Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be fair, Ippo is correct to go all out, since Volg is doing absolute top level matches (and I think in a higher weight class even?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
:allears: I love that simple minded dumbass. it felt so good to see ippo back in form.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Adnor posted:

Ok Ippo, it's time to parry or dodge that. PARRY OR DODGE THAT
please god

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I do appreciate the solution Morikawa came up with for ensuring that it's more easily readable what tightly-cropped panels are what character. If you can see a pant leg, it's Ippo's foot, and Volg is the only one wearing a shirt.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, Ippo is correct to go all out, since Volg is doing absolute top level matches (and I think in a higher weight class even?).
Also Volg is a really good technical boxer and not a one-trick pony.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I say this anytime something cool happens, but man I'd really love to see this spar animated.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hahaha Ippo is still in jeans.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Hypocrisy posted:

Hahaha Ippo is still in jeans.

The biggest handicap in a fight tbh, more than the weights.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat this kinda rules

Frabba posted:

I say this anytime something cool happens, but man I'd really love to see this spar animated.

I'd kill for another season (or two or three)

At the very least it will be nice to see if Discotek can license New Challenger and Rising for bluray releases, maybe the sales might send a message

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The big loss is Kimora’s voice actor.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Really weird how Rising has an official translation but New Challenger is just kinda sitting in null space

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah the map on the first page mentions he went up a class.

Sindai posted:

please god

Assuming this is going to be where his supersecret parrying/countering skills manifest.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Praying for the next chapter that Ippo doesn't decide to tank the hit to get an exchange please don't tank the hit please dodge it or parrty it please please PLEASE

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ippo tries to dodge but fails because, despite his increased physical skills, he still has some brain and eye damage and this shows to him that he can never return to the ring.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Garrand posted:

Ippo tries to dodge but fails because, despite his increased physical skills, he still has some brain and eye damage and this shows to him that he can never return to the ring.

The first step is admitting that you just can't anymore.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

he saw the hog

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

CharlestonJew posted:

he saw the hog

It's the only thing that can strike fear into the hearts of other boxers, ippos massive hog

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
volg has been at jr lightweight since he came back from retirement btw, its not a recent increase. there's a line iirc where he says he found it difficult to get back to featherweight after being retired

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
can't believe we finally got another good chapter of ippo

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

can't believe we finally got another good chapter of ippo

the quality has been very high since the start of the retirement arc imo. there's been a lot of very good chapters

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

the quality has been very high since the start of the retirement arc imo. there's been a lot of very good chapters
Agreed but it has (rightly so) been blueballing us on a good ol proper Ippo fight for a long rear end time, this was the thing missing for the manga to really peak again. Super excited!

Also that first full page of Ippo fighting is fantastic, a full on explosion of adrenaline and raw power.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
ippo gonna parry the uppercut of white fang with his monster dong

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It says a lot that for a long time when the retirement arc started, a lot of people, myself included, were either unsure if or just straight up didn't want Ippo to return to the ring. But at this point, I think it really does feel earned if and when he does come out of retirement.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

mabels big day posted:

It says a lot that for a long time when the retirement arc started, a lot of people, myself included, were either unsure if or just straight up didn't want Ippo to return to the ring. But at this point, I think it really does feel earned if and when he does come out of retirement.

This is really the best bit of storytelling about this arc. I agree, it seemed like everyone was very good with ippo staying retired, to the point of it would ruin the story to have him go back in the ring. Now I think we're all excited to see the layers they built during this arc to come to fruition for him stepping back into the ring.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The main worry I had was the beginning of the arc seemed to suggest that Ippo just needed to find his drive to win again, that all he needed to to do was be more determined/driven. This was ignoring why ippo's fights were boring the past few years, because he boxed like a complete moron and his solution to any match seemed to be "punch harder."

Now the arc had Ippo reflect on the big flaws in his boxing style and working to improve them. We get to see a process of him examining himself through his own training to be an assistant/coach which allows him to pick up on and correct his flaws. The amount of time that has passed since Ippo's been in a match really helps sell the idea that this is a lengthy process of improvement. His major improvements seem very earned.

Really this whole arc really shined the light on Kamogawa being an absolute poo poo trainer and I hope that this gets more attention in the future.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
See all his growth is great, but unless you have a timeskip or Ippo does fights in the background while other stories take the forefront for a bit, you're going to have Ippo going through low level fights to get his rank back and challenge the top again.

UNLESS Mori commits to just having him stomp these fights, I am very worried of the possibility that he reverts to old patterns and has Ippo forget all these lessons to make some sort of tension in order to keep it "interesting"

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Artelier posted:

Praying for the next chapter that Ippo doesn't decide to tank the hit to get an exchange please don't tank the hit please dodge it or parrty it please please PLEASE

Ippo is going to knock it away and counter with a gazelle punch that obliterates Volg's abdomen into piles of meat..

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Asuron posted:

See all his growth is great, but unless you have a timeskip or Ippo does fights in the background while other stories take the forefront for a bit, you're going to have Ippo going through low level fights to get his rank back and challenge the top again.

UNLESS Mori commits to just having him stomp these fights, I am very worried of the possibility that he reverts to old patterns and has Ippo forget all these lessons to make some sort of tension in order to keep it "interesting"

it would be a huge narrative whiplash if he made ippo stink upon coming back. there'll be a few growing pains but i have enough faith that an author who decided to do this whole perpendicular arc to actually grow ippo won't just magically forget that he did so upon his return. he's handling the power up with great care, seems silly to be nervous that he won't handle the return with similar care

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

he saw the hog

Asuron posted:

It seems pretty easy to jump a bunch of ranks if you can find someone already up there willing to challenge you. Right after he won the Rookie King East v West thing Date's student, who was #5, challenged him because he didn't think Ippo was worthy to even deign to challenge his senpai. Ippo pretty easily fucks him up in one round.

But anyway with all the goodwill he still has and already being on Martinez's radar, it wouldn't be complete fantasy to have him just get vouched-for into a high level match and get a decent world rank back in short order. 'Short' for this manga anyway.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 9, 2022

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Ippo's 2nd loss happened around five years ago now (I think?) and I still have no clue where the series is going. It feels like the series has meandered between Ippo's health, his day-to-day life, his training of other boxers, and always hinting at his return, yet never pulling the trigger.

* If Woli wins, then it will be hot garbage because it's not earned, as Woli is still doing Street Fighter moves. If Martinez wins (like I'm expecting), then Woli isn't an important enough character to prompt Ippo to come back. A Sendo loss/possible death would have made for a perfect gateway for Ippo's return, so maybe this is just a long lead-in to that?
* If Ippo does return, then how much of an uphill struggle will he have reclaiming and ascending from his previous position?
Ippo won't get laid. I'm 100% confident in that prediction

It's a grim thought, but I wonder if the recent passing of Miura has prompted Morikawa to think about the end of the series and to start building towards it? I'm curious what everyone else thinks about the future direction of the series?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i like the comic

what if woli completely stops doing street fighter moves in the actual match

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ippo is going to counter with the Frog Punch after crouching lying in wait after four hours.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

One think I like for this chapter is all of the lateral movement! I feel like for at least a decade, there was so little lateral movement used in Ippo's fights. Even if they did happen, they must have been so few because I'm blanking on any lateral movement panels. Closest I can think of is the Karasawa squash (but that was more cutting him off before he can escape the corner using diagonal steps) which is very different from what happens in this chapter.

Also, jabs! Lots and lots of jabs!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Artelier posted:

Also, jabs! Lots and lots of jabs!
Ah yes, the thing he could have won his last match with!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ippo gets back into the ring by crippling Volg so hard that they put a wig on him and make him fight in Volg’s place so he doesn’t lose his title

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

ippo gonna parry the uppercut of white fang with his monster dong

The True Dempsey Roll will finally be achieved when Ippo realizes he needs to integrate his hog into the move. The flaw in his existing Dempsey Roll is that it doesn't account for the size and weight of his hog throwing off his balance.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Coach kamogawa failed to account for Ippo's ginormous dong and peanut-sized brain, to reach his full potential he should be upside-down due to his inverted dong-to-neuron ratio, walking on his hands and boxing with his feet.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really hope we get to see Kamogawa confronted with the fact that he's a good trainer but a poo poo coach. And I don't mean that just as wanting him to suffer, just... I feel like that would be a better understanding of himself. Or he can reject it and die a bitter old man, that also works, either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The problem I have with ippo getting back into the ring is that he still has brain damage