Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The Mead post is so loving maddening and the shining example of him being a loving troglodyte ivory tower rear end in a top hat. It's no wonder he can't loving write anything more, he lacks any ability to observe and appreciate the works and experience of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Had to check to make sure this wasn't lottery of babylon

Edit also man, I had no idea he was such a miserable shithead. What a chunk of garbage

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 25, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
He's clearly a well educated person, can write to some level of skill, and yet at no point in his entire life ever developed a speck of self-awareness or reflection about his behavior, and thanks to his books+charity earnings he will probably never have to.

The mead blog post reads like a blog post that has been precision guided to make his fans chortle with laughter, so it's possible that he's not really that dumb he's playing it up for the clicks.

Then you read about how he poured almost $1 million directly into a bespoke gaming table company with financials that would even make the nerdiest of tech bro VCs step back and say it was too risky and ended up losing his entire investment outright and wasn't able to recover literally anything. There are risky investments, and then there's giving over a pile of cash on a handshake agreement and not even having legal protections to recoup some assets in the event of bankruptcy.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

He's clearly a well educated person, can write to some level of skill, and yet at no point in his entire life ever developed a speck of self-awareness or reflection about his behavior, and thanks to his books+charity earnings he will probably never have to.

The mead blog post reads like a blog post that has been precision guided to make his fans chortle with laughter, so it's possible that he's not really that dumb he's playing it up for the clicks.

Then you read about how he poured almost $1 million directly into a bespoke gaming table company with financials that would even make the nerdiest of tech bro VCs step back and say it was too risky and ended up losing his entire investment outright and wasn't able to recover literally anything. There are risky investments, and then there's giving over a pile of cash on a handshake agreement and not even having legal protections to recoup some assets in the event of bankruptcy.

This is the same Rothfuss who came up with that stupid-rear end pointless money-making scheme for Kvothe that I'd probably get a headache trying to explain because while it is dumb and simple it doesn't really make any sense why he even needs to do it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Dear Pat,

I read TNOTW over ten years ago when one of my best friends randomly gifted it to me. The day WMF came out, he bought it and let me borrow it because he knew I’d finish it in a day given my passion for your work.

Since then, I’ve encouraged countless friends, strangers, and acquaintances to seek out your stories. I’ve gone through the intermittent cycles of googling “the doors of stone” hoping I’ll finally get to learn the answers to the many mysteries in your stories. I’ve read the many interesting fan theories posted in this forum over the years, and I’ve speculated with my friends about Denna’s story and the truth about Lanre. I’ve bought your first two books in multiple formats. I still hope I get to read DOS one day.

But I want you to know, even if I never get the pleasure of reading another one of your works, I truly appreciate what you’ve already accomplished. King killer is the finest piece of writing I’ve ever encountered, and I’ve read my fair share of books at this point.

I am sad that so many fans have grown bitter and resentful towards you over the years. I understand their frustration. Your work is incomparable. They are Denner Resin addicts eager for another taste of your lyrical prose and narrative genius.

I truly wish we could, at long last, achieve some sort of rapprochement between Pat and his fans on Reddit. I wish Pat could temper his frustration with his fans’…uhhh… eagerness—it’s his fault, ultimately, for writing something so good that people are still clamoring for more over a decade later. I wish our community could understand that Pat, like all of us, is a human being. And that the ever rising tide of vitriol towards Pat does nothing to advance their cause or the well being of a man whose ideas and creative genius they so obviously admire.

I hope Pat and all of KkC fandom has a happy, healthy, and wonderful summer (assuming you live northern hemisphere). I’ll be back in a few months to read the latest theories and DOS gripes. Until then, cheers!

Sincerely,

A longtime KKC fan and very depressed law student

I like this author, so I'm going to compare his writing to fantasy-heroin that only gives a brief high and utterly wrecks your life because its fundamentally unfulfiling and unnourishing. My grasp of analogy and metaphor is excellent.

Oh gently caress, Denna = Denner.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like this author, so I'm going to compare his writing to fantasy-heroin that only gives a brief high and utterly wrecks your life because its fundamentally unfulfiling and unnourishing. My grasp of analogy and metaphor is excellent.

Oh gently caress, Denna = Denner.

I'm pretty sure he just used it because Kvothe likes comparing people to Denner Addicts. Not a single further thought was put into it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kchama posted:

This is the same Rothfuss who came up with that stupid-rear end pointless money-making scheme for Kvothe that I'd probably get a headache trying to explain because while it is dumb and simple it doesn't really make any sense why he even needs to do it.

That scheme makes absolutely no sense. The setup:

1) Uncle Mayor has agreed to remotely pay Kvothe's tuition every semester.
2) Your tuition goes up if you fail your exams.
3) Kvothe wants to steal from Uncle Mayor because Kvothe is a dick.

Kvothe's agreement with the school bursar:

4) Kvothe will intentionally fail his exams to drive up his own tuition (and thus the amount Uncle Mayor pays).
5) In exchange, the bursar will secretly kickback to Kvothe some of the excess tuition that wouldn't have otherwise be paid.

Which... doesn't actually make any sense. This means the university's coffers are actually receiving less money than they expect to from Kvothe's tuition. Won't the discrepancy be noticed? And if the discrepancy won't be noticed, why does the bursar need to involve Kvothe at all? Why can't the bursar put his fingers in the till without caring what some snot-nosed undergrad's tuition is? Why would Kvothe expect the bursar to agree to this?

The only way this scheme makes sense to me is if the bursar has an absolutely fanatical devolution to the college's profits and wants to maximize those above all else, and is willing to outright steal from the college if it results in the college netting a few more silver sickles than it would otherwise have had. This... does not seem likely to me.

A plan that would have actually made some sense would have been for Kvothe to do well on his exams, but to arrange for the bursar to charge Uncle Mayor as if Kvothe had failed his exams, with Kvothe and the bursar splitting the extra. The university won't notice any discrepancies because it's still receiving as much money as it expects to based on Kvothe's tuition, and Uncle Mayor isn't likely to notice because he lives a very long journey away and the student is in on the scheme and won't tip him off. It would be a bit risky if anyone ever compared Uncle Mayor's books with the University's internal books, but it would theoretically be doable, and would be something the bursar couldn't do without a student's cooperation.

But that wouldn't involve Kvothe doing well by doing poorly, which is clever and subversive and shows how smart the hero and the author and the readers are and also lets him totally dunk on Professor Snape by getting his exam questions wrong, so Rothfuss went with the nonsensical plan instead.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Yep. You nailed it. Like, there's not much more to say. It's meant to make Kvothe look clever but all it does is make Rothfuss look dumb. Which, when it comes to money, he seems to be.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Looking forward to reading about how Rothfuss got hospitalized because he decided that vikings just filled a barrel with water, honey, and some fruit then started drinking the results 6 months later.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Looking forward to reading about how Rothfuss got hospitalized because he decided that vikings just filled a barrel with water, honey, and some fruit then started drinking the results 6 months later.

In Ye Olden Times they didn't know about yeast but they'd have wooden stirring paddles / spoons that would be impregnated with yeast from the previous batch. Anyway, also looking forward to Rothfuss dying from dysentary

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Didn't he also dump rocks, wormwood, and morning glory seeds in the must to make it a magical drug-infused booze?

If he didn't poison himself, he definitely made something that tasted nasty as all hell and no one he subjected it to could say otherwise since I'm sure that 'only positive feedback I am a master of my art' isn't limited to writing.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Dear Pat, I wrote you but still ain't writin'
I left my mail, my twitter, and my handle at the SA forum
I sent two post in AMA reddit, you must not've got 'em
There probably was a problem with some lovely mods or somethin'
Sometimes I scribble some proses, river over rocks when I jot 'em
But anyways, gently caress it, what's been up? Man, how's your Kvothe?
My e-girl's writing too, I'm 'bout to read a fanfic
If I write a saga, guess whose gonna star it?
I'ma name her Denna
I read about your Wyrmwood Gaming too, I'm sorry
I had a friend kill himself over some ape that got stolen
I know you probably hear this every day, but I'm your biggest fan
I even got the beautiful game that you did with Tak
I got a room full of your books and your Cheerios, man
I like the poo poo with Rick & Morty too, that poo poo was fun
Anyways, I hope you get this, man, hit me back
Just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That scheme makes absolutely no sense. The setup:

1) Uncle Mayor has agreed to remotely pay Kvothe's tuition every semester.
2) Your tuition goes up if you fail your exams.
3) Kvothe wants to steal from Uncle Mayor because Kvothe is a dick.

Kvothe's agreement with the school bursar:

4) Kvothe will intentionally fail his exams to drive up his own tuition (and thus the amount Uncle Mayor pays).
5) In exchange, the bursar will secretly kickback to Kvothe some of the excess tuition that wouldn't have otherwise be paid.

Which... doesn't actually make any sense. This means the university's coffers are actually receiving less money than they expect to from Kvothe's tuition. Won't the discrepancy be noticed? And if the discrepancy won't be noticed, why does the bursar need to involve Kvothe at all? Why can't the bursar put his fingers in the till without caring what some snot-nosed undergrad's tuition is? Why would Kvothe expect the bursar to agree to this?

The only way this scheme makes sense to me is if the bursar has an absolutely fanatical devolution to the college's profits and wants to maximize those above all else, and is willing to outright steal from the college if it results in the college netting a few more silver sickles than it would otherwise have had. This... does not seem likely to me.

A plan that would have actually made some sense would have been for Kvothe to do well on his exams, but to arrange for the bursar to charge Uncle Mayor as if Kvothe had failed his exams, with Kvothe and the bursar splitting the extra. The university won't notice any discrepancies because it's still receiving as much money as it expects to based on Kvothe's tuition, and Uncle Mayor isn't likely to notice because he lives a very long journey away and the student is in on the scheme and won't tip him off. It would be a bit risky if anyone ever compared Uncle Mayor's books with the University's internal books, but it would theoretically be doable, and would be something the bursar couldn't do without a student's cooperation.

But that wouldn't involve Kvothe doing well by doing poorly, which is clever and subversive and shows how smart the hero and the author and the readers are and also lets him totally dunk on Professor Snape by getting his exam questions wrong, so Rothfuss went with the nonsensical plan instead.

It makes sense if you think of it as an interaction between a PC and an NPC in a D&D campaign that hinges on a successful Charisma check rather than sensical reasoning between two human beings with their own personal interests

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

For a supposed master manipulator one would think Uncle Mayor is the one guy you do not steal from, because aside from asking Kvothe to leave after he shot off his mouth like a god drat idiot Uncle Mayor has legitimately had Kvothe's back this entire time and owes his life to Kvothe.

A smarter writer would have used this to set up Kvothe's ego as his downfall, but literally every time Kvothe shoots his mouth off about how great he is he is invaribly proven right.

Also, Rothfuss wrote the Omadon quest in Numenera? Lol if true.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I may be confusing some of the hosed up stuff in Numenara that he didn't write with the hosed up stuff he did.

For anyone who doesn't know, the confirmed Rothfess stuff is the 10 year old female slave who's owner is desperately in love with her, you free her (maybe?) and then the slave child apparently falls in love with the main character? Through some plot contrivances they magically return later in the game as an adult to kiss the player.

I'm paraphrasing and leaving out a lot of context but it's not like it makes it better.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 26, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

For a supposed master manipulator one would think Uncle Mayor is the one guy you do not steal from, because aside from asking Kvothe to leave after he shot off his mouth like a god drat idiot Uncle Mayor has legitimately had Kvothe's back this entire time and owes his life to Kvothe.

A smarter writer would have used this to set up Kvothe's ego as his downfall, but literally every time Kvothe shoots his mouth off about how great he is he is invaribly proven right.

Also, Rothfuss wrote the Omadon quest in Numenera? Lol if true.

A lot of the people Kvothe scams are people who are on his side. Though some of this is because for some reason him scamming them brings them to his side after he reveals how brilliant his scam his to them.

Also that entire side trip, and thus literally all of book 2, was a quest to pay his student tuition, which is why he was exiled for a semester and then was exiled back to school when his first exile was up.

This is also why the pirate adventure was skipped, because it didn't have anything to do with him paying his tuition.

The fact that this (once) super beloved fantasy series is entirely about paying college tuition is depressing.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The skipped pirate adventure was just there so Samus would lose her missiles and morph ball and varia suit and she would have to spend the next big section of the game exploring and regaining all her equipment and maybe some new skills to boot

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kchama posted:

The fact that this (once) super beloved fantasy series is entirely about paying college tuition is depressing.

The real fantasy is affordable tuition.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kchama posted:

A lot of the people Kvothe scams are people who are on his side.

My favorite example of this is when Kvothe's current D&D party, who he's become close friends with, loot the stolen taxes from the bandits. He suggests they each take a coin from the taxes for themselves... and then secretly takes six more coins for himself, effectively robbing his "friends" of more than half their share of the spoils.

He has a steady gig with the richest man in the world at that point, there's literally no reason to rob his friends except he's a complete rear end in a top hat.

(but remember, the real true Edema Ruh like Kvothe would never ever steal)

Kchama posted:

Also that entire side trip, and thus literally all of book 2, was a quest to pay his student tuition, which is why he was exiled for a semester and then was exiled back to school when his first exile was up.

Strictly speaking his exile was because he'd just had a high-profile trial by the inquisitors for Doing Magicks Wickedly (which Rothfuss skipped over writing), and the professors "suggested" he take a leave of absence to give people a few months to forget so Wizard College and the Witch-Hunting Inqusition could go back to inexplicably forgetting each other's existence.

...but also yes it was for tuition.

Kchama posted:

This is also why the pirate adventure was skipped, because it didn't have anything to do with him paying his tuition.

Kvothe just didn't want to admit that he escaped from the pirates by admitting he was an orphan.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

My favorite example of this is when Kvothe's current D&D party, who he's become close friends with, loot the stolen taxes from the bandits. He suggests they each take a coin from the taxes for themselves... and then secretly takes six more coins for himself, effectively robbing his "friends" of more than half their share of the spoils.

He has a steady gig with the richest man in the world at that point, there's literally no reason to rob his friends except he's a complete rear end in a top hat.

Strictly speaking his exile was because he'd just had a high-profile trial by the inquisitors for Doing Magicks Wickedly (which Rothfuss skipped over writing), and the professors "suggested" he take a leave of absence to give people a few months to forget so Wizard College and the Witch-Hunting Inqusition could go back to inexplicably forgetting each other's existence.

...but also yes it was for tuition.

Kvothe just didn't want to admit that he escaped from the pirates by admitting he was an orphan.

Did you say often?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

That was even the reason he killed the fake Edema Ruh, which he could tell were fake Edema Ruh because they stole, but also Edema Ruh who steal should be horrifically murdered!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

. . . wow I guess I'd swapped it in my head because I legit remembered this was the plan and not the bad one that's actually in the books. As I read the actual description I said to myself, wait, that's not right, it wasn't that dumb. I haven't read it in a long time, but even now I guess I'm giving Rothfuss more credit than he's due.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It's funny that Kvothe gets so enraged about people thinking the not-romani are a bunch of lying cheats, then spends two books lying and cheating his way through the problems he encounters.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Galvanik posted:

It's funny that Kvothe gets so enraged about people thinking the not-romani are a bunch of lying cheats, then spends two books lying and cheating his way through the problems he encounters.

I don't think at any point does anyone ever question it, not even Bast. It uh, also comes off as a little racist which is ironic because you can clearly tell how Rothfuss was trying for not-racist points with them.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 12, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wheetabix? Seriously?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

of course he owns a sword he just leans on the wall.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

lol, someone has discovered the relaxing properties of substances

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

In 2012, Rothfuss sold three other books to his publisher, DAW.[23] He has discussed a standalone novel, centered on a legendary figure in the world, with the working title The Tale of Laniel Young-Again.[24] The project was two-thirds complete when it was shelved to focus on The Doors of Stone.[25][26]

Wait hold on, he was going to work on other novels while his main one was completely unwritten? Also of course it isn't going to be finished either.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Kchama posted:

Wait hold on, he was going to work on other novels while his main one was completely unwritten? Also of course it isn't going to be finished either.

An infinite chain of back burnered books until the world economy is just paying Patrick Rothfuss not to write.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

porfiria posted:

An infinite chain of back burnered books until the world economy is just paying Patrick Rothfuss not to write.

To state the obvious: the dude is full of it.

He still hasn't released the FIRST CHAPTER of TDoS because it isn't ready. Never mind the fact that he grifted a shitload of people to donate to some cause for it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hughmoris posted:

To state the obvious: the dude is full of it.

He still hasn't released the FIRST CHAPTER of TDoS because it isn't ready. Never mind the fact that he grifted a shitload of people to donate to some cause for it.

Yet his prose is perfect and not a valid target for criticism.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I searched every mention of 'moon' or 'moonlight' in KKC and I found out... nothing, really. (self.KingkillerChronicle)

submitted 6 days ago * by chainsawx72

I searched for every 'moon' in the text so I could try to find anything revealing. I started to count how many times 'moon' is there, but I got to over 100 before counting even one book. We know the moon has a cycle of 72 1/3 days (but a calendar month is 44 days for some reason) which is fascinating and unexplained. We are told Iax stole part of the moon's name, so it's trapped moving from mortal sky to fae. When the moon is full, fae can enter the mortal realm easily. When the moon is dark it is in the faen realm, and men can enter the faen realm easily. Haliax is pictured under full moon, half moon, and crescent moon, and darkening the moon is listed as a possible Chandrian sign in children's stories. There is no moon during Kote's story to Chronicler perhaps setting up sending someone to the fae or another realm, and a full moon at the Blac of Drossen Tor giving the fae army the strength to cross over into the mortal realm. There was a sliver of moon when Kvothe showed Denna the Selas flowers, and again in the fae with Felurian (full moon in the mortal realm), and a few times with Auri because she only comes out when there's 'not much moon'. All of the dozens of other moon and moonlight references don't specify which moon phase. Auri gives Kvothe a key in case there is a door in the moon.

I'm fascinated by how often the moon is used in reference to Felurian (lovely as the moon), Denna (also lovely as the moon), and Auri (Kvothe's little moon fae, and she says that she is.... lovely as the moon). It could mean one of them is 'the moon' or that all three are. All three of them are encountered typically at night. Denna disappears a lot, Diane is one of Denna's names, similar to Diana the moon goddess, who also happens to be part of a triad of moon goddess Diana triformis. The moon, the moonlight, and comparisons to the moon, heavily applied to many meetings between Kvothe and these women could be clues they are the moon, one of them is the moon, or it could just be misdirection to hide the true moon's nature. I kept thinking that maybe each of them was only out during a certain moon phase, but both Denna and Auri are with Kvothe when there is just a sliver of moon, and most other mentions of the moon don't specify what moon phase it is. I ran into the same problem trying to determine if Denna was only around during certain moon phases, most of the time we just aren't told, despite the many moon references. I guess it is possible one girl could be the waning moon, one the waxing moon, and Felurian of course the full moon, but it would fit better if they fit the scheme of Haliax's depiction of full, half, and sliver moon phases.

Of course, there is evidence also to refute any of that theory. Denna seems to have been studying music for a very short time, and Auri studied (presumably recently) under Master Mandrag... it would be odd for 5,000 year old women to just happen to be undertaking a new hobby as general as 'music' or 'university education'. Auri and Felurian both refer to the moon in third person, implying they aren't her. Personally, I think all of the moon references with these women is intentional misdirection, but that there is an actual woman who represents 'the moon' that Iax stole.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The moon moving from the mortal realm to the land of the fae is the one cool bit of fantasy folklore I think Rothfuss has managed.

Who did he nick it from?

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
"Kvothe's little moon fae"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Big fan of "Rothfuss uses the same generic simile to describe three different female characters, therefore maybe they're the same person?? Obviously this has deep lore implications and is not just Everyone's Favorite Fantasy Prosesmith being a boring hack."

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The moon moving from the mortal realm to the land of the fae is the one cool bit of fantasy folklore I think Rothfuss has managed.

Who did he nick it from?

It's just a generic mythology thing. Greek mythology has something similar.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
New month.

Write the book, Fatrick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he really shouldn't