Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I have experienced zero jank on the steam deck, downloads are fast and completely automated without errors, and I haven't run into any OS based issues. The thing is that the steam deck lets you do whatever you want to it, so if you run random ROMs you might get glitches. Might, because I haven't yet

I've handled a lot of handhelds and this definitely isn't some beta test pushed out too soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

There's currently a bootloop bug that can hit you when you go from desktop to game mode. It seems rather minor since it crashes the logo, goes to "verifying installation," then boots normally, but it's scary that it happens.
It's been that way since last Thursday night, both stable and beta OS. So yeah, there's still some jank.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Got my Steam Deck. I knew it was big and hefty but having it in hand really makes it apparent what an absolute beast it is.

I have to ask though. I'm trying to setup emudeck but the application keeps erroring out, like it's not compatible with the Steam Deck's current software. Is that a known thing?

Edit: nvm. I figured out I have to use "execute", not "open" on the file.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 9, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Andrast posted:

Imagine not liking Pokemon Snap

Not that hard to do to be honest.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SCheeseman posted:

Nintendo will always have the 8-12 demographic, sure.
Nintendo's demographic will always be "people who were 8-12 in 1995".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Stux posted:

saw on twitter the name "steam dreck" beibng bandied around. just a weird thing i noticed
Turn your monitor on

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've been enjoying gaming on the steam deck but it also made me appreciate my switch lite more - hopefully the switch 2 has a meaningful SOC update

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Volte posted:

Not sure why you think they peaked in 1995, many more kids owned a NES than a SNES

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Despite their obvious similarities I think the only market that the Steam Deck is going to steal from the switch is basically people that are playing a switch but would rather be playing on something else. The only overlap is pretty much gonna be indie games.

I could see it eventually becoming more competitive given how good the price point is down the line if Valve ever decided to market to parents or something but atm they don't need to market it to anyone lol.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
its called "steam dreck" for a reason

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm pretty sure the Steam Deck is far more likely to be competing against the gaming PC market than the console market, tbh.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

You could also call it the "Stream Deck" if you wanted to make a pee pee joke.

I'm certainly gonna piss off to play video games once mine arrives.

And by play video games I mean tinker with the OS and stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can't call it the Stream Deck, that's already a thing.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huh.

Looks like I won't call it anything for a few more days. Paid early morning last Thursday, current shipment tracker says no delivery 'til Monday. That's a long 11 days to ship.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Hammer Bro. posted:

Huh.

Looks like I won't call it anything for a few more days. Paid early morning last Thursday, current shipment tracker says no delivery 'til Monday. That's a long 11 days to ship.

There's a 24-hr cancellation/address change period. Processing begins on Friday when that ends but it doesn't even get a label printed until Monday and I doubt FedEx picks it up until Tuesday.

I ordered mine on a Monday and it showed up 4 days later, but FedEx didn't have it until Wednesday.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Not sure why you think they peaked in 1995, many more kids owned a NES than a SNES
Yeah, and they probably owned them in 1995. The NES had an insanely long lifetime that lasted well beyond the start of the SNES era. Every single one of my friends had an NES and I'm in the aforementioned demographic. 1995 was basically the last time Nintendo was on top the world - they had beaten the Genesis, the SNES was on top, the NES was still in the tail end of its production lifecycle (new games were still coming out for it well into 1994), the PlayStation wasn't out worldwide until towards the end of the year, and the dark period starting with the N64 hadn't begun yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bloodplay it again posted:

There's a 24-hr cancellation/address change period. Processing begins on Friday when that ends but it doesn't even get a label printed until Monday and I doubt FedEx picks it up until Tuesday.

I ordered mine on a Monday and it showed up 4 days later, but FedEx didn't have it until Wednesday.

FedEx has had mine and it's been in transit since Tuesday, my delivery estimate is Monday as well. So unless FedEx's tracking isn't accurate, I'm looking at 6 days of shipping from when Valve finally shipped it out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Got my email today, instantly ordered. Very hyped

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I got my email Monday and FedEx picked mine up Wednesday and is scheduled to deliver tomorrow (Illinois to Texas). I'm still debating whether I'm gonna keep it or flip it on eBay.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Volte posted:

Yeah, and they probably owned them in 1995. The NES had an insanely long lifetime that lasted well beyond the start of the SNES era. Every single one of my friends had an NES and I'm in the aforementioned demographic. 1995 was basically the last time Nintendo was on top the world - they had beaten the Genesis, the SNES was on top, the NES was still in the tail end of its production lifecycle (new games were still coming out for it well into 1994), the PlayStation wasn't out worldwide until towards the end of the year, and the dark period starting with the N64 hadn't begun yet.
Nintendo were not selling any NES consoles in North America in 1995.

Unless your argument is that by 1995 families that had bought a NES earlier still had them, sure that is possible, but it would indicate an older set than everyone being 12.

You are correct in that the 16 bit generation was the last time they outsold their competitors instead of being the underdog but this does not support an assertion that their largest cohort of 12 year old fans could be found in 1995.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

mem posted:

I got my email Monday and FedEx picked mine up Wednesday and is scheduled to deliver tomorrow (Illinois to Texas). I'm still debating whether I'm gonna keep it or flip it on eBay.

There are some goons in SA Mart looking to buy a Deck if you wanna do a good deed

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Stux posted:

its called "steam dreck" for a reason

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jealous yours hasn't arrived yet?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Nintendo were not selling any NES consoles in North America in 1995.

Unless your argument is that by 1995 families that had bought a NES earlier still had them, sure that is possible, but it would indicate an older set than everyone being 12.

You are correct in that the 16 bit generation was the last time they outsold their competitors instead of being the underdog but this does not support an assertion that their largest cohort of 12 year old fans could be found in 1995.
I never said anything about largest cohort or anything. I said Nintendo has been consistently targeting that demographic as it aged. Their games speak to the Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country kids (most of whom probably did not play those games on day one or even year one, such was the reality of being a child), not the Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, and Wrecking Crew kids, many of whom are are now pushing 50. The home console market in the 80s and the home console market in the 90s straddled two generations, and a big part of Nintendo's market today directly derives from the 90s one. The kids who had an NES and then not an SNES are specifically the ones who I'm not talking about. And this applies to Pokemon too - Pokemon is probably never going to be a phenomenon with 8 year olds again, but it's still big with 35 year olds.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 9, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I was 12 in 1995 and own a Switch, it all adds up. :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Volte posted:

I never said anything about largest cohort or anything. I said Nintendo has been consistently targeting that demographic as it aged. Their games speak to the Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country kids (most of whom probably did not play those games on day one or even year one, such was the reality of being a child), not the Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, and Wrecking Crew kids, many of whom are are now pushing 50. The home console market in the 80s and the home console market in the 90s straddled two generations, and a big part of Nintendo's market today directly derives from the 90s one. The kids who had an NES and then not an SNES are specifically the ones who I'm not talking about. And this applies to Pokemon too - Pokemon is probably never going to be a phenomenon with 8 year olds again, but it's still big with 35 year olds.
"Phenomenon" may be doing a lot of work there, but Pokemon is still very popular with kids, Nintendo isn't relying on 35 year olds, and they wouldn't be making the money they do if they were.

Yes, Nintendo does love to demo target the kids who have fond memories of a NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, DS, 3DS, etc., while also targeting the kids of today, it's their videogame equivalent of a four quadrant strategy. That they cast as wide a net as possible and manage to pull it off as often as they do is why they are as successful as they are.

Lockback posted:

I'm pretty sure the Steam Deck is far more likely to be competing against the gaming PC market than the console market, tbh.
Steam Deck is part of the PC market, it plays PC games. It competes against other PC hardware but it only expands the PC market.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Pirate Jet posted:

It's not going to replace the Switch for people or anything, the Switch still has a lot of features as a console that the Deck just doesn't replicate (docked mode offering a power increase, downloads not being a pain in the rear end, an OLED screen, etc.) and frankly to get maximum potential out of this thing you are going to be doing a lot of tweaking, especially if you want more than an hour and a half of battery life. But it is indeed what Valve promised, a handheld gaming PC with a ton of customization options, a surprising amount of power, and a way of opening up games that haven't been playable portably ever before. I've yet to come across a game that runs disappointingly on this thing, though I'll admit I haven't tried Cyberpunk.

An OLEd screen and dock mode have next to nothing to do with why the switch sells so well. Kids love portable poo poo and it’s cheaper and more easily purchased than the deck, plus Nintendo games. I don’t view them as competitors but rather complementary. The deck has essentially replaced my tower and laptop gaming due to convenience alone. Though I did just have a kid :D

Arkage fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 9, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The OLED model is like 5% of the switch units sold worldwide

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This is pure speculation, but anyone wanna bet that the Steam Linux Runtime "Soldier" that was added last week-ish, has something to do with getting Modern Warfare 2 running on the deck?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soldier is version 2 of the Steam Linux Runtime, its been in use for two years now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my steam dreck and the SD card support really is a fantastic feature.

I can’t even tell at this point when a game is on the SD card vs running off the internal storage.

I have the 512 version but the 64 with an SD card is a hell of a gaming machine for a great price imo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don’t call it a steam dreck, that validates Stux and that’s just a really bad idea.

It’s a Steam Dick and I want to hold it in my hands very badly.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

Soldier is version 2 of the Steam Linux Runtime, its been in use for two years now.
That's what I call dedication.

MarcusSA posted:

I love my steam dreck and the SD card support really is a fantastic feature.

I can’t even tell at this point when a game is on the SD card vs running off the internal storage.

I have the 512 version but the 64 with an SD card is a hell of a gaming machine for a great price imo.

I've found exactly one game that didn't like being on the SD card so far, and it's Soul Caliber 6. For whatever reason loading matches takes roughly twice as long on the SD card. Every other game has worked perfectly.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

I don't think that's quite correct given the insane popularity of Pokémon, but it's an interesting idea.

Outside of Pokémon I'd say the height of Nintendo's cultural zeitgeist was roughly 1988-1991 when the NES absolutely dominated the North American market and before the Genesis really gave them a run.

Thing is, a lot of 8-12 year olds in 1988 "grew out of gaming" whereas 8-12 year olds in 1995 may have stuck with it given the focus of the PlayStation and Xbox on "mature" titles as they got older.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

They're named after TF2 classes. The next one is Sniper.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ColdPie posted:

They're named after TF2 classes. The next one is Sniper.

you expect us to believe that we'll get a version 3 from valve? i'm not falling for that

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It's technically already out! But nothing uses it yet. https://steamdb.info/app/1628350/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

you expect us to believe that we'll get a version 3 from valve? i'm not falling for that

Version 1 was Scout, 1.5 was Heavy and was never shipped because it was a in-progress effort that didn't actually work, Soldier is 2, Sniper is 3 and Medic is 4 and still incomplete.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just messing with this for the first time. 2 questions

1. If I play games inverted but use regular non inverted with a mouse or trackpad. Is there anyway I can set the trackpad to be uninverted while the stick remains inverted?

2. So by using 40fps mode everyone seems to like so much, do I just change the refresh rate and fps cap in the options or is it like, a specific mode I should looking for?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

crystal project is the perfect Steam Deck game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The 7th Guest posted:

crystal project is the perfect Steam Deck game

It’s fun but it’s becoming a bit of a slog for me. In the desert area currently but haven’t played for a couple days. Might modify the difficulty to just get through it.