Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Famethrowa posted:

Huh, interesting. Both Shadow of Mordor and War Thunder locked me into a keyboard only mode. No options to manually change in game menu due to not detecting a gamepad.

e. Tried community mappings but not extensively. I'll have to mess around more

If it's not detecting it at all then the community mappings probably won't help. I can snag Shadows of Mordor and check it, at least, but it's showing up as "verified" too so I don't think it's a common issue. Are you starting it in game mode or desktop mode, and do you have any external things attached?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If it's not detecting it at all then the community mappings probably won't help. I can snag Shadows of Mordor and check it, at least, but it's showing up as "verified" too so I don't think it's a common issue. Are you starting it in game mode or desktop mode, and do you have any external things attached?

it is pulling over my cloud files from playing on PC so I wonder if that is part of it. it's weird, because some of the keyboard outputs mapped to a button, but tooltips are still keyboard and some of the actions aren't mapped to any buttons at all.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
If a steam controller bind is a keyboard or mouse input it will switch over to keyboard interface in-game when used. E.g. if the gyro or trackpad is set to mouse mode, or a button is bound to escape or whatever. Bind everything to controller buttons and joysticks only if you want the game to use controller settings.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Emailed Valve about the lack of any update on my shipment and I got the tracking info, but it still hasn't shipped so :shrug: I guess it didn't ship yesterday or today. I almost wonder if it'll even come this week.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is a matte coating the only difference between the screen of the 512gb deck and the other models?
i got the 256gb without realizing there was a difference in screen specs and am buying an anti-glare screen protector

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

shrike82 posted:

is a matte coating the only difference between the screen of the 512gb deck and the other models?
i got the 256gb without realizing there was a difference in screen specs and am buying an anti-glare screen protector

It's pretty easy to look up but I get the sense that looking up is not your strength.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Valve got me so good. I've bought like 10 games I already own on playstation while waiting for this thing because it sounded "perfect for deck" and they were on sale. well played Gabe.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Got emulators up and I'm in absolute awe at the thing. It's the game boy/game gear era back into my hands, except with better screen and controls.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I guess enough people got this into their hands now - does it live up to the promise of "costs as much as a switch but way more powerful" or do most games just not run very well on the thing. I am still very interested in getting one eventually but like it sounded slightly too good to be true

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t have issues with the way anything runs.

Doubly so now that there is a 40 hz mode

Like Death Stranding looks and plays legit amazing on this thing.

For $399 it’s hard to beat what it can do.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Most things seem to run well on it and the software has improved massively since I got mine a couple months ago. I do think it's best suited to older games and emulators that can run at 60fps with good battery life, but for many more recent games, the 40hz compromise works really nicely. The library of games you can play on this thing is mind bogglingly large.

I think it's more comfortable than the switch unless you've got small hands. It's definitely not as portable due to its dimensions though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I would love to do emulation stuff on the Deck, but the overhead to even just get BotW working was so much I really don't want to tinker that much, I just want to play.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It runs games fine and games for it are cheap or free instead of 60 bucks each with no sale ever

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I guess enough people got this into their hands now - does it live up to the promise of "costs as much as a switch but way more powerful" or do most games just not run very well on the thing. I am still very interested in getting one eventually but like it sounded slightly too good to be true

Since launch I think everyone agrees the Deck is as advertised, a very powerful handheld computer that offers the exact same freedom a PC always did vs. closed ecosystems of consoles, requiring a bit of interest, care and tinkering to get it to do the things you want. Costs more time, but less money and eventually offers more for less. If a game runs it usually runs perfectly well without issues, from small indie games to AAA stuff. It has great haptics and weight and is overall awesome to use. And of course the access to pretty much every game ever puts it ahead to any other device imo, even if not all of them will work. I think the amount of games that don't require much thought and just run is already very impressive. Software gets updated very frequently and they're quick to tackle the strongest pain points.

Steam Deck is good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I can’t see myself grabbing the Switch again unless an exclusive I want to play congress out. The Deck is better in every way.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just love how more and more games are getting verified/playable status every week. Even games that are unverified work great.
After having analysis paralysis at choosing a game to finally play, I decided to start on going through all of the Ys games, so I installed the Steam version of Ys 1&2 and it works flawlessly.
With the ones on Steam (plus emulated PSP ones filling in the gaps), I think that's most of the series available on the Steam Deck.

For some reason, some of them are listed as Unsupported, but a reddit post claims they work fine:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/t7k8ex/ys_origin_felghana_and_napishtim_are_currently/

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 8, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Not sure if that answers your question but I just tried Elden Ring as despite knowing it was supposed to run well, I had a hard time believing it. And well, yes, Elden Ring works perfectly out of the box. oO

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

Like Death Stranding looks and plays legit amazing on this thing.

The gameplay loop is perfect for handheld too. Feels great to drop in and make a quick delivery whenever wherever for those sweet sweet Likes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

It's not going to replace the Switch for people or anything, the Switch still has a lot of features as a console that the Deck just doesn't replicate (docked mode offering a power increase, downloads not being a pain in the rear end, an OLED screen, etc.) and frankly to get maximum potential out of this thing you are going to be doing a lot of tweaking, especially if you want more than an hour and a half of battery life. But it is indeed what Valve promised, a handheld gaming PC with a ton of customization options, a surprising amount of power, and a way of opening up games that haven't been playable portably ever before. I've yet to come across a game that runs disappointingly on this thing, though I'll admit I haven't tried Cyberpunk.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

It's not going to replace the Switch for people or anything, the Switch still has a lot of features as a console that the Deck just doesn't replicate (docked mode offering a power increase, downloads not being a pain in the rear end, an OLED screen, etc.) and frankly to get maximum potential out of this thing you are going to be doing a lot of tweaking, especially if you want more than an hour and a half of battery life. But it is indeed what Valve promised, a handheld gaming PC with a ton of customization options, a surprising amount of power, and a way of opening up games that haven't been playable portably ever before. I've yet to come across a game that runs disappointingly on this thing, though I'll admit I haven't tried Cyberpunk.

I don't really agree with your first point at all, since a docked Switch still performs badly when compared to a Deck, so if anything, it's a minus and not a plus that you can have two differing performance profiles that are both much worse, "Ugh, guess I have to play this game docked since I get 10 FPS in handheld mode."

You should've just mentioned the hassle-free, plug and play docking experience, which the Deck definitely doesn't have, although hopefully it'll be remedied by the standardized dock and accompanied OS updates when it's released.

And I haven't had any problems with downloads, although I haven't used an SD card yet, so maybe that adds a pain point.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Quixzlizx posted:

And I haven't had any problems with downloads, although I haven't used an SD card yet, so maybe that adds a pain point.
It's annoying to get your whole library on the device for sure. I ended up at a hotel right after I got the device and had a few games I downloaded that would crash on boot that were downloaded over the shotty connection (and resting randomly as I brought it with me places). Even verifying the install didn't work, had to uninstall and reinstall for it to work properly. Thankfully it was just The Messenger so it was a small download. Not being able to download in rest/sleep mode is annoying but it's ok for now.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I haven't had any problems with downloads either and the most tweaking I've done is change the framerate and maybe try different Proton versions, both of which are right there on the UI.

For me the Switch is better for social stuff like Mario Kart or other party games and basically nothing else at this point

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I haven't bought one yet but at a distance this is looking like an extended public beta test. The software isn't really "finished" but Valve seem to have made the bet that most buyers wouldn't care since even in a half complete state it's still useful to the PC nerds that are being targeted at launch, who are willing to put up with the jank. Not entirely a negative criticism, it was a smart bet.

A lot of things need to be done though. Anti-cheat still isn't a solved problem and won't be until Valve give an inch and implement at least some OS security/authentication. Per-game profiles for power/frequency/fan settings are in, but they need to go all in and have in-game settings included in those profiles too, with community sharing and developer presets much like Steam Input. Standby downloading, better docking, a lot of bugs and of course compatibility.

But given all that gets implemented, what's left is a very different product to what it is now. If all it takes to play a game is downloading it in Steam with manual tweaking replaced with a profiles for "40hz" "battery saver" etc, that's getting very close to console-style levels of friction. That product has the potential to eat Switch's lunch, hopefully Valve doesn't get bored again.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 8, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You can't play New Pokemon Snap on the deck

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think the Deck could ever really eat the Switch's lunch, the two are going for pretty different things despite being handheld. Anyone that wants a Deck probably either already owns a Switch, or wasn't going to buy one anyway.

For me personally, the Deck is a direct competitor to the XSES. I was going to get one after hearing that they can do homebrew. Now that I have a Deck though, there's really no reason for me to bother, as I have no real interest in the software exclusive to Xbox.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Andrast posted:

Nintendo will always have the 8-12 demographic, sure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the series x is way more powerful than the steam deck for multiplats though

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My Deck is in the hands of FedEx and on the way! But the estimated arrival is... Monday. :negative: I thought Valve was doing 2 day shipping?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
EmuDeck + Emulation Station did most of the tweaking for me and a lot of the stuff I've finally been checking out for the first time (Rondo of Blood, Panzer Dragoon Saga, the GTA PSP games) has been giving me 5-6 hours of battery with better-than-expected audio. The only real tweaking I did was sign up for a Retro Achievements account and add those credentials to RetroArch, added 60 FPS and control camera with right stick cheats/mods to the GTA games in Duckstation, and signed up for a screenscraper account to be able to change the default region to US. Excuse me, it is known as the awful Quest 64. Holy Magic Century? Mystical Ninja 2 Starring Goemon?!

I suppose you could also add "transferring games to Deck from PC" as a tweaking step but EmuDeck makes it dead simple. Each system already has its own folder for games created during the installation process and all system BIOS files get chucked into one folder. I spent a grand total of 35 minutes to set up about 200 games with box art, screenshots, and small video clips. All of it has worked with sleep mode, too, though I am sure I will run into bugs with certain emulators eventually after waking the system up.

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town is the only game I've tried on Steam that won't run, at least that I can think of at the moment. FF7 Type 0's config tool is a pain in the rear end to use but works fine once you set the res to 1280x800.

I did mod Sonic Adventure DX last night but one of the mods I installed brought along a nightmare-inducing audio bug. Uninstalled it, deleted the mod files, and reinstalled the game. I've finished Sonic and Big's stories, did about 10 of the extra missions, and got A level on most of Sonic's stages. Not a single issue since I deleted the mod.

I am using the Deck for Steam games with 30 FPS caps (since my monitor is 144 Hz but older with dedicated gsync that doesn't work below 35 FPS) and emulators. Bully, Okami, Final Fantasy X-2, Grandia, and a handful of other games look pretty bad on my monitor but should be fine on the Deck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Andrast posted:

You can but there's no gyro support atm. Looks fine but that's a deal-breaker personally.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

SCheeseman posted:

The software isn't really "finished" but Valve seem to have made the bet that most buyers wouldn't care since even in a half complete state it's still useful to the PC nerds that are being targeted at launch, who are willing to put up with the jank.

I can't stress enough that the experience is almost totally seamless. The only "jank" I've dealt with is conflicting mods (that you can download right on the store page) and sometimes Death Stranding hangs when you resume from sleep. Everything else has been point and click.

I'm very far from a PC nerd, the closest thing I've had to a rig was a 2013 tower with a 1GB video card. The most advanced thing I've done so far is enter desktop mode, download Battletech from GOG, and install it using the wizard, and then it worked perfectly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SCheeseman posted:

I haven't bought one yet but at a distance this is looking like an extended public beta test. The software isn't really "finished" but Valve seem to have made the bet that most buyers wouldn't care since even in a half complete state it's still useful to the PC nerds that are being targeted at launch, who are willing to put up with the jank. Not entirely a negative criticism, it was a smart bet.

A lot of things need to be done though. Anti-cheat still isn't a solved problem and won't be until Valve give an inch and implement at least some OS security/authentication. Per-game profiles for power/frequency/fan settings are in, but they need to go all in and have in-game settings included in those profiles too, with community sharing and developer presets much like Steam Input. Standby downloading, better docking, a lot of bugs and of course compatibility.

But given all that gets implemented, what's left is a very different product to what it is now. If all it takes to play a game is downloading it in Steam with manual tweaking replaced with a profiles for "40hz" "battery saver" etc, that's getting very close to console-style levels of friction. That product has the potential to eat Switch's lunch, hopefully Valve doesn't get bored again.

As long as Nintendo is a first party dev they're always going to have their IP to fall back on, even if their console falls flat (unless they Sega it up and have like 3 consoles fall flat sequentially). Additionally the odds are pretty good whatever the "next switch" is will be completely different anyways, just because for better or worse that's kind of how Nintendo do.

And yeah I appreciate that Steam did it the way they did it becauae "having the hardware in my hands" is more fun than waiting, but the software layer is 100% "we'll fix it and improve it as we go". I'm honestly not sure they could have done it any other way, too-- if your end goal is supporting as many games you have no actual control over as possible, crowdsourcing it and seeing who's most interested in what and how that plays is the only way you're going to know what to focus on, in the same way that emulators end up with per-game workarounds based on what games have the most demand to function correctly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

I can't stress enough that the experience is almost totally seamless. The only "jank" I've dealt with is conflicting mods (that you can download right on the store page) and sometimes Death Stranding hangs when you resume from sleep. Everything else has been point and click.

Yeah I was gonna say I’ve had very very few issues and I wouldn’t call this thing a beta product at all.

The fact it can suspend and resume games (a thing windows certainly can’t do) is pretty game changing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So Hitman caused my Deck to reboot before forcing it to use Proton. Hitman 2 sent it into a bootloop now... I don't get it, but Proton seems to work again, so whatever.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Samopsa posted:

If a steam controller bind is a keyboard or mouse input it will switch over to keyboard interface in-game when used. E.g. if the gyro or trackpad is set to mouse mode, or a button is bound to escape or whatever. Bind everything to controller buttons and joysticks only if you want the game to use controller settings.

thank you, this worked...for a little bit. I think the touchscreen being tapped will break it again so I need to dig into turning that off.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Nintendo will always have the 8-12 demographic, sure.

Imagine not liking Pokemon Snap

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
saw on twitter the name "steam dreck" beibng bandied around. just a weird thing i noticed

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

saw on twitter the name "steam dreck" beibng bandied around. just a weird thing i noticed

I'd say it an appropriate name.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i love my dreck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Andrast posted:

Imagine not liking Pokemon Snap