Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

tribbledirigible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5N1Aukm4Bo

Bond in Space was my favorite since I was a little kid, but this has been bothering me since I saw it again in my teens. loving dumbshit, controls =/= displays.

Did it earlier in the movie too; opening with the plane the bad guy shoots the gauges to "wreck the controls" (which leads to the awesome skydive fight, so I forgive them for that one at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Can't remember the scene but they were probably just all rolling to see who would go get more snacks.

Yes, this does requires two dice of different values. :colbert:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Stranger Things isn't accurate because there isn't one guy who is looking over their spells and abilities for like five minutes whenever it rollsa around to his turn, trying to figure out what the most optimal thing to do in the moment would be, completely obliterating the pacing of the battle.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Jun 9, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What I mostly learned from Stranger Things was how lovely entertainment was in the 80's.

Imagine if the show was set in loving 2015. Cell phones would have solved so much.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Morpheus posted:

the pacing of the Nate.

Is this like The Passion of the Christ?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

What I mostly learned from Stranger Things was how lovely entertainment was in the 80's.

Imagine if the show was set in loving 2015. Cell phones would have solved so much.

Honestly we've already reached the point where movies are arbitrarily set in 1980-2005 just as an excuse to tell a story without having to worry about someone whipping out an iPhone. Just throw a few period-appropriate songs on the soundtrack and no one will catch on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lavaca posted:

Honestly we've already reached the point where movies are arbitrarily set in 1980-2005 just as an excuse to tell a story without having to worry about someone whipping out an iPhone. Just throw a few period-appropriate songs on the soundtrack and no one will catch on.

Pretty much exactly why Turning Red was a period piece.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Is this like The Passion of the Christ?

I can't imagine how I flubbed 'battle' to the point where my phone thought i was saying Nate, but there you go.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean they had walkie talkies already which was pretty much a stand in for walkie talkies.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My IMM for S4 Stranger Things is why The hell would the scientist keep One around as some orderly in the lab as I feel like it would be a huge liability. Why wouldn't that dude be in a jar in suspended animation at the very least?

And I guess Eleven or One pretty much made the Upside Down? Perhaps their psychic powers work by reaching across dimensions, which can also be bridged by EM radiation (electric lights and speakers get affected). One/Vecna can also seem to reach out psychically to people in our dimension so I guess every human has a weak connection to this realm but people like One, Eleven, etc have a much stronger link ?

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

Panfilo posted:

My IMM for S4 Stranger Things is why The hell would the scientist keep One around as some orderly in the lab as I feel like it would be a huge liability. Why wouldn't that dude be in a jar in suspended animation at the very least?

And I guess Eleven or One pretty much made the Upside Down? Perhaps their psychic powers work by reaching across dimensions, which can also be bridged by EM radiation (electric lights and speakers get affected). One/Vecna can also seem to reach out psychically to people in our dimension so I guess every human has a weak connection to this realm but people like One, Eleven, etc have a much stronger link ?

I would imagine that they're still performing experiments on one and keep him around for that. As for why he apparently also works there I have no idea

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Andos El Pantos posted:

I would imagine that they're still performing experiments on one and keep him around for that. As for why he apparently also works there I have no idea

Probably one of those things where they kept him captive for years, and then thought that with the implant and years of placidity, they could put him to use around the facility rather than keep constant vigilance.

My IMM with that is why did he need Eleven to remove the implant? Seems like he knew where it was and it was just on the surface, I would imagine he could've removed it physically instead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morpheus posted:

Probably one of those things where they kept him captive for years, and then thought that with the implant and years of placidity, they could put him to use around the facility rather than keep constant vigilance.

My IMM with that is why did he need Eleven to remove the implant? Seems like he knew where it was and it was just on the surface, I would imagine he could've removed it physically instead.

I wouldn't be trusting that motherfucker near sharp objects. Also he'd be very likely to cut something vital if he tried performing surgery on himself, and he's watched closely enough that he wouldn't have time to take time. Eleven, on the other hand, can extract it directly in a matter of seconds.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The previous page is dedicated to the brave mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

tribbledirigible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5N1Aukm4Bo

Bond in Space was my favorite since I was a little kid, but this has been bothering me since I saw it again in my teens. loving dumbshit, controls =/= displays.
Moonraker is very silly and I love it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My Stranger Things S4: How the gently caress can Hopper walk??? Let alone fight like he did in the tool shed.

Panfilo posted:

Bullet to the back of the head seems like the most expedient way to handle the danger, but also more an evil Russian secret lab kinda thing, rather than evil American secret lab. And yes, that inhibitor microchip should have been more deeply implanted, like between some vertebra or inside some bones. And why not put a bunch of chips in him?

My thought is that the upside down was always there, but in a much more ephemeral or formless way, and when El blasted One out of our plane of existence it solidified a copy of our side, thus Nancy's room being frozen at S1 and so on, rather than it being a consistent mirror of our world. That's not to say that upside-down-our-world is all that exists within the Upside Down, I'm thinking its more like a fragment of our world floating around the greater Negative Energy Plane or whatever.

One's ability to reach out and inflict spontaneous boneitis on folks may have to do with him initially being a human, and gifted at that, so he has a latent tie to our realm.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Moonraker for all it's goofy poo poo, just feels low energy to me. View to a kill is the better film just for having more energy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Moonraker for all it's goofy poo poo, just feels low energy to me. View to a kill is the better film just for having more energy

Moonraker is the better film because Jaws gets the girl.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She never had braces.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jedit posted:

:hmmyes:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Last season smh like nobody remembers the college years season

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jedit posted:

:hai:

Also the big space walk fire fight at the end was pretty cool when I was 10.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gaius Marius posted:

She never had braces.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

e: whoops, nipples, avert your eyes if you are sensitive.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Zero_Grade posted:

The previous page is dedicated to the brave mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Moonraker is very silly and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsa082Jgnr4

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

flavor.flv posted:

The first one's not even called Rambo. There's a very good movie about a mentally ill vietnam vet being pushed to his breaking point and killing a bunch of corrupt cops in the woods before being taken down by his own former CO called First Blood, and there's a series about an unstoppable killing machine going to foreign lands and mowing down hundreds of people called Rambo

Rambo's former CO is called Trautman, not First Blood.

And the people Rambo kills aren't called Rambo. They have various Vietnamese and Russian names.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

And the people Rambo kills aren't called Rambo. They have various Vietnamese and Russian names.

Oh hi /r/shittymoviedetails

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I love an ambiguous grammar joke.

Although if they were less ambiguous, more people would get the joke

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 41+42: Why do Sakura and Ino have to fight over who gets to date the emotionally stunted grouch Sasuke, when they could date each other instead?

Unrelated, where can I watch the weekly Boruto now that Crunchyroll put up the paywall?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I saw Tenet and it was irrational and irritating

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I saw Tenet and it was irrational and irritating

Yup. Overrated, muddled, not nearly as clever as it thinks it is and any confusion caused by it is due to poor sound mixing and inept direction rather than it being too complex for the average moviegoer. It was a slightly better than average idea, poorly realised.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just an all around terrible movie

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Frankly Nolan should've called it quits after Inception. Everything since has been frustrating to watch at best.(though I haven't seen Dunkirk)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I admire the Grandiosity of his ambition, but he's letting his plots get in the way of themselves too much lately. Tenet is supposed to be his Bond, but it's got a plot that ties itself in knots. It should be simple

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Breetai posted:

Frankly Nolan should've called it quits after Inception. Everything since has been frustrating to watch at best.(though I haven't seen Dunkirk)

His name is Christopher

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Morpheus posted:

Stranger Things isn't accurate because there isn't one guy who is looking over their spells and abilities for like five minutes whenever it rollsa around to his turn, trying to figure out what the most optimal thing to do in the moment would be, completely obliterating the pacing of the battle.

Oh, I just learned why 12 yo me wasn’t invited back for d&d. it wasn’t until watching Community that I understood it was supposed to be a rules-based improv game, not a math competition.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Remulak posted:

Oh, I just learned why 12 yo me wasn’t invited back for d&d. it wasn’t until watching Community that I understood it was supposed to be a rules-based improv game, not a math competition.

I mean min-maxing is fine just do it on your own time

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Armacham posted:

I mean min-maxing is fine just do it on your own time

Yeah I play with a guy who in a previous campaign had specced out some legendary poo poo and combination of abilities that, when used in concert, could almost obliterate a demigod. But his actions were programmed into a dice roller, he knew what he wanted to do when his turn came up and twenty seconds later the thing he was attacking was (probably) dead and it was the next persons turn.

Conversely I also play with someone who has a rogue that never knows if they want to try to backstab something, or maybe they could stay at range and try to attack with a bow, though maybe it'd be better to activate a healing ability before doing that, or maybe a bonus action dodge could work here, or...Ugh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

oldpainless posted:

His name is Christopher

Mode like Old Nameless!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Breetai posted:

Yup. Overrated, muddled, not nearly as clever as it thinks it is and any confusion caused by it is due to poor sound mixing and inept direction rather than it being too complex for the average moviegoer. It was a slightly better than average idea, poorly realised.

Is it overrated? I've literally never seen a positive review of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is it overrated? I've literally never seen a positive review of it.

Irrationally irritating movie review moments: everything is either overrated or underrated to the average person, when in fact they’re almost never either.