Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have to go in one day per week at the moment, it is actually pretty good for me. I like most of my colleagues and it's important to get to know people I don't work with directly. Post covid* we have more social stuff on, and it's nice going running or to the lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

leper khan posted:

Basically every position has fully paid medical and dental. I'm not going to shave corners on a 15 vs 20 copay or 8000 vs 10000 out of pocket max or w/e

In the usa its more like 'the difference between a fully paid silver plan and an hsa with matching, vs the shittiest bronze tier plan thats only 80-90% paid for and has a 13500/9k out of pocket max just so the business can say they offer health insurance'.

A difference that big is, in fact, a talking point. American health care is lovely.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One frustrating thing is when people send me messages on, say, LinkedIn without showing they've even bothered reading my profile. If you're recruiting for a cloud computing position, I want to know that you're doing this aware that I have no experience in the field, and that the position will include on-the-job training for it because it's more important that I've done C++ dev for several years, say, or anything else I have actually done. I can read companies` boilerplate job postings myself, I don't need that in my inbox.

You could try including a passphrase in your profile. I'm not sure if its gauche , but something like 'Recruiters: include the phrase _______________ in your message to show you read my resume.'

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"re" in "reCaptcha" stands for "recruiter"

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

You could try including a passphrase in your profile. I'm not sure if its gauche , but something like 'Recruiters: include the phrase _______________ in your message to show you read my resume.'

If you go this route, be careful that the passphrase doesn't overlap with a preexisting email filter. It took me forever to figure out why I wasn't getting recruiter emails anymore after I started asking them to include the phrase "hot local DILFs".

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Edly posted:

If you go this route, be careful that the passphrase doesn't overlap with a preexisting email filter. It took me forever to figure out why I wasn't getting recruiter emails anymore after I started asking them to include the phrase "hot local DILFs".

If I take this position, I'll be sure to include this phrase with everyone just to be safe.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The DILFs are usually the ones who demand what position you take.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheParadigm posted:

It's pretty easy to discern that people haven't read my profile, I don't really need a passphrase for that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Salami Surgeon posted:

I recently left my WFH job for one where I get my own office, and my biggest complaint is that the chair is an uncomfortable piece of poo poo. Second biggest is probably "Whatcha do this weekend? Whatcha doin this weekend?" water cooler talk questions.
I kind of miss that. I used to have one co-worker who's weekends were always "Went to the moon. Fought a bear. Nothing much. You?" poo poo. Just casually throwing out the most exciting weekends imaginable and not really thinking about it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My former boss went to go work at a biotech firm (from Manager to Director) and it looks like I'm going to follow her and take the manager role.

Can somebody tell me more about RSUs since I've never had this before, and also is working for biotech good?

My only complaint is that the interview process is
Recruiter
My bosses boss (since my boss hasnt started yet)
4 person panel interview (might be separate interviews - not sure)
Follow up call with my bosses boss.

Why the gently caress do I have to talk to 7 people to do a job?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I don't know if 7 is unusual? When we hire, it's Manager, team (4 people) and product/project (1-2 usually).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, 7 is high but on the normal range of high. At my company it's recruiter + 3-4 more. I usually don't hire managers but for managers it'd probably be 7+ actually.

RSUs are basically stock you get now but can't sell for x number of years (typically something like you get 1/3 of the grant every year). Something to watch, if they don't take taxes out up front, you will owe tax on the entire stock when you sell it. If they do take it out, then whatever the stock is worth at grant date is your cost basis moving forward.

Biotech is fine. They are usually a little more tight fisted but also can have rapid growth.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
A typical RSU grant has a length and vesting schedule and potentially a cliff. They'll tell you the total value and you want to normalize to yearly so divide by the length. Common schedule are monthly, quarterly and bi yearly. It's also common to have a one year cliff where no stock vests for the initial year and then vests in a lump at the one year mark. They also tend to be under withheld and so you'll probably owe money at tax time.

I'm less familiar if the company isn't public and gives RSUs. I think it's common that the company puts a second trigger so they don't vest until a liquidity event because you owe taxes when they vest. I don't quite know how this functions if you leave so that would be something to look into.

asur fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 12, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
We're private with RSUs and they do liquidity windows a few times a year. Price is set by some valuation process with an external firm.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I think 7 is a more than fair number for a senior role, if anything its positive. Plus two of them are director level, maybe even some of the other 4 too. Looks likes a serious application to me good luck with it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

So I've encountered the occasional application interface that does the obnoxious "this field is required" thing with a couple dropdowns where you have to pick number/currency/time for your minimum pay requirement, one that doesn't let me type in "equal to my peers doing the same work with similar skills and experience" or some other evasion. I'm a new grad in a field extremely competitive for new grads (registered nursing) and ive been poor my whole life so id literally take anything, so i knew enough to disregard my own judgement and just stuck in a value on the low end of the salary estimate for RNs in that area from a couple different employment websites.

Considering how heavily unionized nursing is in California, it's not likely to even matter, but I was curious what the advice is for these annoying electronic-forced-answers in the future.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I always put in 0 if possible, but I've also never gotten far with a place that uses that type of software

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’m up to 12 interviews with a single big tech company for a staff level position.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

So I've encountered the occasional application interface that does the obnoxious "this field is required" thing with a couple dropdowns where you have to pick number/currency/time for your minimum pay requirement, one that doesn't let me type in "equal to my peers doing the same work with similar skills and experience" or some other evasion. I'm a new grad in a field extremely competitive for new grads (registered nursing) and ive been poor my whole life so id literally take anything, so i knew enough to disregard my own judgement and just stuck in a value on the low end of the salary estimate for RNs in that area from a couple different employment websites.

Considering how heavily unionized nursing is in California, it's not likely to even matter, but I was curious what the advice is for these annoying electronic-forced-answers in the future.

I believe it's to enter '1' or '0' and then explain if they ask you about it later on.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

No one will ever ask

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Evis posted:

I’m up to 12 interviews with a single big tech company for a staff level position.

12 interviews for a single position? How are you still doing these? I don't think I'd play their games that long no matter the job.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Like separate 12 separate interviews? Or 4 panels with 3 people each?

One of my old jobs did that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Learn how to use Burp Suite and mess with the form fields?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

12 separate interviews is insane. I think our current process has four steps/seven people and I feel like it's maybe a person or two too much. If multiple people at the same level need to be involved, it better be via a panel.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

SEKCobra posted:

12 interviews for a single position? How are you still doing these? I don't think I'd play their games that long no matter the job.

There was a phone screen, then a couple of individual interviews, then a round of five, then a few more individual ones have rolled in over the past month or two. I’m not doing any more but it’s been good interview experience even if I don’t get the job. I’m currently employed so not in a hurry.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Quackles posted:

I believe it's to enter '1' or '0' and then explain if they ask you about it later on.

I've been getting "please enter a real number" when I enter "0" or "1". I enter "2" and never hear back.

I guess I work in a field that is cutting hard on that poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Boot and Rally posted:

I've been getting "please enter a real number" when I enter "0" or "1". I enter "2" and never hear back.

I guess I work in a field that is cutting hard on that poo poo.
Helpfully email them with the wikipedia page for Real Numbers.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
When I was right out of college I was interviewing for a like, administrative assistant position or something similarly low and the interview process was back to back 1 on 12 interviews (I assume the whole department). Just a dumb waste of time for them, probably good I didn’t get the job.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Recruiter: Wednesday
Hiring Manager: Friday

6/15:
10-1030 Interview with panel person #1 (Scientist totally unrelated to the job)
1030-11 Panel Person #2 (HR)
2-230: Panel Person #3 (HR)
4-430: Panel Person #4 (CFO)
430-5: Hiring Manager wrapup.

poo poo is exhausting

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

lol, if you want fun interview days, look at senior higher ed positions. my last go around was 2 full days. probably collectively met with 75+ people, outside of the presentation (50+ attendees).

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Upgrade posted:

lol, if you want fun interview days, look at senior higher ed positions. my last go around was 2 full days. probably collectively met with 75+ people, outside of the presentation (50+ attendees).

For like $50k/year and semiannual fights to the death for funding.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nah he said senior positions so it's upwards of $65K a year.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Surely with that amount of interviewing you’re missing a zero if not two?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Evis posted:

Nah $650 per year is for all the adjuncts

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Evis posted:

Ahh, you're right. $65k + $0 + $0.

Edit: Alternatively

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 14, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pillowpants posted:

Recruiter: Wednesday
Hiring Manager: Friday

6/15:
10-1030 Interview with panel person #1 (Scientist totally unrelated to the job)
1030-11 Panel Person #2 (HR)
2-230: Panel Person #3 (HR)
4-430: Panel Person #4 (CFO)
430-5: Hiring Manager wrapup.

poo poo is exhausting

this does not seem that bad other than totally overweighted to HR people

like you spent 2.5 hours in interviews in one day that does not seem unreasonable

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Dear Hiring Person,

You are looking for a Widget Adjuster. I have a highly successful track record as a Widget Adjuster, as you will see in the attached résumé. I want to make a little bit of money while you make a lot of money. I look forward to hearing from you at 000-666-4444 or super@awesome.com.

Extremely sincerely yours,
Eric the Mauve

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this does not seem that bad other than totally overweighted to HR people

like you spent 2.5 hours in interviews in one day that does not seem unreasonable

I work in Payroll which is a bridge between finance and HR so it makes sense. I'm more confused about the scientist.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pillowpants posted:

I work in Payroll which is a bridge between finance and HR so it makes sense. I'm more confused about the scientist.

Eh, makes sense if it's a technical job. The scientist might be totally unrelated to the position, but if they're hiring a, for example, lab tech then it might be useful to have someone in the room who knows what questions to ask to tell if the applicant has the technical chops.

A couple of jobs ago I got hired right after they had a disastrous clusterfuck involving someone who straight up lied about their credentials. The job needed someone with a PhD in Applied Basket Weaving, this person said they had a PhD in Applied Basket Weaving, and they did not. They had a loving Bachelors in Basket Weaving Studies. Did terrible work, were painfully obviously out of their league whenever someone tried to talk to them, and basically skated by avoiding conversations until someone else managed to pin them down and ask some things that made it loving CLEAR they'd never been to grad school. I think they lasted a month and a half before it all blew up. It was, as you can well imagine, a giant huge thing. This was contract work so the client was loving NOT happy that they had been paying $PhD for a contractor and that they hadn't been provided that. It's a loving miracle they didn't lose the contract right then and there.

Anyways, after I got hired in addition to my actual duties I had a secondary title with a bit of extra cash just to vet academic resumes for the company. Literally all they needed was someone to look at an academic's resume and sanity check it to make sure it wasn't just a tissue of lies and deceit. I also got pulled in on a few interviews as well, and it was just me doing fingers and toes checks to make sure it wasn't another fraudulent not-a-PhD.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh, makes sense if it's a technical job. The scientist might be totally unrelated to the position, but if they're hiring a, for example, lab tech then it might be useful to have someone in the room who knows what questions to ask to tell if the applicant has the technical chops.

A couple of jobs ago I got hired right after they had a disastrous clusterfuck involving someone who straight up lied about their credentials. The job needed someone with a PhD in Applied Basket Weaving, this person said they had a PhD in Applied Basket Weaving, and they did not. They had a loving Bachelors in Basket Weaving Studies. Did terrible work, were painfully obviously out of their league whenever someone tried to talk to them, and basically skated by avoiding conversations until someone else managed to pin them down and ask some things that made it loving CLEAR they'd never been to grad school. I think they lasted a month and a half before it all blew up. It was, as you can well imagine, a giant huge thing. This was contract work so the client was loving NOT happy that they had been paying $PhD for a contractor and that they hadn't been provided that. It's a loving miracle they didn't lose the contract right then and there.

Anyways, after I got hired in addition to my actual duties I had a secondary title with a bit of extra cash just to vet academic resumes for the company. Literally all they needed was someone to look at an academic's resume and sanity check it to make sure it wasn't just a tissue of lies and deceit. I also got pulled in on a few interviews as well, and it was just me doing fingers and toes checks to make sure it wasn't another fraudulent not-a-PhD.

I really want to know more about the thought process on both sides here. Like, how did the candidate expect the job to go once they'd bullshitted their way in? But also, it sounds like the company never even considered the possibility that someone might lie on their resume? And also, no other part of the interview process caught that the candidate was grossly underqualified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is there not a part of the interview where they ask some basic questions about their job to see if they know what the gently caress it is they're doing? Or a background check at some point?

What are you even asking during an interview if not how well the candidate can do their job?

e: Actually, I had a candidate this week when asked what skills he brought to the team, he said "All the ones you need." And he couldn't remember any details about a project on his resume because it was too long ago. However, I chose to not hire him rather than take him on his word that he could do everything we wanted!

bamhand fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 14, 2022