Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

Space Fish posted:

https://twitter.com/concodanomics/status/1534575165698453506?t=C-i7yaG7JKa3NmQ9td3r0Q&s=19

Crypto bros always open to competition in the marketplace of-- *laughter begins, is only silenced by blocking*

Ever since someone printed out Ron Paul bitnotes, I was wondering, if they are supposed to be exchanged offline, like real cash, how do you know if the bitcoin numbers on them are valid? Are they one-time use only like a scratchcard? How do you know, without scratching it, that there's a bitcoin on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"self-sovereign"

:thunk:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Paladinus posted:

Ever since someone printed out Ron Paul bitnotes, I was wondering, if they are supposed to be exchanged offline, like real cash, how do you know if the bitcoin numbers on them are valid? Are they one-time use only like a scratchcard? How do you know, without scratching it, that there's a bitcoin on it?

They have amazing tamperproof stickers that they got off amazon that were applied by their cousin who doesn't know what a bitcoin is, so as long as the sticker is in place you can trade the notes in confidence!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation

Boxturret posted:

They have amazing tamperproof stickers that they got off amazon that were applied by their cousin who doesn't know what a bitcoin is, so as long as the sticker is in place you can trade the notes in confidence!

So it's even less secure than a scratchcard. Wonderful.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

*deep breath*

okay. so Optimism is an L2 blockchain, which as I mentioned in an earlier post, tries to not make transactions in cryptocurrency dogshit slow by completely deferring writing into the main blockchain, (L1) (e.g Ethereum Blockchain, Bitcoin Blockchain) and instead only periodically sending transactions updating the total amounts that are in the L2 blockchain.

the gist of it is.. a gnosis safe is basically a more secured smart contract that allows you to authorize transactions only if multiple people agree to engage a transaction. think of those safes that require two people to turn a key at the same time. if neither key is present or one person refuses to go through with the deal, the smart contract won't authorize it. gnosis safes are basically just more advanced and offers more functionality.

what happened was, the optimism people wanted a private key from wintermute, he told them to use the gnosis safe that was deployed on L1 (ethereum blockchain) thinking they could also access the money on L2 (optimism blockchain). So they transferred it and then realized the mistake that there wasn't a gnosis safe created on L2. While they were trying to figure out what to do to make sure they could access the money.. someone way smarter than them realized wintermute's mistake and took advantage of it by basically creating a new smart contract that looked exactly like the gnosis safe contract, except all the ownership was changed to the hacker's credentials so the hacker now had access to the money in the safe because the hacker's multisig matched wintermute's multisig on L1.

he then took all the money that was in the gnosis safe and transferred it back to L1 using 2 bridges. bridges basically just convert different cryptocurrencies that are on different L2 blockchains. once he got it back on the ethereum blockchain (L1) he washed it in tornado cash (which is a tumbler)

:wrong:

making something 'Geonosian Safe' is about protecting your bitcoin from these guys.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Paladinus posted:

These new ron paul funbucks require an app and a server run by the project to use, the notes themselves I assume serve the same purpose as chick tracts

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Lol, did coiners just forget about cold hard cash? I can go pretty much anywhere on earth and purchase anything I want with cash. I don’t need electricity or any kind of app to do that.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
its better than cash, its cash with an expiration date so you can claw it back when your server at applebees rolls her eyes and throws it in the trash

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Also if their servers are down you can't use your cash :lmao:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Offline cash (requires internet connection)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Boxturret posted:

Don’t forget, it had a little checkbox you are supposed to check after the bitcoin the bill represents has been used

An easy way to give someone bitcoins! *contains two QR codes*

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 9, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So it’s basically a check then, not cash. Only it is set to pay out to whoever the bearer is.

So how does this deal with writing more than you have? Let’s say I’ve got .5 butts in a wallet. Let’s even assume they’re smart enough to not send me more than that in Butt Cash. So I order a stack of .25 Butts worth of Butt Bills and start spending them on things.

But what’s to stop me from withdrawing my .5 butts (or just sending them to another wallet I own) as soon as I get my butt bills? Now when people go to cash that in they’re essentially stuck with bouncing checks.

Like Jesus gently caress they somehow made something that combines the worst parts of cash, checks, and wire transfers.

It’s honestly impressive.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Paladinus posted:

Offline cash (requires internet connection)

Offline NFTs are next. What if you print out a JPEG, frame it, and then sell it that way? Sounds revolutionary.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also I’m poking holes in this in minutes while shitposting in bed with a buzz. How the poo poo did no one just I dunno mentally think through how these would get used?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s funny to think of someone hiring thugs to protect their cryptocurrency, but those people wanting to be paid in real money

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

So it’s basically a check then, not cash. Only it is set to pay out to whoever the bearer is.

So how does this deal with writing more than you have? Let’s say I’ve got .5 butts in a wallet. Let’s even assume they’re smart enough to not send me more than that in Butt Cash. So I order a stack of .25 Butts worth of Butt Bills and start spending them on things.

But what’s to stop me from withdrawing my .5 butts (or just sending them to another wallet I own) as soon as I get my butt bills? Now when people go to cash that in they’re essentially stuck with bouncing checks.

Like Jesus gently caress they somehow made something that combines the worst parts of cash, checks, and wire transfers.

Look at this guy thinking through the ramifications of DeFi more than the DeFi crowd.

It will work like the old days, where you call up the bank to verify funds and hope they don't write more checks between now and then, except your bank is now a terrabyte database.

V- somehow worse

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 9, 2022

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

You give them your butts and they sell you the piece of paper that says you own the butts (you don't own the butts anymore, they do, but they pinky swear they'll give them back to you when you ask). That's what stops you, you already gave them all your money.

The paper butts are connected to their non-blockchain system, so when you give it to someone they have to use their special app to verify the buttcash hasn't already been used

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

To redeem the bill you have to cut it open to retrieve the secret buttkey (this is actually how it works)

The real question is what is to stop the people who run the decryption server and manufactured the secret buttkey from taking your butts

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

technically I don't think they're saying you own the butts, just that whoever holds a butt bill has the right to exchange it for an equivalent value of butts. the idea is that nobody would actually do this but the theoretical possibility of being able to do it is what gives the money its value, like how money used to work on the gold standard. the extremely obvious issue is that bitcoin has no inherent value like gold did. also the company running this is guaranteed to spend/somehow lose its bitcoin reserves and collapse. that, or it's going to be exploited by a hacker for hundreds of millions of dollars. not to mention all the practical issues with having to verify each bill is real and still redeemable every transaction.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Looking at it closer, it looks like the bill has a thin conductive strip in it which is presumably how it decides whether to send the public key (check balance only) or private key (spend balance). I'm sure there is no possible way to tamper with this high tech system

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also I’m poking holes in this in minutes while shitposting in bed with a buzz. How the poo poo did no one just I dunno mentally think through how these would get used?

go to sleep gramps you know nothing of the internet future

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Gutcruncher posted:

Don’t forget, it had a little checkbox you are supposed to check after the bitcoin the bill represents has been used

An easy way to give someone bitcoins! *contains two QR codes*

also they couldn't figure out how to put a box on their money so they just wrote [_]

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

*deep breath*

okay. so Optimism is an L2 blockchain, which as I mentioned in an earlier post, tries to not make transactions in cryptocurrency dogshit slow by completely deferring writing into the main blockchain, (L1) (e.g Ethereum Blockchain, Bitcoin Blockchain) and instead only periodically sending transactions updating the total amounts that are in the L2 blockchain.

the gist of it is.. a gnosis safe is basically a more secured smart contract that allows you to authorize transactions only if multiple people agree to engage a transaction. think of those safes that require two people to turn a key at the same time. if neither key is present or one person refuses to go through with the deal, the smart contract won't authorize it. gnosis safes are basically just more advanced and offers more functionality.

what happened was, the optimism people wanted a private key from wintermute, he told them to use the gnosis safe that was deployed on L1 (ethereum blockchain) thinking they could also access the money on L2 (optimism blockchain). So they transferred it and then realized the mistake that there wasn't a gnosis safe created on L2. While they were trying to figure out what to do to make sure they could access the money.. someone way smarter than them realized wintermute's mistake and took advantage of it by basically creating a new smart contract that looked exactly like the gnosis safe contract, except all the ownership was changed to the hacker's credentials so the hacker now had access to the money in the safe because the hacker's multisig matched wintermute's multisig on L1.

he then took all the money that was in the gnosis safe and transferred it back to L1 using 2 bridges. bridges basically just convert different cryptocurrencies that are on different L2 blockchains. once he got it back on the ethereum blockchain (L1) he washed it in tornado cash (which is a tumbler)

So to put it in human terms, the company made a deal to hand over a bunch of money but fat fingered the address (same street number, same street name, wrong city), the delivery got sent there, and nobody involved was around to get it returned but sort of assumed it would be fine until they figured out a fix. The hacker found out, got to the place where the money was sent, and then dropped a building into that spot that looked legit enough to fool the delivery folks into handing it over, and then took it all and immediately put it through a "I just stole a bunch of money, make it seem legit" machine.

Is that about right?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drk posted:

the notes themselves I assume serve the same purpose as chick tracts

You wipe your rear end with them when you run out of toilet paper?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
to explain the optimism scenario (most of it) in a different way: it's still stupidly complicated.

Ethereum (L1) has sidechains (L2s) that are an equivalent of another spoken language aka technical blockchain. So you can send to the same address on an L2, but only on a normal wallet can you interact on that L2. But they exist separately and basically you have to bridge poo poo back and forth, you can't just use L2 assets on an L1 and vice versa as it only exists on one or the other or as a wrapped equivalent.

The way these multisig wallets work (where the gently caress up happens) is it's fancy code that only works on the L1 or only the L2 it's made for. You cannot just send ether (L1) to the L2 wallet, the L2 wallet won't interact with it.

Wintermute, a crypto multimillion dollar market making business, never checked that when they sent two test transactions a token across they could actually access it. By the time they figured out how to reverse the transaction and re-send the tokens so they could access the tokens, someone else already did and then it became the standard "welcome to blockchain get hosed" that immutable blockchains are well known for. It was all done through a privacy mixer so that cash is gone forever. Wintermute put up 50 mil to make up for the 20 lost +, requested another 20 to complete the work, but that's telling enough on its own. Hopefully this will be the end of wintermute.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're not meant to be seriously used for anything, they're just a novelty gift bitcoiners can give to normal people as an excuse to teach them about the magical world of bitcoin

It's basically in the same vein as those novelty fake dollars with religious verses on the back that assholes give as tips

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cyrano4747 posted:

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his ideological preconditions depends on his not understanding it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Here's the thing about the Wintermute test whatever that I don't understand.

Why were they testing this with enough money that poo poo going sideways actually matters?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thank you for your effort. Can’t say I understand it completely yet but I think I have an idea of what happened now

Long winded explanations aside - it also, like so many of these Crypto “thefts” , absolutely reeks of being an inside job and a scam masquerading as a “hack”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jose Valasquez posted:

Agreed, it's a poor analogy because tulips have aesthetic value. Crypto has nothing

You can also eat them. They don't taste good, but if your family is starving because you lost all the money gambling on tulips at least you have a field of tulip bulbs to sustain you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hardawn posted:

Someone should post the count of Monte Cristo book at him

I read this as 'throw'. It's a pretty thick book.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

Why were they testing this with enough money that poo poo going sideways actually matters?

Because what could possibly go wrong? It's on the blockchain!

smellmycheese posted:

Long winded explanations aside - it also, like so many of these Crypto “thefts” , absolutely reeks of being an inside job and a scam masquerading as a “hack”

Maybe this is why so many people have been leaving their jobs to work for crypto companies. Just stay long enough to sit in on a couple meetings or get inside info like this and stay up late after work to steal a couple mil and retire to Thailand for a while.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

MechaCrash posted:

Theoretically, if you knew the guy who stole it then theoretically you could, I dunno, keep half.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

What could possibly go wrong?

https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1534151448199671808

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What I'm getting so far is that 'gnosis safes' are about as good at securing things as 'gun safes' are.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

This feels a bit like "oh poo poo, investment funds were total dipshits again and need someone else to come in and hold the bag".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Indeed, reading the story I was immediately "Oh yeah someone on the inside totally just stole it"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sounds like play-to-earn isn't doing enormously well.

The metaverse, however, seems to be doing fine... just not the metaverse that Facebook's betting the farm on.

https://twitter.com/slhamlet/status/1534661603123003392

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

This is still the only justification they can offer

https://twitter.com/eduard_3007/status/1534781576399183872?s=20&t=Vyx0Z07VI1XJX-_UdgrTmQ

https://twitter.com/eduard_3007/status/1534787935933026309?s=20&t=Vyx0Z07VI1XJX-_UdgrTmQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, and it's still impossible horseshit that literally cannot ever happen.

Even if someone came up with a clever standardised solution where models and textures could be reliably auto converted from engine to engine, model to model, and artstyle to artstyle, it's still going to run into the same problem as NFTs, namely that I could just download the data in question and use it as I see fit, without having to touch a blockchain at any point and without owning the NFT for said data.