave (My own house) because I kept fighting with her dude and I also reminded him of whose house it was, when he wanted to play the man of the house, I also called him John Conroy.

My Grandparents told me to avoid confrontation so I went to live with them, my mom would visit me often and tell me how much she loved but she needed to "keep peace at home"

After college, I decided to check my properties and also the one that my mom is living at, I wanted to renovate it to rent it since it's a good one and can help me to afford my master's, I went there to inform my mom but no one was there (Later I found out they went on vacations) I called her but she didn't answer so I proceeded to change the locks (mainly to officially take possession) they arrived yesterday and could get in, of course, they called me but I wasn't on the town, I went to day because some renovation works will start in few weeks, I was in the back yard and my mom came in furious yelling at me saying how I dare to do that, So we talked and I let them know they have two weeks to leave, her husband (an unemployed oh sorry, self-employed) was furious, my mom and her stepdaughter started crying because the girl is pregnant (I'm sorry) but I made up my mind.

My mom's family is shaming me but I'd like to know if you think I'm TA?

My mom called me today saying we can talk.

edit: I'm not in the USA.

Not really looking for legal advice.

Guys, Life out of the USA exists, there other 194 countries in the world.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

thetan_guy42 posted:

If you're in a car without a fully enclosed passenger compartment, you should almost definitely be wearing a helmet. A neck restraint device isn't a bad idea either.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

AITA for changing all the locks in my house without letting my mom know?

Landlords vs. stepparents, the battle of the century.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Desert Bus posted:

The state I live in, Indiana, doesn't have a motorcycle helmet law, and it's insane how many riders don't wear one.

They do have mandatory eye protection (now).

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Since we're still on the cyclist derail I just want to mention that if you're parking on the street in a high bike traffic area then please practice the Dutch Reach when you exit your car.

Please carry on with the horrifying relationship posts and hot takes that make me feel less bad about being single and lonely.

Cheers. :unsmith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CmdrRiker posted:

Since we're still on the cyclist derail I just want to mention that if you're parking on the street in a high bike traffic area then please practice the Dutch Reach when you exit your car.

Please carry on with the horrifying relationship posts and hot takes that make me feel less bad about being single and lonely.

Cheers. :unsmith:

This felt weird as heck when I started doing it (still does, honestly) but it works.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Whenever I read takes from non-cyclists talking about cyclists on roads I figure that must be what it is like for women hearing conservative lawmakers telling them about their bodies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol man Cyclists sure are weirdos.

Though it could just be online ones

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

GI_Clutch posted:

Whenever I read takes from non-cyclists talking about cyclists on roads I figure that must be what it is like for women hearing conservative lawmakers telling them about their bodies.

Lmao

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Being a cyclist is like being a woman denied an abortion. In this essay I will

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Riding on the sidewalk sucks for the rider and endangers pedestrians. Sure, the majority of people would survive getting knocked over by a cyclist, but it definitely could kill an elderly person. There have been big pushes for dedicated bike lanes where I live in Chicago and it's the simplest and safest solution for everyone.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The footpath should be twice as wide as it is now and have half of it sectioned off for cyclists.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

haveblue posted:

Only losers and nerds die of old age, I want to die early from severe head trauma

:same:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Soylent Pudding posted:

Boyfriend is an idiot. Her taking the money and buying a new camera is actually him getting away with it consequence free but he wants the money back too

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

CmdrRiker posted:

the Dutch Reach

:newlol:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

house of the dad posted:

Riding on the sidewalk sucks for the rider and endangers pedestrians. Sure, the majority of people would survive getting knocked over by a cyclist, but it definitely could kill an elderly person. There have been big pushes for dedicated bike lanes where I live in Chicago and it's the simplest and safest solution for everyone.

We have a fair amount of dedicated bike lanes here in Australia, some of which are strictly delineated with a concrete separator to keep cars out, as well as laws that state that cars must give cyclists at least 1 metre side clearance at all times.

And then a certain set of cyclists decide to either cycle on the car lane side of the concrete separator where it exists, or else right down the painted line of the bike lane, rendering the adjacent car lane illegal to use by law and extremely hazardous to use in practice. Including on one lane streets.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
OK, bikes can have the sidewalk, and pedestrians get the road. Cars are relegated to operating strictly on lawns and golf courses.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
90% of pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers are terrible at walking, cycling, and driving, respectively.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

house of the dad posted:

There have been big pushes for dedicated bike lanes where I live in Chicago and it's the simplest and safest solution for everyone.

Dedicated bike lanes, or as they're called by delivery truck drivers during peak commuting hours; parking spaces.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

trickybiscuits posted:

I just left a job at a college library where the library director partnered with some of the Bio professors- the library had an open-source Biology textbook printed and put into binders, and the professors assigned it as the text for their classes. It was cool.

Anyway, have some appallingly bad advice from Ask Amy!

The advice here is fine, if a little misguided. The real problem is, why are you letting your in-laws stay at your house, if it means that you have to stay at your parents' house? It's lucky they're away. Why aren't the in-laws staying at a hotel? Is it because of the three animals? Are any of them yours? Does your husband have a spine?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for proposing to my GF at my brother's wedding and posting it on social media?

quote:

My brother and his wife got married last week. It was a big beach wedding with about 100 people. While the bride and groom were doing their photoshoot that took an hour, the guest were walking down the beach, having some snacks that were served, talking to each other etc. We were waiting for the dinner to be served and just killing time.

My GF and I have been together for 10 years and have a kid together. Marriage just never came up. We are both reaaally not the romantic type. When our son was born, I jokingly told her I'd propose to her on a beach at sunset someday.

So after the wedding we were walking down the beach. We were alone, noone was even paying any attention to us at all because there were 100 people there. I just asked her "so, beach at sunset... Will you marry me?". She said, we had a good laugh, took a selfie together and slowly walked back to the site of the reception.

We haven't told anyone we are getting married yet, it will be a courthouse wedding anyway. Two days ago my GF posted that selfie on her social media, tagged me and wrote a caption "finally marrying the love of my life, and a sunset beach proposal!". Now everyone who knows us KNEW it was a sarcastic caption and knew it was more a joking post than anything else.

Brother and SIL called us very upset hours after that post. SIL said we ridiculed their wedding with our post. Brother said I'm an AH for proposing at someone else's wedding.

Aita?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for proposing to my GF at my brother's wedding and posting it on social media?

rear end in a top hat thing is announcing it at the wedding, not doing it, yeesh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Breetai posted:

We have a fair amount of dedicated bike lanes here in Australia, some of which are strictly delineated with a concrete separator to keep cars out, as well as laws that state that cars must give cyclists at least 1 metre side clearance at all times.

And then a certain set of cyclists decide to either cycle on the car lane side of the concrete separator where it exists, or else right down the painted line of the bike lane, rendering the adjacent car lane illegal to use by law and extremely hazardous to use in practice. Including on one lane streets.

Many cyclists do not trust concrete seperated lanes because they force them into bad positions if a car decides to make a right turn. This can be alleviated with aggressive daylighting of intersections and well placed bollards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Family Friend (18F) and I (18M) started dating but our families are upset about it. We’re so confused

quote:

So my now GF and I have known each other our entire lives. Our families have been friends for a long time now so we were always close. My GF and I had feelings for each other for a while but never acted on it until a few months ago. We secretly dated until 2 weeks ago when we went to Prom together. We thought everyone would think it was the coolest thing ever but they had the opposite reaction. They told us we weren’t allowed to date and that was that.

The only explanation we got is that it’s weird because we’re basically family. Which doesn’t make sense because we’re not related. We’re just so confused about why they’re acting like this. We’re not going to stop because we’re going away to college in a couple months, but it’s frustrating that they’re ruining this for us. Anyone have an idea why they’re doing this or how we can get them to change their minds?

I've been around reddit long enough to know how these go... :smith:

UPDATE

quote:

There’s good news and there’s awful news. Good news is no incest here, we’re not related. Awful news is our parents are poly and basically a foursome. We were trying to get an answer out of our parents all day yesterday but they kept giving the same BS excuses. We called my gf’s older sister to see if she knew why they didn’t want us together. We knew she would try to help us because she definitely wanted us to be together. She caught the four of them together one time a few years ago and was told to keep it a secret. She told her grandparents about it and it caused a big fight that eventually got resolved.

We confronted our parents about it and they confirmed. It didn’t start until all 4 of their children were born so we’re definitely not related. We asked them what they expected us to do and they said break up so they could continue their relationship. They thought we had more of a brother/sister relationship and were surprised that it was actually romantic. Not really proud of it but we flipped out on them. I don’t have anything against the poly lifestyle but it’s weird when people you’re close to are into it. We told them it’s unfair of them to have a relationship that will be hidden forever while my Gf and I can’t have a public one. They said we were young and would probably break up one day so it’s better to end it now to keep peace in the family. We left and went to stay at her sister’s apartment.

Now what? Why does this have to be so complicated? We can’t just break up and pretend like nothing happened to please our parents. It’s also super hypocritical of them to use the “basically family” excuse at first while they are doing the same loving thing. We’re so lost right now. What should we do?

TL;DR: Our parents are poly and want us to break up for their relationship to continue.

Well... Ok... That's a new one. Hey Mom and Dad! The new generation is keeping up the tradition!