Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:raise:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Now break that down by population density.

e:

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm referring specifically to Huey calling out St Louis.
Oh, pardon me. I got too used to having that other conversation for 30 years. :tipshat:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 10, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Now break that down by population density.

I'm referring specifically to Huey calling out St Louis.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

Wait, Bets is supposed to have a million followers on Instagram? Posting selfies of herself with confused surprised people? Have the Evans ever actually looked at Instagram?

She posts selfies AND steps on things barefoot

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Aragones really likes shadow gags huh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure those are all from the same MAD double page centered specifically around the shadow gag.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm pretty sure those are all from the same MAD double page centered specifically around the shadow gag.

Yeah, and the set before this was martial arts gags.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

I've never seen a gas stove(or any stove, for that matter) with that feature, although it makes sense(assuming its thresholds for "nothing on it" and "over a certain temperature" aren't annoyingly tight, as shown by Qrais :v:).
We have an induction range that will only turn on if there is a magnetic pot on it.

That's not exactly the same as a weight sensor but I really like that the burner turns off shortly after you remove a pan so there is little danger of leaving a burner on.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

And Katie kills herself!

Do you mean Kadia?

Her too!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

WE KNOW MOZ

YOU TOLD US ALREADY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

this is the one. i have to get the Maryls collection now.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

rannum posted:

WE KNOW MOZ

YOU TOLD US ALREADY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

You know how sometimes a series is cut short, so they have to rush the rest? It feels like that happened, but then the storyline got uncanceled somehow and the writer decided to go back and tell it again, but this time in full.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Wooof what a week. It's late, but it's always very present, it's Ballard Street

:3:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hooray For Tax-Deductible Business Nepotism!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm having trouble believing anyone working at a grocery store ever dressed like that.

I had to wear a regular tie when I worked at one grocery store. These guys look like they should be parking cars at a fancy restaurant.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Some Guy TT posted:

I seem to be the only person who likes Big Nate, and this is why. I don't think we're supposed to see him sympathetically. I think we're supposed to see him as kind of a dick who's always getting what's coming to him. But my sense of nostalgia might be tinted. I'm too young to have read Calvin and Hobbes in actual newspapers, and Big Nate was the closest equivalent.

I don't think it's unclear that we're supposed to see him as a dick, it's just that Peirce forgot to include any of the endearing or redeeming qualities that (e.g.) Calvin has. There's no sense that he's got a strong imagination or a curious mind, no flashes of love for the people he does care for, nothing--he's just an abrasive jerk who mocks everyone around him, and is also an incompetent oaf on his own merits. Then later in the run Peirce gives him this awful, smug take-to-camera face that just makes things worse!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^C&H actually suffers from the same problem a bit I'd argue. Calvin is a selfish little jerk to everybody in his life, including the one friend willing to spend any time at all with him and it can make him hard to like at times. I just think Watterson's artistic chops and clever/insightful writing help people overlook these issues where it's harder to do with BN. It's also helped by the adults reacting more appropriately to Calvin's actions whereas in Big Nate people just kind of roll their eyes and let whatever Nate did slide.

And yeah, those little flashes of good traits (like that time he lost Hobbes at the zoo and freaked out over it) really help Calvin stay endearing and relatable rather than obnoxious.

Big Nate Year 1 (May 17-18, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Aug 2, 1953)

Solid gag. I approve.

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 27-28, 1991)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 11, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Plans get set in motion, or O'Bannion gets upset at Hickok, or Pearl works the room

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

Hooray For Tax-Deductible Business Nepotism!

How is Rudy not spilling his drink all over himself.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It was already empty, he's just suctioning it to his face. Everyone does it. Yes, even you, don't lie to me.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

TegneHanne

Pondus

Yeah, a big part of my job is to stop kids from eating and drinking stuff they shouldn't. It can also be really frustrating. Like, I had spent a morning make tom kha gai for the kids and then had to watch the kids that didn't want to eat it drink muddy waters afterwards.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Are we sure Sarah isn't writing this storyline?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: germany.png (44/1937)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

https://i.imgur.com/bq3NTep.mp4

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: germany.png (44/1937)

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 16, 1951)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I like Sonny

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

I like Sonny

Secret pinniped spotted

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

^^^C&H actually suffers from the same problem a bit I'd argue. Calvin is a selfish little jerk to everybody in his life, including the one friend willing to spend any time at all with him and it can make him hard to like at times. I just think Watterson's artistic chops and clever/insightful writing help people overlook these issues where it's harder to do with BN. It's also helped by the adults reacting more appropriately to Calvin's actions whereas in Big Nate people just kind of roll their eyes and let whatever Nate did slide.

And yeah, those little flashes of good traits (like that time he lost Hobbes at the zoo and freaked out over it) really help Calvin stay endearing and relatable rather than obnoxious.

In general, Calvin is a jerk in a 'six year old that doesn't really know any better' sort of way, like the strips below where he wrecks the house. Nate is middle school age so he just comes off more as self-centered, I think.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

It also probably helps a lot that Hobbes makes fun of Calvin all the time in a way that often genuinely frustrates him, his parents frequently make him do stuff he doesn't want to, Susie outsmarts him a lot, and when he does egregious stuff he usually ends the story punished for it and visibly upset about it. Calvin 'loses' a lot onscreen, in ways beyond people just going 'awww that jerk' or rolling their eyes at him or similar things that he can happily ignore or brush off.

Also, of course, I read C&H first and as a child myself and therefore have decades of rose-tinted glasses.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
To make up for skipping last night's drop-off, here's a fistful of vintage Mark Trail in handy radio form.

Internet Archive posted:

On January 30, 1950, Mutual Broadcasting System launched a radio adaptation, Mark Trail, featuring Matt Crowley in the title role. The 30-minute episodes aired three times weekly, and 174 episodes were produced, running until June 8, 1951. A second radio series, starring Staats Cotsworth, was broadcast on ABC beginning September 18, 1950, with 51 half-hour shows that ran thrice weekly until January, 1952. The series then switched to a 15-minute format, producing 125 episodes that aired weekdays through June 27, 1952. Only a handful of the 15-minute episodes are known to have survived.

The sponsor, Kellogg's Pep, was previously in for the long-haul for the Superman radio series, and their reach for a tagline to match "truth, justice and the American way" gets a bit sweaty in the first episode. Their build-up for Trail ends with "a man whose character combines the well-known qualities of J. Edgar Hoover and Robin Hood", which isn't a combination you'd think of after 1968, but there you are.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (June 14, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

I am shocked...SHOCKED, I tell you...

...that Not-Lisa's biography is so poorly thought out that she had to reach for her father's generation for stories about racist white people, as if she doesn't have anything comparable in her own experience. Maybe systemic oppression skipped a generation in Ohio?

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 11, 1939)

Out Our Way (January 23-25, 1939; timg'd for the usual reasons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (still more Jack Randall edition)