Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Boogalo posted:

Shoutouts to my fellow MCH mains who continue to play the class they enjoy. And then all the folks playing BRD because its good but they hate it.

I'm tanking and healing a lot right now but MCH was my first class to 90 and still holds the place of honor on my adventurers plate. MCH owns and if you're not having a blast cycling all your rotation and just doing meme poo poo like scattergun over and over then you're doing wrong. :colbert:

Chainsaw and flamethrower are some of the most satisfying things to pop in the game (except that 90% of the time I pop flamethrower for a dungeon mob, I get an aoe spawned on me). :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Arist posted:

I cannot believe they named one of these Arkasodara quests "Do It for the Vine"

I can. Koji Fox is a menace.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Isn’t it the woman who did live translating at the most recent live letter who’s in charge of EN localization now?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rap Game Goku posted:

I can. Koji Fox is a menace.

He's been working on XVI for a while now, it's his apprentice Kate Cwynar who's responsible for that stuff now.

It's really to her credit that no one actually noticed the transition.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I agree that warrior is the easiest job and one of the most fun jobs. It is a very very satisfying job.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Arist posted:

I cannot believe they named one of these Arkasodara quests "Do It for the Vine"

I could tell that this was supposed to be a reference but I must confess I have no idea what it's a reference to.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

rantmo posted:

I could tell that this was supposed to be a reference but I must confess I have no idea what it's a reference to.

Only thing I can think of is it being a reference to Vine, the video sharing thing that was basically tiktok befor tiktok existed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Professor Beetus posted:

Only thing I can think of is it being a reference to Vine, the video sharing thing that was basically tiktok befor tiktok existed.

This is it, yes. "Do it for the Vine" is basically daring someone to do something stupid for internet content

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Badger of Basra posted:

Isn’t it the woman who did live translating at the most recent live letter who’s in charge of EN localization now?

Theris posted:

He's been working on XVI for a while now, it's his apprentice Kate Cwynar who's responsible for that stuff now.

It's really to her credit that no one actually noticed the transition.

Yeah, she's been leading the FFXIV English team since Shadowbringers. It's her team we have to thank for all of the Firmament/Diadem item descriptions, for example.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Onean posted:

Yeah, she's been leading the FFXIV English team since Shadowbringers. It's her team we have to thank for all of the Firmament/Diadem item descriptions, for example.

She's done well to lay low and let Koji take the blame up to this point

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, that was the best I could come up with too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Runa posted:

She's done well to lay low and let Koji take the blame up to this point
I saw an immediate uptick in "she's been ruining this game since Shadowbringers with her agenda" posts as soon as she got pointed out as the current localization head in that one talk, including making pixies nonbinary because the Japanese script uses feminine terms and dialogue (including Queen for Titania's title) and also the talk at the start of 6.1 where Vrtra explains that dragons don't have biological genders which actually IS in the Japanese text nearly verbatim. But, of course, it'd been nearly mum when it was widely believed that Koji Fox still had the position then.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Hogama posted:

I saw an immediate uptick in "she's been ruining this game since Shadowbringers with her agenda" posts as soon as she got pointed out as the current localization head in that one talk, including making pixies nonbinary because the Japanese script uses feminine terms and dialogue (including Queen for Titania's title) and also the talk at the start of 6.1 where Vrtra explains that dragons don't have biological genders which actually IS in the Japanese text nearly verbatim. But, of course, it'd been nearly mum when it was widely believed that Koji Fox still had the position then.

Boooo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hogama posted:

Okay this is hosed up and lame, drat

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

They also recently changed the Moenbryda minion description to something less creepy and gross. I’m sure I could find a bunch of people whining about that if I cared to look.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Badger of Basra posted:

I’ll never forgive them for making it Archer -> Bard and not Archer -> Ranger

Why? 90% of BRD's buttons and fluff is ranger poo poo anyway.

Also the CN community is right SMN as is is probably the most brain dead class to play in the game. Just truly amazingly boring.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also the CN community is right SMN as is is probably the most brain dead class to play in the game. Just truly amazingly boring.

but crucially that does not include the AF gear!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

but crucially that does not include the AF gear!

drat you'll just have to settle for like...70% of the aiming gear that comes out and miss one outfit.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Summoner actually requires a ton of consideration of overall raid damage output because if you don't pay attention, you'll end up using Bahamut right before boss 3 dies and then you'll be grumpy because you won't have your correct starter ready for boss 4.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Summoner actually requires a ton of consideration of overall raid damage output because if you don't pay attention, you'll end up using Bahamut right before boss 3 dies and then you'll be grumpy because you won't have your correct starter ready for boss 4.

Yeah other classes don't have long cds on their openers that do this same thing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah other classes don't have long cds on their openers that do this same thing.

It is a joke :v: Though it is kind of annoying that most jobs can just start their opener late, but summoner has to go through a full Phoenix cycle first.

Also what the actual gently caress PvP ability lets somebody take me from 100% health and Guard to zero hp instantly when the other team does not have a samurai? I really want to know what the hell that was.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Also what the actual gently caress PvP ability lets somebody take me from 100% health and Guard to zero hp instantly when the other team does not have a samurai? I really want to know what the hell that was.
If they have a Machinist, Analysis-enhanced Chain Saw has a straight 3% chance to instantly KO regardless of Guard status.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hogama posted:

If they have a Machinist, Analysis-enhanced Chain Saw has a straight 3% chance to instantly KO regardless of Guard status.

Maybe that was it. Was just a cherry on top of a match we were winning, then got pushed back, then fail cascaded because people insisted on running back in one at a time rather than waiting for the group. I'm definitely never getting out of silver if I keep getting groups like this.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Thundarr posted:

Maybe that was it. Was just a cherry on top of a match we were winning, then got pushed back, then fail cascaded because people insisted on running back in one at a time rather than waiting for the group. I'm definitely never getting out of silver if I keep getting groups like this.

That’s the worst thing about PvP. People doing the rush in. No, it does not stop at Crystal rank either. It happens less, but still far more often than I’d like to see.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It is the most mindblowing thing to me that the Chainsaw instagib was implemented and has continued to exist

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

It is the most mindblowing thing to me that the Chainsaw instagib was implemented and has continued to exist

PVP seems far more interested in allowing for Class Fantasy stuff and probably one of the most iconic parts of Edgar's chainsaw was that instakill chance. (Also the hockey mask which they still need to give us.)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think the worst move is honestly the NIN LB because it’s just so drat punishing if you’re on the defensive. Doesn’t wear off super fast so you can just start chain killing people with no downsides and it even goes through guard. I think if it breaks a guard there should be some downside like that it falls off quicker. It sucks to see your party just eat it repeatedly and there’s absolutely nothing you can do beside “have full HP” which if you’re on the defensive. Good luck.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Thundarr posted:

That's why SMN simply has to meld for SpS and make Baha come back faster.

Love that the SMN BiS for UWU is like 2.12 GCD. Just trying to pump out every Baha possible.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Decided I didn't like the flow of my houses main room. Found a new spot for the chair, felt incomplete so moved a side table to it, realized I accidentally created a power corner for my basement.

:iia:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

My class fantasy is not dying to a natural 20

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
How possible is it to blind prog Omega Savage on the Party Finder nowadays? Specifically, O8S. I'm playing through this game with my SO, and FFVI is their favorite game ever, so I wanna do the Kefka Fight with them with the full transition into Final Boss Kefka...but I don't want to spoil that transition for them by us having to watch/read a bunch of guides before we go into it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If you’re going unsync it’s easy and you’ll see the transition stuff. synced is going to be pretty difficult blind.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DanielCross posted:

How possible is it to blind prog Omega Savage on the Party Finder nowadays? Specifically, O8S. I'm playing through this game with my SO, and FFVI is their favorite game ever, so I wanna do the Kefka Fight with them with the full transition into Final Boss Kefka...but I don't want to spoil that transition for them by us having to watch/read a bunch of guides before we go into it.

Synced or unsynced? If the latter you only need 4 or 5 people to trivialize the fight and that's pretty doable on party finder. You won't be able to find 8 people willing to blind prog synced old savage on PF, though, so you will need to recruit elsewhere.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

DanielCross posted:

If you're doing it unsynced because you just want them to see the transition, music, etc., it should be very easy, just make sure to put "we're blind" in the PF description. If you're doing it synced it's gonna be a hassle.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

DanielCross posted:

The full transition occurs even unsync'd, and it's possible to still need to engage with O8S mechanics if you do it unsync'd but with only four people if you don't want it to be a complete pushover. There's one mechanic that definitely will be a bit of a wall blind.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hot Take,
As much as I hate when I get instagibbed by the machinist chainsaw, I think every class, in pvp, should have a chance to instagib on one of their attacks (albeit the rate of instagibbing should be relatively low, like 1/50...and the chainsaw should also reflect this lower number)

Look, I know people say they want perfectly balanced combats where skill is the only thing that matters........and to that I say bullshit. The people who actually want a perfectly balanced game is a small percentage of freaks, who also likely have a ton of fighting games they have a hard time getting their friends to play (I should know I am one such freak) and will go on a screed about how "come-back mechanics" ruin their game.

However, giving everyone the sweet chance to claw back from a deficit thanks to a die roll does a lot to keep people, especially bad players, engaged in pvp games. See the popularity of stuff like MTG or Pokemon VGC or what have you, theres always that small bit of randomness that players will always blame for their defeat, and comfortably ignore when they win. This acts to ease losses and essentially give a few wins to weaker players so they stay invested in playing. Right now, machinist is the only one that gets that instakill ability, which just makes the randomness feel like it is unfairly weighted against the player who got one-shot (even though it is not). So, share the love, give everyone the chance to instagib with one of their attacks, people will still complain, but pvp would retain even more players.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 13, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
PvP already feels great and is probably more popular than it has ever been. Everybody has a really cool imbalanced club to swing, which much like the Marvel vs Capcom school of design magically balances out(mostly.) MCH already has head shot and classes like MNK and NIN that can press a dopamine release button and delete their foe. If people are dropping pvp because they can't get their little wins they likely aren't learning simple macro, 1/8 into a death ball and complain about their team.

The only bad imbalance I've felt is that maybe Ninja shouldn't be a better ranged than every physical ranged class. At least give Dancer 20 yards.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Never noticed it until I started doing Arkasodara dailies, but do the combat tribe quest actually give a good chunk of exp?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah. It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whats neat is that even older combat based tribe quests don't get their xp payout neutered like the crafting ones do. At least, last I checked. Like going into Shadowbringers I was getting like 3 million xp on level 70+ classes for a few minutes of work.