Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

fast cars loose anus posted:

The ones that have actually shocked me when I went to the grocery store were the cheese slices (seriously 5 bucks for kraft singles????) and the fact that eggs have skyrocketed. I had always counted on eggs being available as a super cheap source of protein if everything else inflated to the moon but nope, 18 large eggs is nearly 5 bucks now. I know bird flu has something to do with this but its just lovely that that's happening at the time that other meats are going up.

random thoughts while at the grocery today:

* lovely, fatty lamb chops that used to be $3.99/lb tops are now $7.99
:wtf: pass

* the whole wheat bread that used to be $2.99 is now $4.99

* green peppers at $1.79/lb seems high for this time of year; jalapenos are cheaper & taste better

* the corner store near me charges $5.99 for ben & jerry's. The grocery is charging $7.99. I went with the store brand choco mint for $3.50

* the only larger size of matzo meal was gluten-free, and $10/can. :wtf: pass

* except for the green peppers the produce was cheap, like $.99 iceberg lettuce & $1.29 broccoli crowns cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Also the NY Times put out a "Biden might not be able to stand for re-election in 2024" article and in it was this

hahahaha gently caress that guy

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

The ones that have actually shocked me when I went to the grocery store were the cheese slices (seriously 5 bucks for kraft singles????) and the fact that eggs have skyrocketed. I had always counted on eggs being available as a super cheap source of protein if everything else inflated to the moon but nope, 18 large eggs is nearly 5 bucks now. I know bird flu has something to do with this but its just lovely that that's happening at the time that other meats are going up.

also this is more than just the last year or so but the quality of the cheapest eggs you can buy has plummeted. Like the 60-flat I get from costco sometimes, the eggs are so thin shelled and the yolks break with the slightest perturbation. I dont know how to factor in decrease in quality into these price comparisons but i think its a big and harder-to-notice type thing happening

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

hekaton posted:

also this is more than just the last year or so but the quality of the cheapest eggs you can buy has plummeted. Like the 60-flat I get from costco sometimes, the eggs are so thin shelled and the yolks break with the slightest perturbation. I dont know how to factor in decrease in quality into these price comparisons but i think its a big and harder-to-notice type thing happening

Yeah that plus shrinkflation, the most notable example that pissed me off lately is that there's this absolute dog poo poo processed beef stick thing I buy from my local store, but for some reason I love em. Two packs for 5 bucks, 14 sticks a pack. Lately I've started counting and I often get 12 sticks per pack now.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Willa Rogers posted:

* green peppers at $1.79/lb seems high for this time of year; jalapenos are cheaper & taste better

* the corner store near me charges $5.99 for ben & jerry's. The grocery is charging $7.99. I went with the store brand choco mint for $3.50

* except for the green peppers the produce was cheap, like $.99 iceberg lettuce & $1.29 broccoli crowns cheap

try switching to malt-o-meal matzo meal

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Wow, good thing we've spent the last three months building a chicken coop.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Also the NY Times put out a "Biden might not be able to stand for re-election in 2024" article and in it was this

Dean isn't wrong though, the up coming generation of politicians are a trash heap, but thats more the party's fault for destroying any young politician with an ounce of free will so they could run more CIA clone troopers

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
He's been a major part of the DNC machine for decades. He has no one to blame but himself

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whoever thought plain american cheese food slices and unseasoned ground chuck was too sad for an american barbecue, please keep your childlike faith

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the white hand posted:

whoever thought plain american cheese food slices and unseasoned ground chuck was too sad for an american barbecue, please keep your childlike faith

i know that jello salad exists and that alone justifies liquidating america

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Green peppers....by the pound?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

the white hand posted:

Look at Hank Hill ovah here!
Hey, switch to charcoal and taste the heat too.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the white hand posted:

yeah the most ridiculous part about that plate was how nicely folded the cheese slices were

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nix Panicus posted:

Dean isn't wrong though, the up coming generation of politicians are a trash heap, but thats more the party's fault for destroying any young politician with an ounce of free will so they could run more CIA clone troopers

Well, importantly, there's also something he needs to be told about his generation of politicians

HootTheOwl posted:

What's weird about this is green bell peppers are per item at my grocery store and red bell peppers are by the pound

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

if onions go up another dollar i am going to become a terrorist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Kai Ryssdal both kept my baby brain asleep and nodding to the liberal world view and accelerated my transition to left wing crank. Once you even begin to suspect that he might actually be full of poo poo his delivery becomes infuriating

I used to listen to this a lot. As terrible as it is, the NPR finance show (Planet Money I think?) is even worse. Or at least was worse way back when I listened to that stuff, which I guess is at least 8-9 years ago, so I don't know how they may have changed post-Trump/Bernie.

IMO it's cool that everything is falling apart and it's only vaguely being acknowledged by broader society/media as "there's some inflation I guess, but the economy is good so it doesn't matter!"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Willa Rogers posted:

broth/stock has shot up as well

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's ok the 2nd amendment ensure americans will never be cucks

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

IMO it's cool that everything is falling apart and it's only vaguely being acknowledged by broader society/media as "there's some inflation I guess, but the economy is good so it doesn't matter!"

Almost all of the people in a position to decide which opinions can get out are in such a comfortable position that food and gas inflation doesn't matter to them, therefore if it matters to you you didn't work hard enough in school

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

I used to listen to this a lot. As terrible as it is, the NPR finance show (Planet Money I think?) is even worse. Or at least was worse way back when I listened to that stuff, which I guess is at least 8-9 years ago, so I don't know how they may have changed post-Trump/Bernie.

hypernormalisation with american characteristics

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

are there even any nationally prominent gen x Democratic politicians?

buttgieg is a millennial

Defective Pikachu
Jun 2, 2022

by Hand Knit

hobbesmaster posted:

buttgieg is a millennial

Sinema

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

how do you buy them, richie rich? by the barrel?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

buttgieg is a millennial

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wikipedia’s definition is “The generation is often defined as people born from 1946 to 1964”
which makes her a boomer by a hair

is the answer and lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gavin Newsom

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Democrats' Gen X bullpen includes Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), former HUD Secretary Julian Castro, Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Sen. Kristen Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), and Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), to name a few. If Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) managed to beat Ted Cruz next year, he'd easily be the most Gen-X Gen Xer in the Senate. Any of these Democrats might run for president, but none are early favorites to win the nomination.

On the Republican side, though, the entire House leadership team is Gen X: Kevin McCarthy, Steve Scalise, Cathy McMorris Rodgers, and Luke Messer were all born between '65 and '80. The youngest member of the House Democratic leadership is Rep. Joseph Crowley (R-N.Y.), the Democratic caucus chairman, born in 1962. The only Gen Xer in Senate leadership, in either party, is Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), the chairman of the Republican Senatorial Committee. This asymmetry is worrisome.

Why? Because the two main political parties being what they are, the best shot for achieving a Gen X America lies in compromise, finding common ground between a vibrant Gen X right and Gen X left. Real compromise used to happen in Washington — say, when Reagan worked with the Democratic-controlled Congress to pass major immigration and tax reform. It has been rarer since the boomers took over Washington in 1995, but it could happen again, if we can move past their decades-old ideological blood feuds.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hekaton posted:

i've noticed that the eggs i buy are getting narrower

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Well, importantly, there's also something he needs to be told about his generation of politicians

What's weird about this is green bell peppers are per item at my grocery store and red bell peppers are by the pound

the green ones are just red ones that are picked early

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Real hurthling! posted:

the green ones are just red ones that are picked early

and taste the same as yellow ones too

Defective Pikachu
Jun 2, 2022

by Hand Knit

Willa Rogers posted:

The Democrats' Gen X bullpen includes Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), former HUD Secretary Julian Castro, Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Sen. Kristen Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), and Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), to name a few. If Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) managed to beat Ted Cruz next year, he'd easily be the most Gen-X Gen Xer in the Senate. Any of these Democrats might run for president, but none are early favorites to win the nomination.

On the Republican side, though, the entire House leadership team is Gen X: Kevin McCarthy, Steve Scalise, Cathy McMorris Rodgers, and Luke Messer were all born between '65 and '80. The youngest member of the House Democratic leadership is Rep. Joseph Crowley (R-N.Y.), the Democratic caucus chairman, born in 1962. The only Gen Xer in Senate leadership, in either party, is Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), the chairman of the Republican Senatorial Committee. This asymmetry is worrisome.

Why? Because the two main political parties being what they are, the best shot for achieving a Gen X America lies in compromise, finding common ground between a vibrant Gen X right and Gen X left. Real compromise used to happen in Washington — say, when Reagan worked with the Democratic-controlled Congress to pass major immigration and tax reform. It has been rarer since the boomers took over Washington in 1995, but it could happen again, if we can move past their decades-old ideological blood feuds.

The true Republican GenX-er, Tucker Carlson

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Wow, good thing we've spent the last three months building a chicken coop.

Best thing I ever did.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Defective Pikachu posted:

The true Republican GenX-er, Tucker Carlson

President Tucker Carlson working with House Speaker James Doore of California and Senate Majority Leader Alexander Jones of Texas.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Willa Rogers posted:

how do you buy them, richie rich? by the barrel?

By the pepper. Never seen them by the pound.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

HootTheOwl posted:

Specifically, by the increasingly small pepper.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Around here theres a lot of peppers, tomatoes, etc that already come in a bag or a box or one of those little styrofoam trays they use for meat and its one (rising) price for the whole container

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

HootTheOwl posted:

buy them by the bushel

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

can't wait to see the formula-parent vote this fall

quote:

The original formula recall announced by the FDA in February did not include the brand we used for our daughter, which made me assume that we would not be affected. As a first-time mom already concerned about keeping her baby safe during the pandemic, I didn’t need another thing to worry about. I thought that the government would step in before families had to go out of their way to find food. We noticed the large empty spaces on shelves at every store but remained optimistic that help would arrive soon. Yet the shelves only grew emptier.

I built a network of moms who would look for my type of formula while I looked for theirs. This is how we made it week by week. My gym became a drop-off place where women traded containers. All of this transpired while my news feed was filled with articles demonstrating how little our politicians seem to care about keeping women and children safe, even alive. The shelves of our cupboard remained empty.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

45 posted:

The Democrats are sending another $40 billion to Ukraine, yet America's parents are struggling to even feed their children. There is a massive formula shortage, but no one is talking about it—it is a national disgrace. It is unthinkable that in the year 2022 American families are unable to get baby formulas for their children. Families whose children have serious allergies and require "elemental" formula are in even more desperate and dire straits. The pain that mothers and fathers are going through who literally cannot get nutrition for their newborns and infants is a mark of eternal shame on the Democrat Party. America First!

He’s running, and he’s going to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe if the dems can convince everyone that the baby formula crisis would be even worse if the republicans were in charge, they can turn it to their advantage