Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

here in america we love kings

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Nix Panicus posted:

The capitol riot was a bunch of idiots milling around who were let into the building by the cops. If the rioters were in any way a coup force they could have very easily murdered a significant chunk of Congress with no resistance. It has always been a total non issue outside of illustrating the right wing leanings of the capitol cops. The democrats might have used it to highlight the need for police reform and contrasted the permissiveness of the capitol cops with the brutality of the Floyd protests, except the democrats were 100% on board with brutalizing largely minority protesters and they ended up giving loving medals to the capital cops.

i think the lesson of 9/11 3.0 is that congress has no real power that law enforcement is obligated to respect. they demonstrated this by allowing congress to be defaced by a large group of clowns.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

THS2 posted:

just like 2008 was blamed on mortgage borrowers, this will be blamed on people getting and spending free money for once in their lives (the equivalent of a couple paychecks for most). instead of the fed opening the gullets of every financial institution and funneling in limitless fake dollars at near zero interest while income disparity reaches highs unprecedented in human history

Fake dollars nothing, the government bought high and sold low, on purpose, in order to permanently hand cash over to Goldman Sachs.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Relevant, in that Joe Biden also won't be getting a second season

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

WASHINGTON — Seventeen months after a mob of Donald J. Trump’s supporters stormed the Capitol with false claims of a stolen election, House Democrats plan to use a landmark set of investigative hearings beginning this week to try to refocus voters’ attention on Jan. 6, aiming to tie Republicans directly to an unprecedented plot to undermine democracy itself.

With their control of Congress hanging in the balance, Democrats plan to use made-for-television moments and a carefully choreographed rollout of revelations over the course of six hearings to remind the public of the magnitude of Mr. Trump’s effort to overturn the election, and to persuade voters that the coming midterm elections are a chance to hold Republicans accountable for it.

It is an uphill battle at a time when polls show that voters’ attention is focused elsewhere, including on inflation, rising coronavirus cases and record-high gas prices. But Democrats argue the hearings will give them a platform for making a broader case about why they deserve to stay in power.

“When these hearings are over, voters will know how irresponsibly complicit Republicans were in attempting to toss out their vote and just how far Republicans will go to gain power for themselves,” said Representative Sean Patrick Maloney, the Democratic campaign chair.

I'm covered with belief not only that this will save even one Democrat, but that Democrats themselves believe this

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
With Jan 6 the dems took the perfectly useless compromise option. When threatened with a revolt you either crush your enemies or forgive them (usually after first making it clear that you could crush them). The dems have done neither, mostly they've just complained about sacred democratic norms and how scared they were while holding endless committee meetings that don't do anything.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Kazzah posted:

Much of MBS's governing is conducted via writing and gestures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691qO96VRVw

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

the white hand posted:

I'm covered with belief not only that this will save even one Democrat, but that Democrats themselves believe this

i see we’re back to the “we just gotta raise awareness” phase of liberal condescension

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

jpow said he was thinking of raising rates some time in the trump years and then turmp raged about on twitter for a while, then there were some news items that trump was supposedly looking at what he could do to fire jpow, then suddenly jpow changed his mind and decided not to crash the economy

biden gets into office and says sure jpow, do whatever you want

Nothing but love and respect for MY president.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

two things democrats need to emphasize for the midterms:

-hosed up economy is not joe biden’s fault, look at this graph you idiot, you bumpkin

-congress got very spooked by the qanon shaman and voters are mean for not caring

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Seventeen months after

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pissinthewind posted:

were the capitol riots really a horror for anyone but the lovely politicians we all hate
god i wish it had been a coup at this point, getting the democrats completely out of the way opens up so many possibilities

It's funny because media people were obviously traumatized by it and are constantly posting articles about how baffled they are that no one else is.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

It's funny because media people were obviously traumatized by it and are constantly posting articles about how baffled they are that no one else is.

sure it had fewer casualties than the literal every day mass shootings but it happened in their safe space and that's just not cricket

violence is supposed to happen in peasant places like malls, hospitals, public schools and the like, not in the halls of power

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

1/6 is notably seared into my brain, on the basis that i got up to take a poo poo at work and came back to "morons are trying to overthrow the government", but democrats trying to spin some kind of political hay from it doesn't really play that well given that it's become a colossal monument to their impotence. call me when you hang a fucker

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

if they need a gallows, the hooting fascists that stormed congress with no meaningful consequence literally brought one

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They could have convinced people it was a big deal if they had done something about it then and not just sat on their asses for 18 months

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

It would be extremely funny, to me, if the reason the democrats can't find a way to spin a strong narrative around Jan 6th is because it would mean saying negative things about the cops and they flat out refuse

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

sure it had fewer casualties than the literal every day mass shootings but it happened in their safe space and that's just not cricket

violence is supposed to happen in peasant places like malls, hospitals, public schools and the like, not in the halls of power

ya that’s the best part listening to members of Congress and reporters talking about how traumatized they are because *violence happened in the work place* while that’s just life for convenience store clerks and elementary school teachers.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

They could have convinced people it was a big deal if they had done something about it then and not just sat on their asses for 18 months

It's similar energy to

"trump is literal Hitler"
*trump gets COVID*
"I sincerely hope Trump recovers fully so we can honorably defeat him in the voting booth"

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

the truly demoralizing aspect of 1/6 is that it shows the democrats at their most noble, their most unshakably principled. they would, truly, rather be ziptied and publicly executed than do anything meaningful or productive

like, we have material evidence that they will literally die before risking what they see as their position

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

It's similar energy to

*trump gets COVID*
"I sincerely hope Trump recovers fully so we can honorably defeat him in the voting booth"

*votes to expand Trump's domestic surveillance powers*

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Shear Modulus posted:

Do... something?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

the truly demoralizing aspect of 1/6 is that it shows the democrats at their most noble, their most unshakably principled. they would, truly, rather be ziptied and publicly executed than do anything meaningful or productive

like, we have material evidence that they will literally die before risking what they see as their position

But this way the republicans can't attack them for acting against the rioters. It's the smart play

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Nix Panicus posted:

It would be extremely funny, to me, if the reason the democrats can't find a way to spin a strong narrative around Jan 6th is because it would mean saying negative things about the cops and they flat out refuse

they are more unwilling to do this than literally anything else and it's baffling. gently caress the cops is a very popular platform. i guess it's not baffling if you know they stand for the exact same things as the cops do

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/sharonemitchjr/status/1534194324971442177?s=21&t=4xBuFEcHwHORxH1Igxvs3g

looking forward to blue fascism

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

red fascism sets the standard all else fall in line

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

See, if we just stopped electing old white men, then real progress could.... huh. Ah, well, nevertheless

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Where do dems find all these piece of poo poo mayors its amazing

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Acelerion posted:

Where do dems find all these piece of poo poo mayors its amazing

Decades of building up a deep bench of absolute shitters. In a way, it's a beautiful testament to what hard work can achieve.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a poo poo country filled with poo poo people. what else do you expect?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

let’s hear a round of applause for all the good mayors in America

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

let’s hear a round of applause for all the good mayors in America

https://twitter.com/LibertyHangout/status/1335740152761769989

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

the blue red alliance

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the root of the problem is that there needs to be like 100 times more judges to clear backlogs

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

theCalamity posted:

looking forward to blue fascism

Yes, "looking forward to", right.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Alamani57 posted:

Yes, "looking forward to", right.

the looking part seems redundant

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Why is there an exploding tower on his hat

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

tenderjerk posted:

I think trump would have won if he kept handing out checks and I think he learned this, but a bit too late, iirc towards the end he appeared to be scrambling to send even more money ???

I worked at a place that packed food boxes for COVID relief and you better believe that big beautiful signature was the first thing you saw when you opened it

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

tangy yet delightful posted:

It's similar energy to

*trump gets COVID*

Democrats are Vegeta during the Cell Saga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

someone explain to me what the gently caress is going on with that hat

new york yankees, but also big ben and union jack. are the yankees moving to london what the gently caress is going on