Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is Jack trying to get fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Imagine being a coach for a WASHINGTON DC team and saying this poo poo.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Doltos posted:

I didn't read the story but Russell sucked rear end lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I'm gonna start thefanstribune.com, and it will be about the challenges of being a fan. You are all welcomed to contribute.

The Decade of Spectacular Failure post could have been a cover story.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Obviously being good or bad at football is the only measure of a man

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is Jack trying to get fired?

It’s the NFL. He’s probably going to be considered the next head coach of the Texans or something

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mcmagic posted:

LOL Ron Rivera needs to get his staff under control.

Wasn't "can stabilize a franchise and its culture" like the selling point for Ron Rivera as head coach?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Bengies flirted with Jack del Rio as the defensive coordinator for Zac and I am really really happy that didn't work out.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Dexo posted:

Obviously being good or bad at football is the only measure of a man

There is another measure :dong:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
His name is Rio and he's on the witness stand,

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1534566201002708994

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Advanced Jugs Machine is a great username

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Decade of Spectacular Failure post could have been a cover story.

I mostly lurk these days, but it’s amazing to me that a decade later I still vividly remember this post and the Bills fan’s response.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
hm who could have predicted this

quote:

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns have excused quarterback Baker Mayfield from attending the team's mandatory minicamp next week.

The team said Wednesday that it was a "mutual decision and best for both parties."

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Just cut him already.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Let him be free, you pieces of poo poo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Lifespan posted:

Just cut him already.

Counterpoint: keep him on the roster & pay him to sit on his rear end.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Free Gratis posted:

I mostly lurk these days, but it’s amazing to me that a decade later I still vividly remember this post and the Bills fan’s response.

Can someone post the Bills fans response? It was incredible.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Counterpoint: keep him on the roster & pay him to sit on his rear end.

The ideal situation would be for the Browns to pay him to sit on his rear end, not cut him, then when Watson gets suspended, they've now spent millions to have a rusty-rear end Baker.

Of course there ware several flaws that impact the likelihood of this scenario occurring, chief among them being the oppressive awareness that this is Hell Timeline.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

WalletBeef posted:

I thought it was Fancy rear end Ho who responded.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I always thought it was fine to call it a decade of spectacular failure. The Bills or the Lions didn't fail spectacularly they failed just like you'd expect them to. It was just dull repeated failure for them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

WalletBeef posted:

Jon posted:

To everyone: Check this out.

2002: 10-6, wild card spot. Blew one of the biggest leads in NFL playoff history. One and done.
2003: Started 4-4, lost eight straight, finished 4-12, out of playoffs.
2004: Started 5-2, then went 1-8, finished 6-10, out of playoffs.
2005: 11-5, wild card spot. One of the worst performances in NFL playoff history, losing 23-0. One and done.
2006: Started 6-2, then went 2-6, finished 8-8, out of playoffs.
2007: Started 6-2, then went 4-4, finshed 10-6, won Super Bowl. (:confused:)
2008: Started 11-1, Plaxico shot self, lose 3 of 4, finished 12-4. Totally humiliated in playoffs. One and done.
2009: Started 5-0, then went 3-8, finished 8-8. Statistically the worst defense since 1966. Out of playoffs.
2010: Started 9-5, up 21 points with 8:17 left in a game that would effectively lock up the #3 seed. One of the biggest blown leads in NFL history. Finished 10-6, out of playoffs.
2011: Started 6-2, have lost 5 of 6, are likely to go 7-9 or 8-8 and out of playoffs.

That's nearly a decade of spectacular failure. I'm not sure that there's a word for it. It's worse than improbable. It's beyond embarrassing for that organization. I don't really know how to describe it. Well, except for "Giants."

I'm not trying to be petulant, because the one SB win makes it all worth it. But just take a look at that, y'all. Those are some unreal collapses, and they've come yearly! I'd say that no decade stretch for any team compares, in terms of being a consistently good team that blows it every single year (except one).

Fancy rear end Ho posted:

You listen here and you listen good, you son of a bitch.

A decade of spectacular failure? That's what you call that? Because I'm counting, hold on, one two three four playoff appearances in there, not to mention let's count again, one two three four playoff WINS. Including, you know, the most spectacular, life-affirming, yes-Jesus-loves-you win of all time. You murdered SATAN and we all WATCHED you. You stopped the deathmarch of the New England Patriots, and poo poo, you almost stopped it in the regular season!

YOU, motherfucker, have absolutely no right to talk about a decade of spectacular failure, because YOU, motherfucker, of all people, should know what spectacular failure looks like, because YOUR TEAM CREATED IT.

I don't know if you ever heard of this little team called the Buffalo Bills.

Do you know this man? Because you loving should, prick. His name is Scott "loving" Norwood, a name synonymous with the phrases "laces out" and "No good, wide right." Because he missed a field goal, the final play of Super Bowl XXV, the Buffalo Bills did not win a Super Bowl that your team, the New York Giants, did. In fact, it began a run of what should be considered the single greatest run of excellence and consistency in NFL history, something that has never been repeated. But your team started it. That wall of mental weakness. If Scott Norwood isn't wide right, does Thurman Thomas lose his helmet? Is there another positive memory of Super Bowl XXVII besides Don Beebe stopping Leon Lett's march to the end zone? Do the Bills not quit the fourth time in when the going gets tough?

Aww, your team makes the playoffs and loses their first round. My team has not seen the playoffs since we benched Doug Flutie, the single greatest comeback story the NFL had seen that decade, for Rob Johnson. We haven't sniffed the playoffs since.

How about this, since I think you need this properly illustrated.

2002: 8-8, dead last in the AFC East, while everyone else tied for first. The first Drew Bledsoe year, and poor Drew kept us in contention his entire loving tenure here. He deserved better from every team he ever played for.

2003: 6-10, dead last in the AFC East, and the first year the New England Patriots truly ascend to the top of the division. Our first-round pick was Willis McGahee, who would leave us for greener pastures in Baltimore in 2007 before becoming Tim Tebow's plucky sidekick this year.

2004: 9-7! A winning record! THIRD in the AFC East! The year we drafted Lee Evans and JP Losman. Evans went on to be one of our greatest receivers of all time before being traded to Baltimore for a can of magic beans. JP Losman went on to be MVP of the UFL's Las Vegas Locos. A season saved by a 9-2 deathmarch after an 0-4 start. Which means we got lovely draft positions and fooled ourselves into thinking we were about to turn the corner. Any day now. IN FACT, we might have made the playoffs, but we could not beat the Pittsburgh Steelers playing all backups in the final game of the season. But that's okay! Because we came close, right?!

2005: 5-11. Third in the AFC East because the Jets were amazingly WORSE that year. We didn't have a first-rounder, but our second-round pick was Roscoe Parrish. He is currently hiding somewhere in Ralph Wilson Stadium's mechanical room, surviving on feral cats and making a coat of their skins. The plaster cast he fashioned during team holidays and nobody was looking to house his broken leg is holding. For now.

2006: 7-9. Third in the AFC East by a game over Miami. We fired our GM and brought Marv Levy in to save us. Our first-round pick was Donte Whitner, a safety who played rather well for us. This year, he plays rather well for San Francisco. We didn't feel like paying more than the 3-year, $11 million contract that the 49ers did. Look at them now. Look at us now.

2007: 7-9 again, but an amazing SECOND in the AFC East! SECOND PLACE!!! Only guess what! That's the year the New England Patriots did THAT to the league, and the Bills took it in the rear end from them, losing by a combined score of 94-17. But what a fantastic draft! Marshawn Lynch, who we traded for god drat near NOTHING to the Seahawks! Paul Pozluzny, who left us in free agency to go suck in Jacksonville! TRENT EDWARDS!!!!!!!! Complain about Eli Manning at your own loving peril, because you didn't deal with Trent Edwards.

2008: The year that broke our hearts. We started 5-1. We believed, just like we believed this year. We weren't just winning, but we were winning convincingly. We drafted this dude named Stevie Johnson in the seventh round. It took him awhile, but he came around! Here's the trouble though - it all went horribly loving wrong. Trent Edwards gave up a safety and a game-losing field goal to Miami in Week 8, and the death spiral could never be stopped. We finished 7-9, dead last in the AFC East.

2009: The AFC Legacy year! We played in our old jerseys, jerseys in which we won our two AFL championships. Yes, Virginia, we won a league once. TWICE, in fact. The season started with a MNF game against New England. And god drat it we almost WON the thing except last year's first-round pick, Leodis McKelvin, fumbled a kickoff return at his own 31, setting up the game-losing touchdown. We stumbled to 3-6 and Dick Jauron was finally, mercifully fired. This was also the year, incidentally, that included a 6-3 loss to the Cleveland Browns, a game widely remembered by anyone who saw it as the worst loving football game in the history of mankind. This was the game Derek Anderson went 2-17 for 23 yards, making this the worst quarterback to win a football game in NFL history. Trent Edwards was replaced for a stretch by Ryan Fitzpatrick. It was a nice change of pace. Not that it mattered. Not that it ever matters. We finished 6-10, dead last in the AFC East. Our first-round pick was Aaron Maybin, who now plays for New York more effectively than he ever did for Buffalo. Rex Ryan signed him just to say "gently caress you." And it worked. In the offseason, we threw everything at everyone. Shanahan, Cowher, somebody, ANYBODY to coach this team. Perry Fewell decided he'd rather be the defensive coordinator for YOUR New York Giants, and don't you forget for a loving second that I'm talking to you Jon, loving Jon, you loving rear end in a top hat Jon with his decade of spectacular failure, then be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. We ended up with Chan Gailey because literally nobody else would pick up the phone.

Oh yeah, Terrell Owens was here. That was kinda funny.

2010: The year they started 0-8. The year Buddy Nix started free agency in bed asleep. The year that I found out that the Bills won their first game of the year via the Fox postgame show, and blackout rules prevented them from showing the final play of the game against Detroit, but it sure didn't prevent them from showing the Fox NFL Sunday team watching it on an off-screen TV. I was watching people watching football. And that's how I learned the Bills weren't winless anymore. Edwards was benched in Week 3 and finally cut for Fitzpatrick and his amazing beard. We finished 4-12, dead last in the AFC East. That's three in a row if you lost count. Our first round pick was CJ Spiller, and nobody knew why, since Fred Jackson was not only on our roster, but really loving good.

2011: We started 5-2. We've lost seven in a row since. We gave Ryan Fitzpatrick fifty million dollars and he fell off a cliff immediately thereafter. Fred Jackson broke his leg and he's out for the year. Roscoe Parrish broke his leg and he's out for the year. Lee Evans is gone. Stevie Johnson blames God for his failings. We allowed Reggie Bush to run for the most yards in a game of his entire career - 203. We are eliminated from postseason contention. We are going to finish dead last in the AFC East again. We are not going to make the playoffs again. We have won just enough football games to ensure a middling first-round pick, which will either be okay and leave us after the initial contract or be someone we simply do not need. Or they'll be good after we cut them.

So if you lost count in the midst of that, that's one winning season, four straight last-place finishes and six overall, a division where instead of the Redskins to kick around, we have New England (who Tom Brady has never, ever lost to). There is no light at the end of the tunnel. There is a tunnel at the end of the tunnel. It's the tunnel where Roscoe Parrish has dinner ready for us.

A decade of spectacular failure? No, you loving whiny little baby, that is not a decade of spectacular failure. That is four playoff wins and four playoff appearances. That is a team that is staying firmly in its home market, never to leave. That's a team where various outlets have Scott Norwood's jersey in a place of honor, because that's the kind of shitheap that roots for the New York Giants.

When you go to bed, I want you to thank the LORD for the New York Giants. I want you to feel blessed for your loyalties to a team that puts out quality football for any stretch of time, let alone a period where you could say "defending Super Bowl champions," a phrase I can never, ever say. I, and fellow Bills fans like me, can't even MENTION the Super Bowl without the wry smiles coming, the smug grins. Any mention of the Bills comes with that stigma, a stigma that should be a point of pride.

It started with your team.

If there's any justice in the world, you will be punched square in the taint by Jesus Christ himself, and he will stand over your double-over body, pointing out that HE didn't miss wide left.

There's only one team in New York, and it isn't yours.

There's only one team in New York, and it would kill for the pieces you have on defense.

There's only one team in New York, and you should be keenly loving aware of that.

There's only one team in New York, and it does not want to hear your poo poo.

Go to hell forever, Jon, and suck my dick before you go.

Toodles,

~ Fancy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also the Giants won the Super Bowl a couple months later.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kawalimus posted:

I always thought it was fine to call it a decade of spectacular failure. The Bills or the Lions didn't fail spectacularly they failed just like you'd expect them to. It was just dull repeated failure for them.

kawa they won the superbowl twice

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Technically they hadn't yet won the second one at the time of posting but yes, any decade containing a Super Bowl win cannot be declared as anything other than a success

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I don't see it that way and think that success and failure can come at the same time in that sort of period. I also think it's weird to say how a team had four playoff wins but all those wins were in just one year.

Sometimes success and failure can even come in the same year like the 2019 Ravens.

Or to look at another sport take the Washington Capitals. They won the cup in 2018. But never have made it to even the conference championship any other year in the Ovechkin era. So that's another mix of success and failure. Even though I'd consider it an overall success due to the cup win you can't ignore the failure aspect. So that's why I think it's fine to look at the Giants blowing those years and not even winning in the playoffs at all except for the one where they won the Superbowl.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah but flags fly forever and as a fan of a team whose only title is tainted by a cheating scandal and another team whose titles have people going "lol Jordan was retired" and whose other teams besides the Avs haven't ever won poo poo I'd take that decade any day

And I would never refer to any decade of the Avs that contained a cup as a failure

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

all of that poo poo got argued out for like 2-3 years back then just f everyone's i

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

all of that poo poo got argued out for like 2-3 years back then just f everyone's i

It gets argued all the time. That's just one of the arguments. I have Covid here and don't have anything else to do. Sorry!!

I survived 4 different planes to and from TEXAS right after the mask mandate on planes was dropped. I thought it was never gonna get me....

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The giant s will never win another Super Bowl for the rest of the United States (40 years)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
the true doldrums of the offseason

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Pontius Pilate posted:

the true doldrums of the offseason

This is when poster's iron is really tested.

Will you measure up?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fast cars loose anus posted:

hm who could have predicted this

It is absolutely incredible how stupid the Browns are.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Quiet Feet posted:

It is absolutely incredible how stupid the Browns are.

Only Washington can come close.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What's going to be great is the Browns starting the season with no QB's.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’m assuming that the only reason we don’t have video of him scaling the Capitol is because WFT had a game that weekend.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1534618407567405056?s=20&t=2P9bB8QWrQa93G9K6q-PZQ

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kawalimus posted:

It gets argued all the time. That's just one of the arguments. I have Covid here and don't have anything else to do. Sorry!!

I survived 4 different planes to and from TEXAS right after the mask mandate on planes was dropped. I thought it was never gonna get me....

Man I'm in the same boat. Went back to Michigan for a wedding, tried to take extra precautions beforehand so I wouldn't be "the guy who brought COVID to the wedding," and of course I start showing symptoms the morning after. Fortunately it's been relatively mild, and from all the people I've been in contact with I don't think I gave it to anyone, but it's still incredibly frustrating.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Posts like these are what makes the :tenbux: I spent 15 years ago on this dumb website well worth it.

The best part is that I had the original post on the top part of my monitor, with the response down to the pic of Scott "loving" Norwood at the bottom. I thought the reply ended after that, and boy howdy was I delighted to keep reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The giant s will never win another Super Bowl for the rest of the United States (20 years)