Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I wasn't a fun of Disjunction for anything except for Rift, where it really shines. Bannerfall and Convergence were acceptable too but I just wish they had seen fit to give us even a 4th map. I loved nearly every second of the Rift that I played but I'm ready for it to go byebye just so I can see a different Map for a while

Observation - the Rift Sentiment has gotten WAY higher now compared to the start of the week, but Leviathan feedback is trending more negative. A lot of people are feeling pretty "done" with looping around the space but aren't even done with a single Pattern of the 10 new guns

It's so funny that every Bungie dev was like "BIG NEW THINGS CANT WAIT" but the core activity of the new season is so bad

e: i would rather do Seraph towers again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Leviathan is fine except this one weekly challenge to open 100 chests (not reward chests or opulent chests, the ones that randomly spawn for no reason)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

haveblue posted:

Leviathan is fine except this one weekly challenge to open 100 chests (not reward chests or opulent chests, the ones that randomly spawn for no reason)

You'll get that done long, looong before you've gotten your third Opulent Weapon pattern

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Observation - the Rift Sentiment has gotten WAY higher now compared to the start of the week, but Leviathan feedback is trending more negative. A lot of people are feeling pretty "done" with looping around the space but aren't even done with a single Pattern of the 10 new guns

My main issue with Leviathan is you need a ton of energy and it is so hard to get a full containment group. Last season you could just click on the matchmake button and vibe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the event’s fine for what it is, but every single pattern needing 5 red border drops is preposterous, much like the entire crafting system. A typical case of destiny’s raw content being good but with the expectation that you’ll repeat it so many times that you’re unavoidably sick of it by the time you have the treats. their desire for you to treat the game as a religion does a disservice to the good content they make.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are perks in the crown upgrade tree that make red borders easier to get, but no one has them yet thanks to time gating and it'll still take forever even once you have them

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah we will eventually get three guaranteed Redframes per week, including two random & 1 targeted.

We require 50 specific redframes.

As is often the case, Bungie made decent content but goofed up on a pivotal Number

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They didn't goof at all, not in their heads. They calculated how much content they have for the season and time gated it in a way to keep people chasing carrots until the next season launches.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

haveblue posted:

you got all season, barely a problem. I think it counts the two that spawn hidden after a tier 3 containment as well

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

xzzy posted:

They didn't goof at all, not in their heads. They calculated how much content they have for the season and time gated it in a way to keep people chasing carrots until the next season launches.

But starting in ~week 4 of the 16 week season, it will take 17 weeks to get all the Patterns!

This is more along the lines of how Pinnacle Power worked in Shadowkeep, where it wasn't so much "a little too grindy" as it was "this would take many months longer than the season it is meant to span"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But starting in ~week 4 of the 16 week season, it will take 17 weeks to get all the Patterns!

This is more along the lines of how Pinnacle Power worked in Shadowkeep, where it wasn't so much "a little too grindy" as it was "this would take many months longer than the season it is meant to span"

My assumption is they factored in the base red frame drop rate for those first four weeks. :v:

I'm not saying it's a good system, but Bungie seems to be getting better at the engagement and monetization game and are manipulating us big time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also you don't have 16 weeks, you have 48 weeks, since it won't go away until year 6 starts

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

xzzy posted:

My assumption is they factored in the base red frame drop rate for those first four weeks. :v:

I'm not saying it's a good system, but Bungie seems to be getting better at the engagement and monetization game and are manipulating us big time.

For sure, their goal is definitely "make it take longer so they play longer", but I'm saying they screwed up, they set their sights too high, and people will engage with Leviathan LESS because they don't want to spend 120 hours opening chests on the leviathan compared to 12 hours of running Psi Ops

(The bug allowing people to have infinite BPs will save the day)

haveblue posted:

Also you don't have 16 weeks, you have 48 weeks, since it won't go away until year 6 starts

Yeah it's not going away, but it's meant to feasible to get it done within the season, and they goofed up on the Numbers and made it Not Feasible

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t care about weapon crafting anymore because I spent all last season chasing redframe raid weapons and finally got my Linear Fusion pattern approx. 48 hours before the new one came out and immediately became the best DPS weapon in the game. I’ll craft what I get organically but loving grinding for weeks for something that gets immediately outclassed in a month

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah. Crafting is dead to me, honestly. I'm sure they'll tweak it for next season because their metrics are surely showing that Crafting Engagement is in the toilet

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weapon crafting is an endgame pursuit for the people that play the game the most. Bungie sold it as a major upgrade that all of us have been begging for for years, but the time investment required basically restricts it to being useful for content creators to drive more clicks.

Average joes might fully craft one or two guns a year, which is probably fine.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Still don't understand why the weapon crafting juice has a cap?? Right now I have like 20 guns in my gun toilet because half of my craftable weapons aren't high enough lvl to unlock the perks that I would actually want enhanced perks on! Also the distribution is nuts --- so many energy primaries and like 2 kinetic special weapons? There should be a stasis/kinetic fusion, glaive and grenade launcher instead of another stasis RL.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's 2 stasis fusion rifles now, one last season from the raid and another this season from crucible.

I think there's a stasis special GL from the dungeon?

That said the fact they made an arc glaive this season instead of a kinetic/stasis one feels a bit silly. Wonder if they want it to be a bigger deal when they make a first slot glaive.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My postmaster is like 20 Double-Triple Perk Riptides after going for Intrepid Iron Lord this weekend

I do NOT require any more craftable stasis fusions

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I think there's a bit of a mismatch between how bungie envisions crafting and how the community does.

Bungie thinks we'll continue using the random drops, like the 3 or 4 out of 5s or the occasional 5/5 godrolls, with crafting as a very very long term for if you don't get what you want, or to eventually guarantee the 5/5s or to squeeze out the maximum efficiency with the enhanced perks. Like the mindset is "it'll be nice when I get there but in the meantime the old rng system is still there"

But the community is all about the maximum. So anything that's not the enhanced perk crafted godroll is trash, and non-red border guns are double trash since they don't get you closer to crafting, even if they have good perks on their own. The mindset is "I must get there asap".

though, bungie's had like seven years to figure out how people play their game (they even poked fun at it in forsaken lore) so yeah.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 6, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Personally I don't care about super god roll enhance perks, I just want to be able to have something fairly definitive to hang onto so it's easier to manage my collection. Random rolls suck for this reason, and craftables are nice, but the fact they take so much work means i'm still kind of left banking random rolls and/or using gimpy guns for long periods of time.

Like I just hate being in a situation of "will I regret shading this later"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The only mismatch is Bungie thinks I want to spend more than a couple hours (lifetime) patrolling the Leviathan

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Speaking of things that Bungie thinks should be a thing but probably aren't, is anyone actually using a machine gun for "ammo efficent ad clear" or whatever?

I like machine guns in Destiny but I have no idea where i'd swap a burst damage heavy for one.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Like I just hate being in a situation of "will I regret shading this later"

luckily there's no cost to shading anymore! infinite use, no glimmer, access to all of them in the shading interface so you don't even have to worry about keeping a curated collection of shaders.

so no reason not to go full fashion souls

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

sunday at work posted:

Speaking of things that Bungie thinks should be a thing but probably aren't, is anyone actually using a machine gun for "ammo efficent ad clear" or whatever?

I like machine guns in Destiny but I have no idea where i'd swap a burst damage heavy for one.

The boost to damage is VERY noticeable this season (not sure if you're aware this happened - it was in their TWAB/patch notes but never referenced in game), and they really shine in any content with a matching Burn or Singe.

High-impacts suck and Rapids are too short range to be effective, but Adaptives are great.

(Thunderlord and Xenophage are both serviceable Boss DPS options this season too)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

luckily there's no cost to shading anymore! infinite use, no glimmer, access to all of them in the shading interface so you don't even have to worry about keeping a curated collection of shaders.

so no reason not to go full fashion souls
Meant sharding. :v:

As in scrapping duplicate guns and cleaning up the vault.

I'm very glad they made the fashion situation much easier and better.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Meant sharding. :v:

As in scrapping duplicate guns and cleaning up the vault.

I'm very glad they made the fashion situation much easier and better.

ah that makes sense

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So is Zavala's wife gonna chase us around the Gauntlet tomorrow or ... ?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

you know what I like rift, but when it's bad it's bad

like wow nothing like losing the first spark-off, and then the enemy just books it to the rift and dunks before you respawn and even make it halfway out of convergence's deep back spawn pocket

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rift should be first to 4, instant mercy on an 0-3

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One thing I don't like about the current grind required is that by and large you've no sooner gotten your crafted weapons levelled to where you can get the perks you want that you need to spend time crafting and leveling the new batches. You don't get so much opportunity to just enjoy the fruit of your efforts.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Paracelsus posted:

One thing I don't like about the current grind required is that by and large you've no sooner gotten your crafted weapons levelled to where you can get the perks you want that you need to spend time crafting and leveling the new batches. You don't get so much opportunity to just enjoy the fruit of your efforts.

Yeah this is also why the "you have all year to do it!!" falls flat. People aren't exactly lining up to do Wellspring and Psi Ops this season!

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

The funny thing about crafting: the best part is when an interesting-but-not-meta perk combo shows up on a red border weapon; a red border is JUST enough of a carrot to get me to use a weapon I otherwise wouldn’t.

Once I actually craft the weapon I’m probably never using it again. There are a couple exceptions to that: e.g. Syncopation just feels real good to me & I’m excited to use Forbearance next season with Arc 3.0.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Every weapon I want to actually craft and use isn't actually craftable or usable.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It is fundamentally, incredibly funny that they have a really good-feeling looter shooter and just keep piling on more and more mechanics to keep you from using the cool guns that are ostensibly the entire point of this whole exercise.

Sweet, I finally got that cool exotic, now to do 200 gambit rounds/strikes/crucible matches, then get 600 kills with it, and then....finally use the goddamn finished gun vault it because I need red frame juice and I have crafted guns to level up and it's void burn this week and said exotic doesn't fit with the anti champ mods I need for this activity anyway and I have bounties for sword and glaive kills and a weekly challenge to kill 420 guys on the moon with machine guns and and and

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 7, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Last season I was annoyed that you had to equip red frames, and then also equip the level 1 gun

But now I'm just vibing & having a good time because I have no red frames or guns to craft

Catalyst Quests definitely don't need to be followed by a "OK now get 700 more kills" step though

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hulk Krogan posted:

It is fundamentally, incredibly funny that they have a really good-feeling looter shooter and just keep piling on more and more mechanics to keep you from using the cool guns that are ostensibly the entire point of this whole exercise.

They forced people to use guns they looted once it was called Sunsetting and people hated it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Eej posted:

They forced people to use guns they looted once it was called Sunsetting and people hated it

No.

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t care about weapon crafting anymore because I spent all last season chasing redframe raid weapons and finally got my Linear Fusion pattern approx. 48 hours before the new one came out and immediately became the best DPS weapon in the game. I’ll craft what I get organically but loving grinding for weeks for something that gets immediately outclassed in a month

Stomchaser is burst/pure DPS. Short damage phases

Deliverance is better overall/max ammo DPS. Long/multiple damage phases

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RBX posted:

Stomchaser is burst/pure DPS. Short damage phases

Deliverance is better overall/max ammo DPS. Long/multiple damage phases

Assuming you mean Cataclysmic instead of Stormchaser, but what's the source here? The testing that I've seen showed Stormchaser as UTTERLY trouncing any Precision Linear

1 Mag - 32k to 22k

Average DPS - 22k to 15k, or 25k to 18k, depending on methodology

Total Reserves Damage - 381k vs 357k

Time to Empty Reserves - 18s vs 24s :chanpop:

It mopped the floor by every conceivable metric. One shot, one mag, one DPS cycle, Templar, etc

It's the best heavy to use against any boss with a crit spot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Sweet, I finally got that cool exotic, now to do 200 gambit rounds/strikes/crucible matches, then get 600 kills with it, and then....finally use the goddamn finished gun vault it because I need red frame juice and I have crafted guns to level up and it's void burn this week and said exotic doesn't fit with the anti champ mods I need for this activity anyway and I have bounties for sword and glaive kills and a weekly challenge to kill 420 guys on the moon with machine guns and and and

this has been the case for a long time, but there was still a point when you'd get done with all your quests/catalysts/bounties and could just use whatever fun gear you wanted in non-loadout-restricted activities without thinking about wasted progress.

now that crafted guns exist and may as well be an indefinite grind, there's never a time when I feel like I can use my favorite weapons without having a faint sense of anxiety that I'm leaving Progress on the table. this is partly brain spiders but also partly the legitimate reason that I have no idea what will suddenly turn out to be good down the line and suddenly people are telling you to bring it for raids, so I try to cover all my bases and have as many options as possible in my vault to pull from. the result is the existence of the system at all has been a net negative to my experience, and I hope the next season's guns need an even more preposterous number of red borders to craft just to push me over the threshold into definitive Fuckit Mindset where I won't care about them