Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Safety too I suppose. Like PRNDL on transmissions for example. It would probably help electric cars if all manufacturers adopted *at least* the same size/style charging plug. If not standardized charge rates though I suppose they aren't really "safety things".

Late, but my tangentially related safety pet peeve is Chevy vehicles that acknowledge the remote lock by having the brake AND REVERSE lights illuminate for a period of time. Not flash, but loving stay on.

Love to be in a parking lot and have to wonder whether a vehicle might back out any second or if it is actually off and unoccupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

No, Apple has openly fought standards for years. This goes back to when they pushed Firewire over USB, believing Firewire would win out (it was superior than USB at the time, but USB was more widely adopted).

USB-C was already being pushed as a standard by the USB group, Apple made their own connector for no other reason than uniqueness, they could've used USB Micro like everyone else without issue. It was just more of Apple locking you into their own ecosystem. Even more, Apple refused to allow others to license the connector design they used, basically ensuring that Apple's design couldn't be widely adopted.

Thank God in heaven they went to lightning and not USB micro. I welcome the day everything is USB-C. Hate micro but have some really great speakers and other things that just work that still use it so will probably have to deal with it for years to come. At this point there has to be a billion lightning cables easily so on one hand you are going to make all of those go in the trash eventually.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I just had a flashback to serial and parallel ports and broke out in a cold sweat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

everdave posted:

Thank God in heaven they went to lightning and not USB micro. I welcome the day everything is USB-C. Hate micro but have some really great speakers and other things that just work that still use it so will probably have to deal with it for years to come. At this point there has to be a billion lightning cables easily so on one hand you are going to make all of those go in the trash eventually.

Lightning is being steadily replaced by Thunderbolt which fully adapted the USB-C standard connector wise, which is why Apple started introducing USB-C/Thunderbolt only for both devices and charging on the Macs.

That's part of the whole "Why use a proprietary connector" for Lightning issue: Apple already jumped on the USB-C boat fully, they've only held out on their phones. Even the new Ipads are using USB-C. USB-C also is now offering more things than Lightning like higher charging output (240 watts in the new standard)

Apple went off making its own standards completely at odds with every other standard in the world and it makes zero sense. Remember the 30 pin connectors for Ipods? Lightning is gonna go the same way. Lightning was entirely about getting licensing money from third parties vs USB. They didn't innovate anything by doing this.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 9, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I opened my new work phone and the cord was USB-C on one side and Lightning on the other. What a stupid cable to give me. Why not just USB C on both ends! They were so close o making the phone more compatible with everything else I own, yet they managed to be worse by making my old apple chargers useless too.

Edit: when I heard the news yesterday my immediate thought was thank heavens a government stepped in because there was no way this was ever going to resolve itself. They shouldn't have allowed the exception the first time.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Lightning is symmetrical and lacks a fragile inner tongue. USB-C offers only one of those features.

I’m all for standardizing on a plug, and am fine with it being USB-C, but acting like Lightning offered nothing innovative over Mini/Micro USB is disingenuous.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I had to build a fleet-based tablet solution using Android tablets with microUSB and every single one of the tablets' connectors broke within the first three months. We had to build custom cases with toughened connector shrouds, it was diabolical

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
#1, Usb-C is a dumpster fire of different standards wrapped under 1 connector. #2 Lighting was far, FAR superior to micro USB. Yes, it only exists now to allow Apple to make money licensing it, but it’s still a good, reversible design and it’s still easier to clean out than a usb-c socket when it gets packed with lint.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frank Dillinger posted:

#1, Usb-C is a dumpster fire of different standards wrapped under 1 connector. #2 Lighting was far, FAR superior to micro USB. Yes, it only exists now to allow Apple to make money licensing it, but it’s still a good, reversible design and it’s still easier to clean out than a usb-c socket when it gets packed with lint.

Not disagreeing there, but Apple doesn't design good things to improve the world, they do so to wring money out of it which is why it'll never be adopted.

If Apple had open sourced these connectors, we'd probably all use them. They shot themselves in the food with a perfectly good design in order to lock people into an ecosystem. As bad as USB-C's connector is, its a connector anyone can use with minimal licensing issues, if any at all.

televiper posted:

I’m all for standardizing on a plug, and am fine with it being USB-C, but acting like Lightning offered nothing innovative over Mini/Micro USB is disingenuous.

That's not what I was saying? The connectors ARE better mechanically. But from a licensing perspective they are near impossible to adopt with ease. USB-C does not have such constraints and while that introduces problems, it also makes it more adoptable.

Data Graham posted:

Also I had to build a fleet-based tablet solution using Android tablets with microUSB and every single one of the tablets' connectors broke within the first three months. We had to build custom cases with toughened connector shrouds, it was diabolical

Yep, Micro USB was a dumpster fire. Even with its flaws, USB-C is massively better.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I just had a flashback to serial and parallel ports and broke out in a cold sweat.

Got to make sure those different devices are not using the same IRQ channels across that parallel bus else that 486 ain't going to know its math co processor from it on die cache.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The comments about making a single standard connector (which I agree with!) reminds me of this:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Late, but my tangentially related safety pet peeve is Chevy vehicles that acknowledge the remote lock by having the brake AND REVERSE lights illuminate for a period of time. Not flash, but loving stay on.

Love to be in a parking lot and have to wonder whether a vehicle might back out any second or if it is actually off and unoccupied.

That is so god drat annoying. How much time is wasted in parking lots because someone thinks a GM vehicle is about to back out of a parking space in the next few seconds but in reality the vehicle has only been unlocked.

Parallel ports and serial ports are awesome. All connectors should have little screw locks that let you hang the attached device off its cord.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah but do you guys remember mini usb? That was even worse garbage!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cage posted:

A vs B?

Micro was what REALLY sucked, the tongue was so easy to snap off.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CommieGIR posted:

A vs B?

Whatever was on garmin gps at the time (mini b) was the worst trash. Those ports failed like crazy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Uthor posted:

The comments about making a single standard connector (which I agree with!) reminds me of this:

I forget how many different standards HDMI cables now have but at least the plug is the same shape. :v: It's a fun game trying to figure out if they'll actually work depending on what era each device is from though when you fire it all up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

God, I'd forgotten about micro b 3. What was that even for?

Anyway, the problem with standards like this is the result always comes down to what gets adopted , as opposed to what's actually best. Like, javascript isn't ubiquitous because it's a great general purpose language.

USB-C isn't perfect, and lord knows the rollout was a mess, but it's still a step forward that could have gone a lot worse.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 9, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Never used one personally but it's similar to this HDMI/control cable setup on an older Cisco video conference setup I've got sat next to me at work. Check this loving monstrosity, good luck finding a replacement!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lake of Methane posted:

It appears the Teslatruck will also have a dipshit wheel

https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1534032881789583365?s=20

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I had a Samsung Galaxy S5 (I think) that had that connecter. I hated it as it was really finicky to plug in and I could hardly ever get it blind.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

televiper posted:

Lightning is symmetrical and lacks a fragile inner tongue. USB-C offers only one of those features.

For some reason my iPhone in 2014 kept arcing the connector and burning up my cables. That was not cool. I have had a low opinion of them ever since.

https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/fixing-lightning-cables-with-black-marks/16073

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigPaddy posted:

Got to make sure those different devices are not using the same IRQ channels across that parallel bus else that 486 ain't going to know its math co processor from it on die cache.

Jesus Christ, NWS that poo poo.

Cage posted:

It was a lot easier to see which way it was supposed to go, at least. My brand-new Viofo dashcam still uses it.

CommieGIR posted:

A vs B?

Never really understood why they had A and B. Just make the cord A on both ends...
That image is also missing the full-sized type B 3.0, with the extra bit at the top.

The problem I've seen with USB-C is that some manufacturers (I'm looking at you, Dell) don't make the socket robust enough. That is, they don't beef up the mechanical connection to the motherboard, and the piece of poo poo breaks loose - and of course they put the socket directly on the motherboard, rather than a nice little easily replaceable sub-board. Dell ups the ante by making their USB-C dock connector king-sized (because they wanted to be clever and put a power indicator on the cable end) and making the cable super stiff. I've only had to have few of our company laptops fixed because of this, but that surprised the tech who was doing the repairs, saying he had replaced a *lot* of system boards due to the USB-C socket coming loose. That was on the Latitude 7380 and 7390, 5 and 4 years old now, respectively. They only had the one USB-C, so if it broke, no more dock for you. At least those still had the old-school Dell power socket, so you could still charge. The subsequent models ditched that, but added another USB-C (on the opposite side, which can be useful.) They also seem to be a bit more robustly mounted. So far, anyway.
Apple seems to make them hardy enough, and the MacBook Pros have 4, just in case. I do like being able to charge from any of them, on the most convenient side. And yes, to confirm, USB-C charging still works fine on the MagSafe models. I've never bothered to use one of the MagSafes on my imaging bench, just still using the USB-C (which works for all of our current laptops.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Anyway, the problem with standards like this is the result always comes down to what gets adopted , as opposed to what's actually best. Like, javascript isn't ubiquitous because it's a great general purpose language.

USB-C isn't perfect, and lord knows the rollout was a mess, but it's still a step forward that could have gone a lot worse.

External USB-powered hard drives that used a laptop drive. I have several.

edit: they're slim and didn't have room for the full-sized 3.0

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darchangel posted:

Never really understood why they had A and B. Just make the cord A on both ends...

A is for the host, B is for the device. USB was purposefully designed so you couldn't just buy an A to A and plug one computer into the other. That's why printers always have those chunky Type B connectors.

USB-C built in some auto-negotiating smarts, but you run into weird situations where, e.g., your phone might try to charge your laptop if the phone thinks it should be the host.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 9, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I forget how many different standards HDMI cables now have but at least the plug is the same shape. :v: It's a fun game trying to figure out if they'll actually work depending on what era each device is from though when you fire it all up.

My TV and stereo are more than a decade old and I have no desire to update either because I don't want to buy new cables.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1534941481500295168?s=21&t=m6WQwa3fAJagp3vzM-gZDg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Between this and tech talent fleeing after Musk's "You must be in the office 40 hours a week" push, good luck Tesla.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Tesla stock reacting completely as suspected when something goes horribly wrong

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

full self-driving is just a few years away :downs:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

full self-driving is just a few years away :downs:

Next year*!

*n+1 where n is the current year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7oZ-AQszEI

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nidhg00670000 posted:

*whips out ST225 and IDE cards, slams them into the same motherboard, next to a serial/parallel card nestled next to a Soundblaster that also has a Mitsumi CD-ROM controller*

Ask yourself... Do I feel lucky?

Darchangel posted:

It was a lot easier to see which way it was supposed to go, at least. My brand-new Viofo dashcam still uses it.

Same with my dashcam (also Viofo, but hardly new at this point). I wound up getting a hardwire kit that uses a micro cable, then a micro to mini adapter at the camera end.

I haven't checked to see if the adapter carries data yet - if it does, that will come in very handy if I need to show video to anyone. My head unit has a ~7" screen, and can handle video files over USB.

You'd think I would have tested that by now.... :downs: Maybe tomorrow.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

Standardization is good. We need to have common, open and enforced standards.

E: while we're at it, standardize all food and drink containers, too. I don't give a poo poo about Coca-Cola and their "unique bottle design". They're selling soda, so they can use The Standard Carbonated Beverage Bottle.

Car makers can't even standardise which side the indicator stalk is on or whether you push the gear stick forward or pull it back to change down a gear (or before that where reverse should go in manual and what sort of lockout to use on it)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dissss posted:

Car makers can't even standardise which side the indicator stalk

Like, for turn signals? I've never been in a car where it isn't on the left side.

You press the one in my BMW to signal a turn and it pops back to center. You half press it (either direction) to stop the signal. Everyone but me hates it, I think it feels like a motorcycle turn signal!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's a RHD thing - European brands (or UK market models from Asian brands) generally have the indicator stalk on the left side, Japanese or Korean brands generally have it on the right hand side.

As an example I have a Sonata and a Japanese Leaf - both on the right. My father has an Ioniq EV which was built to UK specs so it has the stalk on the left.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dissss posted:

It's a RHD thing - European brands (or UK market models from Asian brands) generally have the indicator stalk on the left side, Japanese or Korean brands generally have it on the right hand side.

Ah! I always wondered that when watching Top Gear.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

A is for the host, B is for the device. USB was purposefully designed so you couldn't just buy an A to A and plug one computer into the other. That's why printers always have those chunky Type B connectors.

USB-C built in some auto-negotiating smarts, but you run into weird situations where, e.g., your phone might try to charge your laptop if the phone thinks it should be the host.

That makes sense, thanks.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

As an example I have a Sonata and a Japanese Leaf - both on the right. My father has an Ioniq EV which was built to UK specs so it has the stalk on the left.

Fun times when we started getting diesel Legacy's. Petrol ones came with it on the right, diesels on the left cos UK spec.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Fun times when we started getting diesel Legacy's. Petrol ones came with it on the right, diesels on the left cos UK spec.

Yeah it's happened with Toyota (diesel Corolla and Rav4), Honda (Euro Civic hatch) and Hyundai (Ioniq EV and I think the i40) at various times.

Holden and Ford are all over the place too but you kind of expect it with them given their general laziness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

honda whisperer posted:

Lol this was basically the start of "American gods"

A road head crash is literally the start of Army of the Dead's zombie outbreak.

um excuse me posted:

I'm frankly conflicted. When major manufacturers started making electric models they all looked like regular cars. Cars look the way they do to fit in the box that powertrain layouts have forced them into. You completely remove those boundaries with electric drivetrains. You can do whatever you want with them and everyone just tried to keep the status quo. Congrats to Tesla understanding that a car does not need to look like a car in many respects, but Jesus can we use a little common sense?

TLDR: Do electric cars different, no, not that way!

They used to do this and everyone mocked electric cars as being weird hippie toys no one wanted to be caught dead in. About the only thing Tesla deserves any credit for is going out of their way to make electric cars the cool new future thing.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah before Tesla every EV was some budget optimized "city car" garbage with a 20 mile range and some stupid shape that you wouldn't be caught dead in unless you were already a die hard EV zealot. Obviously they didn't sell and the car industry just shrugged and went "there's no market for EVs".

Then Tesla came along and showed that you can make a high performance EV with good range that doesn't look like poo poo and people are willing to pay for it.

It's funny how they have completely squandered the huge lead they had by trying to cram all of Musk's harebrained ideas into the cars instead of working to make them better where it matters.