Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If you listen to enough of them they still gently caress with your brain and how you think. There are no fully detached assessments. Eventually they’ll find something already in there and will try to attach other ideas to it.

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Heath posted:

Do you think ideas are just like sticky pinballs that bounce around inside your noodle simply for having listened to them? Like if you listen to enough anti-vax sentiments for example, that you're eventually going to believe them, simply by force of numbers?

LOGIC [Easy: Failure] Yes. It makes *perfect* sense.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You need to maintain your Purity of Mind by isolating yourself from all other people and their Bad Ideas.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Heath posted:

Do you think ideas are just like sticky pinballs that bounce around inside your noodle simply for having listened to them? Like if you listen to enough anti-vax sentiments for example, that you're eventually going to believe them, simply by force of numbers?

so there's this thing called the unconscious

it's not like you are going to agree with people like that; bar ran dun probably means the far more problematic thing called the "discourse" in psychoanalysis

like, being constantly exposed around antivaxxing dolts isn't going to affect at all the reasoning of someone who understands vaccination (because the discourse of science is something they fully internalize and agree with and far more often can be a good thing than not), the conscious level of that person if you will. However, being exposed to such weaponized bullshit has a psychological cost because the unconscious picks up the meanings to which the conscious level is oblivious (which has to do with feelings, beliefs, sentiments and deep-down rooted signifiers), which then do affect behavior and perspectives

that's how a lot of supposedly very smart, rational, enlightened and erudite people get completely and thoroughly owned by people they think are dumbasses

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
This game just taught me how if I'm racist, I'll have a much easier time detecting other racist people. Thank you, Disco Elysium.

Lena???

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
This game is so god-damned good it blows my mind. Thinking of trying to do a third run at some point in the near future, but had a few questions.

My first run was a "thinker" type build with 1 in psyche and it was hilarious that every mistake caused an emotional breakdown, even leading to threatening to shoot myself because the union boys were making fun of me. I leaned communist for that one but didn't actually finish out the questline, and generally missed some content because I was b-lining the main case. Second run I went 4-4-2-2, sorry cop + pretentious art cop + ultraliberal, which had me in stitches when Kim called me a hustler, a grinder, a 'money engineer' and a 'visionary' to my former colleagues at the very end.

The one thing I haven't tried is a dumb, high physical character and I'm wondering how much that can hinder you, especially if you go the hardcore route. I'm thinking I may not want to totally dump PSY, but will definitely go with 1 INT. Does a build like this hurt you when it comes to any of the political alignment quests? I don't know if I want to try going fascist, but am aiming for something like a useless, himbo superstar cop who never apologizes but also isn't a total racist rear end in a top hat. How are the communist and moralist questlines?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Do a poo poo ton of drugs and punch people.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

so there's this thing called the unconscious

it's not like you are going to agree with people like that; bar ran dun probably means the far more problematic thing called the "discourse" in psychoanalysis

like, being constantly exposed around antivaxxing dolts isn't going to affect at all the reasoning of someone who understands vaccination (because the discourse of science is something they fully internalize and agree with and far more often can be a good thing than not), the conscious level of that person if you will. However, being exposed to such weaponized bullshit has a psychological cost because the unconscious picks up the meanings to which the conscious level is oblivious (which has to do with feelings, beliefs, sentiments and deep-down rooted signifiers), which then do affect behavior and perspectives

that's how a lot of supposedly very smart, rational, enlightened and erudite people get completely and thoroughly owned by people they think are dumbasses

It’s more than just psychoanalysis when you get schema in there it’s hard to get them out. But you can change them or attach other ideas to them.

One of the ways propaganda works now is that they pick specific beliefs that individuals might already have. One might be inclined to distrust vaccines. One might believe in aliens. One might be into whatever not mainstream slightly esoteric idea say, Cryptozoology. They target these small things percentages of people already believe and attach ideology to them. They don’t get everybody but they get percentages of listeners.

The other thing I don’t think people get... a brain isn’t like a computer. You aren’t running on a machine. You are that blob of fat and it isn’t like a software program. You don’t just get to totally delete and overwrite information in your brain. Some things are dangerous to put into it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The other thing I don’t think people get... a brain isn’t like a computer. You aren’t running on a machine. You are that blob of fat and it isn’t like a software program. You don’t just get to totally delete and overwrite information in your brain. Some things are dangerous to put into it.

EMPATHY: If you say 'two days maybe' it will be etched in her mind forever.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

EMPATHY: If you say 'two days maybe' it will be etched in her mind forever.

Well think about what is etched in Harry’s mind forever. I mean a huge part of the story is that you don’t just get to hit a delete button on somethings, like love for another person, even with heroic electrochemistry

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Well think about what is etched in Harry’s mind forever. I mean a huge part of the story is that you don’t just get to hit a delete button on somethings, like love for another person, even with heroic electrochemistry

That is why you need Godly electrochemistry :colbert:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
"You are what you pretend to be" is a worthwhile concern. "Engaging with ideas corrupts you" is silly.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wittgen posted:

"You are what you pretend to be" is a worthwhile concern. "Engaging with ideas corrupts you" is silly.

Internalizing is not merely engaging. Internalizing is participating within an idea. Like a religious or moral conversion. It is making a concept a part of ones self.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s more than just psychoanalysis when you get schema in there it’s hard to get them out. But you can change them or attach other ideas to them.

One of the ways propaganda works now is that they pick specific beliefs that individuals might already have. One might be inclined to distrust vaccines. One might believe in aliens. One might be into whatever not mainstream slightly esoteric idea say, Cryptozoology. They target these small things percentages of people already believe and attach ideology to them. They don’t get everybody but they get percentages of listeners.

So are the ideas already there like you say in the second part or do they get put in there like you say in the third part because you seem to want to have it both ways

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convinced my mother to play this, she died to the tie.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
lol I did not know they added this in Jamais Vu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvMAMMT8KsE

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Internalizing is not merely engaging. Internalizing is participating within an idea. Like a religious or moral conversion. It is making a concept a part of ones self.

You understand that this is a video game, right. Like this is not an accurate mental model. It's a game mechanic where you click a button that says "internalize" and wait a few minutes so you can click a dialog option

Like whatever you're getting at seems to imply that by playing a game like this that features something approximating roleplaying as an actually fascist character -- internalizing a role, in other words, to embody the character -- that it poses an actual existential threat to them

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Problem

A mass of fantastic races swirls in your head: desert pygmees playing with their own excrement, kojkos juggling potatoes, eczema ridden mauns grinning and dancing on wooden clogs. Everyone is there, the whole race gang, plus some that you may have come up with yourself: the thieving sub-kipts and the seolite cast of Fortunates hatching some kind of scheme. In the eye of this *race empyreon*, a vertigo reaching up to the heavens, you sense something... drawing nearer... nearer...

Solution

Everything is calm in the eye of the racestorm. Your mind is lucid and bright. The mindbending phylogenetics appear more distant and, to be fair, a little ridiculous. The great Race Mystery has cleared up. All that's left to do is to verbalize your thoughts - go and talk to Measurehead about your newly-found insights.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Heath posted:

So are the ideas already there like you say in the second part or do they get put in there like you say in the third part because you seem to want to have it both ways

What are ideas?

A form or pattern we see. A category of being. Symbols that are the consequence of a thinking existence that shape our reality.

I don’t want it both ways I just don’t particularly care about a distinction you probably do care about.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bar Ran Dun posted:

What are ideas?

A form or pattern we see. A category of being. Symbols that are the consequence of a thinking existence that shape our reality.

I don’t want it both ways I just don’t particularly care about a distinction you probably do care about.

Lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Heath posted:

Like whatever you're getting at seems to imply that by playing a game like this that features something approximating roleplaying as an actually fascist character -- internalizing a role, in other words, to embody the character -- that it poses an actual existential threat to them

fyad made me mentally ill [serious]

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eh my first decade or so of posting was D&D religion threads so yeah what one thinks might gently caress one’s poo poo up yo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bar Ran Dun posted:

What are ideas?

You're not a fraction as clever as you seem to think you are, and I find this concept of yours absurd.

An example: I've read quite a bit of Yukio Mishima, an actual fascist nut, for whom a right-wing nationalist aesthetic thread runs so deeply in his writing that he incorporates it into his very concept of natural beauty. I even enjoy his novels immensely for what they are, and I've "internalized" them pretty deeply insofar as is necessary when you're reading a novel and trying to engage with it -- you have to live in the characters' heads, sometimes directly in the case of a biased first-person narrator, where you're able to get yourself quite lost in their thoughts. There are very few ways to more directly imbibe a fascist worldview than an elegantly artistic one like this. Nobody except the already converted are moved by dry academic assessments of right wing ideas, but it's quite easy to be moved at an emotional level by art, (especially, even!) by fascistic art. But I invariably come out on the other end of his novels no more sympathetic to a fascistic, nationalistic or even vaguely right-wing viewpoint on any of his personal aesthetics. But what you're saying is that by putting the poison in my brain that I've essentially opened my mind to being, what, corrupted, or turned in some way? That if I, God forbid, enjoyed his writing that maybe there's some seed of evil within me that could bloom into a true existential threat to me and those around me?

If anything what I've come out of his novels with is some insight into the way an aesthetic fascist thinks, and that's been valuable to me even if I don't buy into the base concept and I can't say that it's particularly colored any of my own ideas. Really the main thing I've come out of it with is pity for the author, since a close read of his novels have a way of expressing his deep personal traumas and struggles (especially with his homosexuality) that provide a lot of context for other, similar ideas I hear from other people. And I wouldn't have had that if I had not invited the man into my brain by reading his words.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Heath posted:

If anything what I've come out of his novels with is some insight into the way an aesthetic fascist thinks, and that's been valuable to me even if I don't buy into the base concept and I can't say that it's particularly colored any of my own ideas. Really the main thing I've come out of it with is pity for the author, since a close read of his novels have a way of expressing his deep personal traumas and struggles (especially with his homosexuality) that provide a lot of context for other, similar ideas I hear from other people. And I wouldn't have had that if I had not invited the man into my brain by reading his words.

You: I *know* I can get history back on the right track.
René: The "right track"? This *is* the right track! The only track. (he gets visibly annoyed) This is the world we shaped, a reflection of what we are: cowardly, ugly, and numb. And there are no second chances. We don't deserve them! You just can't go back and restart — that would make everything *MEANINGLESS*! (a shadow of pain comes over his face)
Empathy: There's something *substantial* moving in him, trying to get out.
Volition: He would sooner die than let it surface.
You: What is it?
Empathy: Regret.
You: Regret about what?
Pain Threshold: (as the camera zooms in on Gaston) Him.
You: Him?
Pain Threshold: There's tenderness in the carabineer's look. Tenderness that's curdled into pain or something darker.
You: Ex-love, ex-tenderness...
Pain Threshold: Even worse, a love aborted and smothered, stamped beneath his brilliant boot heel.
René: (you catch the old carabineer's gaze slowly leaving his opponent's wrinkled face as his dark eyes meet yours — whatever turmoil raged in him a moment ago is quelled for now)
Conceptualization: Like the last rays of the evening sun gently kissing the day goodbye, before giving way to unfathomable darkness.
Volition: Willed back into the darkest unexplored depths of his mind — never meant to be shared, seen or confronted.
Composure: A true master of his emotions.
Inland Empire: Hopelessly alone behind the unbreakable walls he spent a lifetime erecting. No one will ever know him.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Heath posted:

And I wouldn't have had that if I had not invited the man into my brain by reading his words.

Yes but I’d reckon you know who you are. That you have a constructed meaning and purpose you’ve chosen for your life. It’s a lot more dangerous to people who don’t have that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

In the logic of the game "internalizing" a thought is pretty clearly more than thinking it through, this whole insane weird theory that normal people are irrevocably tainted by sin for even witnessing incorrect ideology has nothing to do with Harry latching onto stray thoughts like a liferaft to create some kind of persona that isn't an extremely divorced fuckup. When he internalizes advanced race theory he's committing fully to it and making it the fundamental story of who he is, until some shinier brand of political extremism/apocalyptic despair/contempt for the art world comes along and he forgets his old identity completely in favor of the new thing

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 8, 2022

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

In the logic of the game "internalizing" a thought is pretty clearly more than thinking it through, they're the stray ideas Harry is clinging to like a liferaft to avoid thinking about *her*. When you internalize advanced race theory you're committing fully to it and making it the fundamental story of who you are, until some shinier brand of political extremism/apocalyptic despair/contempt for the art world comes along and you forget it completely in favor of the new thing

This is why I internalize Mazovian-Socioeconomics and Revacholian Nationhood and Indirect Modes Of Taxation and Kingdom of Conscience simultaneously :smug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I believe the chances of an individual adopting race science from Disco Elysium is effectively nil. The racists in the game are neither presented as menacing adversaries nor as stylish examples of how to live. The one exception is Measurehead, who is clearly a deranged maniac... if one who is standing in front of the button.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If you listen to enough of them they still gently caress with your brain and how you think. There are no fully detached assessments. Eventually they’ll find something already in there and will try to attach other ideas to it.
The bigger ideas in my head beat up the stupid little ideas and stuff them into the brain lockers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Barudak posted:

Convinced my mother to play this, she died to the tie.

Has she punched Cuno

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

keithy george posted:

The bigger ideas in my head beat up the stupid little ideas and stuff them into the brain lockers.

in a sense when you eat a burger you are becoming a cow a little at a time

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
So in conclusion, researching and thinking about politically fraught or illicit subjects does get you some sideways glances, even if you come out with the correct position.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm going through a second run since I never played the Final Cut content. Pleasantly pleased that a Physical run still ends up thoroughly deranged. Two questions though:

1) Will an Intellect run be pleasantly deranged? It seems like only Conceptualization has potential to be insane.

2) Would it be viable to more or less evenly distribute stats and focus hard on all the insane intuition skills like Conceptualization, Half Light, and Inland Empire?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Greetings from the Simpsons meme thread in GBS:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nessus posted:

I believe the chances of an individual adopting race science from Disco Elysium is effectively nil. The racists in the game are neither presented as menacing adversaries nor as stylish examples of how to live. The one exception is Measurehead, who is clearly a deranged maniac... if one who is standing in front of the button.

We must close the Disco to Hotep pipeline!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

S.D. posted:

Lmao

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

1) Will an Intellect run be pleasantly deranged? It seems like only Conceptualization has potential to be insane.

I thought drama could be wacky at times.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

S.D. posted:

LOGIC [Challenging: Success] - At 0:15 in that video when Homer makes a Legendary Logic check he rolls snake eyes, yet he somehow passes the check regardless. I mean what, are we to believe these were some kind of *magic* die?

AUTHORITY - You sure hope someone was fired for *that* blunder.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

sebmojo posted:

in a sense when you eat a burger you are becoming a cow a little at a time

If you eat a burger the cholesterol might stick stick around in your arteries. Micro nutrients above RDA can mitigate ADHD. What you eat could affect your gut micro biome and could affect your mood and general disposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If you eat a burger the cholesterol might stick stick around in your arteries. Micro nutrients above RDA can mitigate ADHD. What you eat could affect your gut micro biome and could affect your mood and general disposition.

That is why I throw away the ham sandwich (preferably in Gaston's face)

And also the topping pie (preferably in Gary's face)

Only registered members can see post attachments!