Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Please change thread title to “Only Three Rounds of the Condor”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao giroux didn't go to Colorado

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I was out of town on vacation and didn't get a chance to poo poo talk Edmonton, but I knew they were frauds and Calgary should be deeply embarrassed they couldn't get past that team. The bottom half of that roster and goaltending is nowhere near good enough and Ken Holland's job should not be safe.

Looking forward Francouz is a bit of a problem, hopefully Kuemper can come back. I think they can win without Kadri and Girard, but they are pretty much at the limit of their depth right now.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
if the Rangers hold on, I think Colorado is still the favorite. They're so fast, they can score with us, and they'll have home-ice. And they have Makar, who is the only defenseman in the world that is playing better than Fox at the moment IMO, which is crazy considering how good Fox has been. I bring it up a lot, but Jacob would have to do his One Cool Trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ88DqtWoAE

Even with Kadri out, I think it would take an insane series by Shesterkin, and I think Colorado has the passing talent and speed of play to do similar things to the Rangers that Pittsburgh did.

if the Lightning win, I think it's more of a tossup, but I think the Lightning would be favored, especially considering Point might return for that series. Tampa's top stars don't rely on speed and 1-on-1 play to the same extent as McDavid/Draisaitl, so I think Makar/Toews/Byram are not as much of a good matchup for them. And they're dirty as gently caress, and I think Colorado struggles with that and won't have an easy counter unless Kadri somehow comes back. If Kadri doesn't run Binnington, I think St. Louis comes back and probably wins that series due to physicality.

I don't know that the Rangers can be as consistently physical as Tampa outside of Trouba, but they did kind of bully the Canes at times, so maybe there's hope, if we get that far!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/Nathan__Rudolph/status/1534080406710018048
here's everyone trying to figure out whether to touch the trophy

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1534042300497600512
MacKinnon telling everyone not to smile

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1534021341648666624
and the picture with only like 4 guys smiling

Duckman2008 posted:

Please change thread title to “Only Three Rounds of the Condor”
technically, erik johnson is nicknamed the condor, i don't know why though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This is cool.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

this was probably one of the scariest ones I've seen live, you realized it was bad the second they showed the replay and the base of his skull smashed into the dasher

Blake Geoffrion dented his skull in a similar incident.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

After recovering emotionally from the disappointment of losing Kadri to a dirty hit, I'm starting to feel more optimistic about the Avs chances in the finals. Especially if the ECF goes to 7 games and especially if the Rangers win. Has a team ever won the Stanley Cup when they had to play 7 games in the first 3 rounds? I bet they would be exhausted.

And knowing that Kadri's injury is a broken thumb, even if he's not healthy enough to play in the Finals, we can still put him on the ice for one shift and launch him like a missile to take out Igor or Vasilevskiy and put the goaltending matchup on even terms.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DrunkPanda posted:

After recovering emotionally from the disappointment of losing Kadri to a dirty hit, I'm starting to feel more optimistic about the Avs chances in the finals. Especially if the ECF goes to 7 games and especially if the Rangers win. Has a team ever won the Stanley Cup when they had to play 7 games in the first 3 rounds? I bet they would be exhausted.

And knowing that Kadri's injury is a broken thumb, even if he's not healthy enough to play in the Finals, we can still put him on the ice for one shift and launch him like a missile to take out Igor or Vasilevskiy and put the goaltending matchup on even terms.

Careful what you wish for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ88DqtWoAE

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

technically, erik johnson is nicknamed the condor, i don't know why though.

https://milehighsticking.com/2017/07/29/colorado-avalanche-defenseman-erik-johnson-the-condor/

Mile High Sticking posted:

Apparently at some point during the period McNabb observed on TV that Erik Johnson skating looked like a condor. It may have ended there except Altitude Sports announcer Kyle Keefe interviewed Johnson during the second intermission.

During the interview, Keefe remarked that McNabb stated Johnson skated “like a condor” and what did he think of that.

Johnson looked sheepish and admitted, “I’m not sure I know what that is.”

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

DrunkPanda posted:

Has a team ever won the Stanley Cup when they had to play 7 games in the first 3 rounds? I bet they would be exhausted.

The 13-14 Kings

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Kings went 7-7-7

Rangers went 7-7-6

Right?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the new finals patch looks pretty awful on a jersey imo

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Gonna look crowded and even worse on the Rangers jerseys if they advance. In 94 it was on their shoulder and looked good imo.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Douchebag posted:

Kings went 7-7-7

Rangers went 7-7-6

Right?

Yeah

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

deoju posted:

Gonna look crowded and even worse on the Rangers jerseys if they advance. In 94 it was on their shoulder and looked good imo.

It was on their shoulder in 2014 too. Presumably, if they make it, it’d be on the right shoulder.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Wrong thread

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Son of a bitch... apparently Cogliano might have broken his hand trying to block a shot at the end of the last game. Doesn't sound like he'll be able to play in the Finals either :ohdear:

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

T-Bone posted:

hockey loving rules

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
drat, not having Cogliano in is really going to hurt Colorado's chances

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1534529255417204737

Welp, it's been a good run. This is pretty bad!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
At this rate, the Stanley Cup winner is going to wind up being whoever can ice an NHL roster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
This feels like another one of those series that is gonna go 7 because both teams have sucked poo poo on the road this series.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Chad Sexington posted:

At this rate, the Stanley Cup winner is going to wind up being whoever can ice an NHL roster.

Lightning are completely healthy, besides Point, right? And he's expected back next round

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Yeah this is going to be a big issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To make the playoffs fair, for every player one team has to sit the other team should have to sit someone with the closest WAR stat.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I feel like this is true in a lot of years, it’s just hard to notice when injured guys would rather shuffle around ineffectually than actually sit out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

To make the playoffs fair, for every player one team has to sit the other team should have to sit someone with the closest WAR stat.

Alternatively use WAR as a multiplier on suspensions. Injure a scrub with a 0.1 WAR? Knock that ten game suspension down to one. Concuss McDavid with a borderline hit? Suddenly that two game suspension is gonna last a couple months.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Alternatively use WAR as a multiplier on suspensions. Injure a scrub with a 0.1 WAR? Knock that ten game suspension down to one. Concuss McDavid with a borderline hit? Suddenly that two game suspension is gonna last a couple months.

Yeah, because you know what hockey needs? It's social castes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jhet posted:

Won't make a difference because it already does!

So might as well codify it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jhet posted:

It's not social castes, it's skill castes.

Hand Knit, please put Jhet down in Group E for this ignorance.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Perreausha, the cosmic skater.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

DrunkPanda posted:

Lightning are completely healthy, besides Point, right? And he's expected back next round

I guess it is really a backhanded way of saying the Bolts are going to win, yes.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jhet posted:

This but for real.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

clean ayers act posted:

the new finals patch looks pretty awful on a jersey imo

Are they not gonna color coordinate the background like they do with the helmet stickers? The playoff helmet stickers each have a differently colored shield depending on the team's main color.

Anyway even if the jersey patch is black it doesn't look too bad imho, at least not in that pic.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It would be a real shame if the Bolts and Rags ground themselves into dust and let the Avs waltz to a 5-game Cup win.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1534579410501877765

Whoa.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I was poking around NHL.com earlier and it looks to me that the best predictor is if you can win in the road in the post season. Basically everybody is good at home, but the team's that are good on the road end up doing real well.

Best road warriors of the past 20 years (min 8 games, excluding the bubble):
2012 Kings
2002 Red Wings
2019 Blues
2018 Capitals
2010 Blackhawks
2019 Bruins
2004 Flames
2004 Lightning
2007 Ducks
2008 Red Wings
2021 Lightning
2007 Senators
2016 Penguins

This year the Lightning have been okay on the road, the Rangers have been real bad, and the Avalanche are 7-0.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

shoulda let the flames win

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

I'm just asking for a friend.... but you know how calcium helps build strong bones and how milk has lots of calcium?

Well, approximately how many gallons of milk would a person have to drink to have a broken thumb heal within the next 10 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

DrunkPanda posted:

I'm just asking for a friend.... but you know how calcium helps build strong bones and how milk has lots of calcium?

Well, approximately how many gallons of milk would a person have to drink to have a broken thumb heal within the next 10 days?
typical recovery time is between 2 and 3 weeks to be able to go back to normal activity with some stiffness. Kadri will be back game 4.