Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’d love to see Ranallo do a guest spot for a AEW show. He’s not an all the time commentator, but he’s good to have as a treat on occasion. Forbidden Door would be a good one for him. He’d really sell the New Japan guys to the segment of the audience that doesn’t know who they are.

I have to assume Kevin Kelly's doing Forbidden Door. Probably alternating with Excalibur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pinche Rudo posted:

What would be the worst possible combination at the commentary table? My vote is: Matt Striker on play by play, Stevie Ray and Mark Madden in the 2nd and 3rd seat

Play-by-play, Vince McMahon yelling WHAT A MANEUVER 1800 times a night, joined by Rob Bartlett & Art Donovan.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pinche Rudo posted:

What would be the worst possible combination at the commentary table? My vote is: Matt Striker on play by play, Stevie Ray and Mark Madden in the 2nd and 3rd seat

Striker, Graves, Heel Michael Cole would be completely unlistenable

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
JBL has to be in the mix somewhere

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinche Rudo posted:

Matt Striker and Mauro Ranallo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerry Lawler with literally anyone. He's so terrible that he just drowns out whatever else is happening in the booth.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I watched so much attitude era as a kid and I genuinely can’t remember a single call King ever made except for shrieking about puppies, whether we would see any puppies, look there are the puppies, oh no the heel has robbed us of the puppies etc.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
lawler's matter-of-fact "that's it, he's dead" was occasionally funny

nothing else remotely positive comes to mind

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Eddie Kingston and Lulu Pencil

Edit: This is a fun time to post the realization I had sometime last year, that 20 years ago I hoped beyond hope that J.R. would be the only one talking during a women's match because it was so cringeworthy otherwise, and now in AEW J.R. is the one I hope does not talk during a women's match

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Best announce desk that never was:

Excalibur (moves), DON WEST (excitement) Bobby Heenan (brain)

EDIT Ultramantis Black (devious) in Heenans spot for the first hour

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 8, 2022

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Wait. gently caress. We’re talking about worst team now?

Michael Cole (heel), JBL (also heel), Renee Moxley (girl)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not sure it'd be the best but a super interesting booth would be Excalibur, Lance Russell and Mike Tenay

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Pinche Rudo posted:

Dave as color commentator.

"Um, wait, Maggle, I heard that, you know, wait a second, I heard that Edge had some words for Judgment, that new faction, the new faction, Judgment Day, I got it in my notes somewhere" (papers rustle for the rest of the show)

Barry Bluejeans posted:

lawler's matter-of-fact "that's it, he's dead" was occasionally funny

nothing else remotely positive comes to mind

I always liked his insertion when Vince was revealed as the Higher Power:

Vince: All of you have been made fools of!
King: You're a fool, JR!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The worst team would probably be Mark Madden yelling SNOOCHIE BOOCHIES, Matt Striker doing his entire terrible shtick everyone has talked about, and Lawler being a tone deaf creep. Heel Michael Cole could fit in there as well but I feel bad putting him a worst group because he's shown he can be good when working without Vince.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mike adamle would be in my top 5 worst commentator list

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

oldpainless posted:

Mike adamle would be in my top 5 worst commentator list

But he seems so sweet and innocent. I could never say a bad word about Adamle. He was one of my favorite GMs.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yeah Adamle was really good on American Gladiators back in the day, he was only bad in WWE because of his literal brain damage.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
JR and King had good chemistry.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's your ideal three person commentary team? My limited experience goes right to prime Jim Ross, Bobby Heenan, and Mike Tenay. King and Ross had a great dynamic but King is really gross.

I liked Liger and Milano as color commentators, and that usual pbp guy they have (I don't know their name). Katsuya Ichikawa from DG is also very distinct and brings an intense energy to DG shows.

For English it has to be Kevin Kelly, Rocky Romero, and Chris Charlton for me. Gino's also great too. I'll hold off on saying NJPW is great again until they absolutely get the whole team together in Japan to call Wrestle Kingdom.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

When I did my re-watch of The Attitude Era I was impressed by how much I hated Jerry Lawler. Like, godamn the dude sucks. Mark Madden was the only other person that came close to pissing me off the same way,

At least Mongo is like, hilariously terrible on commentary.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I did like the dog outfits he brought

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's not even what Lawler says - it's the shrill cackling voice that turns me off. That the shrill cackling voice spews the dumbest possible nonsense constantly just multiplies the agony of listening to Jerry Lawler commentary from the Attitude era.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Chaos option: Dusty Rhodes and Booker T

I mean it would also be amazing

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember Paul Heyman and J.R. being my favorite commentary team ever at the time, so perhaps Paul Heyman and Excalibur would actually be even more amazing than Jesse Ventura an Excalibur.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Why do you think Lex Luger isn't seen in a serious light? Watching him on my rewatches of Nitro he is pretty entertaining.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Why do you think Lex Luger isn't seen in a serious light? Watching him on my rewatches of Nitro he is pretty entertaining.

He was pretty beloved and had runs where he got really hot, but he always got hosed in the end. It's unfair but his career is mostly "what could have been"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lex was a mixture of a getting screwed over by bad timing and dumb promoters but also getting screwed by Lex being Lex

I think he's also been hurt by not having a run post WCW anywhere so large parts of his legacy is in control of WWE and well..WWE still doesn't like Lex

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I know it was just the alliteration, but I remember being 100% convinced from his name alone that Lex Luger was the baddest dude in the world except for maybe Hulk Hogan. I mean, when I was 10. I bet I would have loved Bruiser Brody

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I remember Paul Heyman and J.R. being my favorite commentary team ever at the time, so perhaps Paul Heyman and Excalibur would actually be even more amazing than Jesse Ventura an Excalibur.

JR and Heyman were great, I feel like Heyman is a bit underrated as far as commentators go.

Lawler was bad but I sometimes enjoyed him as a cheerleader for Vince/the Corporation/Triple H. Madden didn't even have that going for him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pinche Rudo posted:

Heel Cole, Mark Madden, Art Donovan

Also, Vince is screaming at them nonstop through the headsets.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Lawler could actually be good whenever he had to take the lead with a less experienced announcer or commentating by himself. His racist jokes and his terrible misogyny make him unlistenable but whenever he wasn't spouting that crap, he could actually offer decent insight into matches.

Paul Heyman is maybe my favourite announcer of all time. He's gets mentioned as part of most people's favourite announce pairing of all time (with Jim Ross), as well as somehow being underrated because his name rarely crops up during conversations for best announcer.

Watching back old Nitros, Zybysko is nowhere near as bad as I remember or people make out. His voice isn't great but he's knowledgeable about the wrestlers and psychology.

Hell, even Corey Graves has been good recently and I think he's one of the worst announcers ever. Even in NXT I couldn't stand him, but something has changed recently and he's not nearly as grating.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Am I the only one who hated Zybysko? As a kid i could not understand why they kept calling him The Living Legend and he was always so smarmy. He was ostensibly the face colour guy but he undermined everyone and had this holier than thou attitude to everything. Whenever Heenan showed up it was a relief.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lid posted:

Am I the only one who hated Zybysko? As a kid i could not understand why they kept calling him The Living Legend and he was always so smarmy. He was ostensibly the face colour guy but he undermined everyone and had this holier than thou attitude to everything. Whenever Heenan showed up it was a relief.

The Spicoli thing left a bad taste in my mouth. And he was always about putting himself over.

He did provide a cheap laugh by trying to sue Chris Jericho for using the term "Living Legend ". His lawyer's proof?

Mark magazines that had "interviews" with Jericho that were made up by the people who wrote for those magazines.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 9, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

At least Mongo is like, hilariously terrible on commentary.
Mongo was so bad at every aspect of wrestling that he wrapped around to being good at every aspect of wrestling.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I know it was just the alliteration, but I remember being 100% convinced from his name alone that Lex Luger was the baddest dude in the world except for maybe Hulk Hogan. I mean, when I was 10. I bet I would have loved Bruiser Brody
What did you think of Hardcore Holly?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mongo knew the secrets to being a good third mic:

1. Strong Galoot Energy
2. Small Costumed Dog

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Maxwell Lord posted:

Chaos option: Dusty Rhodes and Booker T

I mean it would also be amazing

co-sign this, frankly

also mauro loving sucks

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's really amazing in hindsight how WWE bungled Lex's entire run (a pretty good heel run, then a forced face turn out of nowhere, then pulling a Lex Special and cutting him off just short of the world title), then it all gets framed by WWE as being Lex's fault

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lid posted:

I never understood why the fans loved him so much and would always chant his name, prompting him to get up from the desk and wave like a royal or something.

Was it just that he was a later stage WCW guy and they latched onto him, or a thing of fans doing it once or twice so then everyone kept doing it because other fans had already done it?

I just never saw the appeal he had as a commentator except maybe that he was the one person at the desk who would willingly fight nWo guys?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The thing was they never explained why he was a living legend and only decades later did I learn he was known as Bruno's protege and in a huge angle turned heel on him. This never came up probably because your biggest story being a bad guy doesn't work as a smarmy face know it all.

Which reminded me how he'd talk down to the other commentators too and straight up bully Tenay who to me, a kid, was genuinely helpful in following the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lid posted:

He started calling himself "The Living Legend" after his Bruno feud, since Bruno was known as "The Living Legend", and it was a shot at him after Zbyszko turned on him. He just used it for so long to get heat that it eventually stuck once he turned face in the 90s.