Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

deoju posted:

I googled that dude because I was curious 6'8", 250lbs. For reference Chara is 6'9" 256.

He's also got a fun party trick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95tktHa1lwc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

.Spec posted:

The Athletic had a good Sharks mailbag article that went over a the Kane scenarios quite a bit and buried in there was this nugget.

And don't get me wrong, Kane sucks so hard he could pull the moon out of the sky, but if that's true that's a hell of a smart move. Makes me want to know what other guys with limited NTCs put on their list.

Isn't that how Kessel ended up at Pittsburgh? He filled his trade list with teams that were in the division that Toronto was never going to trade with and the Penguins.

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 10, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jagged Jim posted:

Isn't that how Kessel ended up at Pittsburgh? He filled his trade list with teams that were in the division that Toronto was never going to trade with and the Penguins.

IDK about that, but that's how he ended up in Arizona. Phil put all the competitive teams in the east plus the rest of the Metro and then had Arizona as his last one since he'd be ok with going there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised Phil didn't ask to get traded to Vegas given how much he loves gambling

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Speaking of Phil, apologies for barstool link but this is a good story

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1534908676200275968?s=21&t=6FgIyjPlMtBIySxGPCa7XQ

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1535320634993127426

sabres have more cap space available than they do committed salary for next season. they're probably going to be making a few more of these moves in the coming weeks

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

whatis posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1535320634993127426

sabres have more cap space available than they do committed salary for next season. they're probably going to be making a few more of these moves in the coming weeks

Can you move dead cap space in a trade? Asking for a friend who has about 14m they might want to move.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Also, the Sabres are going to be retiring Ryan Miller's number
https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1535303404490309639

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

whatis posted:

Also, the Sabres are going to be retiring Ryan Miller's number
https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1535303404490309639

I mean I like Ryan Miller but jersey retirement? Do the Sabres not have a level of excellent type thing where he gets his number on the wall but it's not taken out of circulation? This smacks of wanting to remind folks of the better days and it's not like they could go with Drury or Briere.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I mean I like Ryan Miller but jersey retirement? Do the Sabres not have a level of excellent type thing where he gets his number on the wall but it's not taken out of circulation? This smacks of wanting to remind folks of the better days and it's not like they could go with Drury or Briere.
Miller seems fine at that level.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

This feels a little weird but I don't hate it as a way to free up cash in the face of the Benn/Seguin boat anchors.

Unless they turn around and do something like sign Kane, in which case: lol, Dallas

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

Miller is way more of a franchise guy than Drury or Briere.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

buffalo's criteria for jersey retirement is definitely weaker than many other orgs. for example, danny gare and pat lafontaine's numbers are retired and definitely shouldn't be. but i don't particularly mind miller's jersey retirement because he was the team's de facto captain from 2006 through the end of his tenure with the sabres, and he was heavily involved in community and charity orgs during his time in buffalo. if his number was getting retired for his on-ice play alone i think it would be stupid, but that combined with his off-the-ice stuff makes it a much more compelling case IMO.

the cupboards are also pretty barren as far as future retirements are concerned unless someone currently rostered blooms into a legit top 5 player in the league over the next decade

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
That seems a bit...light. I'm a fan of guys getting their #s retired, and we have Adam Graves's number retired, but I think you at least gotta do like 10-15 years with Cup runs and/or Cup wins. Even on those 05/06 and 06/07 teams that made the Finals, he wasn't unquestionably The Guy like Price/Lundqvist. Maybe more akin to Luongo in 2011 as the 3rd best guy on a good team, but Luongo is a for sure HOFer as well.

e:

quote:

he was heavily involved in community and charity orgs during his time in buffalo.

that makes a lot of sense. that helped Graves a bunch with the Rangers.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Miller is a way better player than Graves ever was

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Maybe more akin to Luongo in 2011 as the 3rd best guy on a good team, but Luongo is a for sure HOFer as well.

Luongo was huge in the community and I don't think there's any expectation he'll have his number retired

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Luongo was huge in the community and I don't think there's any expectation he'll have his number retired

It’s one of those things where you should basically be a franchise player I think. Luongo was in Vancouver yeah, but he has a lot of other connections in his career. Now if you’re talking Sedins that would be a different conversation. Luongo played in Florida for longer than Vancouver.

Ryan Miller in Buffalo kind of fits in the “why?” category for me too. Seems odd considering.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The cool thing about a team retiring a player's numbers is that it happens and then no one ever thinks about it again until you remember the Wild retired a number for the fans.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Twin Cinema posted:

The cool thing about a team retiring a player's numbers is that it happens and then no one ever thinks about it again until you remember the Wild retired a number for the fans.

dont forget the kraken

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's gonna be a serious problem in a couple hundred years when they run out of numbers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Twin Cinema posted:

I try to forget that one.

The Koivu one made some sense. Franchise player drafted by the team. Past that I can’t think of anyone that would fit the bill. Maybe Kaprizov in 15 years if they can back up a big enough money truck.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
as long as im safe from colorado posters in this thread, ill just say it;
the avs retiring bourque's numbers is weird. the dude played for them for 2 years
same for neidermeyer and the ducks

these are my jersey retirement hot takes
(retire 91 you cowards)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'd rather see numbers honored than retired but, given that's not going to happen:

whatis posted:

buffalo's criteria for jersey retirement is definitely weaker than many other orgs. for example, danny gare and pat lafontaine's numbers are retired and definitely shouldn't be. but i don't particularly mind miller's jersey retirement because he was the team's de facto captain from 2006 through the end of his tenure with the sabres, and he was heavily involved in community and charity orgs during his time in buffalo. if his number was getting retired for his on-ice play alone i think it would be stupid, but that combined with his off-the-ice stuff makes it a much more compelling case IMO.

the cupboards are also pretty barren as far as future retirements are concerned unless someone currently rostered blooms into a legit top 5 player in the league over the next decade

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

That seems a bit...light. I'm a fan of guys getting their #s retired, and we have Adam Graves's number retired, but I think you at least gotta do like 10-15 years with Cup runs and/or Cup wins.

e:

that makes a lot of sense. that helped Graves a bunch with the Rangers.

Yeah, there are going to be as many franchises who don't go on big runs like you described as those that do. Columbus just retired their first number (61) and, though Rick Nash wasn't around for any of the fairly recent success the team has had (though he would've been on the 2018-19 Tampa sweep team had he come back) and it can be argued his departure was the catalyst that started righting the ship, he was the first true star the franchise had.

Couple that with what he did while he was in Columbus like the Rocket, Olympic Gold (which wasn't local, but featured prominently in his ceremony), his influence on hockey in Columbus (Sean Kuraly looked up to him and got to play with him in Boston), and the charitable work he did, which gained NHL recognition in 2008-09 (something like a $100k athletic scholarship to OSU), it makes sense.

Much like Buffalo, you can only make an argument for a handful of other players right now- :cop: for his two Vezinas, maybe someone like Nick Foligno or Cam Atkinson for Nash-like reasons, maybe Laine if he sticks around and rips poo poo up leading to success.

e- I guess you could also make the argument that Nash's retirement would be even more appropriate after the fact if he gets into the HoF; whether or not he does is another discussion for another day, but I've seen it suggested.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 10, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If the Leafs ever win another Cup, they should retire 19 and 67 for the fans.

e: also for Robert Svehla, who at age 34 had the single best overall season for a Leafs D since uhhhh I don't know a while, and then promptly hosed off.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 10, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't think people can overstate how good and cool a person Ryan Miller was off the ice and he definitely deserves it for everything he has done. Like, he basically dedicated most of his offseasons/free time to doing good things for people.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

eXXon posted:

e: also for Robert Svehla, who at age 34 had the single best overall season for a Leafs D since uhhhh I don't know a while, and then promptly hosed off.

God drat there’s a name i forgot about

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Kupo! posted:

This feels a little weird but I don't hate it as a way to free up cash in the face of the Benn/Seguin boat anchors.

Unless they turn around and do something like sign Kane, in which case: lol, Dallas

some people are looking at it as the Stars freeing up cap space in order to be able to respond to a potential Jason Robertson or Jake Oettinger offer sheet..

I don't think that would ever happen cause the Stars haven't done anything to piss of Carolina's owner recently, but I guess there are some legitimate reasons to move out that LTIR cap hit that aren't just "we can pay more money to free agents now"

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

eXXon posted:

If the Leafs ever win another Cup, they should retire 19 and 67 for the fans.

I remember hearing about the weirdness around Svehla on the Leafs a long time ago, and I just looked it up to remind myself.

The Leafs lured him out of retirement. He wanted a future scouting position and for the Panthers to enter a financial relationship with his form Sloavakian club, which they denied. So the Leafs traded for his rights after he retired and entered that relationship with his former club. After the season, Svehla then joined that club as vice-president in charge of junior player's development.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Starsfan posted:

potential Jason Robertson or Jake Oettinger offer sheet..

Well that’s a horrifying concept, thanks for the nightmares. I had forgotten that offer sheets were a thing. What a way to kneecap the Stars if either of those guys walked.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens only have Lemieux and Michel Briere's numbers retired. Briere died in a car crash which is why his is retired.

Jagr's will be if he ever stops playing hockey. Malkin and Crosby are obviously both slam dunk picks there. I think Letang's probably also will be. Fleury I'm not sure about. He's beloved enough by Penguins fans that it may happen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

I mean, to be fair he is the best goalie in Buffalo Sabres history.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Like look at who else has been on the Sabres, who else are they gonna do?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Kupo! posted:

Well that’s a horrifying concept, thanks for the nightmares. I had forgotten that offer sheets were a thing. What a way to kneecap the Stars if either of those guys walked.

good news, they're more likely to be struck by lightning

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Today (as in two minutes ago when I was looking up the league as a whole) I learned David Ayres is now a head coach in the SPHL:

quote:

Ayres made his coaching debut as part of the Southern Professional Hockey League’s Vermilion County Bobcats on April 7, 2022 against the Evansville Thunderbolts at the Ford Center.[21]

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Red Wings have a bunch of numbers that need to be retired, once the Ilitch family can get over being mad at Sergei.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens only have Lemieux and Michel Briere's numbers retired. Briere died in a car crash which is why his is retired.

Jagr's will be if he ever stops playing hockey. Malkin and Crosby are obviously both slam dunk picks there. I think Letang's probably also will be. Fleury I'm not sure about. He's beloved enough by Penguins fans that it may happen.

MAF will 1000% have his number retired by the Pens

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

players need to start wearing 0 and 00 again imo

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

yellowcar posted:

players goalies need to start wearing 0 and 00 again imo

Also I read they made Marty Biron stop wearing 00 because it hosed with the score keeping program. :lol:

Giguere should have his number retired in Anaheim. The cup plus his god-mode play in 03 should be enough.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

clean ayers act posted:

as long as im safe from colorado posters in this thread, ill just say it;
the avs retiring bourque's numbers is weird. the dude played for them for 2 years

I think they did it just to rub Boston's nose in it, which was pretty funny until Boston won a cup again.

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, to be fair he is the best goalie in Buffalo Sabres history.

Hasek?

Simplex fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

MAF will 1000% have his number retired by the Pens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6cmqUTPn08&t=124s