Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

EorayMel posted:

That is why I throw away the ham sandwich (preferably in Gaston's face)

And also the topping pie (preferably in Gary's face)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

sebmojo posted:

in a sense when you eat a burger you are becoming a cow a little at a time

The Cow of Theseus

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm going through a second run since I never played the Final Cut content. Pleasantly pleased that a Physical run still ends up thoroughly deranged. Two questions though:

1) Will an Intellect run be pleasantly deranged? It seems like only Conceptualization has potential to be insane.

2) Would it be viable to more or less evenly distribute stats and focus hard on all the insane intuition skills like Conceptualization, Half Light, and Inland Empire?

Rhetoric and Drama can be pretty insane too. Encyclopedia isn’t insane per se but it’s not always helpful and often in very funny ways. Visual calculus is really the only “boring” one

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

That is why I throw away the ham sandwich (preferably in Gaston's face)

And also the topping pie (preferably in Gary's face)

God, there's so much in this game. I never came across the pie and I've finished the game at least three times.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I never came across the pie

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Encyclopedia rules. If you don't want to know useless facts that are of no help to anyone I don't want to know you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

uPen posted:

Encyclopedia rules. If you don't want to know useless facts that are of no help to anyone I don't want to know you.

You: What's a "contact microphone"?
Acele: A contact mic records sounds from inside things. Like this ice.
Encyclopedia: Your mangled brain would like you to know that there is a boxer called Contact Mike.
You: Yeah? Any news on my wife's name? How about my mother?
Encyclopedia: Nope. You're welcome.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I wonder how that Contact Mike joke plays when translated in languages with very different sounding words for contact, microphone, and/or may not have the name Mike in common use.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Caufman posted:

I wonder how that Contact Mike joke plays when translated in languages with very different sounding words for contact, microphone, and/or may not have the name Mike in common use.

The Contact Mike joke works in many different languages, just like Contact Mike worked many different opponents in his journey to become the greatest boxer that history has ever known.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pattonesque posted:

You: What's a "contact microphone"?
Acele: A contact mic records sounds from inside things. Like this ice.
Encyclopedia: Your mangled brain would like you to know that there is a boxer called Contact Mike.
You: Yeah? Any news on my wife's name? How about my mother?
Encyclopedia: Nope. You're welcome.

The perfect encapsulation of Encyclopaedia as a skill and possibly the best exemplar of any skill in the game.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The Contact Mike joke works in many different languages, just like Contact Mike worked many different opponents in his journey to become the greatest boxer that history has ever known.

:hmmyes:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Where the hell does one get that pie?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If you eat a burger the cholesterol might stick stick around in your arteries. Micro nutrients above RDA can mitigate ADHD. What you eat could affect your gut micro biome and could affect your mood and general disposition.

Lol none of that is true. It makes you into a cow.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Samovar posted:

Where the hell does one get that pie?

Inquiring minds would like to know … so that I can throw it on the ground :twisted:

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
From what I understand, you need to pass specific high Authority and Endurance checks AND fail a low Conceptualization one when you first talk to'em, which unlocks the options to ask him about his job, which turns out to be a pie delivery man, allowing you to ask him to deliver one for you, which you can then get when you meet him later in Whirling-In-Rags. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlWAEvK8h-U

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Contact Mike overcame 5000 to 1 odds

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Caufman posted:

I’ve wondered about this kind of thing in general. how do translators deal with this when the structure of a game’s dialogue is built around the existence of a language-specific wordplay/idiom/whatever? You probably can’t just come up with something similarly clever in another language because there are more lines and dialogue options in the game’s dialogue tree built around the wordplay in that one language.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’ve wondered about this kind of thing in general. how do translators deal with this when the structure of a game’s dialogue is built around the existence of a language-specific wordplay/idiom/whatever? You probably can’t just come up with something similarly clever in another language because there are more lines and dialogue options in the game’s dialogue tree built around the wordplay in that one language.

Reminds me of the "pizza/visa" substory from Yakuza Zero, though apparently it's a similar pun in both English & Japanese. No idea how that quest works in other languages

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

there's a Finnish webcomic that at least two different Finns post in at least two different comics threads. the punchline is generally (always?) a pun, and whoever is posting them has been able to come up with a suitable English-language pun for enough of them that the comics get posted regularly.

not at all the same thing, but I'm surprised at how often something works given that the languages are entirely unrelated.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The best example is Asterix. Cover to cover puns, translated into over 100 languages.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

christmas boots posted:

Rhetoric and Drama can be pretty insane too. Encyclopedia isn’t insane per se but it’s not always helpful and often in very funny ways. Visual calculus is really the only “boring” one

Volition is outraged at this slander.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Josef bugman posted:

Volition is outraged at this slander.

I'm only talking about the INT skills there. Believe me if we're opening this to the whole crew of insane and sane skills Electrochemistry and Volition would have been the first ones I mentioned.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Party Boat posted:

The best example is Asterix. Cover to cover puns, translated into over 100 languages.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah, Volition insists they're boring, but they get into a lot of fights with Harry and the other skills because Volition is really a strong and contrarian (to the rest of the gang's) personality. I remember Visual Calculus staying largely above the fray. Perception also plays it pretty plain and straight-forward, but they do get extremely mad when Harry sniffs the toileted and trashed ledger

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Volition is the skill that tells you not to do any of the fun things. But it's also the skill that will pick you up, dust you off, and remind you that you're not defeated yet. It will tell you not to do the stupid thing because you'll look like a fool, but to do the foolish and impossible thing precisely because it's impossible

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Basically, by splitting out the "necessary" parts and building a new one from there if needed. If it's impossible, looking for other opportunities to do something like it nearby in the same character's dialog; this is very easy here where it's just Encyclopedia getting some characterization by randomly piping up about a mishearing and you can make it mishear anything, but if you had to translate this hypothetical pun existing in Chinese about a 微音器 "weiyinqi 'quiet sound device'" and a boxer with the family name Wei who your audience wouldn't recognize, with the image of a boxer flashing onscreen to limit options, you might end up with a Visual Calculus/Encyclopedia duo about 'the ice slowly melting in the May weather'.

"Contact mic" is also a pretty easy one, since almost all languages have a local phonetic approximation of "microphone" as at least a valid variant, Mike Tyson's world-famous, and any language that took the ι in Greek μικρός as the i in "kit" or the i in "king" rather than the i in "price" which might normally obscure things probably treated the ι in Μιχαήλ the same way.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Caufman posted:

Yeah, Volition insists they're boring, but they get into a lot of fights with Harry and the other skills because Volition is really a strong and contrarian (to the rest of the gang's) personality. I remember Visual Calculus staying largely above the fray. Perception also plays it pretty plain and straight-forward, but they do get extremely mad when Harry sniffs the toileted and trashed ledger

This is the funniest moment in the game IMO

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Bismack Billabongo posted:

This is the funniest moment in the game IMO

I also enjoy when Rhetoric tells you that you have now developed the ability to sniff out communists, to which Perception (Smell) goes "no, what. no that's not a thing. harry that's not real i can't do that."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd love an effortful Japanese dub just to hear some prolific anime voice actors have to do some of these lines

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Fabricated posted:

I'd love an effortful Japanese dub just to hear some prolific anime voice actors have to do some of these lines

A Japanese localization has been announced for August. I'm not sure if it will be voiced or not though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

None of the other localizations were voiced so probably not

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Get Takehito Koyasu for Harry, he's the only person qualified to that much insane monologuing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ugh, I just picked up the game again and ran into the exact issue I did the first time which was dicking around for about 6 hours into day 1 and then dying of a heart attack because I dumped Physique to 1 and kept trying to do dumb stuff.

I really wish two of the overarching stats weren't tied to hit-point totals.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
OK? So you have a few options.

1. do a higher stat
2. buy medicine and use it to not die.
3. quit again

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Low on Morale? Put points into Volition!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What skills are associated with the politics of the game. Whilst I know that Rhetoric is the one used for Communism, I think that Volition may have a part to play in it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Savior Faire for Ultraliberals
Empathy is Moralism

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Josef bugman posted:

What skills are associated with the politics of the game. Whilst I know that Rhetoric is the one used for Communism, I think that Volition may have a part to play in it

Endurance is Fascist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Empathy is moralist and savoire faire is ultralib.

Efb