Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SubG posted:

Out of curiosity, what currently does count as a "big deal" by this standard?

None of the things that I personally think are a big deal--climate change, police violence, trans rights, access to health care, access to legal abortion, response to COVID, and so on--do not, as near as I can tell, pass the litmus test you're proposing.

I listed in the very next post what actions the Democrats could have taken to convince me they believe it is a big deal.

Those other issues I absolutely believe the Democrats also do not consider those to be a big deal. The difference that makes me believe them to be a big deal is their material impact on the people, an aspect Jan 6 utterly lacks from my perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

Things that could have convinced me that Jan. 6 was a big deal:

-taking immediate action on the day of
They did take immediate action. They came back in that night and finished the vote count. Subsequent investigations showed that Trump was hoping the actions of the mob would delay this vote count and allow more time for him to throw doubt on the results. They then impeached him a second time within the week, which is the only action allowed by the Constitution to deal with a rogue president. If you wanted them to perform a coup, I think you're getting firmly into Cool Zone territory, especially when at the time they had no idea which parts of the government they could trust, given that Trump had been appointing several people in charge of national security on the basis that they would be loyal to him, and as commander-in-chief, he was commander in chief of the armed forces until 25th'd, impeached and convicted, or dead until noon on Jan. 20th.

quote:

-purging/punishing the negligent actions of the police involved
That, I believe, is still being investigated.

quote:

-directing the DoJ to skullfuck Donald Trump
The president trying to influence the attorney general to investigate his political enemies was one of the reasons Trump was impeached. The Dems also didn't have control of the DOJ until Biden was inaugurated on Jan 20, arguably until March 10th when Garland was confirmed.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

how many people have been indicted for sedition in each case?

I hope you are correct, but I would not put it past some state legislatures to start threatening suppliers of the drugs they deem to be bad.

No your initial hunch was correct

quote:

But pharmacists are particularly concerned about S.B. 4, a law restricting the distribution of medication that can be used for abortions. S.B. 4 added two medications to the category of “abortion-inducing drug” in Texas law: misoprostol and methotrexate. (Previously, the category only named mifepristone, the so-called abortion pill, which blocks progesterone, the hormone that supports the pregnancy.)

The law requires anyone who dispenses these medications for the purpose of inducing an abortion to complete a variety of tasks, including independently verifying the existence of a pregnancy and documenting how far along the pregnancy is—jobs that pharmacists do not perform. And unlike S.B. 8, which carries the risk of a potentially ruinous lawsuit, S.B. 4 threatens clinicians who violate the law with a felony charge.

Pharmacists likely wouldn’t be penalized under this law for filling standard prescriptions from OB-GYNs, because the Texas law makes exceptions for the situations outlined by the doctors above. The category of “abortion-inducing drug” explicitly excludes medication “that may be known to cause an abortion but is prescribed, dispensed, or administered for other medical reasons”—such as, perhaps, misoprostol prescribed for an IUD insertion. Another statute clarifies that a medical intervention is not an abortion if it is performed with the intent to complete a miscarriage or treat an ectopic pregnancy.

But the laws can be difficult to parse, and pharmacists are clearly worried that there’s nothing to stop an overzealous prosecutor or lawsuit-wielding citizen from initiating a lengthy, expensive legal battle, even if a pharmacy worker did nothing wrong.

“The average pharmacist—they’re not a lawyer. They’re just going, ‘Hey, if there’s a law that says I can be arrested for giving this, I’m not going to give it,’ ” said Charlie Brown, a maternal-fetal medicine physician who recently retired from UT Southwestern Medical School.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/05/abortion-texas-pharmacies-refusing-prescriptions-misoprostol-methotrexate.html

Tl:Dr , It’s not outright banned but the extra regulations and liability surrounding it are likely to reduce pharmacists willing to dispense it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I listed in the very next post what actions the Democrats could have taken to convince me they believe it is a big deal.

Those other issues I absolutely believe the Democrats also do not consider those to be a big deal. The difference that makes me believe them to be a big deal is their material impact on the people, an aspect Jan 6 utterly lacks from my perspective

I think we're likely to hear from several democrats that DO consider it a big deal and some who did at the time who legit believed their lives were in danger. And they most certainly were. Whether the party as a whole decides to do anything about it is a different thing and I wish the people I typically vote for would grow some loving balls but, again, I expect to hear from quite a few members of the party describe in detail why the whole thing should have been taken more seriously and dealt with more forcefully.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Oracle posted:

They did take immediate action. They came back in that night and finished the vote count. Subsequent investigations showed that Trump was hoping the actions of the mob would delay this vote count and allow more time for him to throw doubt on the results. They then impeached him a second time within the week, which is the only action allowed by the Constitution to deal with a rogue president. If you wanted them to perform a coup, I think you're getting firmly into Cool Zone territory, especially when at the time they had no idea which parts of the government they could trust, given that Trump had been appointing several people in charge of national security on the basis that they would be loyal to him, and as commander-in-chief, he was commander in chief of the armed forces until 25th'd, impeached and convicted, or dead until noon on Jan. 20th.

That, I believe, is still being investigated.

The president trying to influence the attorney general to investigate his political enemies was one of the reasons Trump was impeached. The Dems also didn't have control of the DOJ until Biden was inaugurated on Jan 20, arguably until March 10th when Garland was confirmed.

They gave the police a shitload more money. They behaved as though nothing happened the day of. And because they chose to do nothing about trump, he is heavy odds on favorite to win the next election if he runs.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1534994603652300800?s=21&t=tHu6IH_lAJjdnx0hjv-paw

Nothing to see here, just the Treasury Secretary ask Michael “how much could a banana cost? Ten dollars?”

This is a huge disconnect between the people on power and the rest of us. So many people are living paycheck to paycheck and can’t afford an emergency, but there have been jobs gains so it’s all fine. The price of food, gas, and housing are going up (and I believe that good and housing aren’t factored into inflation) but there have been job gains so it’s fine.

Why is everyone so pessimistic when so many more people have gotten jobs*?!

*let’s just ignore how unemployment numbers are massaged to hell and back to appear more favorable than it actually is thereby creating an alternate reality that the democrats place way too much importance on

Edit: forgot to add that she says that gas prices aren’t going to go down anytime soon. She’s got one of the answers in front of her but doesn’t make the connection
This is some Baghdad Bob levels of delusional coming from Yellen. Holy moly.

Can't wait* to see those numbers tomorrow!

(*I, in fact, can wait and don't want to actually see them.)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

You could argue about why it's dumb instead of deconstructing the existence of what a disagreement is. Yes, two people have different perspectives that make them disagree.

Personally I think historical precedent shows that the response so far hasn't been enough. Legal and illegal paths to power are being left open for the perpetrators and history says that fascists will try again and become more successful if you do that. They only need to be lucky once.

Except the person I'm responding to was very much acting like there weren't two different perspectives, so that the only disagreement could be about whether to take it seriously. And I have to explain why their argument necessarily implies that otherwise I'll be accused of not responding to what was actually argued.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That's not what I asked. I asked what issues are a big deal by that measure?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Except the person I'm responding to was very much acting like there weren't two different perspectives, so that the only disagreement could be about whether to take it seriously. And I have to explain why their argument necessarily implies that otherwise I'll be accused of not responding to what was actually argued.

Uh, I have been explaining my perspective and reasoning for disbelieving the severity of Jan 6. I fully accept others disagree, I'm just explaining why I find that unpersuasive

SubG posted:

That's not what I asked. I asked what issues are a big deal by that measure?

this is answered in the second half of that very post

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 10, 2022

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

For reference on timing, it took the Warren Commission about 11 months to issue its report. It was nearly 3 years after the fact until the 9/11 Commission report was issued. I know this risks some edgy response of “lol the government didn’t care about those things either” but in the real world poo poo taking time is the rule and not the exception.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

this is answered in the second half of that very post
The second half of that post is "Those other issues I absolutely believe the Democrats also do not consider those to be a big deal. The difference that makes me believe them to be a big deal is their material impact on the people, an aspect Jan 6 utterly lacks from my perspective".

That doesn't answer the question. The question is: what does past the test? You're just agreeing that there are other things that don't. What are things that are a "big deal" per the Democrats' actions?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SubG posted:

The second half of that post is "Those other issues I absolutely believe the Democrats also do not consider those to be a big deal. The difference that makes me believe them to be a big deal is their material impact on the people, an aspect Jan 6 utterly lacks from my perspective".

That doesn't answer the question. The question is: what does past the test? You're just agreeing that there are other things that don't. What are things that are a "big deal" per the Democrats' actions?

Ah, my apologies, I misunderstood. Funding the police, giving money to Ukraine, protecting the SCOTUS from the slightest discomfort, reelecting incumbents are things the Democrats consider to be profoundly important.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ah, my apologies, I misunderstood. Funding the police, giving money to Ukraine, protecting the SCOTUS from the slightest discomfort, reelecting incumbents are things the Democrats consider to be profoundly important.
And are those things that you think are also profoundly important as a result of the Democrats' position on the subject?

Because you're presenting the Democrats' position as some sort of metric for evaluating whether or not January 6th is a "big deal". Why? As near as I can tell you're not trying to argue that you use the Democrats' legislative priorities to decide if poo poo's a "big deal" in general or, apparently, literally anywhere else. So why does it suddenly matter with respect to January 6th?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Abner Assington posted:

This is some Baghdad Bob levels of delusional coming from Yellen. Holy moly.

Can't wait* to see those numbers tomorrow!

(*I, in fact, can wait and don't want to actually see them.)

This is a very excellent economy if you already have the basketball on the rim of the basket and just need to tip it in. People with the degrees and skills and other advantages can basically work anywhere right now.

Other people... Hell is other people.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is a very excellent economy if you already have the basketball on the rim of the basket and just need to tip it in. People with the degrees and skills and other advantages can basically work anywhere right now.

Other people... Hell is other people.

I mean, in general, yeah, maybe. I’m a multiple degree haver and just got laid off, so YMMV. Feels like a lot of companies are gearing up for a recession.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Abner Assington posted:

I mean, in general, yeah, maybe. I’m a multiple degree haver and just got laid off, so YMMV. Feels like a lot of companies are gearing up for a recession.

Elon Musk is, so if it actually happens it’s just pure chance plus the Fed raising rates.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SubG posted:

And are those things that you think are also profoundly important as a result of the Democrats' position on the subject?

Because you're presenting the Democrats' position as some sort of metric for evaluating whether or not January 6th is a "big deal". Why? As near as I can tell you're not trying to argue that you use the Democrats' legislative priorities to decide if poo poo's a "big deal" in general or, apparently, literally anywhere else. So why does it suddenly matter with respect to January 6th?

Look, if you think I'm lying just say I'm lying, stop doing this bad faith gotcha poo poo

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Oracle posted:

It isn't political corruption to prosecute a criminal.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bel Shazar posted:

It isn't political corruption to prosecute a criminal.

It is a very dangerous precedent and was exactly what Trump was attempting to do with all the Hunter Biden Ukraine stuff and trying to get Comey to go along with his nutty bullshit. Weaponizing the Justice Department to go after your political enemies is just another ten steps down the road to tinpot dictatorsville. Appointing an independent investigator is the correct call but the Republicans put the kibosh to that pretty quick.
This whole thing is just really showing what a flimsy incomplete document the constitution has become. It was just never built for these ‘the call is coming from inside the house’ situations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you know what it looks like when an insurrection is being taken seriously by American politicians. in a prominent case we both remember, it involved American soldiers being sent into a city to kill every man between twelve and eighty, with a justification in its entirety of 'try and stop us, bitch.' Fallujah was something democrats thought was an insurrection, and something they gleefully endorsed drowning in blood and gunfire rather than risk it growing further.

1/6, by comparison, received the same reaction as 'president did sex crimes.' sure, its the kind of thing that leadership would prefer not happen, because brushing it under the table is a slower and uglier process than they'd like, but call it a deal-breaker and you will be laughed out of the room at best.

a party that wanted to wield power could have used 1/6 as a justification to consolidate it and force its agenda through. it has been two years of a democratic trifecta. you know the modern democratic party has neither the will, nor an agenda to push through if they did. if they don't want to lift a finger to protect themselves, why should anyone else.

It would be very weird to see the killing of mercenaries in Fallujah a year after the invasion of Iraq as an insurrection against the American government, and I can't find any contemporary sources describing it as such.

It's also not clear that Democratic decision-makers played any role in determining the US military's specific actions in Fallujah, given that the Republicans held the government trifecta in 2004, with healthy GOP majorities in both the House and Senate backing up President Bush.

I'm not saying this is bunk, but I can't find anything backing it. And in general, comparing an Iraq War counter-insurgency purge to anything in domestic US politics feels rather ridiculous. What's next, saying they should have done a My Lai massacre against Republicans if they really cared?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Look, if you think I'm lying just say I'm lying, stop doing this bad faith gotcha poo poo
I'm not trying to imply you're lying and trying to engage with your argument at face value isn't bad faith gotcha poo poo. You're the one that brought up the Democrats' reaction to Jan. 6th and implied that it was why you think that Jan. 6th wasn't a "big deal". But we apparently both agree that, for example, the Democrats' response to other issues--climate change, trans rights, Roe, and so on--aren't a good way to evaluate whether or not those issues are a "big deal". So why do it with Jan. 6th? What's different about Jan. 6th that makes it an issue where you look to the response of the Democratic Party to figure out whether or not it's a "big deal" when we seem to agree that that's not a good approach on other issues?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Oracle posted:

It is a very dangerous precedent and was exactly what Trump was attempting to do with all the Hunter Biden Ukraine stuff and trying to get Comey to go along with his nutty bullshit. Weaponizing the Justice Department to go after your political enemies is just another ten steps down the road to tinpot dictatorsville. Appointing an independent investigator is the correct call but the Republicans put the kibosh to that pretty quick.
This whole thing is just really showing what a flimsy incomplete document the constitution has become. It was just never built for these ‘the call is coming from inside the house’ situations.

To me this seems to run into an obvious problem of "You can't just arrest the wealthy and well connected for their obvious malfeasance! That means you are attacking your political enemies!". It sounds like an excuse to return to the idea of private law amd to essentially not bother to try and hold those wealthy enough to a set standard.

I'm certain that it is not meant in that manner, but too much of this seems like something that needs root and stem changes, not going "oh well".

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Uh, I have been explaining my perspective and reasoning for disbelieving the severity of Jan 6. I fully accept others disagree, I'm just explaining why I find that unpersuasive

Emphasis mine. You're saying two different things in these two posts. In the first, you're talking about what you think the Democrats believe, and in the second, you're talking about what you believe.

You're basing your opinion on January 6th on what Democrats are doing, but people are pointing out that you probably don't base your opinion on whether other things are a big deal on what Democrats think or do.

Your initial claim:
[quote="A big flaming stink" post="524051754"]
Jayxon, I'm straight up skeptical of the severity of Jan 6. Maybe it is a big deal, but the behavior of the Democrats is not consistent with that being so. If the Democrats are behaving as though it is merely fundraising fodder, and that is consistent with my intuition, why shouldn't I come to that conclusion?
[/quote

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

When your polticial enemies try to subvert your nation at some point you have to do something to them. You can argue this isn't that or we haven't yet crossed the Rubican if you like but "can't ever prosecute your political enemies" does have a logical end point.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

You're missing two things, but especially that there is a clearly second variable in (every one of) his post(s). That variable is his personal judgment. The second thing that you are missing is that the relationship of the Democrats to 1/6 that is reaffirming (not causing) his doubt is their relationship to the crime: They are supposed to be the victims of 1/6.

So in his setup, there are four options:

1) His personal judgment is that it's not a big deal, and the victim (the Democrats) doesn't act like it's a big deal. (This is what he is saying is the current case. In this case, both his judgment and the behavior of the party are aligned - which he views as support for his original judgment, not a cause.)
2) His personal judgment is that it's not a big deal, but the Democrats do act like it was a big deal. (In this case he would need to re-evaluate and decide whether the evidence from the Democrats was more valid than his own judgment)
2) His personal judgment is that it is a big deal, but the Democrats aren't acting like it's a big deal (Same as above)
3) His personal judgment is that it is a big deal, and the Democrats do act like it's a big deal (In this case, both his expectation and the Democrats behavior are aligned, which would add support to his personal opinion.)

In all of these cases, the latter variable is clearly not the one that is sufficient to set the opinion on it's own, but is just being used as a factor when determining the first variable.

You even quote two of his posts where he clearly lays out that there are two factors, not one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The real lol and probably true answer is that the Democrats do think it's a big deal, but they're personally and institutionally incapable of actually acting like it, since all of their principles and political education are against doing anything that might mean enforcing consequences for the powerful or making their opposition feel bad.

They literally don't know how to do anything with cops but praise them and give them more money, or how to treat right-wing rioters as anything but rambunctious but well-meaning little rascals who just need a time-out and a sippy cup til they cool down. (Left wing rioters, of course, they can't call for the machine guns fast enough) At best, they can only punish the powerless and least relevant while giving an apology and tip of the hat to the ringleaders.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Oracle posted:

I'm trying to find the headspace to think prosecuting a criminal is a worse precedent than NOT prosecuting them and while I get what you are trying to say, making a slippery slope argument in the face of actual treason and other high crimes and misdemeanors is, quite simply, illogical.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What would the response have been like if it was BLM protesters at the capitol? What happened to Occupy Wall Street?

Start there and apply, like, 10% of the same response. Nobody gave a gently caress when those people were getting black bagged or their leaders straight murdered. How many lanyard class assholes were wringing their hands about the collapse of society when that happened?

Wait, no, sorry, I guess I'm wrong. They were wringing their hands about the collapse of society because a loving trash can was burning but I didn't mean that I meant because of the suffering of people.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

What would the response have been like if it was BLM protesters at the capitol? What happened to Occupy Wall Street?

Start there and apply, like, 10% of the same response. Nobody gave a gently caress when those people were getting black bagged or their leaders straight murdered. How many lanyard class assholes were wringing their hands about the collapse of society when that happened?

Wait, no, sorry, I guess I'm wrong. They were wringing their hands about the collapse of society because a loving trash can was burning but I didn't mean that I meant because of the suffering of people.

There would have been rivers of blood if this was a BLM protest.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
These numbers are not good. March was not the peak. Initial quick scanning is telling me everything is accelerating. June is on track to be worse.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1535238107729211393?t=LONaV9ZKCeGrAGMrbnl7gg&s=19

This is very, very bad.
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1535239254317703169?t=GBWS6A-fYoMUpmTpOFxEWQ&s=19

This is the highest inflstion print since 1981.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 10, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

These numbers are not good. March was not the peak. Initial quick scanning is telling me everything is accelerating. June is on track to be worse.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1535238107729211393?t=LONaV9ZKCeGrAGMrbnl7gg&s=19

This is very, very bad.
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1535239254317703169?t=GBWS6A-fYoMUpmTpOFxEWQ&s=19

Capitalists haven't been fleecing the country this bad since the 1980 election

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Here's the video from 1/6 that they showed last night featuring previously unseen footage. It looks to me like it was, in fact, a fairly big deal no matter what Democrats seem to think.

Look at all these Antifa plants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_O91gyj9o

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

This is very, very bad.

This will capture the attention of the commoners, not 1/6 hearings.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been corrected enough here to realize that January 6 was only one of many coup attempts (and actual coups) of the right-wing, only characterized by it's open violence against lawmakers and the president supporting that. So it IS huge, but there are so many huge things that constantly just happen in America due to Republicans that are met with ambivalence by almost anyone who isn't a Republican.

Honestly, the most useful takeway is simpy taking it as another example and confirmation of what Republican supporters are and what they can be easily driven towards to, and use this to work towards the understanding that they are and remain the biggest obstacle to left-wing goals, be it electorally or in a glorious revolution on the streets. And I would stop wasting my time in trying to appeal to their better natures or material needs and start fighting fire with fire, be I a political representative or just a random leftist. And if I don't believe that politics will solve the issue, actually prepare for the revolution.

But like said, ambivalence, from the leftest leftist to the shitlibs, nobody is ultimately treating it like they're supposed to treat it. Maybe the anti-fascists are, but they're famously not very good beyond local quick response organizing and eschew political engagement so that's not really good except with poo poo hitting the fan. Still if poo poo hits the fan due to the near-universal ambivalence definitely look for them.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 10, 2022

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

bird food bathtub posted:

We know what would happen if BLM showed up that day. Guards in guns and body armor four layers deep, like what happened when they protested at the Lincoln Memorial.

But Republicans are the only legitimate political actors in the United States and get to do whatever they want, so the Capitol Police showed up largely weaponless and in plain uniforms. And of course, when things got worse, none of the security forces run by the executive-branch were willing to provide backup, because Donald Trump wanted the entire legislative branch to be torn apart by a violent mob.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

You're missing two things, but especially that there is a clearly second variable in (every one of) his post(s). That variable is his personal judgment. The second thing that you are missing is that the relationship of the Democrats to 1/6 that is reaffirming (not causing) his doubt is their relationship to the crime: They are supposed to be the victims of 1/6.

So in his setup, there are four options:

1) His personal judgment is that it's not a big deal, and the victim (the Democrats) doesn't act like it's a big deal. (This is what he is saying is the current case. In this case, both his judgment and the behavior of the party are aligned - which he views as support for his original judgment, not a cause.)
2) His personal judgment is that it's not a big deal, but the Democrats do act like it was a big deal. (In this case he would need to re-evaluate and decide whether the evidence from the Democrats was more valid than his own judgment)
2) His personal judgment is that it is a big deal, but the Democrats aren't acting like it's a big deal (Same as above)
3) His personal judgment is that it is a big deal, and the Democrats do act like it's a big deal (In this case, both his expectation and the Democrats behavior are aligned, which would add support to his personal opinion.)

In all of these cases, the latter variable is clearly not the one that is sufficient to set the opinion on it's own, but is just being used as a factor when determining the first variable.

You even quote two of his posts where he clearly lays out that there are two factors, not one.

This is more of a general point but “X doesn’t act like a victim” is actually a flawed trope to rely upon though. First, it assumes that the audience is capable of putting itself in the position of the victim, which is dubious. And second it assumes the audience and the victim even act/speak in the same way in general, which is demonstrably false when you compare the most cursed board on a dead comedy website to a Congressional Committee.

As for whether the hearing moves the needle for the country, a lot of people will tune in and as we see from the TVIV thread, plenty of lurkers chimes in to say it’s a powerful reminder. So subjectively it works for others even though it won’t for all D&D posters. In terms of “engagement” personally it seems more difficult to me to get the reaction of X number of lurkers posting than it does for a megathread regular to make X number of posts.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Mr Hootington posted:

This is very, very bad.

The chorus of the capital class declaring recession as inevitable is about to get a lot louder.

LegendaryFrog fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 10, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

LegendaryFrog posted:

The chorus of the capital class declaring recession as inevitable is about to get a louder louder.

They were only saying recession was possible beginning in H1 2023. This print has shift the narrative completely to recession is now inevitable and a volcker shock must happen in June. There is legit freakouts about this print happening. It is pretty funny.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

"I'm shocked and appalled that the bubble I've propagated for decades is about to burst. Nevertheless, there is no other way." ~ some big brained finance idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Nucleic Acids posted:

This will capture the attention of the commoners, not 1/6 hearings.

I am not sure what you are getting at here but, at someone who is watching economic news and not the 1/6 hearings, why is this bad? I assume the 1/6 hearings will show that a bunch of armed people invaded the capital at the behest of (and with the help of) Trump. So what will paying attention to the hearing get me? Hours of "you are a bad man, sir!" and a few details?