Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

produces keyword seems to work?

Yeah, you an also do "produces:any"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

produces keyword seems to work?

cool, thanks. weird that I can't find it in the "criteria" drop down list in the advanced search prompt though

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

cool, thanks. weird that I can't find it in the "criteria" drop down list in the advanced search prompt though

o:"add {W}{U}{B}{R}{G}"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

"activate this ability only any time you could activate an instant" i think is the usual way

reminded of when i opened a lions eye diamond in middle school, hoping for a hammer of bogardon, and thought "well this is garbage"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, they look great. but unless the entire pack of those collector boosters is like that, it still ain't worth it, and even if it is all like that I don't think it's worth it

They likely aren't since it was a mistake, https://youtu.be/2i3ygmFvbNs

After the guy opened them out of his first box of CL2 Collectors he opened the second on camera.

Looking at some of the leaked cards it seems like the styles are meant to evoke a variety of planes and previous sets showcases. The Blood Artist is in the Dracula style, Wall of Omens is a Theros mosaic, Eternal Witness is Ixalan.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 7, 2022

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

New bans

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/june-7-2022-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2022-06-07

quote:

Announcement Date: June 7, 2022

Pioneer

Winota, Joiner of Forces is banned.

Expressive Iteration is banned.

Explorer

Expressive Iteration is banned.

(Note that Winota, Joiner of Forces was already banned in Explorer.)

Effective Date: June 7, 2022

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

seems good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

F

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TotalHell posted:

Come on now you don’t want full foil art of these ICONIC uncommons (for 8x the price)???

I don't know what you mean, MPC has per card pricing based on volume :homebrew:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The writing was on the wall for a while now and I thought I’d be at least a little sad to see Winota go, but I guess I don’t care that much actually lol.

Thank god EI is gone, what a hosed up card.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Jeff says he is now self-employed.

e: and starting a new podcast! "the jeff gerstmann show"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Jeff says he is now self-employed.

e: and starting a new podcast! "the jeff gerstmann show"

Did you post this in the right thread?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like pioneer should stop banning fun combo poo poo and instead introduce better answers or something. They pre-emptively banned kethis combo and that wasn't even good in historic. Though I guess this means that Hidden Strings is the official approved combo deck of Pioneer

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Sickening posted:

Did you post this in the right thread?

I have no idea how I keep doing this. My mind must be going. Sorry y'all

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

I read fadam's "The writing was on the wall for a while now and I thought I’d be at least a little sad..." and thought I was in that thread as well. :D

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

odiv posted:

I read fadam's "The writing was on the wall for a while now and I thought I’d be at least a little sad..." and thought I was in that thread as well. :D

Oh, rip.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

A Moose posted:

I feel like pioneer should stop banning fun combo poo poo and instead introduce better answers or something. They pre-emptively banned kethis combo and that wasn't even good in historic. Though I guess this means that Hidden Strings is the official approved combo deck of Pioneer

Honestly this is how you end up like Modern where most every deck has the same extremely good generic answers with a few different wincons, and decks that don't play those just aren't very good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

big cummers ONLY posted:

odiv posted:

Can't believe Wizards would drop such a Giant Bomb like that

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Winota ban is kind of interesting because, at least from my Pioneer experience (I have no idea what the actual data says, I might be completely wrong), while the deck is T1 I don't think it's substantially better than the other T1 decks.

What it IS though, is really loving coin flippy and annoying. I know losing in general is annoying, but poo poo just feels worse when a spin is involved. IDK if the format is any better in terms of like meta game balance, but I think it just got a lot more pleasant for everyone except for all the people that bought out all the Winotas a few months ago.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

in the grander context of magic I think it's fine if explorer is the "do big things and go bigger than your opponent" format as long as the other eternal formats have some kind of unique identity that isn't that. different strokes for different folks. but in the context of arena, yeah I'd rather there be a decent aggro deck or control deck instead of the endless midrange omnath/agent of treachery/ob nix continue-throwing-cards-at-each-other-until-someone-dies metagame

I don't play much pioneer so I can't speak to its meta, but I imagine it's relatively similar to explorer if a bit more diverse

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kalel posted:

in the grander context of magic I think it's fine if explorer is the "do big things and go bigger than your opponent" format as long as the other eternal formats have some kind of unique identity that isn't that. different strokes for different folks. but in the context of arena, yeah I'd rather there be a decent aggro deck or control deck instead of the endless midrange omnath/agent of treachery/ob nix continue-throwing-cards-at-each-other-until-someone-dies metagame

I don't play much pioneer so I can't speak to its meta, but I imagine it's relatively similar to explorer if a bit more diverse

It's very similar with the big differences being the big mana green decks are better (Nykthos and an extra elf), RDW is A LOT better (MSS and Eidolon), and there's a pretty good, if finnicky combo deck in Lotus piles. Part of the reason why the BR midrange decks are all over Explorer is because I think once Winota ate poo poo it was the best deck that loses the least moving from Pioneer to Explorer.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The rest of the article is interesting because they also discuss their "no changes" decisions for the other eternal formats.

quote:

LEGACY

Since the ban of Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer in January, the win rate of Izzet Delver has come down, and the deck now shows appropriate strengths and weaknesses against the other most played archetypes. Reanimator, control, resource denial, combo, and aggro are all additional macro-archetypes that are seeing success. We'll continue to keep an eye out for potentially unhealthy or unfun play patterns, but otherwise natural metagame forces currently look sufficient to handle any short-term shifts in deck popularity.

This, however, is laughable. Izzet "delver" is still top of the heap and murktide regent exerts enormous influence over the metagame

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kalel posted:

The rest of the article is interesting because they also discuss their "no changes" decisions for the other eternal formats.

This, however, is laughable. Izzet "delver" is still top of the heap and murktide regent exerting enormous influence over the metagame

I think the problem is that the real solution to that is to ban some combination of Daze, Brainstorm, Ponder etc. but they can't do that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

kalel posted:

This, however, is laughable. Izzet "delver" is still top of the heap and murktide regent exerts enormous influence over the metagame

Not being a smartass, but what's the basis for this? WotC is claiming they've got enough data on winrates to say that it's not oppressive. Have there been enough tournaments with public results to say otherwise?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Trusting WOTC with data is a mistake.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Moose posted:

WDYM, the only cards premtively banned in pioneer were Fecthes and Lurrus. Everything else had time to exist and prove its banning? (Something I liked about pioneer, but they didn't keep up with the bannings)

fadam posted:

I think the problem is that the real solution to that is to ban some combination of Daze, Brainstorm, Ponder etc. but they can't do that.

Been saying this since like 2013. It's "the format identity" which means they never will, no matter how unhealthy it is for the format.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Banning fetches was dumb. It doesn't help speed up matches, there is still tons of shuffling. The worst delve offenders shouldn't exist in the format anyway. Fetches are a popular set of cards they could just reprint.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm okay with the Fetch ban. I don't think they're busted, but I do think they add a bunch of shuffle time, and it serves to help give the format more of an identity imo. There's an argument to be made that they should never have been printed ever!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

I'm okay with the Fetch ban. I don't think they're busted, but I do think they add a bunch of shuffle time, and it serves to help give the format more of an identity imo. There's an argument to be made that they should never have been printed ever!

Better mana leads to more meaningful games of magic being played. I am all for that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Honestly the main thing about fetches is they make mana good enough theres rarely any actual consequences for being three colors. The original dual lands are also pretty boring for the same reason, theres no actual choice involved in running either

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't think fetches are overpowered but they are very powerful and them not existing in the format does change the feel of it a lot in a pretty successful way imo

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Yeah the feel is boring

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
OK right thread this time! Trim dividers slowly getting there...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

Better mana leads to more meaningful games of magic being played. I am all for that.

Fetch/shocks letting you erode the risk of playing 3-4 colours makes Magic less meaningful, not more, and saving seven minutes of shuffling per match is just a bonus.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Fetch/shocks letting you erode the risk of playing 3-4 colours makes Magic less meaningful, not more, and saving seven minutes of shuffling per match is just a bonus.

TBF I think Modern in particular being so many 4c piles these days is enabled by W6 combined with fetches. You saw 3c decks before W6, and 4/5c briefly with astrolabe completely ruining the format, but those decks also had to fetch shocks or they couldn't really function, so blood moon was a more effective punisher

Nowadays you've got the greedy 4c decks side boarding blood moon themselves sometimes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's loving hilarious that Expressive is "too good" for explorer but Greasefang Combo isn't. Does Wizards even play their formats?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
expressive iteration is a really loving good card that's been really good for a long while and is also generically good enough that it's hard to not include it in any deck in those colors. winota is a dumb combo that's been dumb for ages and has proven to outlast the meta working to try to defeat it

greasefang combo is dumb but it's a single, new combo deck with cards that aren't generically good + i think it's just now in the position of 'let's see if the meta shifts to bring it down to better levels and if not it'll be on the block for next time'

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've been banging on the Expressive Iteration is Too Good drum for a long time but no one seemed to care

until now!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Expressive is like the 100th most played card in explorer. It's not a problem AT ALL in that format. It's another story in Pioneer because you have the delve cards legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It's loving hilarious that Expressive is "too good" for explorer but Greasefang Combo isn't. Does Wizards even play their formats?

Get your Unlicensed Hearses before they breach $15