Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zamujasa posted:

the dems do not want to win because winning means doing something. they want to win enough that they keep the game close but do not meaningfully alter the outcome. their ideal is to be one seat away from holding a majority.

What people don't understand is that Republicans want to win and to exercise power. Democrat leadership and the consultant class are perfectly fine being a permanent minority in both the Senate and the House since they'll still maintain personal power which is worth many a lifetimes fortune in cushy gigs for themselves and family.

The worst thing Trump did to Democrat leadership was pointing out the abject naked hypocrisy of Hunter Biden failing into one amazing gig after another. He's not an aberration, he's the standard. That's why none of these ghouls ever want to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the dnc defender has logged on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

is it you?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Unless the Supreme Court, President,and Congress suddenly decide not to suck off cops and pass new laws and establish totally new precedents overturning years of bullshit there’s no way you’re going to have a lawsuit against the Chief that establishes a duty to act for the police, make that strictly constitutional and somehow retroactive, and then on top of that proves the requirements to overcome qualified immunity for violating that right.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm in the camp of the DNC being closer to a bunch of people who cant agree on policy, mostly because a not insignificant group of them are basically republicans who figured out the "i'm socially liberal, but fiscally conservative" trick that snotty teenagers and republicans use at parties. Rather than an evil cabal of lanyard twirling consultants(although they're in the party as well)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The party as a whole maybe but the DNC definitely agrees on what they want to do, which is change nothing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Since this came up a bit recently in the thread, Jan 6th hearings start on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/1533454492313722880?t=lzSzkXLOrX-da5S-blexzA&s=19

They've essentially abandoned the longshot stuff because they all know that with the House likely to change hands, all the poo poo would get buried. So they're not getting into a slog with longshot poo poo like Donnie testifying or slowdown stuff.

Now of course, it might not lead up to anything concrete, but they will be publishing all the poo poo and they've been talking back/forth with the DOJ.

The dirty secret of most of the poo poo related to January 6th is that the organizational poo poo and fake elector slates will likely be revealed as non-criminally punishable. Law is fake.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat I guess those Congress members that conspired with the insurrectionists will just have to live with the shame of being awful Congress members

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Two more mass shootings. Philadelphia and Chattanooga.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat I guess those shooters that carried out these attacks will just have to live with the shame of being awful firearms users

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

drat I guess those Congress members that conspired with the insurrectionists will just have to live with the shame of being awful Congress members

maffew buildings posted:

drat I guess those shooters that carried out these attacks will just have to live with the shame of being awful firearms users

I feel this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Since this came up a bit recently in the thread, Jan 6th hearings start on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/1533454492313722880?t=lzSzkXLOrX-da5S-blexzA&s=19

They've essentially abandoned the longshot stuff because they all know that with the House likely to change hands, all the poo poo would get buried. So they're not getting into a slog with longshot poo poo like Donnie testifying or slowdown stuff.

Now of course, it might not lead up to anything concrete, but they will be publishing all the poo poo and they've been talking back/forth with the DOJ.

The dirty secret of most of the poo poo related to January 6th is that the organizational poo poo and fake elector slates will likely be revealed as non-criminally punishable. Law is fake.

Here's the complete list of consequences that will come of the attempted coup:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

Here's the complete list of consequences that will come of the attempted coup:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i wonder at what point america finally crosses the threshold of being seen as a failed state amidst collapse by the general populace, because it feels like it's gotta be getting close

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zamujasa posted:

i wonder at what point america finally crosses the threshold of being seen as a failed state amidst collapse by the general populace, because it feels like it's gotta be getting close

You could make an argument that that happened when New Orleans got wrecked

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You could make an argument that that happened when New Orleans got wrecked

Yeah, good point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

Food riots.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Pray for me as I pick through the rubble of New Orleans trying to find scraps of leftover bandwidth.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

Food riots.

What, you mean you're not looking *forward* to lining up, likely armed, at 3am every morning in the hopes you're able to get *something* off the grocery store's questionably-daily delivery? Provided it wasn't hijacked en-route?

I mean, think of the *community building*! You'll make new friends in line...right up until trampling them to get to the bread loaves. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 6, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What, you mean you're not looking *forward* to lining up, likely armed, at 3am every morning in the hopes you're able to get *something* off the grocery store's questionably-daily delivery? Provided it wasn't hijacked en-route?

I mean, think of the *community building*! You'll make new friends in line...right up until trampling them to get to the bread loaves. :smith:

That's not a riot, that's just chronic shortages. Riots are when people burn the building down when they haven't gotten anything from standing in line outside it for a week.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

Never.

Imperial collapse is not recognized as such by most of the empire’s inhabitants.

You, I, and Gibbons may point to A.D. 476 as the fall of the Western Roman Empire, but that’s not how the people of the Eternal City saw it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The American empire ended the day the EU grounded the 737-MAX. That’s the day “the Americans said it was fine” stopped carrying any weight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

That's not a riot, that's just chronic shortages. Riots are when people burn the building down when they haven't gotten anything from standing in line outside it for a week.

That's why I included trampling to get to the bread. :colbert:

And why stop there - a whole bunch of white suburbanites hanging out in front of a supermarket sounds like a nice target for gangs! :shepface:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Not sure but it seems you're implying the white people are the targets of gangs of... whom exactly?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Not sure but it seems you're implying the white people are the targets of gangs of... whom exactly?

I'm saying that - in general - groups of people waiting outside in the early morning hours are decidedly vulnerable to all manners of poo poo.

Like - for a hyper-specific example - being followed by two pricks in your car for 30+ minutes.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 6, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

America, 2024. Firefights at the grocery store are routine. Union members vote in favour of a strike action demanding Level IIIA body armour to be issued to all cashiers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

America, 2024. Firefights at the grocery store are routine. Union members vote in favour of a strike action demanding Level IIIA body armour to be issued to all cashiers.

Please. Like there'll be cashiers in 2024.

Bulletproof self-checkout kiosks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zamujasa posted:

It isn’t really. The threshold for failed state is pretty high. We’ve slid faster than anyone else recently but places like Mexico or India are worse than the US and nobody would call them failed states.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/dahvnyc/status/1512131131424059393

It’s real, and that sort of talent is why I believe that Eric Adams is winning America’s Worst Mayor.

Go to seven and a half minutes if it isn’t already cued up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51J_eS5iywg&t=456s

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/dahvnyc/status/1512131131424059393

It’s real, and that sort of talent is why I believe that Eric Adams is winning America’s Worst Mayor.

Go to seven and a half minutes if it isn’t already cued up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51J_eS5iywg&t=456s

I suppose Mark would be clearing homeless encampments by housing them:

quote:

As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up, knelt down before him, and asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 Jesus answered him, “Why do you call me good?[a] No one is good but God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; you shall not defraud; honor your father and your mother.’” 20 He replied and said to him, “Teacher, all of these I have observed from my youth.” 21 Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said to him, “You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to [the] poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” 22 At that statement his face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

but I don't think Adams is doing that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bojo facing confidence vote, may be gone by tomorrow

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

It isn’t really. The threshold for failed state is pretty high. We’ve slid faster than anyone else recently but places like Mexico or India are worse than the US and nobody would call them failed states.

Buddy if you're not yelling FAILED STATE and LATE CAPITALISM at least 19 times a day when somebody cuts you off in traffic I'm going to have to pull your twitter card

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I suppose Mark would be clearing homeless encampments by housing them:

but I don't think Adams is doing that.

Thanks to crypto dying, Adams is now poor enough to get into heaven

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
everyone point and laugh at the murderous dweeb

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1533789604880470017?t=upErXaMKfnP-30BvCzpSOQ&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can always tell a Liberty man

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Please. Like there'll be cashiers in 2024.

Bulletproof self-checkout kiosks.

Warning, Carls Junior frown on vandalism. Warning, Carls Junior frowns on vandalism. Please step back, deploying tear gas. Please come back when you can afford to make a purchase

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Welcome to Costco.

I love you.

E: goddamn idiocracy was a glimpse into the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7SaO0JAHk

gently caress you, I'm eating.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 6, 2022

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I can always tell a Liberty man

He has more of a Regent vibe to me. He’ll be clerking for Justice I love Beer in no time.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think the US might be a uniquely fragile state despite it’s vast wealth.

Or maybe because it’s vast wealth? Like the high degree of concentration of wealth means that state security apparatus and those with influence will continue to be insulated while having the ability to prevent the rise of “legitimate” challenge to their power like unions or grassroots politics as well as illegal dual power structures like gangs or insurgent groups functioning as local governments in places with real failed states like Palestine, Brazilian slums or rural Mexico and India. That plus culturally and historically sets up America to be maybe pretty brittle when a significant number of people really start to feel it in stuff like food prices, like we got a quick mini taste of during the baby formula thing.

Bread prices to median wage is I think the number one predictor of violent civil unrest and because America is a weird combination of vast wealth yet relative inequality and oligarchic capture of institutions I think it’s prone to breaking much faster since it doesn’t have all the safety valves or sort of unofficial institutions states that are much worse off do. Like how quick the USSR folded.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Welcome to Costco.

I love you.

E: goddamn idiocracy was a glimpse into the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7SaO0JAHk

gently caress you, I'm eating.

I've always wondered how much of it was a drect response to Demolition Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol ehat we are experiencing is a reversal of the progress of the second half of the 20th century. We still have a long, long way to go to reach failed state levels.

Which isnt to say we wont get there - there are issues on the horizon that absolutely have the capacity to cripple the USA. But things are definitely going to get way worse before we reach a pre-civil war state of affairs