Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Not the most exciting request but does anyone know of a good can opener that won't dull, rust or shred metal pieces into the can after 3 uses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

travisray2004 posted:

Not the most exciting request but does anyone know of a good can opener that won't dull, rust or shred metal pieces into the can after 3 uses?

OXO Smooth Edge Can Opener has been perfect for us for a long time.

syense
Oct 13, 2018

people who play large jenga at bars have nothing of interest in their lives.
Always been very satisfied with OXO kitchen products.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

OXO Smooth Edge Can Opener has been perfect for us for a long time.

I love this thing. No sharps either.

Only downside is tiny cans it struggles a little if the lip is low.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've been using an Ez-Duz-It for years without issue.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

travisray2004 posted:

I have had this Kuhn Rikon safety can opener for what feels like 20 years now, and it still works just as good as it did when I got it even after opening untold thousands of cans. it's not available on amazon anymore since I'm sure it's long out of production now, but if you can find it, I've not handled a better can opener.

here's a brand new one on ebay, a bit overpriced but I'd try messaging them to haggle it down if you want it.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
swing a way or easy duz it can openers are best

Do you guys have any recommendations for a shoe I can wear without socks in the summer? I've been wearing boat shoes and I hate them because loafers you still have to tie are the dumbest idea ever created. Looking for like a regular slip on that won't smell too horrible

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Birkenstocks maybe? I've got a pair I got as a gift that I've been wearing for well over a decade and they've only just begun to come apart after near constant use, very good quality. the only downside is having to break them in, but I used moleskin patches on the stiff leather until it became more flexible.

I wish I could repair them, but the cork or whatever the bottom of the shoe is made of has worn away over the years.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Crocs! They’re the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. Nice and cool for summer, durable, easy to clean. Join the Cool Kids Crocs Club.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Stalizard posted:

swing a way or easy duz it can openers are best

Do you guys have any recommendations for a shoe I can wear without socks in the summer? I've been wearing boat shoes and I hate them because loafers you still have to tie are the dumbest idea ever created. Looking for like a regular slip on that won't smell too horrible

I can recommend Crocs, I have the soft foam ones and they are really comfy. Nice bonus, you can go swimming with them which makes sharp rock beaches approchable.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just wear flip flops, something sleek like Havaianas. smh at the croc lovers here.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Birkenstocks maybe? I've got a pair I got as a gift that I've been wearing for well over a decade and they've only just begun to come apart after near constant use, very good quality. the only downside is having to break them in, but I used moleskin patches on the stiff leather until it became more flexible.

I wish I could repair them, but the cork or whatever the bottom of the shoe is made of has worn away over the years.

You actually can get the cork board sole replaced (basically it re-soles the whole shoe). Problem is it costs almost as much as a brand new pair.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Just wear flip flops, something sleek like Havaianas. smh at the croc lovers here.

This or Tom's.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I am looking for a replacement for my Jabra 75 headset for work calls. It has one specific feature I really like, which is that flipping up the microphone automatically mutes it. I like having that physical indicator so I don't have to worry about accidentally unmuting. Are there other brands with the same function? Is there a headphone thread somewhere I should be checking?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

I am looking for a replacement for my Jabra 75 headset for work calls. It has one specific feature I really like, which is that flipping up the microphone automatically mutes it. I like having that physical indicator so I don't have to worry about accidentally unmuting. Are there other brands with the same function? Is there a headphone thread somewhere I should be checking?

IYG should get you there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Perfect, thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, so I didn't expect these to work as well as they did, but it's loving mindblowing how fast they worked, so I'm sharing it here. We recently had an infestation of Indian Meal Moths, likely from a 50lb bag of rice I bought a bit back, and I recently expunged them. Haven't seen more than one or two for days now. Just to be on the safe side, I ordered Dr. Killigan's Pantry Moth Traps to see if it would catch any.

I set up a single trap in my kitchen area, then went to take a shower. Came back out, and it looked like this in the trap(not my image, but basically the same):

I set up a second one downstairs, the setup step recommends setting the trap up in triangle form, then waving it around the room to spread the pheromone scent. I did so downstairs and LITERALLY IMMEDIATELY, before I could even set the trap down, about a dozen male moths flew out of random locations they had been hiding and made a beeline for the trap.

it's staggering how effective it is. If you have Indian Meal Moth problems, these are extremely effective at catching the adult moths(males only though, females have to still be killed manually). There's a bunch of reviews comparing them with other similar style traps and it blows the others away in effectiveness.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I will second that, bought the exact same traps when we had a bad infestation of carpet moths (they set up a breeding station under a room transition piece, had to rip it up and vacuum up SO MUCH LARVA).
A few packs of traps and a month or so are we were once again moth free

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Is there a rating or recommendation site for prebuilt desktop PCs?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cornuto posted:

Is there a rating or recommendation site for prebuilt desktop PCs?

Go to the PC building Megathread. They’ll guide you there.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
You should definitely check out the PC specific thread.

One thing I've noted personally is that if there's a local PC store with a decent reputation, they will often have better deals and provide better aftercare (for me it's a place called Memory Express).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Looking for something like a futon or fold-out bed to put in my basement for two people to sleep on, preferably something that I can assemble and disassemble so I can actually get it up and down the stairs to said basement. Would also consider something like a raised platform that I could put an air mattress on.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We have an Ikea Hemnes daybed in my office that we pull out when we have guests and it works well and has some storage drawers as well.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

C-Euro posted:

Looking for something like a futon or fold-out bed to put in my basement for two people to sleep on, preferably something that I can assemble and disassemble so I can actually get it up and down the stairs to said basement. Would also consider something like a raised platform that I could put an air mattress on.

Check out Lori Wallbeds as well.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

This has been asked a billion times but what's the current recommendation for a front pocket ~minimalist wallet~? I had the unfortunate experience of having my bifold wallet get nicked out of my back pocket the night before I had to catch a flight for work, so I'm finally hard off back pocket carry for good.

Maybe something like 5 or 6 cards is what I usually carry? Two credit cards, a debit card, ID, AAA card, and some insurance cards that are really thin and barely add up to a single card combined. Sometimes have cash kicking around.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I bought this wallet on Amazon 3 years ago and it seems to work well. It should hold all the stuff you mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/Slim-Minimal...C76&sr=8-5&th=1

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with those instagram wallets? Metal with the button that pops up cards. Seems neat on concept but they really have to work otherwise it's an absolute pain in the rear end.

https://ekster.com/products/aluminu...acement=&nb_si={sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=&gclid=CjwKCAjwkYGVBhArEiwA4sZLuKkuYoFBmEOZqcP8gsFednDI2W9TZY_Y8PnxKvBol-XUHly7rMfL2xoCJcYQAvD_BwE

These guys

m.hache has a new favorite as of 13:27 on Jun 8, 2022

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ishikabibble posted:

This has been asked a billion times but what's the current recommendation for a front pocket ~minimalist wallet~? I had the unfortunate experience of having my bifold wallet get nicked out of my back pocket the night before I had to catch a flight for work, so I'm finally hard off back pocket carry for good.

Maybe something like 5 or 6 cards is what I usually carry? Two credit cards, a debit card, ID, AAA card, and some insurance cards that are really thin and barely add up to a single card combined. Sometimes have cash kicking around.

I'm an admitted and unrepentant leather goods snob and therefore assuming that's the kind of wallet you want, so ignore if it doesn't apply:

Do not buy leather goods off Amazon or eBay or Instagram* because they will be either "compacted fibers and "genuine leather" on a technicality" or "polyurethane leather" which will desintegrate in the worst ways. You might get lucky and it will last, but if you can spring for something better get that instead.

There's no need to go broke buying ~* l u x u r y *~ branded stuff because there are a handful of smaller brands which have been around for a minute and are generally a safe choice. Bellroy has a few slim wallets available, like this one that is probably your best bet for what you want, with production overseas. I have a WP Leather bag that's one of my favourite possessions and they also make affordable wallets, I believe in Mexico. Tanner Goods is US-made and has been around for a long while too. The last two are (literally) a little rougher around the edges, which is a style and keep-manufacturing-costs-down kind of choice. Having raw edges works on my bag because of the style, but I don't know if that's what you want on a wallet.

Comedy, budget-destroying option: buy tools and materials for hundreds of dollars, spend months and years teaching yourself leatherworking, join us in the very dormant leatherworking thread, make your own leather goods!

* some small makers do advertise there but it's mostly drop-shipped junk

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
I've been pretty happy with this one I bought four years ago: https://dunwallets.com/product/dun-fold/
There's one card slot on the outside I use for my commuting card, and space for 4-6 cards + bills.

They also have another slim wallet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Chiming in to say I have that Bellroy Slim that was shared and I’m quite fond of it. I usually keep it in my sling and not my pants so I can’t speak to the durability as much but I have no complaints. drat goony meat suit and its less than flattering appearance appearance with stuff in my pockets…

Warbird has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Jun 10, 2022

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

m.hache posted:

Anyone have any experience with those instagram wallets? Metal with the button that pops up cards. Seems neat on concept but they really have to work otherwise it's an absolute pain in the rear end.

https://ekster.com/products/aluminu...acement=&nb_si={sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=&gclid=CjwKCAjwkYGVBhArEiwA4sZLuKkuYoFBmEOZqcP8gsFednDI2W9TZY_Y8PnxKvBol-XUHly7rMfL2xoCJcYQAvD_BwE

These guys

Don't have one personally, but people I know who did use them said that the lever mechanism will break or wear out eventually.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Anyone have a recommendation for Bluetooth earbuds that don't suck and also don't cost a million bucks?

I got the Haylou GT5 and within three months or so the right bud has completely stopped working.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Happiness Commando posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for Bluetooth earbuds that don't suck and also don't cost a million bucks?

I got the Haylou GT5 and within three months or so the right bud has completely stopped working.

I don't use them constantly but I've had these for three years or so and they are perfectly fine. I don't listen to stuff that needs perfect audio fidelity though so "don't suck" may be relative.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5MKX3K/

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/225...673792520%21sea

Not the exact one I ordered but I and a bunch of my coworkers have and like these. Cheap, small, blocks RFID

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

This is what I've got: https://www.amazon.com/SlimFold-Minimalist-RFID-Wallet-Waterproof/dp/B01HH32JV0
Pricey, but it still looks news after 5 years, sharing a front pocket with my keys. But I have an older version that doesn't have that metallic RFID blocking lining, not sure how well that bit holds up. But if something forced me to need to replace my current one, I'd just get another. It's the slimmest bifold wallet I've found that isn't tyvek.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Bumble Dong posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/225...673792520%21sea

Not the exact one I ordered but I and a bunch of my coworkers have and like these. Cheap, small, blocks RFID

I also got this aliexpress ridge wallet knockoff, and I hate it. It’s too hard to get things out, and rfid blocking is actually a bad thing because I keep my access card in my wallet.

.Z. posted:

This is what I've got: https://www.amazon.com/SlimFold-Minimalist-RFID-Wallet-Waterproof/dp/B01HH32JV0
Pricey, but it still looks news after 5 years, sharing a front pocket with my keys. But I have an older version that doesn't have that metallic RFID blocking lining, not sure how well that bit holds up. But if something forced me to need to replace my current one, I'd just get another. It's the slimmest bifold wallet I've found that isn't tyvek.
I had this before the Ridge. I had the non-blocking one. It’s pretty good, but it was losing its integrity after 5 years in the back pocket. The little plastic thing in front of the ID pocket came off and so did the plastic liners in the inner outer pockets. I’ll probably just get another one.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Many variations of the Herschel Charlie Wish it had two more pockets, but this has served me well for a few years at this point.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

There's a headphones thread which might have more opinions. I personally like the Jabra 75t set I got for running.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anker makes really solid ones for 50 bux and are the only ones that stay in my ear. All others slide out, even with the right nubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Trabant posted:

There's a headphones thread which might have more opinions. I personally like the Jabra 75t set I got for running.

I have the “Active” SKU of these and they’re pretty great. My only gripe is that you periodically have to clean them/the case as body oils can build up over time and cause the sensor that detects if they’re in the case to give false negatives and results in your phone connecting to them accidentally. It’s not big deal and can be done easily but it’s still fault annoying and not something I ran into for the 65t series.