Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Firebert posted:

There’s really no trade-off — if you have 100 res and classy restoration, only the architects can stop you. Oh no, my grenade cd is 5 seconds longer!

This is why I DONT think it’s getting nerfed, we won’t have Classy Restoration next season so eventually you’ll have to build into healing & sustain or you’ll risk getting swarmed in harder content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think the loss of classy restoration will only make 100 resilience more desirable, not less.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve already seen builds pop up that specifically skip classy restoration and yeah 100 res is still just as good you just heal other ways.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I expect Arc will have mobility, chain lightning and blind for crowd control, so you'll be able to pick from disabling/freezing/weakening enemies and healing, shielding, or gaining resistance for yourself depending on your spec, and a fireteam can have most or all of them - which is cool honestly

10 res just feels like an experiment this season, with the nerf to the resist mods, they only shuffled resist levels around

I suspect they did it to get a good read on where to tune content with players running around having constant healing, resistance, and overshields

Another possibility is moving it from mods to stats because a lot of casual players don't touch mods at all, but then again, casual players also don't max stats or do content where you *need* max res + multiple layers of defenses

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The problem is their whole damage/difficulty model, all the way back to Halo, is making you the chump red bar that dies in a couple hits. People didn't run Protective Light and resist mods because they were lazy they ran them because it was the best way to not constantly get one shot.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If almost every enemy wasn't wallhacking autoaim bots and we could actually dodge more attacks it wouldn't be a problem. But because the AI is so basic they can do nothing but stat pad everything.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
doesn't really matter how advanced the AI are if they die to a stiff breeze and shoot wet paper towels but w/e

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have an exotic cypher to spend and I had no clue about this Monument of Lost Lights.

Anything a top priority?

Currently still rocking Void Warlock

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

I have an exotic cypher to spend and I had no clue about this Monument of Lost Lights.

Anything a top priority?

Witherhoard should be the #1 pick every time. There are very few situations where it's an objectively bad pick for a weapon. It can compliment and fit into nearly any build. It's objectively one of the best weapons in the game.

Edit: Are there better choices situationally? Yeah. Absolutely. Like Ace of Spades or Last Word are probably better PVP picks. It's just Witherhoard does everything. It does PVP, it does PVE, It does endgame, it does casual. It does add clear, and it does boss damage. It just is a great all-purpose weapon.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 9, 2022

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Digital Jedi posted:

Anything a top priority?

As Mandingo pointed out, get Witherhoard if you don't already have it. It's one of the most versatile guns in the game and the catalyst gives it max handling and auto-load holster.

If not? Depends on what you have already.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I got a Vanguard bounty to get kills from incinerate which made me realize just how rare I was getting those. On a solar warlock are the only sources of Scorch your super, grenade, and melee? I'm finding that most enemies die from those attacks way before an incinerate would proc even with the fragments that increase scorch stacks.

My understanding is that attacks that scorch add up until a big damage incinerate procs kinda like how shooting a stasis auto rifle will proc a freeze. Is there something else I could do to actually get an incinerate? I ask because several fragments activate based on incinerate and the only time I'm getting them is from using the fragment that makes my super attacks incinerate enemies. I might drop all of the incinerate fragments otherwise because incinerate spreading scorch isn't helpful if incinerate almost never happens.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the witherhoard catalyst also takes like 11 years to finish, so you wanna get started on that asap

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

I think the incandescent gun perk helps to activate incinerate when enemies are grouped up for multiple activations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Witherhoard it is! Thanks!

edit:vvv thanks for that!

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 9, 2022

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Digital Jedi posted:

Anything a top priority?

http://vykromond.com/destiny/CURRENT_KIOSK_GUIDE.PNG

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I have a roll of the Leviathan shotgun with Incandecent on it and its pretty amazing, just constant chain reaction explosions on kills.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

drat Vyk's got his own .com - but yeah his list is a good guide to start with if you have no idea what you want first :)

Witherhoard is a very solid general pick with a unique effect.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

the witherhoard catalyst also takes like 11 years to finish, so you wanna get started on that asap

I think they patched it so that the seasonal catalyst upgrade now applies to all seasonal weapons from the past, including witherhoard which was the season of the chosen battlepass weapon. It shouldn't be too much of a slog once you get some season levels in.

Tarrabah an S and Witherhoard not is laughable

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Judge Tesla posted:

I have a roll of the Leviathan shotgun with Incandecent on it and its pretty amazing, just constant chain reaction explosions on kills.

This sounds loving dope.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

Just going to echo everyone who said Witherhoard first.

After that, Outbreak Perfected, Izanagi's Burden and Le Monarque in no particular order. All are really good for different tasks.

Jolo posted:

I got a Vanguard bounty to get kills from incinerate which made me realize just how rare I was getting those. On a solar warlock are the only sources of Scorch your super, grenade, and melee? I'm finding that most enemies die from those attacks way before an incinerate would proc even with the fragments that increase scorch stacks.
I assume you mean Ignite. You can use the artifact mod that causes enemies to ignite if you kill them with a solar weapon precision hit while radiant, that makes it pretty easy. Use the fragment that increases the duration of radiant when you get a solar weapon kill and you can keep yourself radiant for as long as you have targets.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Unless you’re a hardcore PvP enthusiast I would take Jotunn or Prometheus Lens over pretty much everything there listed at S Rank because those guns have extra powerful stuff going with this seasons perks, but yeah if you don’t own Witherhoard and Arbalest yet then those are absolutely your priority #1 targets

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 9, 2022

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Arbalest isn't in the monument though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So you've just never shot Tarrabah before huh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s good but what activity are you bringing Tarrabah to over Witherhoard? Add clear? GMs? The Raid? Gambit? I mean literally anywhere, even the crucible, Witherhoard is gonna clean out rooms and kill guardians faster and easier.

Tarrabah makes sense in, like, Trials and 6v6 stack games modes and Witherhoard would just be better for literally any other activity in the game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think they patched it so that the seasonal catalyst upgrade now applies to all seasonal weapons from the past, including witherhoard which was the season of the chosen battlepass weapon. It shouldn't be too much of a slog once you get some season levels in.

That only works for weapons starting last season, Eriana’s and Witherhoard are still ridiculously long

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My favorite is Symmetry being a higher overall rating than Traveller’s Chosen and Outbreak Perfected

e: nvm my new favorite is Bad Juju having a higher PvE score than Eriana’s lmfao

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

That only works for weapons starting last season, Eriana’s and Witherhoard are still ridiculously long

Balls, that's very unfair.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Tarrabah is good for specific builds in specific content when SMG champ mods are around. Witherhoard is good for everyone all the time in all activities, at all levels, in PvP and PvE.

If nothing else, grab Witherhoard, Eriana’s and Symmetry first (in that order) so you can progress their long rear end catalyst quests. Eriana’s and Symmetry’s are both to just do six billion (ok, 400) playlist activities so those at least progress passively while you Play Destiny 2.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 9, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I got Eriana's Vow when I restarted back in I think the beginning of the 2nd season of Beyond Light and still haven't completed it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Kalli posted:

I got Eriana's Vow when I restarted back in I think the beginning of the 2nd season of Beyond Light and still haven't completed it.

I got it during season 11 or 12 iirc and that poo poo took me a solid eight months to finish.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I despise the Witherhoard in PvP. For some reason when I'm damaged by it I don't recognize it until I'm dead. In Iron Banner you could always count on some fucker shooting it in a place I'd end up retreating to and dying from it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Tarrabah is a long range, exotic, solar SMG that gets bonus damage without requiring kills

It's the best best best exotic on the list by a country mile. Invest!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ACValiant posted:

I despise the Witherhoard in PvP. For some reason when I'm damaged by it I don't recognize it until I'm dead. In Iron Banner you could always count on some fucker shooting it in a place I'd end up retreating to and dying from it.

If I have any one complaint about Destiny it’s that I honestly cannot loving tell what it killing me at all anymore, hit registration and damage indicators really need either another pass or for a bunch of accessibility features added so I can set my computer to scream “YOURE STANDING IN DEATH” when I’m in PvP.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PERMACAV 50 posted:

I got it during season 11 or 12 iirc and that poo poo took me a solid eight months to finish.

I just looked it up because I'm at like 360/400 activities and saw there's another step requiring 700 kills with it, that's at least retroactive. Guess I'll pull it out of the vault and get working on those, eesh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The game has always had an over-reliance on status effects in the text area, it's been like that since the first days of D1. VoG had several events that were only described by a single line of text.

It needed an overhaul forever, emergency effects like a debuff you need to clear need to have a clear indicator on the hud. Audio cues help but if people are blabbing instructions over chat they can be easy to miss, and with all the splash damage and movement and flinching it takes real attention to remember to check up on your buff box.

It's even worse now that we can have so many buffs active that not all statuses get displayed on screen. I don't know what the fix is but the upside is I'm not a game developer, the geniuses over at Bungie need to think up a way to make it better (without having to take my eyes off my gun sights).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Too bad you guys missed out on Vow Week in Gambit, that’s when I finished mine

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ACValiant posted:

Witherhoard’s presentation is unusually bad at communicating “you are in a damage over time field, please move.” the damage ticks are extremely far apart which doesn’t communicate that something is doing damage over time, it’s not associated with a clear audio tell, and doesn’t have a good screen overlay effect. compare this to vex milk where you immediately get fast damage ticks, distinctive audio, and electricity effects on your screen.

somewhat related gripe: the red coloring that’s supposed to differentiate friendly vs enemy damage zones like DOT grenades is far too indistinct.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

The game has always had an over-reliance on status effects in the text area, it's been like that since the first days of D1. VoG had several events that were only described by a single line of text.

It needed an overhaul forever, emergency effects like a debuff you need to clear need to have a clear indicator on the hud. Audio cues help but if people are blabbing instructions over chat they can be easy to miss, and with all the splash damage and movement and flinching it takes real attention to remember to check up on your buff box.

It's even worse now that we can have so many buffs active that not all statuses get displayed on screen. I don't know what the fix is but the upside is I'm not a game developer, the geniuses over at Bungie need to think up a way to make it better (without having to take my eyes off my gun sights).

It would help a lot if they just prioritized it better. Encounter mechanics, especially wipe timers, should always take priority over gear. Debuffs should take priority over buffs. Stuff that may persist for a very long time without doing anything, like charged with light or ambitious assassin, should be lowest priority (why is there even a hud callout for ambitious assassin)

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

somewhat related gripe: the red coloring that’s supposed to differentiate friendly vs enemy damage zones like DOT grenades is far too indistinct.

Witherhoard fades from normal to red and back, and does it fairly slowly, so it's a roll of the dice whether you can tell instantly if a pool is safe. Which is still better than a lot of things that don't have any IFF indication at all, like grenade ability AOEs

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I grabbed Witherhoard and my season award ticked bit after so I managed to get Izanagi as well.
Both are pretty fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The week that Witherhoard was first unleashed onto the world was a wild one, every single PvP game was a match of the Floor is Lava and because every single person was using it there was no escape.