Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

veni veni veni posted:

Is any of that true of the index though? It's been readily available to order for years now, Valve still makes them, the rest of the VR space has seemed to have mostly shifted towards much cheaper HMDs that require less powerful, or no extra hardware.

SteamVR is still largely the runtime everyone uses for PC VR though, even the Epic Store uses SteamVR to launch its VR titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So what’s the recommended hub of choice if I’m looking to buy one (mainly for hdmi output/charging while playing)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

was on the phone earlier and heard it was being called "steam dreck"? is that right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Stux posted:

was on the phone earlier and heard it was being called "steam dreck"? is that right?

You're a treasure. Don't ever give up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think it was a bad idea for Valve to call their handheld the Steam Dreck, as "dreck" implies a negative thing and may give people a bad impression of their handheld.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stux won

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Deaths door is a perfect steam deck title for anyone looking for a good one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It goes to show that if you try hard enough at something, no matter how stupid that thing is you will succeed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a couple of games that say cloud sync is up to date but then my save files from pc aren’t on the deck. Is there anything I can do about it or am I sol?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I think it was a bad idea for Valve to call their handheld the Steam Dreck, as "dreck" implies a negative thing and may give people a bad impression of their handheld.

they didn’t call it that

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I have a couple of games that say cloud sync is up to date but then my save files from pc aren’t on the deck. Is there anything I can do about it or am I sol?

If you start the game on the Deck, it will offer you a choice of using the local save vs the one in the cloud while showing you timestamps and sizes too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mega64 posted:

:imunfunny:

veni veni veni posted:

Is any of that true of the index though? It's been readily available to order for years now, Valve still makes them, the rest of the VR space has seemed to have mostly shifted towards much cheaper HMDs that require less powerful, or no extra hardware.

There are several rumors going around right now that Valve is developing a new VR headset code named “Deckard” to compete with the Quest, and they’ve pretty strongly hinted that the Deck is a testbed for that device’s SoC. I don’t suspect they’ll give up on PC-powered HMDs, but a link cable would be a nice compromise.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

njsykora posted:

Historical pattern recognition of Valve hardware, they tend to use their hardware to launch a more widely used piece of software (Steam Link, SteamVR, possibly SteamOS now). If they did do a second gen Steam Deck great but it'd be the first piece of hardware they've ever made a second generation of. Plus any power boost to it would be dependant on AMD's development of their integrated graphics, which isn't generally an area that sees a lot of rapid development as much as I'd love for that to change.

Also the Deck isn't a money maker, Steam is the money maker. Making SteamOS the default OS for handheld PCs means further entrenching Steam as the default storefront for PC games which is what makes Valve money.
Valve made a second generation of their VR headset.

Also the Steam Deck is basically a second generation Steam Machine.

Steam Link and Steam Controller though, yeah, rip.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mega64 posted:

super funny gimmick hahahaha stux shits up thread with lowest effort hahaha lets take that thing thread title hahaha dreck like you know as schmutz hahahaha schmutzig dreckig kackapipipillermann hahahahha

lol

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

a new VR headset code named “Deckard”

That's what I named my Deck. gaben, I'll sell you the rights to the name for cheap.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they didn’t call it that

im seeing here they did in fact call it the steam dreck

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

haldolium posted:

super funny gimmick hahahaha stux shits up thread with lowest effort hahaha lets take that thing thread title hahaha dreck like you know as schmutz hahahaha schmutzig dreckig kackapipipillermann hahahahha

lol

I think this is too long for a thread title

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Valve Steam Deck posted:

I mean the Deck is ALSO basically a second gen Steam Controller, too. The controls clearly take a lot of influence and lessons from the Steam Controller.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

the name is growing on me, but only ironically

Kild posted:

I think this is too long for a thread title

we all got stuxed

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Steam controller lives on with a screen attached as the deck itself.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Steam controller 2 I think was lost the moment it was ruled they'd have to pay royalties for the back paddle things. As a big fan of the Steam controller idk that there is much of a reason to own one now that Steam Input exists, though, so I'm fine with them moving on to other things. And the Deck kinda has one built in so hey it lives on in spirt.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Steam Deck vs Xbox Series S: Can Valve's Portable Match The Entry-Level Next-Gen Console?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Zb8UFLNsY

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the deck is going to be a niche product even if it sells in the low millions

given that it's a loss leader to get people to buy more games, it'll last as long as gaben/management is interested in it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

v1ld posted:

If you start the game on the Deck, it will offer you a choice of using the local save vs the one in the cloud while showing you timestamps and sizes too.

Can you break this down for me?I haven't seen this option and can't find it.

Like, almost all of my games have been good and I've been able to pick up where I left off, but Dead Space 1 and metal gear rising say their are up to date but when I boot them up there is no saves on the deck and I haven't seen the option to choose

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dead Space doesn't support Steam Cloud and Metal Gear Rising: Revengence has semi-broken file handling that might be getting tripped up by Proton.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

haldolium posted:

lol

It's weird that Stux gets probed for the shitposting yet the mods end up huffing it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

sigher posted:

It's weird that Stux gets probed for the shitposting yet the mods end up huffing it.

It's not mods, it's mega64. Watch out he will threadban you if you badmouth anime.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vic posted:

It's not mods, it's mega64. Watch out he will threadban you if you badmouth anime.
Anime is bad and it is good that the Steam Deck cannot play any of the anime you buy from steam if you are foolish enough to do so

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&tags=4085&category1=992

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've had "anime" on my blocked tag block list for so, so long.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
got my steam deck today, went to install some games on it, and immediately realized it's loving pointless to have a pc that doesn't run game pass games in 2022

what's the state of windows on this thing? usable if i boot into steam big picture and cart around a keyboard for anything else?

if it's a no go i'll probably just go ahead and flip it, other than like vampire survivors i think anything else id want to play i'd just play on my switch. all the weird little indie puzzler and adventure games on game pass are available on switch, and if i'm not gonna be able to play them on game pass portably, might as well just buy them on the eshop

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

got my steam deck today, went to install some games on it, and immediately realized it's loving pointless to have a pc that doesn't run game pass games in 2022

what's the state of windows on this thing? usable if i boot into steam big picture and cart around a keyboard for anything else?

if it's a no go i'll probably just go ahead and flip it, other than like vampire survivors i think anything else id want to play i'd just play on my switch. all the weird little indie puzzler and adventure games on game pass are available on switch, and if i'm not gonna be able to play them on game pass portably, might as well just buy them on the eshop

If you have Game Pass Ultimate, Microsoft has a step by step walkthrough on how to get the games streaming on the Deck.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

you can totally install windows on it. you can replace the default steamos or even run it off the microsd

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

man, a "native" version of GP on the deck would be nuts - i mean the current rumor is that silk song is going to be a day 1 release on gamepass

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
emu deck does kinda whip rear end and might be enough to keep me from wiping to windows

of course dual boot would be killer, i know it's something they've said they could potentially support so if they roadmap that for release this year, it might be enough to keep this thing. i'll give microsoft's 27-step guide to installing a microsoft edge shortcut for cloud gaming a shot too

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's like two steps - add edge to the steam library and add some options to the launcher

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

MarcusSA posted:

Steam Deck vs Xbox Series S: Can Valve's Portable Match The Entry-Level Next-Gen Console?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Zb8UFLNsY

I don't get it.

Can a $400+ PC-lite match the performance of a $300 mini-ITX console?

And the answer... no, it can't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

24 hours with this thing and imo it's pretty loving incredible. I'm sort of blown away by it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

emu deck does kinda whip rear end and might be enough to keep me from wiping to windows

of course dual boot would be killer, i know it's something they've said they could potentially support so if they roadmap that for release this year, it might be enough to keep this thing. i'll give microsoft's 27-step guide to installing a microsoft edge shortcut for cloud gaming a shot too

AFAIK you can dual boot windows off the micro sd card now and it should be pretty functional.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So what’s the recommended hub of choice if I’m looking to buy one (mainly for hdmi output/charging while playing)

There are plenty to choose from, but I've recommended this one (which is frequently on sale for around $50) because not only does it do video out and power passthrough, it has two SD slots and an m.2 slot (plus some USB-A ports for peripherals) so you can have plenty of extra storage.

Otherwise, this Amazon one does exactly what you're requesting and nothing more and is only about $14 right now.

veni veni veni posted:

I had an issue with Deep Rock Galactic, which already has a wonky cloud save system (it'll sync your save file from Steam itself but then has a separate in-game saves so you have to manually pick the most up-to-date one and restore it every time you switch PCs) and simply wouldn't find my cloud save and started me over at the beginning. I didn't try it again though.

<---- :razz:

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Yeah as others said the Steam controller tech is now in the Deck (without any royalty payment issues, presumably) and the Link lives on in software form.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone pointed out earlier that the games I mentioned didn't support cloud saves so I think it just is what it is. I've had issues with 3 games and they are all old as gently caress like pre 2012 so not entirely surprising. I could probably try and transfer the saves but I just restarted them, whatever.

The "up to date" icon on the game page is just a little misleading.