Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
completely unsurprising

https://twitter.com/sourdoughsays/status/1533522454739439617

https://twitter.com/harryh/status/1533489508330745858

drop dead, lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao okay the airb&b is a lil on the nose

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

out here we got one like that.

she opposed the new apartment complex and delayed it a couple years. she doesn’t actually live in town proper. she moved out here from Bellevue only a couple years before. but she has strong opinions about that empty field being “quintessentially *redacted small town* “. used to see her approach folks in the grocery store about it before covid.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

also Jesus Christ why didn’t anyone ever tell how good a deal points can be.

fake edit: because I never had the money for them.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Bar Ran Dun posted:

also Jesus Christ why didn’t anyone ever tell how good a deal points can be.

fake edit: because I never had the money for them.

I dont have any money

What are points

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
You can pay moneyb up front to reduce your interest rate. Effect on your monthly payment is somewhat higher than paying more down payment but you don't get equity

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

projecthalaxy posted:

I dont have any money

What are points

you buy a lower interest rate from the mortgage company for a lot of loving money now so you pay less over time. pretty critical with how nuts interest rates are now

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I see. I figured based on context and general terminology it was percentage points of something somewhere, but thanks cor the info

E:

Mortgage points are the fees a borrower pays a mortgage lender in order to trim the interest rate on the loan. This is sometimes called “buying down the rate.” Each point the borrower buys costs 1 percent of the mortgage amount. So, one point on a $300,000 mortgage would cost $3,000.

Each point typically lowers the rate by 0.25 percent, so one point would lower a mortgage rate of 4 percent to 3.75 percent for the life of the loan. How much each point lowers the rate varies among lenders, however. The rate-reducing power of mortgage points also depends on the type of mortgage loan and the overall interest rate environment.

Neato!

projecthalaxy has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Jun 6, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dems rock

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

drop dead, lady

boomers gotta stare down the barrel of non-existence like the rest of us, no amount of hours spent at city council meetings will stop it.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
i'm listing my house in a day or two, hopefully the market doesn't bottom out on me before this poo poo sells

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

dump this old bitch in the ocean

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

projecthalaxy posted:

I see. I figured based on context and general terminology it was percentage points of something somewhere, but thanks cor the info

E:

Mortgage points are the fees a borrower pays a mortgage lender in order to trim the interest rate on the loan. This is sometimes called “buying down the rate.” Each point the borrower buys costs 1 percent of the mortgage amount. So, one point on a $300,000 mortgage would cost $3,000.

Each point typically lowers the rate by 0.25 percent, so one point would lower a mortgage rate of 4 percent to 3.75 percent for the life of the loan. How much each point lowers the rate varies among lenders, however. The rate-reducing power of mortgage points also depends on the type of mortgage loan and the overall interest rate environment.

Neato!

thank you for the write up!

housing babey: get money so you can buy it

I’m still working on the get money part but I’m optimistic :)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Just for giggles I punched my data into one of those mortgage potential calculators and it thinks I can spare $985 a month for mortgage and interest (i currently am paying $695 rent instead) and thus should pop out and buy an $183,000 house tomorrow. Both of those numbers seem incorrect to me but thats not Homeowner Thought i guess

Also, a lot of houses in my region have suddenly dropped this week down into that price range! Thats probably not a sign or anything.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

Just for giggles I punched my data into one of those mortgage potential calculators and it thinks I can spare $985 a month for mortgage and interest (i currently am paying $695 rent instead) and thus should pop out and buy an $183,000 house tomorrow. Both of those numbers seem incorrect to me but thats not Homeowner Thought i guess

Also, a lot of houses in my region have suddenly dropped this week down into that price range! Thats probably not a sign or anything.

Those calculators also don't consider the maintenance and potential HOA costs you don't see as a renter, so your monthly can end up being a lot more than 985. It really stinks of pre-2008 when people were convinced to take bloated mortgages on small budgets by not being told all the hidden costs and risks.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Grapplejack posted:

Phoenix also has the whole 'no water' thing staring it in the face
Good thing that absolutely will not be a thing affecting prices until the minute the taps literally run dry.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Phoenix also has the whole 'no water' thing staring it in the face

There are houses in coastal Washington that are for sale while they're actively falling into the sea

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
You, a moron: the fact that it could catch on fire and destroy the home is a bad thing
Me, a genious: free heating :smuggo:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are houses in coastal Washington that are for sale while they're actively falling into the sea

Miami still going strong as well, despite the water line literally being an inch below grade

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
A friend sent this

https://cdn.nar.realtor/sites/defau...-05-12-2022.pdf

I thought it was pretty interesting. Institutional buyers made up 13% of sales last year which is less than I would have expected. Also, my local state of Vermont has that number at a whopping 0%, meaning the people yelling about institutional buyers on local reddit are wrong and really the pincers loving us locally are bad supply combined with an influx of affluent individuals from CT/NYC/etc who can just come make cash offers at 150% market on whatever they want to buy as a COVID-escape-zone.

Granted, there's still not much here to feel good about except "things aren't that bad, yet". Tell that to unhomed people.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Cabbages and Kings posted:

A friend sent this

I thought it was pretty interesting. Institutional buyers made up 13% of sales last year which is less than I would have expected. Also, my local state of Vermont has that number at a whopping 0%, meaning the people yelling about institutional buyers on local reddit are wrong and really the pincers loving us locally are bad supply combined with an influx of affluent individuals from CT/NYC/etc who can just come make cash offers at 150% market on whatever they want to buy as a COVID-escape-zone.

Granted, there's still not much here to feel good about except "things aren't that bad, yet". Tell that to unhomed people.

13% is a significant number and isnt that basically doubled from say 5 years ago? the trend lines are there

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A friend sent this

13% is insanely high in a market where housing availability is already kept below demand to enrich rent seekers.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beached Whale posted:

You, a moron: the fact that it could catch on fire and destroy the home is a bad thing

Your Northern California 4bd 2ba is guaranteed to skyrocket in value! Or be just wiped from the surface of the earth by a sheet of flame along with the 25 cul-de-sacs around it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A friend sent this

sincerely, thank you for sharing the link. interesting resource

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ammanas posted:

13% is a significant number and isnt that basically doubled from say 5 years ago? the trend lines are there

yup it is and it's alarming, the fact it's lower than I would have expected just means I am out of touch with some basic realities here. So, I found this interesting.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammanas posted:

actually down slightly from 5 years ago but certainly up over the long term

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

the white hand posted:

Your Northern California 4bd 2ba is guaranteed to skyrocket in value! Or be just wiped from the surface of the earth by a sheet of flame along with the 25 cul-de-sacs around it

"culs-de-sac," incredibly

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Ammanas posted:

it's lower than five years ago, and the trend is flat back to 2010 imo

not that i am defending intuitional buyers but also my realtor hadn't seen any of that in MA

e:fb

this one is pretty interesting too, seems to be a focused to the south

Mad Wack has issued a correction as of 17:09 on Jun 8, 2022

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

the solution is to move to Alaska

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mad Wack posted:

do they know something we dont about climate change or energy lol

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mad Wack posted:

I wonder how this map compares to the degree of tenant rights/renter protections. I wouldn't be surprised if institutional investors prefer to buy in states with fewer laws protecting tenants.

Also, does the 13% include wealthy people casually buying a second house to rent or Airbnb? It didn't sound like that was in the definition of "institutional" (unless they use an LLC), but I may have misread it. I'd be curious how that fits into the larger statistics.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

anime was right posted:

No, they just had a sack of money and were told to buy as many houses as possible in urban and suburban areas, so they focused on the cheapest areas. The fact that those places are the ones most likely to collapse when the bubble pops only matters if they're the ones footing the bill for that, and they aren't.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

incogneato posted:

I wonder how this map compares to the degree of tenant rights/renter protections. I wouldn't be surprised if institutional investors prefer to buy in states with fewer laws protecting tenants.

Also, does the 13% include wealthy people casually buying a second house to rent or Airbnb? It didn't sound like that was in the definition of "institutional" (unless they use an LLC), but I may have misread it. I'd be curious how that fits into the larger statistics.

Texas has shockingly strong renter protections in many ways, left over from the early 20th century. No rent control (but what city has rent control anymore) but I was shocked at how lax california's tenant protections were when I moved out there in 2015. It's literally just that texas has 4 major cities, one of which is an oil town and another is a tech town, and very cheap compared to the coasts (except austin, nowadays).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lots of boomers are moving to the sunbelt because it's cheaper to live there and they like the heat so there's currently a lot of growth and construction in those markets. That's it really.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

anime was right posted:

that it doesn't matter short term and short term profits are literally the only thing that matters

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

13% is insanely high in a market where housing availability is already kept below demand to enrich rent seekers.

its also just counting REITs isnt it? I wonder what the % is when you include foreign investment funds including just small family purchases for investment/parachute usage in metro areas

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Beached Whale posted:

Galaxy brain: Buy the house after it's already burned down to--the risk is priced in!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Cull dis sack (cut off my balls I can't afford a home for my family)

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

TheSlutPit posted:

Galaxy brain: Buy the house after it's already burned down to--the risk is priced in!

Oh thats a good one. I have a friend who wants to move to west Seattle so I sent them this https://redf.in/Q6yJoE

Oh hey look it's had a price drop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

CongoJack posted:

Oh thats a good one. I have a friend who wants to move to west Seattle so I sent them this https://redf.in/Q6yJoE

Oh hey look it's had a price drop!

goddamn. a waterfront lot for under a half million? thats a bargain!