Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

my country yearns for the freedom of atomic fire
For one glorious moment all those rooftop solar panels would generate 18 million times the national power usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps that could be the nuclear deterrant. A big laser cannon aimed at moscow, connected directly to the national grid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Another genius plan for the Daily Express Main Character

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol https://twitter.com/joolsd/status/1533451757833048065

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

lol at all the centrists on twitter insisting that this time Bojo is done for, as if he isn't going to survive the confidence vote easily and the whole thing isn't going to be forgotten by tomorrow morning

The problem for centrists is they are so invested in both sides that they think there's no way their MPs could be so undecorous. It's good poo poo

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Boris Johnson is a sweaty vonce?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

incidentally

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Szmitten posted:

Boris Johnson is a sweaty vonce?
Boris Vonceson

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hilarity timeline - Boris gets vonced, hits the self destruct button by calling a GE, ken gets fined by durham police and resigns, andy burnham somehow becomes leader by accident, conservatives are left with a ge to win and a not entirely poo poo opposition. Putin nukes the uk and it turns out it was all for nowt anyway.

Seems like as good a way as any to spend the summer

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

my country yearns for the freedom of atomic fire

You should be so lucky, you will get endless London Smog... and you will like it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Rustybear posted:

there isn't time to run a leadership election with the clock running on a six week short campaign so they'd have to fight with him as leader and pick up the pieces later;

Why would they? Why not the deputy, or the party chair, or the 1982 committee chair, or whoever their rulebook states picks up the slack? Him being removed would, by definition, mean that a majority of the MPs do not think a GE campaign with him in charge is a good career choice. It's not any different to any other interim leader situation and there's no such thing as a prospective parliamentary prime minister, you are completely free to not say who your pm would be until you actually need one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

Burnham winning a parliament seat in that time and then the Labour leadership seems unlikely tbh

Labour would change the rules, insert Burnham into Islington North (if it still exists at the time of the next GE - not sure what the boundary changes are or when they'll kick in). I don't know whether Corbyn would stand as an independent or not.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61578618

quote:

16 April 2021: Two gatherings in Downing Street to mark the departures of No 10 officials

Two separate leaving events took place in No 10, one for director of communications James Slack and one for another official
Alcohol was consumed and speeches were made at both events, and the two groups eventually came together in the Downing Street garden
Some people damaged a child's swing/slide in the garden
Staff members stayed until the early hours, the last leaving at 4.20am
Gatherings of two or more people indoors or more than six outdoors were prohibited

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Present Labour will run with kieth with the aim to say nothing and lose so they can angle for Wee Streaming to be the new leader of the forever opposition.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I THINK THAT ROBERT KIL-ROY-SILK WOULD BE A GOOD PRIME MINISTAR FOR BRITAN AND FOR OWAR COUNTRY I THINK HE WOULD STAND UP TO THEM LOONY LEFTY BARMY EUROCRATS,

IN,

BRUSSELLS,

AND THE LABOWR-PARTY

AND HE WOULD BE A GOOD AMBASIDOOR FOR, BEST OF BRITISH, BRITAN

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Oh, so now it's HIS boy, he wants to change his mind.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1533759627132796929?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cold War Steve is getting better by the day.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

forkboy84 posted:

Certainly not Boris.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1533798992626204673?t=Cn4qPNA7U4areV77q1XEPA&s=19

Extremely funny how willing Harry Cole is to go to bat for the guy who made him a cuckold.

all the ex-guido lot are best mates with carrie and henry newman etc and are all in full renfield mode at the moment

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Nadine to the rescue:
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1533806064466116608

edit: the prime minister is a changed, humbled, man. he has learnt his lesson and deserves another chance.
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1533840391803482113?cxt=HHwWgsC9-bXtpckqAAAA

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hilarity timeline - Boris gets vonced, hits the self destruct button by calling a GE, ken gets fined by durham police and resigns, andy burnham somehow becomes leader by accident, conservatives are left with a ge to win and a not entirely poo poo opposition. Putin nukes the uk and it turns out it was all for nowt anyway.

brenda cedes her immortality to invoke the Ultimate Jubilee, an ancient rite to shield albion in times of greatest need

regrettably, the uk is saved

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Spangly A posted:

Why would they? Why not the deputy, or the party chair, or the 1982 committee chair, or whoever their rulebook states picks up the slack? Him being removed would, by definition, mean that a majority of the MPs do not think a GE campaign with him in charge is a good career choice. It's not any different to any other interim leader situation and there's no such thing as a prospective parliamentary prime minister, you are completely free to not say who your pm would be until you actually need one.

becasue with your seat and career on the line do you:

a. have a two week+ and probably inconclusive knife fight over which non-entity with zero public profile is the face of the campaign while the other parties make massive inroads on the ground
b. panic, back boris and pray

also i'm not saying this is fool-proof nailed-on strategy. i'm saying its one more roll of the dice, and given the circumstance why is he going to refuse it

other people wouldn't becasue they're constrained by delusions of dignity, integrity, respect for themselves and others etc

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Just Another Lurker posted:

It's like a toned down version of Hurling. :shrug:

Hurling is awesome, so that must make Shinty pretty loving good.

That other thing is also very good, kinda a bit like football, sort of...

Gaelic Football!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Rustybear posted:

becasue with your seat and career on the line do you:

a. have a two week+ and probably inconclusive knife fight over which non-entity with zero public profile is the face of the campaign while the other parties make massive inroads on the ground
b. panic, back boris and pray

also i'm not saying this is fool-proof nailed-on strategy. i'm saying its one more roll of the dice, and given the circumstance why is he going to refuse it

other people wouldn't becasue they're constrained by delusions of dignity, integrity, respect for themselves and others etc

But he's already briefed that threat this morning. It is factored into the vote. They would need to change their own rules to allow him to stay for an election where he's going to be utterly unhinged and uninterested.

It's just not going to happen

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

So Polly Toynbee says he's a dead man walking, but Nadine Dorries says he isn't? This is a difficult one. Who do I not believe?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only thing that can beat a wrong person with a wrong take is a wronger person with a wronger take.

Both of them are battling it out on the plane of existence known only as the micturition syncope.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As the nuclear bombs hit and Slough is annihilated, Morrissey sits back in his chair and thumbs the remote. "Yes." He says quietly to himself. "Yes."

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Deketh posted:

Is it ever a viable strategy for a PM to smuggle in a vonc against themselves that they know they would win, just for the optics of getting easy approval?

John Major did exactly this in 95.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I have realised that what I now want to see, more than anything in the world, is a Leadership debate between Raab, Truss and Dorries

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The Beeb is saying he’s widely expected to win comfortably.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DickEmery posted:

I have realised that what I now want to see, more than anything in the world, is a Leadership debate between Raab, Truss and Dorries

Sadly, I think even other Tory MPs are aware of how astonishingly thick Nadine Dorries is.

/\ /\ /\
The BBC's coverage of the Tube strike today was so wildly hysterical in tone you'd have thought that no other methods of transport were available.
Remember that the BBC reports on politics by just retweeting or doing a copy/paste on a message they've been sent by Boris' chief of staff.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 6, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Christ if it hadn't been full of Tories that sounds like a decent party tbh

Halisnacks posted:

The Beeb is saying he’s widely expected to win comfortably.

Of course he is and it's laughable that anyone would think the result would be anything different in tyool 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jollity Farm posted:

So Polly Toynbee says he's a dead man walking, but Nadine Dorries says he isn't? This is a difficult one. Who do I not believe?

Um... it turns out he is a dead man, but in a wheelchair?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I can't wait to find out how they absolutely fail to get rid of that loving parasite this time.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Rustybear posted:

if he calls a genuine snap election they'll have to fight it with him as interim leader and if he then wins that GE are they really going to boot him?

getting deep into the weeds of process now but if he loses then he is still caretaker PM until the next leader is selected and a GE is called by royal perogative at the request of the PM of the day; it would be down to brenda to reject it which in itself is a constitutional crisis

Throw in the very real possibility that she finally croaks while said constitutional crisis is in full flow and then we’ll really be on the banter timeline

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

DickEmery posted:

Pretty sure you could get the much the same effect by reading YouTube comments entirely at random

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I mean the funniest and most likely option is he wins by exactly enough that another challenge won't be possible, but by a small enough margin that he can't actually do anything for the next 2 years.

And then tomorrow Durham police announce they are fining kieth

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean the funniest and most likely option is he wins by exactly enough that another challenge won't be possible, but by a small enough margin that he can't actually do anything for the next 2 years.

This isn't possible. As already pointed out, the Tory "rebels" will be acting fully in support of Johnson tomorrow morning if he survives tonight. It's the kind of servility you should expect from a whipped dog.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To call it Starscream-like would be an insult to the art of backstabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I'll put this vonc on my "Brexit Benefits" list... the rest of the page is currently blank.