Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

big cummers ONLY posted:

I haven't played rk aside from dipping my toes into it a few years ago, but at the time it had a reputation as one of the least predatory of these games. Brave Exvius was on the opposite end and considered the most predatory. It was before Raid SL came out.

And Diablo Immortal will probably trump them all for predatory. The guy in the story spent 16k over a year and a half on multiple characters. Absolutely loving stupid but it is going to get worse with DI.

There are streamers who spent $5-15k at one time in the last week and didn't see 1 5* legendary gem in Diablo. Maybe the rates will be too abysmal for most people to even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
My fiancée has gotten like 8+ legendaries without paying any money?

Is her luck just insane or do those drop normally? Or is it just gems that are hard to get?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Agoat posted:

My fiancée has gotten like 8+ legendaries without paying any money?

Is her luck just insane or do those drop normally?

Legendary items drop normally.

Legendary gems drop as 1-5*. The star level is how much they can be upgraded. A 5* legendary gem can be upgraded to 10* and then used to "ascend" your equipment changing the cosmetic and letting you slot even more legendary gems into it. It takes thousands more dollars to upgrade from 5* to 10*.

Legendary gems only drop from Rifts with crests. Crests cost money. 5* legendary gems are a tiny drop chance even when spending money.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Lawlicaust posted:

Legendary items drop normally.

Legendary gems drop as 1-5*. The star level is how much they can be upgraded. A 5* legendary gem can be upgraded to 10* and then used to "ascend" your equipment changing the cosmetic and letting you slot even more legendary gems into it. It takes thousands more dollars to upgrade from 5* to 10*.

Legendary gems only drop from Rifts with crests. Crests cost money. 5* legendary gems are a tiny drop chance even when spending money.

Oh, okay. Gameplay-wise Immortal is fun but I think we're gonna switch to D3 once we hit the pay wall.

I hate logging in to be directed to the lootbox rift. You literally have to go to it to get your reward for logging in.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the poe devs must all be having just the most beautiful week

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Wheeee posted:

I would think anyone who wanted to play poe has been playing it for quite some time. I for one want a Diablo style game, and POE while I know it's very popular is not for me.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve been reading lots about Diablo Immortal’s monetizing schemes. That’s cool. Is the game actually fun to play? Diablo 3 is still the best ARPG when it comes to feel, and I’m curious if Immortal still retains that.

To be clear, I’ve no intention of downloading or even trying the game. I’m just curious if it’s even a fun Diablo game.

It's a big step back from diablo 3 imo, it's a really pared down and simplified version and it's a lot more brain dead.

The big wtf thing for me is the total lack of build customisation, you can't customise individual skills or slot passives or whatever, that doesn't exist. All you can do is choose which of a small number of skills to use.
The only customisation is via the gems which all the craziest monetisation is attached to.

The only effort seems to be in the story and VA and stuff, its not good (as far as I'd got to) but there is a lot of it.

E It did get me to start playing PoE lol

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 8, 2022

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Wheeee posted:

They've been having a wonderful few weeks wondering how they managed to drive off so much of their own playerbase this league.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Well, you do get some customization with the legendarily but those are basically like D3 runes in the best case scenarios. So you can make skill customizations like the crusader’s shield orbiting instead of firing in a line. But many of them are just flat stat/damage bonuses.

However, since legendaries take the place of D3 runes, there is no real legendary like in D3. Apparently this changes significantly once you get max level and get sets which have a lot of passives and can really change your character. That’s a huge loving grind to get there though and grinding the set pieces is supposed to be a huge pain.

Oh, and the legendary items all get a secondary passive when they are awakened, aka $10k+ spent on gems.

There is overall less character depth without the gem system which is the previously mentioned massive money sink.

There was probably a more player friendly way to itemize/monetize DI even with some pay to win aspects. Letting people awaken, reducing the xp curve, giving more opportunities to get gems, and greatly reduce pity timers for 5* would go a long way to making things not awful. That would directly impact the monetization strategy though so it is never happening.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

the diablo 4 devs are probably having a really bad week

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Wheeee posted:

the diablo 4 devs are probably having a really bad week

"So...we gotta start over. How can we spin the delay news?"

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Flork of Cows getting in in the Diablo action now

https://twitter.com/FlorkOfCows/status/1533865099361808384?t=Tfkn2UVrfyABbdz77WOc3A&s=19

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

My build is far from done, but throwing spiders at enemies is pretty rad and does a fuckton of damage.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

All of this has just made me want to buy Diablo 3 on Switch.

C'mon sale

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://careers.blizzard.com/global/en/job/R012336/Product-Manager-Diablo-IV

quote:

Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a passionate, organized, and driven individual to manage the Diablo IV in-game shop experience. This role will be a key member of the Diablo IV commercial team. The ideal candidate will combine their experience working in a live service gaming environment with meticulous attention to detail, strong interpersonal communication skills, and passion to delight our players.

You will play a critical role in managing the Diablo IV in-game store experience for millions of players around the world. As this is a key component of Diablo IV’s seasonal content strategy, you will be the tip of the spear planning the content release schedule, configuring products using our internal tooling, and working with stakeholders across disciplines to ensure regular updates to the store throughout each season go smoothly. Additionally, you will strive to continually improve processes and encourage best practices.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Lmfao rip

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
SeinfeldImOut.gif

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
:ohno:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
They're gonna gently caress it up, aren't they?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Volguus posted:

They're gonna gently caress it up, aren't they?

Oh my yes.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm not expecting it to be comparable to Immortal in a literal sense but I think they'll end up with it comparable in the sense of pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable monetization schemes for the platform.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

That streamer guy, quin something, has now spent NZ$10,000 in the pursuit of a gem and got nothing. Just in case you haven't seen this I will link it:

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1534675137030541313

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Are there streamers that just sit the at pokies putting in coin after coin and pulling the level over and over and over again? Putting the tips they get from their viewers right into the machines.

There are, aren't there? That's way too grim not to be true.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes there are or were as of yesterday

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Whales spending extraordinary amounts of money is probably meeting every sales metric the game had laid out for it, no matter how bad the press around it is.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Are there streamers that just sit the at pokies putting in coin after coin and pulling the level over and over and over again? Putting the tips they get from their viewers right into the machines.

There are, aren't there? That's way too grim not to be true.

It's a huge, huge, huge thing right now. Crypto, NFTs, gambling sponsorships.

the video provides an overview of the situation, and I think it's interesting. i like hasan and his chat, but you can also look up the source video he is reacting to if you dont want to hear him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HwV4DcZ6A

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Phrosphor posted:

That streamer guy, quin something, has now spent NZ$10,000 in the pursuit of a gem and got nothing. Just in case you haven't seen this I will link it:

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1534675137030541313

I mean... he got a ton of stuff. He didn't get the thing he was trying to get that has like a crazy small chance of dropping. I didn't watch the whole thing live only a couple hours of people yelling at him that he was a gambling addict (he was around 2-4k spent) but it seems kind of weird to say he got 'nothing' when ever run he was getting like 5-8 legendary gem drops. He just wanted a perfect one to drop. Doesn't that kind of... I dunno, negate the idea that whales will have all this perfect stuff that f2p can't get? If I'm playing D3 running rifts and I want a legendary to drop with 100% perfect stats and I can pay to boost the chance of legendaries dropping, and I get a ton more legendaries but not the exact item at a 100% perfect roll... how is that a problem? How many 4 stars did he get? A lot of people would be super happy with what he got I'm sure. Why are we default assuming that the only way to be a completionist at the game is to have perfect items? That really isn't the baseline. All these articles about oh it will cost 500k to statistically max the game... like what are you talking about that's not how these games work. In the D3 days it was all about building a set. Nobody would complain about how nobody had 100% perfect rolled complete sets. Fake news lol. In D3 that would be like rolling the max life steal of the item is 35% but you rolled 34% omg you got nothing! I realize it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I think the 'story' here is more like... someone not making the best financial decisions is enabled here to spend like unlimited amounts. That's more of a general thing like people who buy too many lottery tickets or whatever. If he spent another dollar and got the 5/5 perfect gem to drop would he think it was worth it? Would you? If another streamer spends $10 and gets it on the first go what can we learn from this. I like Quinn but the guy is kinda mental, the entire stream people were trying to get him to stop. Maybe a more normal responsible press story would be like 'hey blizzard cap daily spending at $1000 so total sperg nut jobs don't take out a heloc and spend 200k on your game in a day and their family is homeless' kind of thing? I dunno, all of it seems crazy.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 9, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's like a 1/100 to get a level 5 gem and a 1/100 chance that that gem will be a 5/5 level 5 gem

quote:

Doesn't that kind of... I dunno, negate the idea that whales will have all this perfect stuff that f2p can't get?

the only free access to level 5 gems comes out to about one per 18 months, so free players will basically never have level 5 gems and additionally will literal never get 5/5 level 5 gems

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 9, 2022

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's like a 1/100 to get a level 5 gem and a 1/100 chance that that gem will be a 5/5 level 5 gem

the only free access to level 5 gems comes out to about one per 18 months, so free players will basically never have level 5 gems and additionally will literal never get 5/5 level 5 gems

That's nuts if true but I guess my point is that's the rule for everyone right? So nobody will have those gems. Does that like... end the game? If a guy who never spent anything gets one by luck in 18 months and Quinn spends one million dollars and still doesn't have one what is the lesson we have learned? It just seems click baity but I've never thought about this stuff so ???

Here is another random thought, they should make f2p only servers! That way you could have some pure game play server. I guess that doesn't make business sense though for a f2p model... maybe they could charge you a $60 one time fee for peace of mind that you were treated exactly the same as everyone else.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 9, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

particle9 posted:

That's nuts if true but I guess my point is that's the rule for everyone right? So nobody will have those gems. Does that like... end the game? If a guy who never spent anything gets one by luck in 18 months and Quinn spends one million dollars and still doesn't have one what is the lesson we have learned? It just seems click baity but I've never thought about this stuff so ???

People who spenda lot of money will have them and people who do not will not have them. It just means that if you want to be competitive you have to spend a lot.

There's other paywalls in the endgame that box out free players, like requiring a paid currency to upgrade your armor to get a third modifier and everything that requires level 5 gems to upgrade.

Also all the immortal stuff is completely inaccessible to non-paying players and it's the sole source of the very best items in the game.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Quin is a long time diablo content creator, i first came across one of his guides in d3 season 4, for uliana monk.

What he’s doing on that stream is self promotion (he gets to be ANGRY and YELL A LOT) and also exhibiting how bullshit the game is, using himself as the guinea pig.

e: i guess the point is d:immortal is p2w and i’m not gonna play it

mewse fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 9, 2022

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

People who spenda lot of money will have them and people who do not will not have them. It just means that if you want to be competitive you have to spend a lot.

There's other paywalls in the endgame that box out free players, like requiring a paid currency to upgrade your armor to get a third modifier and everything that requires level 5 gems to upgrade.

Also all the immortal stuff is completely inaccessible to non-paying players and it's the sole source of the very best items in the game.

Wow that's nuts. I don't know as much as you. I have no clue what you are taking about with the armor/5 level gems, I don't even know what immortal stuff means. I've been having fun messing around I think I'm level 36 messing around in some area fetching stuff for the curator. Sorry can't really comment on that stuff, I was just more having a reaction the Quinn69 who I really followed when I was nuts into D3 for builds/guides.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

To the previous employee - you are a smart person

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The Blizz of today would not only have kept the D3 auction house and be like "gently caress you, get money", they would only allow the whales have access to primal items.

Can't wait for the poo poo storm on D4!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
This item is incredible. It feels so good running at mach speed at pretty much all times.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

particle9 posted:

I mean... he got a ton of stuff. He didn't get the thing he was trying to get that has like a crazy small chance of dropping. I didn't watch the whole thing live only a couple hours of people yelling at him that he was a gambling addict (he was around 2-4k spent) but it seems kind of weird to say he got 'nothing' when ever run he was getting like 5-8 legendary gem drops. He just wanted a perfect one to drop. Doesn't that kind of... I dunno, negate the idea that whales will have all this perfect stuff that f2p can't get? If I'm playing D3 running rifts and I want a legendary to drop with 100% perfect stats and I can pay to boost the chance of legendaries dropping, and I get a ton more legendaries but not the exact item at a 100% perfect roll... how is that a problem? How many 4 stars did he get? A lot of people would be super happy with what he got I'm sure. Why are we default assuming that the only way to be a completionist at the game is to have perfect items? That really isn't the baseline. All these articles about oh it will cost 500k to statistically max the game... like what are you talking about that's not how these games work. In the D3 days it was all about building a set. Nobody would complain about how nobody had 100% perfect rolled complete sets. Fake news lol. In D3 that would be like rolling the max life steal of the item is 35% but you rolled 34% omg you got nothing! I realize it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I think the 'story' here is more like... someone not making the best financial decisions is enabled here to spend like unlimited amounts. That's more of a general thing like people who buy too many lottery tickets or whatever. If he spent another dollar and got the 5/5 perfect gem to drop would he think it was worth it? Would you? If another streamer spends $10 and gets it on the first go what can we learn from this. I like Quinn but the guy is kinda mental, the entire stream people were trying to get him to stop. Maybe a more normal responsible press story would be like 'hey blizzard cap daily spending at $1000 so total sperg nut jobs don't take out a heloc and spend 200k on your game in a day and their family is homeless' kind of thing? I dunno, all of it seems crazy.

You SHOULD NOT BE ABLE to spend $10,000 on a video game, full stop

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

There are so many good games these days that there's not enough time to play them all, why the gently caress would you play a dumbed down version of a 10 year old game that was already a dumbed down version of Path of Exile, let alone spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars to do it. The devs palpably hate you and think you're a moron, it's insanity.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

particle9 posted:

Wow that's nuts. I don't know as much as you. I have no clue what you are taking about with the armor/5 level gems, I don't even know what immortal stuff means. I've been having fun messing around I think I'm level 36 messing around in some area fetching stuff for the curator. Sorry can't really comment on that stuff, I was just more having a reaction the Quinn69 who I really followed when I was nuts into D3 for builds/guides.

You are in the honeymoon phase that all the reviewers and anyone saying anything positive about the game is in. You start getting story quests only every 3-5 levels and most of your experience starts coming from daily challenges, many of which involve the paid features. So it becomes a grind to get to max level.

Then in the 40s you start getting introduced to the faction/pvp systems which are very much pay to win. You'll start finding content that you can't do because your combat rating isn't high enough and gems give a substantial amount of combat rating, especially higher level ones.

When you get close to max level, you'll start getting set pieces drop. Those set pieces have some bonuses that are just for completing the set and some for "awakening" the gear which involves putting a maxed gem in it (level 10 I believe). You'll look at your gems and realize that your gems don't level to 10. Oh, only a gem that starts at level 5 can get to 10. Well that level 5 gem really only comes from legendary crests and is a really small chance to drop even from those. And then you have to funnel tons of mats into it to level it. And it might not be one that's right for your build.

Now you've hit a pretty big wall. The Faction/PvP systems are player count limited. Only 300 immortals per server and they can vote to kick anyone out that isn't contributing enough daily. The shadows you might be able to get into with the RNG daily lottery this season... but if you don't keep your rank high enough, you get kicked out at the end of the season (around a month). So you can't really engage in that content.

High-tier challenge rifts are out of the question without better gems.

You can grind for set pieces through daily dungeons and legendries but they will hit a plateau without ascension you cannot pass.

I haven't even hit on many of the other systems that want you to pay for them.

The game does a really good job seeming completely approachable and well done long enough to get you hooked. Even spending a little on the battle pass doesn't seem so bad at first because you don't realize the scale of how hosed you are on ever getting anything worthwhile out of it.

For a D3 equivalent, imagine if any torment above 4 required you to meet a certain gear score to access it and every greater rift only dropped a gem if you paid money for each rift.

Basically, there isn't a point to playing or supporting even the good parts of the game because f2p and whales are living in completely different worlds in the game. Whales will get to participate in the PvP content, do the highest tiers of challenge rifts and raids, and generally have fun with all the content. F2p players are just there to provide content for the whales and to make the game feel more fleshed out. This is 100% a game for whales, they don't really give a gently caress about anyone else.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 9, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bust Rodd posted:

You SHOULD NOT BE ABLE to spend $10,000 on a video game, full stop

This guy gets it.

Like, wtf. . . I'd think someone was stupid for spending $1k on the complete ultra mega super combo edition of some game with like a billion DLCs. You can probably get close to that if you're paying full retail for something like EU4 and all its expansions, and I know you can get into crazy money with train simulator.

But at least there you're exchanging money for a defined product, even if I think you're silly for spending your money that way.

This is literally loving gambling. There is no cap on how much you can spend on this poo poo, and there is no guarantee that you'll get what you want no matter how much you spend.

It's a loving slot machine that doesn't even have the dignity to give you real money if you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Re: Quin

It is not the first time he took a monetization scheme to its logical, if somewhat extreme, end point. He did something similar with the mtx loot boxes that Path of Exile sells every league (which to be fair are purely cosmetic and each item is sold individually 2 leagues later), and he spent close to $2k on those to see how much it would cost to get everything, because they had no dupe protection. After that episode he refused to open the lootboxes that GGG gave to streamers on launch weekend.

Interestingly enough, this last PoE league, GGG added dupe protection to the loot boxes, so you hit a hard cap at $300 spent.