Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Nope. More Options, There's Options and Options? are not found in any of the greed mode item pools, so you need a Spindown Dice to get them.

C-section was the answer! I actually got spindown but am on the switch and find it annoying to look up every item. C-section on Esau and pushing his damage and tears up while making Jacob have HP worked OK. Somehow Jacob didn't even get hit v Ultra Greed just Esau repeatedly but thanks to Sprinkler I out dpsed him.

Now just the joy of Lost v Beast & Mother. Then a mountain of tainted things to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I love becoming Guppy

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

If you get ALL Guppy items in a single run it should make you as powerful as pre-nerf Guppy

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think I've become guppy since repentance came out now that I think of it, and there's even more guppy items now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sad Panda posted:

C-section was the answer! I actually got spindown but am on the switch and find it annoying to look up every item. C-section on Esau and pushing his damage and tears up while making Jacob have HP worked OK. Somehow Jacob didn't even get hit v Ultra Greed just Esau repeatedly but thanks to Sprinkler I out dpsed him.

Now just the joy of Lost v Beast & Mother. Then a mountain of tainted things to do.

C-Section is absurdly good. Think it's my favorite item currently. Strong to the point of being OP with a ton of fun synergies.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah C-section seems to have a specifically designed synergy with literally every tear effect

It's nuts that the devs probably had to sit down and spend maybe a few dozen hours coding in the 100 synergies for this new item that 50% of players might never unlock, and then the ones who do might see it like 1% of the time. I'm glad they did tho

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

PantsBandit posted:

C-Section is absurdly good. Think it's my favorite item currently. Strong to the point of being OP with a ton of fun synergies.

Yeah I had it with lump of coal and a few range ups which meant that they were massive by the time theyd gone the height of the room.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
The key item to beating Mother with Isaac? Heartbreak & blanket. Think I got hit 4? times in the fight which made me lose perfection but Ipecac spam (with pyro) meant I was safe. Only The Beast to get Mini Mush and be done with non-tainted characters.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just had my first infinite-money Greedier mode run.

Bethany + wooden nickel (already a broken combo) + birthright (soul charge uses have a 50% chance to not consume charges) + car battery.

On the final floor I had a soul heart in the shop. Buying up soul hearts and spamming wooden nickel consistently gave me more (often way more) money than I invested into the hearts.

I also had NO! and a discounted item, so I ended up just buying passives until I got bored, then went and melted Super Greed.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I haven't gotten a broken run like that in a long while. It's always a little cathartic breaking it WAAAY past what you need to win, kind of like a little "gently caress you" to the game for all the times it was a jerk.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Fattest PI posted:

I haven't gotten a broken run like that in a long while. It's always a little cathartic breaking it WAAAY past what you need to win, kind of like a little "gently caress you" to the game for all the times it was a jerk.

Repentance made going infinite like that waaay harder to do because apparently Ed doesn't like streamers doing it for some reason.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
edmund has brain problems

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not a game dev but I think balancing anything around streamers who play the game for a living is probably a bad idea.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I always felt like 'Edmund hates people doing this' was pretty overblown, especially given that you can still do pretty much everything people say he stopped from happening

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Maybe Edmund nerfed some things, but Lavencas on YouTube still posts lots of crazy runs.

I beat Hush as The Lost last night and my butt is still clenched. I actually had gnawed leaf but couldn't use it due to a lack of passive damage sources.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
imo there's a difference between not being able to get to a game-breaking run and not being able to accidentally sleepwalk into having a gamebreak build anymore. i think it does make it feel a bit more rewarding when you get there now that you need to work towards it a bit harder, and being on your toes a bit more until you get there makes the moment to moment gameplay more fun imo. rebalancing things for that goal especially when introducing new endgame bosses was something i feel was a good move

also they get conflated but i also think there's an important difference between a really good build (something you can still easily chance into) and an outright gamebreaking build (you can loop into having just about every relevant item in the game and delete bosses in an instant)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LLCoolJD posted:

I needed to beat Hush to finish my Lilith checkmarks. R-scummed my way to Ipecac, which was later paired with Pyromaniac. Later on, I got Guppy. Goodnight, sweet prince.

This is how I managed to beat Hush and Delerium with the Lost. Ipecac, soy milk and pyromaniac. Then found 2 guppy items in the delerium floor.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I think there are several instances in the lifetime of the game where Edmund overcorrected on balance/nerfs but Repentance has the game in the best spot it's ever been in. There was understandably some complaining when it came out as a few popular strategies were gutted, but in retrospect a lot of those required exploiting game mechanics in tedious ways. In my experience it's easier now in many ways to consistently get a build together that's capable of beating the game, and for every busted OP build that's not possible anymore, one or two new ones now exist

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Afterbirth was a hosed up game. It was by far the worst version of isaac. Breaks were more common than strong runs and repentence brings breaks back in line with the better versions of the game. I think having memorably op runs is much more fun than the giant black snot ball of 300 item runs, which really feels the same after a while.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
beat delirium with tainted keeper. for once I don't wish the worst things imaginable happening to edward m after swallowed penny and placenta saved me. mostly though placenta actually managed to regen a penny during the fight? having because placenta actually saved me during a boss fight is where maybe, just maybe, edward mcmillan doesn't deserve to be fed into an industrial shredder and then have his remains shot into space. maybe just one of the two

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
My complaints about the breakability are extremely minor and irrelevant. My complaints about the game being a stupid loving rear end in a top hat are extremely relevant. I finally finished Keeper postit. That's probably as bad as it gets right. Right?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

keeper is fun :shrug:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tainted Keeper is fun

Regular Keeper is eh, massively improved but still eh

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

nah, innate triple shot and paying money for devil deals is a lot of fun. obviously not as fun as tainted keeper but like what is

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

hey guys what's your absolute favorite item in this game these days?

for me, probably spirit sword. just tons of fun to use it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh that's a tough one, so I'll probably list out a few.

Stat wise? Polyphemus. Yeah there's better DPS increases (it's around an 80% increase in DPS assuming no shenanigans), but it's one of the more accessible high power ones, and I just love the spritework on that thing too. Magic Mush is a pretty close one, but I think they overdid the availability nerf on it (especially when Cricket's Head had its weight untouched).

Active? Probably Mega Mush. It's just pretty fun to go around on a giant baby rampage for the few times it shows up.

Birthright's one of my favorite shop items namely cause a personalized boost I find really neat. Also I just love the trolling with Tainted Jacob's birthright. :allears: The new description text for it is also great "It's not yours." Though I'd say Member's Card is my true favorite shop item because of how it adds to shops, and adds in a useful money sink on some runs so there's reason to actually spend money. Which is nice after the shop nerfs and makes running into Greed not sting as much.

The stairway is also another one I really like for making Angel items more accessible.

4.5 Volt is also one I really like because it lets you use actives multiple times in 1 fight, which is great for the loving armored bosses.

For stuff that isn't a direct buff to Isaac's stats or mechanics, Guppy's Eye is one of my favorites. The information it provides is just really helpful and neat. It's a bit janky when it comes to trinkets, but it's a very nice new item effect that isn't too wild.

My favorite tear modifier used to be Epic Fetus but now it's C-Section since it actually has more synergies and isn't a direct downgrade for a good portion of builds like some tear modifers can end up being.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nyoro posted:

hey guys what's your absolute favorite item in this game these days?

for me, probably spirit sword. just tons of fun to use it.

C Section rules

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Araxxor posted:

The stairway is also another one I really like for making Angel items more accessible.

The stairway is a pain point for me. I unlocked it on pc, saw it a few times and never had the resources to buy anything.

Unlocked it on switch like 15 runs ago and haven't seen it a single time yet.

It's a fun mechanic I just wish it appeared way more often.

Favorite item that hasn't been mentioned yet: Spoon Bender. It's kind of a cop-out answer but I get real hype whenever I see it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Favorite item that hasn't been mentioned yet: Spoon Bender. It's kind of a cop-out answer but I get real hype whenever I see it.

I love Spoon Bender too. For a lot of the same reasons I love C Section. I just don't have to pay attention to offense anymore. just fire fire fire

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Perfection is the best addition.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Agree for nearly all the items mentioned - C-Section, stairway and spoon bender are excellent. Definite disagree on spirit sword though to the point where I probably skip it half the time. I don't like being that close and sometimes find it an excellent way to die. It's not on my almost never list (ipecac, blood poppy, no 2,cursed eye, almond milk) though!

Edit - Mars is on the absolute never list. Just came up in a blind planetarium room and it's just awful. So easy to accidentally trigger it using my Switch controller.

Edit 2 - And the Bums (other than dark bum) but especially Key Bum. So annoying at the start of a run when they steal your keys! Fine later on when you are overloaded and have nothing to do with them.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 23, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Spirit Sword is good when you have low tears since the swings ignore that stat.

Also ofc Sacred Heart which for a free item that can appear from floor 3 is insane even if it's rarer than Polyphemus and C-Section.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I almost always go for angel rooms over devil rooms just for sacred heart.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Spirit Sword is good when you have low tears since the swings ignore that stat.

Also ofc Sacred Heart which for a free item that can appear from floor 3 is insane even if it's rarer than Polyphemus and C-Section.

I would guess Sacred Heart is objectively the largest power spike you can get.

If you get Death Certificate and purely want to win the run, Sacred Heart is the pick.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I complain about my bad skill bad luck a lot, but to be fair I've only ever got The Stairway on Beast runs where I have lots of money. It's so awesome on the way back up you just get peppered with angel items. If you're low on health you get a poo poo ton of heart containers too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I love Spoon Bender too. For a lot of the same reasons I love C Section. I just don't have to pay attention to offense anymore. just fire fire fire

Yep, homing tears are effectively a DPS increase as well since a bunch of shots that miss will now hit.

PostNouveau posted:

I would guess Sacred Heart is objectively the largest power spike you can get.

If you get Death Certificate and purely want to win the run, Sacred Heart is the pick.

Hmm, assuming you're base Isaac and had any of these as your first item, and no shenanigans (such as Rock Bottom) are involved, these would be the DPS increases from the damage multiplier items.

Immaculate Heart: 20%
Eve's Mascera: 32%
Magic Mushroom: 75%
Polyphemus: 80%
Sacred Heart: 87% if picked up as your first item, 121% instead if you have tear increasing items.
Cricket's Head: 90%

And the ones that increase how many tears you shoot out (and assuming you hit every shot obviously):

20/20: 50%
Inner Eye: 53%
Mutant Spider: 69%

Of course these don't tell the full story by far. The DPS increases are only if they're picked up as your first item, and their increases in other runs will vastly depend on your build and such. Mutant Spider would be far better with a Brimstone build, where you'd pre-charge before going into a room.

Sacred Heart is a bizarre case because it's only lower than Cricket's Head because of how the tear formula works. The bizarre formula results in it having a bigger tear penalty if picked up as your first item (-0.76 instead of -0.4), but if you have any other tear increasing items, the penalty goes back to normal and yes it does become the best DPS increasing item to pick up in many cases. The homing also makes it another effective DPS increase, so it's a very safe pickup since it only has 2 minor penalty stats unlike with say, Polyphemus's major fire rate penalty. And shot speed down is a benefit in some cases, like with Tech X.

The Fattest PI posted:

I don't think I've become guppy since repentance came out now that I think of it, and there's even more guppy items now.

That's because it's much harder to become Guppy now. (And a bunch of other transformations as well.) Only 1 guppy item was added in Repentance, along with the Kid's Drawing trinket, but they added so many other items, that the chances of finding 3 guppy items just went down a whole lot.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 23, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sacred Heart also has a higher damage multiplier than Cricket's Head, which I believe means it improves future items more.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Obviously an early Rock Bottom is ridiculously epic too if followed by the correct items.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Sacred Heart also has a higher damage multiplier than Cricket's Head, which I believe means it improves future items more.

Yep, highest in the game at 2.3x. And if you're already above the tears softcap, it's basically no penalties at all. Definitely a safe bet to take for Death Certificate shenanigans, unless you know there's a tear modifier or some other specific item that'll make your build stronger or just plain more fun.

GrandmaParty posted:

Perfection is the best addition.

Ooh, this is also another really good choice. Luck has been an interesting stat since they added more things that interacted with it in Rebirth. It was added in WOTL, and only affected room payouts and Tough Love. That's it. And -2 Luck was better for the former because of hell code. Any other RNG tear effects couldn't have their chances manipulated aside from upping your tear rate to get more "dice rolls" on that front.

But there were barely any ways to increase luck back in Rebirth unless Luck Up pills were in the rotation. (Or Luck Down if you have PHD.) Lucky Pennies were my favorite addition from Afterbirth because it added more ways to increase luck. Also thank gently caress they quickly undid the stupid "grants 0.75 luck instead of 1 luck" nerf they slapped em with shortly after adding it to the game, because decimal luck rounds down and meant you had to get 2 lucky pennies to get 1 point of luck.

Perfection's a great addition that actually lets you see the effects of high luck more often. Namely cause the way luck works (It's exponential for quite a few items, though some do scale linearly) means that 1 or 2 points of luck barely counts as an increase and you need high bursts of luck to see the higher rates. (Your 1 in 10 chance for firing off a tooth shot for tough love is now a 1 in 9 or a 1 in 8 chance. Whoopee.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Spirit Sword is awkward because it's solid if you're just going for Lamb/???? but it's a borderline run killer if you're going for most of the superbosses and don't get the right synergies or just an OP run. It does have a lot of great synergies though, C-Section + Spirit Sword in particular is ridiculous.

I think my favorite new item is Star of Bethlehem. It's super powerful and just sort of does everything. It also trivializes greed mode which was nice when I was clearing some of the tougher completion marks.

flatluigi posted:

imo there's a difference between not being able to get to a game-breaking run and not being able to accidentally sleepwalk into having a gamebreak build anymore. i think it does make it feel a bit more rewarding when you get there now that you need to work towards it a bit harder, and being on your toes a bit more until you get there makes the moment to moment gameplay more fun imo. rebalancing things for that goal especially when introducing new endgame bosses was something i feel was a good move

also they get conflated but i also think there's an important difference between a really good build (something you can still easily chance into) and an outright gamebreaking build (you can loop into having just about every relevant item in the game and delete bosses in an instant)

I think people are using different definitions of "game breaking" than I am. I'm specifically talking about places where you can generate infinite items, which is the specific thing Edmund wanted to get rid of. I don't think it was ever that common unless your specifically trying to do it, like doing a D20 greed mode break or something. Now it's virtually impossible without extremely specific item/character combos. I always thought it was a neat that the rules of Isaac allowed you to do it, and it's a shame that now you can do 100 runs and never see the conditions to do it. Oh well!

The balance is better in Repentance though, yeah. Like, if you look at runs that make it to Mom (trivial if you're experienced), they probably break down something like this:

So overpowered you clear every boss in seconds and have 0 chance of losing: Afterbirth+ 15% || Repentance 15%
Strong but not to the point of trivializing the game: Afterbirth+ 25% || Repentance 40%
Fairly challenging but your build still feels solid: Afterbirth+ 30% || Repentance 25%
Frustratingly weak but you can still eek out a lamb/???? win: Afterbirth+ 25% || Repentance 20%
Feels virtually unwinnable, suggest taking the polaroid and going to Sheol: Afterbirth+ 5% || Repentance negligible
(this is for "normal" characters, not stuff like tainted lost or J&E)

I think it mostly comes down to them buffing a lot of the terrible items and rebalancing the pools. Afterbirth+ definitely gave you a decent number of runs where every item you found was just useless crap that didn't make you noticeably stronger.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 24, 2022