Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, the DPA could be used for a lot of good poo poo. I'm not an attorney, but as near as I can figure, any president could end the housing crisis with the stroke of a pen by using eminent domain to forcibly acquire empty properties/AirBnBs, then use the DPA to force developers to redevelop them into denser housing and ignore zoning poo poo since federal law trumps state and local law.

But we live in a neoliberal hellworld, so anything that's actually good is never gonna happen.

eminent domain exists to throw people out of their homes and gift their property to companies for a vague, non-binding promise of increased tax revenue. its purpose is not to help people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

any president that used the dpa to do something that might be described as "good" would find themselves impeached by unanimous vote in the house and convicted by unanimous vote in the senate. probably that afternoon

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

then they'd probably be killed

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Any president who tried to use the imperial tools to help regular people would quickly find themselves canoed by jsoc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Starting to think that the democrats might be very stupid.

https://twitter.com/justinwolfers/status/1533639146824155136?s=21&t=1qFWprAtEX8W1e54ft-GYQ

Probably going to get destroyed in 2022.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

Thoguh posted:

https://twitter.com/justinwolfers/status/1533639146824155136?s=21&t=1qFWprAtEX8W1e54ft-GYQ

God in heaven. Can't do poo poo, jack!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Everything is fine you absolute idiots!

In fact it's better than fine!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I dont understand, the rich are getting richer at astronomical rates. Why are the proles so upset??

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thoguh posted:

"Hmm....maybe Biden is a bad president."

"No, it's media reporting that's wrong!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pretend that I posted that edit of the “this is fine” comic where the flames are changed to green.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Just give everyone a $500 economic stimulus check in September. Probably too dumb to figure that out. Even idiot trump knew to put his stupid signature on it.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Just give everyone a $500 economic stimulus check in September. Probably too dumb to figure that out. Even idiot trump knew to put his stupid signature on it.

whoa whoa whoa, giving people money? seems like a pretty trump presidency thing to do

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Platystemon posted:

Pretend that I posted that edit of the “this is fine” comic where the flames are changed to green.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

SirPablo posted:

I think trump would have won if he kept handing out checks and I think he learned this, but a bit too late, iirc towards the end he appeared to be scrambling to send even more money ???

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
Also that money is earmarked for ukraine

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Hmm....maybe Biden is a bad president."

"No, it's media reporting that's wrong!"

why aren't they happy that the rich are getting richer and biden is handing the next republican administration a huge shiny blank check to do whatever they want with

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

tenderjerk posted:

I think trump would have won if he kept handing out checks and I think he learned this, but a bit too late, iirc towards the end he appeared to be scrambling to send even more money ???

Iirc the rest of the republicans in congress started balking at more stimulus. And by that I mean McConnell

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Zvahl posted:

why aren't they happy that the rich are getting richer and biden is handing the next republican administration a huge shiny blank check to do whatever they want with

:iiam:

These people clearly don't understand how politics work, which is why we need to make a 100 slide powerpoint to explain why they should be grateful.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

explaining this is technically not a recession and how a recession is actually a totally different thing in macroeconomics from rampant inflation, high cost of living, unaffordable housing, $6 gas, and baby formula shortages while passers by piss on my face

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

THS2 posted:

explaining this is technically not a recession and how a recession is actually a totally different thing in macroeconomics from rampant inflation, high cost of living, unaffordable housing, $6 gas, and baby formula shortages while passers by piss on my face

The media is crawling up it's own rear end to explain that actually everything is great and actually nothing can ever be done in the future.

I'm getting so tired of reading this same article on every subject.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

SirPablo posted:

even if the Democrats did give a stimulus (they won't) it would be in the form of a tax credit that would gently caress you out of getting a refund later assuming you're one of the three people that actually satisfies their 800 page means testing scheme

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

any kind of government intervention into the market has been made effectively or literally illegal over the last 40 years to make stock prices go up and here's why that's actually a good thing as the market requires ever greater infusions of human blood to keep running

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

the bitcoin of weed posted:

any kind of government intervention into the market has been made effectively or literally illegal over the last 40 years to make stock prices go up and here's why that's actually a good thing as the market requires ever greater infusions of human blood to keep running

Except for when every huge corporation gets bailed out immediately after they ask for it.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lord of Pie posted:

even if the Democrats did give a stimulus (they won't) it would be in the form of a tax credit that would gently caress you out of getting a refund later assuming you're one of the three people that actually satisfies their 800 page means testing scheme

they already did that it’s called the advanced child tax credit

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

THS2 posted:

note: it might also technically be a recession, they just haven't released the numbers for this quarter yet

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

SirPablo posted:

that's a hundred less than he currently owes everyone

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

i am harry posted:

they already did that it’s called the advanced child tax credit

A8. The majority of individuals who need to repay excess advance Child Tax Credit payments will satisfy that balance through a reduction in their expected federal income tax refund. However, if you owe a balance in excess of your refund, the IRS routinely works with taxpayers who owe amounts they cannot afford to pay.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pryor on Fire posted:

The media is crawling up it's own rear end to explain that actually everything is great and actually nothing can ever be done in the future.

I'm getting so tired of reading this same article on every subject.

I'm actually thrilled because now I don't have to agonize over voting for a senile rapist or let Trump become president again because the president can't really do anything! Dilemma deleted!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i am harry posted:

Professor @UMichEcon
& @FordSchool
| @NYTimes
contributor | Senior Fellow @BrookingsInst
& @PIIE
| Intro Econ textbook author | Think Like an Economist podcast

lmao

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:iiam:

These people clearly don't understand how politics work, which is why we need to make a 100 slide powerpoint to explain why they should be grateful.

Politics is when I do nothing and then shame you into voting ---

OH NO NOT THIRD PARTY

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

SirPablo posted:

joe brandon still owes me 1200

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

papa horny michael posted:

A8. The majority of individuals who need to repay excess advance Child Tax Credit payments will satisfy that balance through a reduction in their expected federal income tax refund. However, if you owe a balance in excess of your refund, the IRS routinely works with taxpayers who owe amounts they cannot afford to pay.

also this expired and won't be renewed. lmao.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stop talking about "i'm starving," "the pemmican crats are going to get destroyed in 1762". pemmican manufacture is at an all time high

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i am harry posted:

SES Anderson

socioeconomic status

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

THS2 posted:

This might only last them til the end of June, since a recession is technically two quarters in a row of negative GDP growth, Q1 already was negative, and its a definite possibility Q2 will be, so it could blow up in their face right near the election anyway. Even their dumb "technically I'm right" arguments are just setting them up to get destroyed later

basically this

A Buttery Pastry posted:

note: it might also technically be a recession, they just haven't released the numbers for this quarter yet

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Thoguh posted:

the economy exists to enrich capitalists which it's doing a terrific job of doing, but for some reason when we ask ordinary people how the economy is going they tell us that poo poo loving sucks and they hate it

wtf is wrong don't these morons understand that rich people are profiting immensely from all this war, death, and disease? how much more war, death, and disease does the system need to deliver to convince these swing voters to vote democrat?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

dnc consultant: at this point the only way democrats can stay alive in the midterms is if biden picks a country - any country - to directly invade, and also finally release that weaponized smallpox virus on the population. even that might not be enough but it's a start. if that turns out not to be enough I strongly suggest sending fbi agents into people homes and terrorizing them for hoarding baby formula.

the government should confiscate people's 401k balances to pay for more weapons to ukraine. everybody has to sacrifice or putin wins. this is the kind of strong leadership swing voters look for in a president

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I sometimes think the Democrats want to be destroyed too badly for it to actually happen but they sure are right on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

the white hand posted:

tom bilsack

"We shall suffer these babies to live. For a price" --Nestlé

tom ballsack