Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Defective Pikachu posted:

remember the TFR guy who asked for advice about the best ammo when hunting large game and then killed someone

anyway,

you know how goons are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

their concerns about cspammers shooting someone are unfortunately valid, because a cspammer did in fact shoot someone. the fact they shot him in the foot (i'm going to be kind and guess they did that deliberately) is beside the point, and it is also to tiny toes' credit that he didn't embark on a revenge spree against goons in response. these are wild times!

that was a USPOL poster who was ran out of D&D and there were extremely obvious warning signs like him getting shot in an altercation already and openly fantasizing multiple times about striking back with a gun while talking at length about how they wished they had retaliated and opened up on the crowd when they were shot for attacking someone with a board

the toe shots were because he ran like 2 blocks away from a scuffle and hastily fired "in self defense" one handed down a street at a crowd and managed to ricochet one bullet into someone's toes

they gravitated toward the C-SPAM coolzone thread because it was the last thread they hadn't been kicked out of on the subject and everywhere else had told them to stop going nuts, so if you think the forums could have somehow prevented his actions then it was a collective failure of about 3 subforums and a half dozen mods and admins before he landed in C-SPAM and had a mental breakdown over the counter protestors he was fist fighting and getting shot by in real life

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Jun 12, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

uspol victim( many such cases )

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

All the lakes are dying

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/climate/salt-lake-city-climate-disaster.html

The long term risks are even worse. One morning in March, Kevin Perry, a professor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Utah, walked out onto land that used to be underwater. He picked at the earth, the color of dried mud, like a beach whose tide went out and never came back.

The soil contains arsenic, antimony, copper, zirconium and other dangerous heavy metals, much of it residue from mining activity in the region. Most of the exposed soil is still protected by a hard crust. But as wind erodes the crust over time, those contaminants become airborne.

Clouds of dust also make it difficult for people to breathe, particularly those with asthma or other respiratory ailments. Dr. Perry pointed to shards of crust that had come apart, lying on the sand like broken china.

“This is a disaster,” Dr. Perry said. “And the consequences for the ecosystem are absolutely, insanely bad.”

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Jun 12, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rectal Death Adept posted:

that was a USPOL poster who was ran out of D&D and there were extremely obvious warning signs like him getting shot in an altercation already and openly fantasizing multiple times about striking back with a gun while talking at length about how they wished they had retaliated and opened up on the crowd when they were shot for attacking someone with a board

the toe shots were because he ran like 2 blocks away from a scuffle and hastily fired "in self defense" one handed down a street at a crowd and managed to ricochet one bullet into someone's toes

they gravitated toward the C-SPAM coolzone thread because it was the last thread they hadn't been kicked out of on the subject and everywhere else had told them to stop going nuts, so if you think the forums could have somehow prevented his actions then it was a collective failure of about 3 subforums and a half dozen mods and admins before he landed in C-SPAM and had a mental breakdown over the counter protestors he was fist fighting and getting shot by in real life

I'm sure if they just deleted that thread and didn't let him post he would have forgotten his fantasies and never shot that poor white supremacist's foot.

It's a lot like that dumb idea that the best way to treat your idiot cousin who wants low taxes is to call him a Nazi and cut ties.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

All the lakes are dying

The long term risks are even worse. One morning in March, Kevin Perry, a professor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Utah, walked out onto land that used to be underwater. He picked at the earth, the color of dried mud, like a beach whose tide went out and never came back.

The soil contains arsenic, antimony, copper, zirconium and other dangerous heavy metals, much of it residue from mining activity in the region. Most of the exposed soil is still protected by a hard crust. But as wind erodes the crust over time, those contaminants become airborne.

Clouds of dust also make it difficult for people to breathe, particularly those with asthma or other respiratory ailments. Dr. Perry pointed to shards of crust that had come apart, lying on the sand like broken china.

“This is a disaster,” Dr. Perry said. “And the consequences for the ecosystem are absolutely, insanely bad.”

n95 outdoors too, then

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm sure if they just deleted that thread and didn't let him post he would have forgotten his fantasies and never shot that poor white supremacist's foot.

It's a lot like that dumb idea that the best way to treat your idiot cousin who wants low taxes is to call him a Nazi and cut ties.

The coolzone mods and thread atmosphere didn't help by being overly sympathetic and defensive of his initial actions but he had came to the forum after already getting into armed altercations with people so I think they were just that crazy. The forums probably talked them down from doing something bad sooner since after getting shot and bringing it to the forums he was encouraged to try legal means and given help and advice on how to deal with it in court.

He only went on his toe-specific baby rampage months later after the charges were dropped and he got into another fist fight with proud boys.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Jun 12, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 7 days!)

i apologise for slandering cspam. but it doesn't really matter what subforum he belonged to. it really demonstrates how everyone now is carrying a gun (mainly for self defense) and everyone is under a lot of stress irl and anyone can snap. it's not like that guy had a history of violent posts, he just freaked out and did something stupid. but reading other people's violent posts was probably an instigating factor in why he was carrying a gun in the first place, and why he was on edge enough to actually pull it out and fire it

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

:five:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
idgaf wheres he from. the shooter is ours. enemies of cspam, u better step lightly

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

let us no longer advocate the harm of any living thing. let us seek life, not death

one side regularly enacts death on the global working poor

you're talking to the wrong crowd

err has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Jun 12, 2022

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

sometimes i accidentally let myself think cspam is a communist subforum and then the gun topic comes around and the illusion is shattered

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Raine posted:

sometimes i accidentally let myself think cspam is a communist subforum and then the gun topic comes around and the illusion is shattered
a lot of faultlines in c-spam but it is a funny one

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fly Molo posted:

i find it’s more productive to simply call them simp bitches and pussies who can’t handle a little bad news

wahhhhh the coral is bleaching i need a fresh diaper waaaaaa

I find you can accomplish this without gradeschool gendered insults and it's even more fun that way

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

T-Paine posted:

It's weird how whiny and aggressive climate optimists are, wonder what's up with that? I'm sure it's nothing

It's just funny to lol about it. They need to shove their beliefs in our faces while also ignoring any information presented while also coming into a space about the antithesis of their own beliefs so they can read it and whine about it lol.

They are loving losers and I hope they read this post and get upset about it enough to post in their own thread that I'll never look at

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Homeless Friend posted:

idgaf wheres he from. the shooter is ours. enemies of cspam, u better step lightly

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

the healthiest thing to do from the standpoint of the mental is just dismiss everything as a liberal lie

climate? liberal lie
covid? hoax
dead children? crisis actors
government coming for your guns? liberal fox news libbing up again

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

cum jabbar posted:

n95 outdoors too, then

I already have to do this when the wildfire smoke gets bad

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

cum jabbar posted:

n95 outdoors too, then

lmao, you're two years late to the party. there's an airborne plague that makes everyone's breath harmful, the air is filled with wildfire smoke, and the dust is made of heavy metals and brake pad particles.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

jetz0r posted:

lmao, you're two years late to the party. there's an airborne plague that makes everyone's breath harmful, the air is filled with wildfire smoke, and the dust is made of heavy metals and brake pad particles.

microplastics baby

https://theconversation.com/plastic-plastic-everywhere-airborne-microplastics-are-settling-into-the-most-remote-corners-of-the-globe-168787

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

. it's not like that guy had a history of violent posts, he just freaked out and did something stupid

his posts included "I'm a psycho with a gun"

we're all under varying amounts of stress, the vast majority of people aren't shooting at anyone. time aren't that bad, yet

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cabbages and Kings posted:

his posts included "I'm a psycho with a gun"

we're all under varying amounts of stress, the vast majority of people aren't shooting at anyone. time aren't that bad, yet

I think someone crunched the stats and determined all subforums are well below expected rates of known individual adventurism. we’re all friends here and there’s practically no difference between D&D and CSPAM ppl irl

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

500 good dogs posted:

acknowledging reality isn't good for your health

objectively true

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

mawarannahr posted:

there’s also a troop and landlord forum

Wait the gently caress a landlord forum? Where?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

RC Cola posted:

It's just funny to lol about it. They need to shove their beliefs in our faces while also ignoring any information presented while also coming into a space about the antithesis of their own beliefs so they can read it and whine about it lol.

They are loving losers and I hope they read this post and get upset about it enough to post in their own thread that I'll never look at

I mean it's gotta suck knowing that their lifetime of "long thorough activism", organizing and voting has achieved less than nothing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Wait the gently caress a landlord forum? Where?

the finances forum

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I mean it's gotta suck knowing that their lifetime of "long thorough activism", organizing and voting has achieved less than nothing.

They did exactly what the entrenched power players told them was the way to change things. It'd take a really unethical person to seize power and then lie about how it was done. Just a terrible group of human beings. Real douchebags.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

that probably won't be the last time that happens. everyones worried about the cspammers but we are doomers who dont have hope for the future so why would we do anything? it'll be the d&ders you gotta watch out for, once things start to look bad and they realize that help isn't coming

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I find you can accomplish this without gradeschool gendered insults and it's even more fun that way

hmmm fair

they’re cowards and liberals

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mediaphage posted:

everything sucks but last year i carefully avoided mowing this singular daisy and now look!!

No daisies yet, though they are starting to bud out. For such a showy flower it's puzzling that nothing here visits them beyond a few hoverflies.

I've been outside - it's wet. Strange to see Alaska burning to the waterline we're still waiting for the sun (and the growing season) to kick in. On the bright side I haven't felt the need to update our forest fire evacuation checklist and it's too wet to mow (I need to knock the buttercups down before they take over) which means there's lots of pockets filled with little flowers now. I'm pretty sure everything in this picture is an alien invader but they're pretty anyway.

Lots of hayfever complaints this spring. While the bees aren't finding much nectar they are bringing in large quantities of pollen. Some of my girls seem to enjoy rolling around in plant genitalia a little too much. This one staggered home with a deck load in addition to her full pollen baskets. Guess she needed some help to get cleaned up.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

All the lakes are dying

rip to all those sea monkeys or w/e goofy poo poo lives in there

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikxuaw5Xaiw

Saw this in a movie theatre, and alternated between lol that's some no effort feel the grass, and gently caress you banks you not funding carbon would make more of minor difference, to internally singing gently caress you lol lmao to somewhere over the rainbow.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Flunky posted:

rip to all those sea monkeys or w/e goofy poo poo lives in there

Biosphere Collapse: “absolutely, insanely bad”

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Remember Baw? I'm more worried about goons who join the military and police in terms of harm done to people.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"absolutely insanely bad" is definitely what I like to hear my professors of atmospheric sciences saying

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"absolutely insanely bad" is definitely what I like to hear my professors of atmospheric sciences saying

See, some of us can browse the thread without getting sadbrains

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Defective Pikachu posted:

remember the TFR guy who asked for advice about the best ammo when hunting large game and then killed someone

anyway,

he was upfront about wanting to kill people who were vandalizing his pumpkins

tfr universally was like "wtf don't kill people over pumpkins" but goons will be goons

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

More like cspam collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Morbus posted:

The problem in a nutshell is if you use microwaves, you need huge (like hundreds or thousands of meters wide) antennas on the satellite, and similarly huge (km scale) collecting stations on the ground. For example at 2.5 GHz, a 1000m aperture in geosynchronous orbit can only achieve a best-case, diffraction limited spot on the earth of 5km. Even if you are able to beam down 1 GW of power, your power density at the ground--at your massive 5km x 5km collector station--is only 40W/sq m, which is total trash compared to what you'd have gotten just building solar panels there instead.

You can do better at higher frequencies, but of course the 1000m aperture isn't realistic to begin with, and atmospheric attenuation becomes a problem at higher microwave frequencies. Best case, using sort of realistic technology, if you had a 20 meter transmitter at 100GHz, you'd end up with a spot size of 6km. If you ran at 100GHz, with a 100 meter wide aperture, you could focus down to about 1km, which would allow your giant 1km x 1km collector to achieve power density just about on par with solar panels. Hooray.

Because of the thinned array curse, you cant use a phased array of satellites to overcome these focusing limitations. Your only choices are make giant rear end Star Trek antennas, put the satellites closer, or go gently caress yourself. Most efforts have focused on the middle option, but as of yet the problems involved with beaming down huge amounts of power to fixed terrestrial collectors while flying overhead at 16,000 miles per hour without killing anyone remain insurmountable. Send Elon a PM it sounds like the kind of stupid poo poo he'd be into.

If you use lasers, the problems are much less severe. But then you lose 50% of your power generating the laser (conservatively), 50% again during conversion, and between 10-100% in the atmosphere depending on weather. So your best case efficiency is 22%--not great not terrible. Of course, even if each satellite has James Web size optics (6 meter aperture), your spot size with 3.5 micron radiation at the atmospheric IR transparency window is still only ~30 meters. So, if the satellites above a given ground receiver can collect ~1 MW of solar energy, before losses, your collector station will generate as much electricity as a similarly sized photovoltaic in normal sunlight.

Well whatever gently caress it, we can have many satellites illuminating each base station. So say we limit the aperture to something almost reasonable like 0.5 meter, and just have like 500 satellites per base station. Now, as long as each satellite collects ~1 MW of power, they can (incoherently) add their beams onto a single ~300 meter wide spot, and we can illuminate a collector a few hundred meters wide with 500 MW of power and do about 2-3x as well as ground based solar would have. At a cost of 800 billion dollars. Now to just invent compact space based lasers that can operate continuously at megawatts of power, and a way to cool the massive amounts of waste heat in the vacuum of space. Oh and let's just pretend thermal blooming from this much laser energy in the atmosphere doesn't cause problems.

Anyway, it's not impossible, but it sure would be easier and more efficient to just build solar and nuclear generation on the ground.

Well, hosed.

Although if you could start getting fractions of insane terawatts shipped in it would still be worth it. Not like we're gonna use that money to feed people or anything