Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Edit: lovely snipe

amethystbliss posted:

Saw this while scrolling local Zillow listings.

therobit posted:

Are you posting this because of the awful fireplace or because of the lovely way they turned their living room into more kitchen that is the first thing you see walking through the front door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure that fireplace is just "how did you heat a house effectively 100+ years ago". Lots of brick because it retains heat well, stick it in the middle of the house so you don't radiate anything to the outdoors and so it's close to where you spend your time. The actual brickwork is competent, and while the asymmetry may be a bit visually displeasing, I assume it was done very intentionally. Maybe that's a warming shelf or something.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Can you turn a fireplace into a hearth?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It may just be an artifact of photography, but it looks like that hearth smokes, in which case it is a very bad fireplace and its mason should be ashamed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gromit posted:

What was the Dall-E prompt that generated this?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"biblically accurate house"

BE NOT A-FRAMED

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

BE NOT A-FRAMED

Fuckin got me lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pretty sure that fireplace is just "how did you heat a house effectively 100+ years ago"

Doesn't look like a kakluuni to me, champ.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Doesn't look like a kakluuni to me, champ.

It's not finnished.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
There's something about those photos that makes it look unreal. There's something off about it, like the whole room is a 3D render and then someone pasted that chimney in photoshop, or paint.

At any rate it looks like a bog standard open fireplace, probably the chimney goes straight up and 90% of the energy is lost.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Wasabi the J posted:

BE NOT A-FRAMED

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

therobit posted:

Are you posting this because of the awesome fireplace or because of the lovely way they turned their living room into more kitchen that is the first thing you see walking through the front door?
More because of the ergonomics of operating the oven and the fridge so close to the fireplace. And the floor transition with differing plank widths that happens near the middle of the oven. And the boring white cabinetry that continues into the next room so one singular base cabinet can hold a microwave. The asymmetry of the fireplace also looks weird but probably serves a purpose.

His Divine Shadow posted:

There's something about those photos that makes it look unreal. There's something off about it, like the whole room is a 3D render and then someone pasted that chimney in photoshop, or paint.
Agreed. I think the photos look off because it's a super old historic house built in 1838 and someone just slapped a builder grade kitchen in it and called it a day. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3997-Whitney-Ave-Hamden-CT-06518/57924332_zpid/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It may just be an artifact of photography, but it looks like that hearth smokes, in which case it is a very bad fireplace and its mason should be ashamed.

If there’s smoke it’s probably because they failed to clean it for a long time. This is one of the few applications where a brick fireplace can help heat a home, and it’s possible that when the kitchen was a separate room the refrigerator was in a different location and there was a cook stove that vented into the chimney on the other side of that fireplace. It probably predates electric refrigeration. The asymatry is partially from the angle of the shot and partially because they may have had a warmer there or some other additional function that used heat given off by the fireplace. The big problem with fireplaces in most mid-century homes is that they are often located on outside walls so you have a giant mass of bricks that is partly outside in cold weather and it fucks up the draw.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A fireplace can be quite an efficient way of heating a house, as long as you use a "kakluuni" and is common in modern homes still in finland. Up to 90% efficiency reported.

e: Also I wonder if that chimney leaks, over here it's mandatory to put render over bare brick chimneys that are inside living areas because they tend to develop leaks.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 6, 2022

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Gromit posted:

What was the Dall-E prompt that generated this?

Groverhaus but with an a-frame

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wasabi the J posted:

BE NOT A-FRAMED

:golfclap:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Wasabi the J posted:

BE NOT A-FRAMED

Thread title

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

therobit posted:

If there’s smoke it’s probably because they failed to clean it for a long time. This is one of the few applications where a brick fireplace can help heat a home, and it’s possible that when the kitchen was a separate room the refrigerator was in a different location and there was a cook stove that vented into the chimney on the other side of that fireplace. It probably predates electric refrigeration. The asymatry is partially from the angle of the shot and partially because they may have had a warmer there or some other additional function that used heat given off by the fireplace. The big problem with fireplaces in most mid-century homes is that they are often located on outside walls so you have a giant mass of bricks that is partly outside in cold weather and it fucks up the draw.

Smoke could also be from previous owners who failed at Using the Damper 101, or didn't know how to deal with backdraft.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does anyone ITT remember an European artist/architect that spent decades making the interior of their garden shed into that sort of thing l but then they/the Nazis/someone else/just fire lol burnt it down? I saw a documentary on TV about the guy once but that was like 20 years ago :(

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Does anyone ITT remember an European artist/architect that spent decades making the interior of their garden shed into that sort of thing l but then they/the Nazis/someone else/just fire lol burnt it down? I saw a documentary on TV about the guy once but that was like 20 years ago :(

so it was ACTUALLY broadcast in 1960, is what you're saying?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

:tif:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

so it was ACTUALLY broadcast in 1960, is what you're saying?

I wasn't alive 1960 years ago!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

His Divine Shadow posted:

At any rate it looks like a bog standard open fireplace, probably the chimney goes straight up and 90% of the energy is lost.

I'm pretty sure the "fire" is a picture pasted in. It has no depth, and is exactly the same in the first two pictures.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Low effort. The four of these I found in my attic over the first decade of ownership were each wrapped in at least an entire roll of friction tape.

:gonk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Motronic posted:

Because that used to be a spiral staircase and that room used to be the hallway.

I've seen bullshit like this in a ton of old houses around here that used to have spiral "back" (usually just off the kitchen) stairways that have been badly converted into various configurations of straight stairways during remodels.

I lived in a place like this which had an ultra steep, uneven take on servant's stairs that lead up to where my bedroom was. It was basically Minecraft spiral stairs at such a steep grade it became a side-show attraction for guests where we'd ask them to "imagine trying to get up these stairs drunk and in the dark."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

At least the telescoping probably made it easy to install?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nice.

I turned mine into a bong, but whatever.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nice.

I turned mine into a bong, but whatever.

that is sick!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's just PVC pipe rammed inside the launcher, so it's not exactly wise to smoke from it, yet kinda thread appropriate.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
What is that?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
M72 LAW tube.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
http://www.military-today.com/firearms/m72_law.htm

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How did you spill that much ranch at once?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is your decriminalized substance paraphernalia an unregistered destructive device?

IT'S MORE LIKELY THAN YOU THINK!

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 8, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Perfectly legal to own as long as it's demilled (check state/city laws), not even a background check, used to be in every milsurp store in the country in the 90s for $50-250. They still pop up in milsurp stores, just much rarer now. AT4 tubes have been trickling through milsurp stores the past decade or so, but they're typically much pricier.

I got mine at my last duty station. We were cleaning out a training equipment container and it was casually tossed into the trash pile, and I happened to mistake my trunk for a dumpster. It was already drilled, I gutted the controls later so it will never be functional again, but I should have kept them to rig up LEDs or something.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Minor for this thread, but found in an otherwise supposedly upscale hotel.

I like the cable guide for... style, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How did you spill that much ranch at once?
I am willing to go on record and state, in no uncertain terms, that ranch is gross.