Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MorningMoon posted:

Sounds worse than xcom in almost every way

Maybe it will play better than it looks and sounds.

There's also a character trailer for Gotham Knights about Nightwing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz3YjAF5mrQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

The souped-up magic whatever redesigns in the trailer make it harder to know who characters are and therefore get excited about them.

The only one I can't really make out is the bad guy who isn't Hulk, Venom, or Wanda.

The heroes are pretty easy. Nico, Magik, Strange, Ghost Rider, the player character, Spidey, Captain Marvel, Wolverine, Blade.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

Nico, Magik, the player character,

Oh ok, those were the ones I didn't get. I missed Nico's staff apparently.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The only one I can't really make out is the bad guy who isn't Hulk, Venom, or Wanda.

The heroes are pretty easy. Nico, Magik, Strange, Ghost Rider, the player character, Spidey, Captain Marvel, Wolverine, Blade.

That's because the bad guy is Lilith, who in the comics looks like this

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They mean the big guy next to her who isn’t venom or hulk I think?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

They mean the big guy next to her who isn’t venom or hulk I think?

Yeah, that one. I think maybe Abomination but I dunno for sure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, that one. I think maybe Abomination but I dunno for sure.

And if not him Lilith has her own crew from the comics and a couple of them were beefy boys. I think one was called Skinner.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I thought maybe Vision just cause of the yellow crystals on the wrists and scarlet witch being on the other side but he’d probably be more colourful or robot-y looking if so (I assume since it’s a crazy powerful demon lady pretty much any character is on the table in terms of “how exactly is this possession working on x character”).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's giving me Attuma vibes

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The combat sounds like that last South Park RPG, but also with a card element. Might give it a shot if the reviews are good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dawgstar posted:

And if not him Lilith has her own crew from the comics and a couple of them were beefy boys. I think one was called Skinner.

That character was brutal. When I was a kid it was mostly fun and joy in comics, then I get that one and it's "Hey, this demon was pretending to be a human and when called out of retirement he killed and skinned his entire family" Christ on a cracker.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i thought the other bad guy was rhino lol

trailer in general was lame tho

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm happy Spidey is in it.

Though if you only get 3 heroes at once he'll have a hard time cracking my Magik, Nico, and Captain Marvel group.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
No matter what I'm keeping Ghost Rider on the team.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm happy Spidey is in it.

Though if you only get 3 heroes at once he'll have a hard time cracking my Magik, Nico, and Captain Marvel group.

I think it's 3 heroes but one has to be the "Hunter" player character so you're gonna have to split up the dream team there (and it would probably be my dream team too lol).

There's a bunch of gameplay vids on youtube as they had a press event recently that they unembargoed today. A number of them are trying to empress on the fact that while it's a firaxis game, it's not an xcom game and the only real DNA they share is that they're from the same company.

I heard it's approx 60 hours of gameplay from one of them and, well, that's a lot of game. Possibly even too much. I suppose it depends on how well it plays but I get cautious of artificially bloated gameplay when I hear those kinds of numbers.

I'll probably still buy it...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No matter what I'm keeping Ghost Rider on the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J2j--jo7I4&t=3s

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RevKrule posted:

I think it's 3 heroes but one has to be the "Hunter" player character so you're gonna have to split up the dream team there (and it would probably be my dream team too lol).

There's a bunch of gameplay vids on youtube as they had a press event recently that they unembargoed today. A number of them are trying to empress on the fact that while it's a firaxis game, it's not an xcom game and the only real DNA they share is that they're from the same company.

I heard it's approx 60 hours of gameplay from one of them and, well, that's a lot of game. Possibly even too much. I suppose it depends on how well it plays but I get cautious of artificially bloated gameplay when I hear those kinds of numbers.

I'll probably still buy it...

I didn't know there were gameplay videos, so thanks for that.

It actually looks pretty fun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Is there a new full gameplay video or is it just the chopped up bits of footage?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've always wanted to get into deckbuilding games but the roguelike/run-based structure most of them follow turned me off of the idea. If I'm going to build a deck I think I would prefer for it to be a long term thing.

I guess Midnight Suns is going to be my first foray into the genre. I think it looks pretty good! :stoked:

catlord posted:

Is there a new full gameplay video or is it just the chopped up bits of footage?

I don't think there is any raw and uncut gameplay, but a handful of publications put out extended previews with commentary. Here's the Gamespot one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ZMhFLst1w

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Dawgstar posted:

SEYMOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

catlord posted:

Here's 20 minutes uncut of the fight against Venom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVPL_GisrI

I would guess there's no "raw" footage (without narration) because as mentioned in this video, part of the deal is they have to narrate the whole thing to be able to post it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I try not to be too nitpicky about preview footage because I know it's always on a super low difficulty level, early in the game or outright a basic build of the game or all three together, with that in mind that core gameplay in the Gamespot footage looks... fine but extremely long winded for what it actually was. The one RevKrule just posted was a bit better though.

The Gamespot footage was 15 minutes of 3 characters using the same moves again and again on one big enemy who got to act once each turn and two reinforcements coming in, standing right next to the main characters rather than in any position where you'd have to extend out and risk being split up a bit. Then they just get one shotted over and over again with trivial ease which makes sense since they're Hydra goons so you expect the main characters to be able to twat them pretty easily but as a result at no point did there seem to be any risk to any of the player characters really cause the max damage they were ever dealt was about a tenth of their max health. It looked like the tutorial for a phone game (not graphical quality wise but content wise) and it might actually be the tutorial to be fair I suppose.

When they announced it and it became clear it was a strategy game but different from an X-Com, I assumed it'd be a lot more dynamic and bombastic, sorta like the turn based strategy equivalent of a musou game where you'd have a tonne of the poo poo goons and they'd be trivial in the extreme but then sprinkled in would be bigger enemies, you'd have a team of 5 or 6 heroes and you'd be smashing up multi level environments, using stuff to corral enemies together and smashing them all at once, that kinda thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thebardyspoon posted:

Then they just get one shotted over and over again with trivial ease which makes sense since they're Hydra goons so you expect the main characters to be able to twat them pretty easily

Expect them to do what to the Hydra goons?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lobok posted:

Expect them to do what to the Hydra goons?

British slang, in this context it means hit them but it's a pretty varied word in the UK contextually. Sorry, I forgot that means just one thing in the US.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's pronounced "thwip"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Here's 20 minutes uncut of the fight against Venom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVPL_GisrI

I would guess there's no "raw" footage (without narration) because as mentioned in this video, part of the deal is they have to narrate the whole thing to be able to post it.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I watched the... FextraLife and IGN previews? The IGN one finally sorta answered the question that's been bothering me since the first gameplay videos, namely 'what does a character do if you don't draw a card for them' but it sounds like the answer is "nothing."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

thebardyspoon posted:

British slang, in this context it means hit them but it's a pretty varied word in the UK contextually. Sorry, I forgot that means just one thing in the US.

And yet, we cannot get you to stop using it, while we had to rename the triceratops Autobot because you all think a byproduct of metal refinery is a bad word about women.

C'est la vie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Well, that video has less of Wolverine running around throwing poo poo at Sabretooth so there's that. Is it just me or is it weird that buildings are hard edges to the map? In XCom you could run into buildings, and getting thrown through a window and continuing the fight inside seems like a real superhero thing to do. I guess I'm just nitpicking though, I've just been disappointed since the gameplay reveal.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i'm already cold toward card based gameplay and this did not do anything to change that for me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Soonmot posted:

i'm already cold toward card based gameplay and this did not do anything to change that for me.

SAme. That looked like poo poo.

If I want to play a card driven table top game with dice rolls I'll just...well...you know. Do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

SAme. That looked like poo poo.

If I want to play a card driven table top game with dice rolls I'll just...well...you know. Do that.

That's a really weird thing to say because you can apply it to a vast number of video games because they are in fact largely digital games.

Like even if you like tabletop single player games (which are vanishingly few in number) a video game removes a massive amount of setup, rules arguing, adding up numbers, and adds a glossy coat over the whole thing. Even if you discount that a huge number of genres are... just evolutions of existing games. Like there's not really a meaningful difference between tabletop and digital except the physical aspect and that isn't always a plus.

(Also video games tend to allow for more complex interactions because even if you can do something in a physical game making every action take 20 minutes to resolve is fuckin' boring for most people.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 12, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really don't like card based games but that looked fun to me. I guess giving you a variety of options but sort of randomizing it makes you have to adapt and not just do the same thing. But I liked the banter and the camera angles when attacks went off.

I dunno, maybe just because it's coated in a Marvel paint with a lot of characters I like just makes it easy for me to get into.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I guess giving you a variety of options but sort of randomizing it makes you have to adapt and not just do the same thing.

yeah that's what Jake Solomon has said was the specific goal of the system

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Why does everything hate the card game thing.

Slay The Spire had card mechanics too, did anyone complain then? Jesus Christ. All over a UI.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
For me the issue remains that I wanted Marvel X-Com, and instead they're making an Avengers turn based RPG with a card-based combat system.

On an intellectual level, I think the point of diversion boils down to making all the marquee characters playable; an understandable move from a marketing standpoint, but at the same time there are a lot of other games like that (physical and digital), and no games where you can take a squad of customizable/procedurally generated SHIELD agents into battle and then maybe 2 of them get permanently murdered by Dr. Octopus or something. The best games with these big rear end licensed universes tend to be the ones that drill down on a particular aspect (See Arkham Asylum and Spider-Man) so this kitchen sink gig is inherently less interesting in that sense (see Avengers and Gotham Knights)

I don't even think the game looks capital B BAD or anything, but it's not what I was looking for, meaning it's going to have to do a lot more to rope me in

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 12, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Soonmot posted:

Same, card games, turn-based games, can’t stand them so it’s a shame about this as I would have been totally up for playing as Illyana and hacking thing’s up with the Soulsword or dumping chumps into Limbo. Ah well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why does everything hate the card game thing.

Slay The Spire had card mechanics too, did anyone complain then? Jesus Christ. All over a UI.

I did. I don't really care for card based games, they tend to be a bit too random and I'm just assuming there's going to be a bunch of loot box stuff involved.
I don't really like xcom either but I'm hoping this is one of those games where they do stuff so weird that I wind up enjoying it

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Last time this conversation happened, Slay the Spire got used as the "well obviously people who hate digital card games have never played it" so I did, in fact, play it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Sentinel Red posted:

Same, card games, turn-based games, can’t stand them so it’s a shame about this as I would have been totally up for playing as Illyana and hacking thing’s up with the Soulsword or dumping chumps into Limbo. Ah well.

I gotta be honest, I'm kinda surprised that there isn't a Marvel Musou yet, so I'd say don't give up hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

catlord posted:

Last time this conversation happened, Slay the Spire got used as the "well obviously people who hate digital card games have never played it" so I did, in fact, play it.

Ah, but did you like it?