Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

MMAgCh posted:

Warp Surges can have effects such as granting 5 armour to all enemies for one turn. Mutations may grant similar buffs, and can be induced in enemies either by themselves or by others.

I'm doing a second playthrough on Ruthless difficulty using a ranged squad, and it's been going surprisingly well! It's nice not having to pay any attention at all to the stun counter pretty much. That said, the Magellus fight was an absolute shitshow between the bugs and its generally infuriating encounter design. Not sure I'd have stuck with the game if I'd had to deal with it on my first run.

I've been switching to range heavy squads when I can't use WP and so far it has worked really well, despite not having much in the way of mastercraft gear.

Are there any hangups or mistakes that make the jump to ruthless particularly challenging? I'm considering restarting so I can fully upgrade the engines pre-craftworld but might want to bump up the difficulty, haven't decided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah if you complete the Craftworld mission without at least one engine upgrade you have Seriously hosed Up unfortunately

Yeah, I should have waited another round of bloom missions before doing it, probably.

Can you hang around indefinitely before that or will enemy scaling gently caress you up?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 28, 2022

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

rocket_Magnet posted:

So I faceplanted near the end of my first playthrough and have galloped through a second I did not expect to face off against a corrupted chaos knight! I did green, yellow, blue first go Or expect the fight to go so quickly with an early gift of a librarian & paladin (didn't see either at all in my first game). Librarian, Paladin, Interceptor *2 feels like cheating.

Yeah same, I got a Librarian early on on my replay and drat they are so broken. That Chaos Warp thing kills like 7-8 guys at once early on.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The advanced classes for me-

Librarians are by far the most OP. Near every fight starts with a warp-charge teleport to get everyone right in the enemy pod's face, then psychic scream to stun a couple guys and the execute chain begins.

Chaplains are undertuned a little. I think what they really need is a litany that gives everyone some extra move. Since they use an AP to activate a given litany and don't have any movement skills they tended to get left behind by the rest of the squad. I basically never use anything but the +AP on execute one, though the chant that grants free force strikes and the plus ranged crit get occasional situational presses. The main use for me lategame was to hold the bolter that does +stun damage because he had AP to spare most of the time to run up and plink off some stun.

Purifiers I'm unsold on. I only got one and I built him into the flamethrower because it seemed cool, but he doesn't fit in well with the rest of my crew since I run so stun heavy. I did eventually find a flamer that does a singe stun damage which is good. One subtle buff they could use is a way to preview a shot cone before moving; I wasted some precious AP's getting the right shot lined up on more than one occasion. Seems like they'd be good versus hordes of weenies but lategame most pods are a couple termies and a mech and it never felt totally worth it to have him along except the one boss with nurglings. Well, except the grenade skills combined with the truly OP stun grenade but a purgator can do that too.

Paladins are good enough that mine hit level 9 FAST and I ended up never using him because I wanted to give other people XP. I also lost my only good storm shield at some point in an event and didn't notice then turned down all the new ones that dropped because I forgot I didn't have one and ended up taking him on the final missions with the basic version.

Speaking of the final mission, did I hit a bug or was it like this for everyone? The grandmaster never got AP from other people executing, and using the Justicar +AP thing on him does literally nothing.

I might well start up a hard-mode game soon just to see if it makes me engage with the systems more than 'stun everything ASAP.'

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Double Bill posted:

Also Battlesector, nothing but Space Marines vs Tyranids (though I think it got some new DLC recently)

Yeah, about that… the full price DLC gives you Necrons, and allows you to play them in multiplayer, or play Necrons in the new terrible capture the map campaign mode that has zero story elements.

I loved Battlesector’s original campaign, despite the fact it only features Blood Angels versus Tyrianids, but if I am being honest the two most boring factions in 40k for me are…

Tyranids and Necrons.

So just adding playable Necron units you can only use in multiplayer and in a terrible no-story campaign mode makes that DLC, for me anyway, one of the worst that’s dropped for any game at all in a long time.

In any case, Battlesector has three things going for it—it’s as close to tabletop 40k you can get on a PC, the original Blood Angel campaign is good, and multiplayer isn’t terrible.

That DLC definitely doesn’t make the list.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Just had the strangest bug, had just finished the kadex mission and started a bloom mission nearby that had spawned on my way to that one. Lineup for the bloom mission doesn't show Vakir, but when I teleport onto the planet she's there, huh, move her first clear up some fog and kadex is there just chillin'. No "Pod activation" or any voice lines. "Well done commander" from Vakir MISSIONM COMPLETE.

Uh, I'll take it I guess? winning a bloom mission on move one of turn one :shrug:

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 28, 2022

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

KPC_Mammon posted:

Are there any hangups or mistakes that make the jump to ruthless particularly challenging? I'm considering restarting so I can fully upgrade the engines pre-craftworld but might want to bump up the difficulty, haven't decided.
I haven't found it much more difficult, to be honest. The increase to enemy HP can make the early game a little trickier until your Knights have a few ranks and better equipment; if you intend on executing enemies a lot, I could also see the increased stun counter being annoying until you're able to dish out stuns more reliably. But as I said, I went full ranged pretty much right from the beginning and it really was more doable than I'd expected.

Now Legendary difficulty does look like a handful, and outside of a cursory shits-and-giggles attempt at most I shan't be bothering. :v:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Yeah Ruthless is great - most missions are fun and challenging. But Legendary just looks like a slog.

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007
The real fun of Ruthless is the larger pack sizes.

That 25% extra HP makes a difference early on too; you'll never have quite enough damage to take stuff down in as many actions as you'd like, though the daemonhammer and it's +2 damage on force charge makes it a very good choice until you start finding weapons with better base damage.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Snidhog posted:

The real fun of Ruthless is the larger pack sizes.

That 25% extra HP makes a difference early on too; you'll never have quite enough damage to take stuff down in as many actions as you'd like, though the daemonhammer and it's +2 damage on force charge makes it a very good choice until you start finding weapons with better base damage.

Win without using willpower :shepicide:

That would have been a fun turn otherwise.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I'm in the mid 300 day range and I think I'm hung up, my story objective is to "research the codex toxicus" or w/e, which is a research project that takes I think 3 of each seed color. I literally cannot and have not seen any yellow seeds at all, ever. I think I may have stalled myself b/c I got to a point where I can semi-reliably clear 2/3 of the bloom missions (early engines upgrade and rushing prognosticars which I use to buy more time). Is there something I need to do? I'm just puttering around doing bloom missions, which is all I've done for the last couple dozen days. I'm thinking of restarting on a harder difficulty anyways, if I do is there some way to force certain kinds of seeds to spawn or be offered as rewards? Has anyone bumped into an issue like this?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

rideANDxORdie posted:

I'm in the mid 300 day range and I think I'm hung up, my story objective is to "research the codex toxicus" or w/e, which is a research project that takes I think 3 of each seed color. I literally cannot and have not seen any yellow seeds at all, ever.

If you go through the planets on the map do any have any yellow pips at all? If you do a mission there (which is random) it doesn't matter what the mission specific color is, you'll have a chance for a yellow spawn. I had the same issue with greens because I dumped all of mine in an event but I got more eventually. And I'm pretty sure it's just one of each color for the codex fwiw.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, about that… the full price DLC gives you Necrons, and allows you to play them in multiplayer, or play Necrons in the new terrible capture the map campaign mode that has zero story elements.

I loved Battlesector’s original campaign, despite the fact it only features Blood Angels versus Tyrianids, but if I am being honest the two most boring factions in 40k for me are…

Tyranids and Necrons.

So just adding playable Necron units you can only use in multiplayer and in a terrible no-story campaign mode makes that DLC, for me anyway, one of the worst that’s dropped for any game at all in a long time.

In any case, Battlesector has three things going for it—it’s as close to tabletop 40k you can get on a PC, the original Blood Angel campaign is good, and multiplayer isn’t terrible.

That DLC definitely doesn’t make the list.

newcrons are cool tho, love my space tomb kings

NmareBfly posted:

Speaking of the final mission, did I hit a bug or was it like this for everyone? The grandmaster never got AP from other people executing, and using the Justicar +AP thing on him does literally nothing.

Nah I had the same thing, I think they're just independent of all normal mechanics

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nah I had the same thing, I think they're just independent of all normal mechanics

yeah the +AP stuff does not work on him, and its very likely a bug

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
It sure would be a shame if someone were to accidentally fire at that most unfortunately placed ammunition pile. :getin:

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007
Every time this game gives you a cluster of enemies it's like a little christmas.

This one was where I realised that Purgators were good, actually.

I've also got to give my greatest respects to Librarians. The one I got in my first playthrough was quite late into the game and already specced towards the armour buff so it took me until my second to discoverer Vortex of Doom. The ability to just drop 8 whole damage across a massive area, ignoring cover, seemed too good to be true. I wish that Purifiers and their incinerators were quite as good; you can technically use their gun multiple times a turn, but you'll be spending most of their AP just to get them into permission.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I used to give the +movement armors to my Interceptors but in reality the Purgators are the ones who need it the most. being able to walk on up, unload a full clip then toss a grenade will eviscerate most groups

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The original Chaosgate is free on GOG. They also mentioned more "classic" 40k games coming, as always I'm praying for Dark Omen.
https://www.gog.com/en/game/warhammer_skulls_2022_digital_goodie_pack

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Snidhog posted:

Every time this game gives you a cluster of enemies it's like a little christmas.

This one was where I realised that Purgators were good, actually.

I've also got to give my greatest respects to Librarians. The one I got in my first playthrough was quite late into the game and already specced towards the armour buff so it took me until my second to discoverer Vortex of Doom. The ability to just drop 8 whole damage across a massive area, ignoring cover, seemed too good to be true. I wish that Purifiers and their incinerators were quite as good; you can technically use their gun multiple times a turn, but you'll be spending most of their AP just to get them into permission.

Yeah I started a new game and had two Purgators who both ended up being lots of fun. Sometimes I would rather take the two of them on a mission rather than two Interceptors. Especially when they had 6 grenades each!

And I really don't understand the thinking behind the advanced classes. In my first game I only got one Paladin mid-way through and one Chaplain very late. This time I got one Librarian quite early, which was awesome. And now I only just got a Paladin as I'm about to finish the game. Why make them so rare? It would add some much needed variety.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mordja posted:

The original Chaosgate is free on GOG. They also mentioned more "classic" 40k games coming, as always I'm praying for Dark Omen.
https://www.gog.com/en/game/warhammer_skulls_2022_digital_goodie_pack

I got an extra code for Chaos Gate '98, since I already bought the game. I was going to ask if someone wanted the free code (PM me if you do), though I guess you can also get the game just by getting the free Warhammer pack, so...:shrug:.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Red Rox posted:

And I really don't understand the thinking behind the advanced classes. In my first game I only got one Paladin mid-way through and one Chaplain very late. This time I got one Librarian quite early, which was awesome. And now I only just got a Paladin as I'm about to finish the game. Why make them so rare? It would add some much needed variety.

Day 600+, I've yet to see a single Paladin.

(Except the first grandmaster choice where you get to pick any advanced class, but I had no idea what the classes were at that point so I picked Chaplain... which was a mistake)

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007

Red Rox posted:

I think they're meant to be outright more powerful, though in reality that's only the case for half of them. Librarian has big AoE damage, mass teleport and a bunch of other tricks. Paladins can become virtually unkillable and dish out tonnes of stun damage.

Purifiers, meanwhile, make incinerators viable and have good access to the Purge status, but they largely feel like a spinoff of Purgators. As for Chaplains, their abilities have a constant cost and are far too niche to really be worthwhile unless you're building a whole squad to work with the Litany of Hate. The only time I made a chaplain viable was when I found a crozius that removed the upkeep cost of litanies, and even then there were much stronger picks I could take in his place. The ability to proc Vulnerable off crozius attacks is nice, but not consistent enough to be really appealing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Double Bill posted:

(Except the first grandmaster choice where you get to pick any advanced class, but I had no idea what the classes were at that point so I picked Chaplain... which was a mistake)
I have some 1,400 days played across my two runs and still haven't seen a Librarian. :v:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Double Bill posted:

Ha yeah first time through I had no idea either and picked something boring. But luckily I had to restart my playthrough and got to pick again!

New small patch out today just to fix some crashing and stuttering? Plus looks like they added a new stave as a free gift?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm tired of unequipping masterwork gear every other mission. You can't even keep it off until needed because the chapter master will steal your stuff in an event.

The game really needs to just set your weapons or armor temporarily to the default stuff when you opt into those deeds.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm tired of unequipping masterwork gear every other mission. You can't even keep it off until needed because the chapter master will steal your stuff in an event.

The game really needs to just set your weapons or armor temporarily to the default stuff when you opt into those deeds.

Just don't do those special missions. That one and the one where you can't use willpower and totally not fun and not worth it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The "don't use servo-skulls/grenades" oaths likewise required you to actually un-equip them last time I checked, rather than just disabling them for the duration of the mission. As much as I generally like this game, there are some questionable design decisions in it for sure.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
early on it's easy to do them as you don't have a lot of gear. by mid game you don't need the requisition as much. so why bother

the rewards for grimoires and servitors matters way more

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So, what is generally a good time to do the first quest mission? I'm on day 160 with level 5-6 knights but the final section of that mission still grinds me down despite me getting rid of the surprise demon boss almost immediately.

Is this something that I should not do as soon as possible and instead build up my knights and armor more?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Randler posted:

So, what is generally a good time to do the first quest mission? I'm on day 160 with level 5-6 knights but the final section of that mission still grinds me down despite me getting rid of the surprise demon boss almost immediately.

Is this something that I should not do as soon as possible and instead build up my knights and armor more?

I'd wait until you have enough engines to regularly get two missions a month. Also avoid placing prognosticars until you've done that mission so you can place them with full knowledge of the map's layout (or look up an optimal placement beforehand), since extra systems get added and you might regret your placement.

Not being able to reach any missions before they expire is a thing that can happen without engine upgrades or prognosticars, I don't recommend it.

Edit: on normal difficulty my guys were around rank 6 with mostly t2 equipment when I beat it. My first attempt with my B team, including a rank 1 apothecary, got destroyed by the second part of that mission.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 11, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm around a dozen missions in my legendary difficulty playthrough, and it's been pretty smooth so far, slow and methodical but good enough. Of all the recent balance tweaks to me the most important one has been the changes to the injury threshold, not getting injured soldiers just by getting hit once has been quite a life changer, thanks the Emprah.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
A pretty sizeable patch went live today. There are too many changes for me to bother pasting the whole thing here, so I will settle for pointing out that the Gate of Infinity stratagem has been nerfed and now deducts 1 AP from all units when used.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

quote:

Gate of Infinity is being used to make challenging missions into trivial encounters. This creates an issue around balancing missions and needs to be addressed to ensure the long term health of the game. To that end, we’ve made a slight cost adjustment to the Stratagem for all Grey Knights so that they will receive -1 AP upon use. This does not impact Gate of Infinity's primary purpose of group mobility, but should make it less useful to over-simplify game challenges.

You rotten sunsabitches :argh:

Seriously though, looks like a good patch! Anything that takes out some of the chugginess is very welcome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just had a mission hang on the enemy turn after a Chaos Marine acted but it didn't move on to the next unit. Anyone else had that problem?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
So what the hell do I do on the mission where the cruiser gets boarded . It keeps telling me reinforcements spawn next turn, and it’s only ever done it one time I tried.

Multiple attempts, throwing domination and/or frenzy while running for cover. I’ve tried running like hell without it once to see if there was something there causing the reinforcements to not spawn. I get hosed by a suppress then hit by the knock back (instadeath), or get knocked into a fire pit (collapses, lights me on fire, kills me), or plagued because I have literally no where on the map to get out of range of everything. I’ve even had one where I was one shot in the first turn where I sprinted in the farthest direction away without casting/shooting. What the gently caress is up with this trash

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Kinetica posted:

So what the hell do I do on the mission where the cruiser gets boarded . It keeps telling me reinforcements spawn next turn, and it’s only ever done it one time I tried.

Multiple attempts, throwing domination and/or frenzy while running for cover. I’ve tried running like hell without it once to see if there was something there causing the reinforcements to not spawn. I get hosed by a suppress then hit by the knock back (instadeath), or get knocked into a fire pit (collapses, lights me on fire, kills me), or plagued because I have literally no where on the map to get out of range of everything. I’ve even had one where I was one shot in the first turn where I sprinted in the farthest direction away without casting/shooting. What the gently caress is up with this trash

I did it by basically running around and not fighting until enough reinforcements had turned up that I could win.

If none are turning up, could be bugged.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Reinforcements are supposed to show up at a rate of one Knight at the beginning of each round. Not sure what happens if they're all away on missions or otherwise unavailable – it could be that you're just screwed in that case.

TentPegg
Sep 22, 2012

So...what I expect is the final mission. How do I go from being a slayer of all to getting myself swamped and beaten up so savagely? Everyone is level 9 but still I am crumbling due to numbers of hostiles...

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

TentPegg posted:

So...what I expect is the final mission. How do I go from being a slayer of all to getting myself swamped and beaten up so savagely? Everyone is level 9 but still I am crumbling due to numbers of hostiles...

Which bit of it? Indoors or outdoors? Indoors I just had the Grand Master leg it to the capture points so the actual number of turns spent there was pretty low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TentPegg
Sep 22, 2012

Turns out walking away for a few days and trying again does the job on the last mission. It was a bit touch and go but I got there. A very humbling experience compared to the missions running up to it.