Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

She does comment on how weird everyone's lowkey reactions are so that is probably going to be a plot point.

she was talking about the horns iirc and her own reaction to coughing up blood is lowkey as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

She does comment on how weird everyone's lowkey reactions are so that is probably going to be a plot point.

I thought it was more the style of humor than a plot point. Everyone's reactions are a strange mix of realistic and absurdly understated - a nice change of pace from the standard shonen manga style of humor where everyone overreacts to everything.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile... was Roboco a Hunter X Hunter parody without walls of text? Because it felt like that was the gag this week, but I'm not a big enough Hunter fan to have any confidence.
I can finally appreciate the HxH jokes in Roboco because I know we have another batch of chapters coming up so the crushing weight of the hiatus is lifted. Also LOL the JJK drool into black flash. This is the right kind of meta in-comic joke series.

I Am Fowl posted:

Between the oneshot and the first chapter of Ruri Dragon, I have high hopes for it. READY TO HAVE MY HEART BROKEN AGAIN!
We'll see where this goes for sure. I'd rather a short but sweet slice of life than either a protracted series or one that gets the axe.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I liked the first chapter of RuriDragon better than the one shot. But RIP that guy who sat in front of her.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hypocrisy posted:

I liked the first chapter of RuriDragon better than the one shot. But RIP that guy who sat in front of her.

He's fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

He's fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX_hvrVOeI4

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
No harm no foul. They didn’t burn the roots.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Akane's setting us up for a really big hit in the finals, really excited to see what she'll pull off there. The differing reactions of her rivals are neat too; the guy who's already won the thing a few times before is aware of how hard it is to win with Jugemu so think he has it in the bag, while the VA who works in the entertainment industry sees her as a huge threat that she needs to overcome in order to turn the attention towards her. I'm excited to see how the two rivals perform, and to see what Akane will bust out in the finals. Given the whole thing about the original Jugemu story, I'm assuming she's going to work in the original tragic ending into her story and hit the audience with an emotional punch to contrast her first bare-bones Jugemu story.

Aliens Area: Sorta losing me.

Elusive Samurai: I'll admit I did not expect Yorishige to actually be a great fighter himself. It's also interesting because usually the whole "religious figure motivates worshippers to fight to the death" is often used as a negative thing to showcase blind zealotry. Also did not expect his son to team up with Genba to fight the tengu ninja dudes. Pretty interested in seeing how this matchup goes.

Mashle: Immortal dude is pretty rad, too bad he and the rest of his peers will get curbstomped to Mash and his friends can get their required fights in. Also gently caress, I love that the official scans fuckin' parodied the I Lost My Poor Meatball song for the puddin' dude cause I have an unnatural love for that song. Props to the translator.

Ruri Dragon: The one-shot was great, and I'm diggin' the serialization too. Was expecting them to go see the dad like they did in the one-shot, but I guess that's rushing too much. It's a very different type of manga from what I've normally seen in SJ, and I'm digging it a lot! I hope to see this one do great!

Roboco and Me: Very little dialogue but a lot of fun! I'm trying to figure out what the scene of Gori running is a reference to - is it Gon and Killua running during Zeno's Dragon Dive in the Chimera Ant arc? Also the chapter being so full of HxH references made me think Bondo drooling was a Komugi reference that I blanked on the JJK Black Flash reference until I read someone posting about it on r/manga.

Sakamoto Days: This... this is not where I thought the manga would go. Also, I wonder if the JCC arc will only be for the 24 hours that Sakamoto has, or if Shin and Akira and the other students are gonna continue going to their Assassination Classroom while Sakamoto tackles Slur's gang outside of school. I sure hope so, cause the JCC is interesting!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly I thought SJ would be in a bad spot after repeated cancellations and the big stuff ending and whatnot, but stuff like Akane-banashi and Ruri Dragon give me hope for its future.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Honestly I thought SJ would be in a bad spot after repeated cancellations and the big stuff ending and whatnot, but stuff like Akane-banashi and Ruri Dragon give me hope for its future.

agreed, more female protags

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's not going to be in a bad spot for at least a bit, since One Piece, Black Clover, Jujutsu, and MHA still have gas in the tank, but right now it looks like a lot of their big action series are nearing the end of the line with no replacements lined up. (Sakamoto Days is doing well enough, but its numbers are more like pre-anime Demon Slayer than MHA or Chainsaw Man.)

It's not a worry right now, but I'm pretty sure Jump's editors are looking for something that can fill the niche when those end.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

I think they've always had a churn of 3-4 series that debut, under perform for whatever reason, and get axed within a couple dozen chapters. It's just that before they only brought over the successful series instead of everything so it's more obvious to the Western audience.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
This week's Earthchild was...weirdly gripping, for once? Although a lot of that was probably due to the sense of "Wait, is this the final chapter?" created by the flash-forward and the title-drop.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

if weekly shonen jump is in trouble, then the entire manga industry would've been much more obviously in trouble beforehand

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Oh my god, hell must've frozen over!

Eartchild actually had a good chapter. I mean the sudden shift in framing is dumb as hell (even if it isn't the first time they did that) and it's still a little corny with meh dialogue, but in this case the urgency of the dialogue was reinforced by actually showing a rain of bullets perforating Kareri. Maromi also got to be an actual good character in addition to being the only likeable person in this trainwreck.
No one is going to die.
I guess this is the ultimate example of a broken clock being right at least twice a day.

Witch Watch: Hurray! Dumb magic sheninigans! I love these chapters and this was no exception. I'm ready for next week.

Ruri dragon: Loved it. The one shot was great and this was a great first chapter. The humor was fine. The art was solid, though it felt oddly light on the backgrounds in some places. Is Ruri's dragon thing and the response to it also something of an metaphor?

Me and Roboco: I have no idea if it's referencing anything, but it's so dumb it made me laugh out loud.

Sakamoto: Pretty funny that Nagumo's disguise made Sakamoto look like a cross of Nagumo himself and Sakamoto's wife.

Elusive: I didn't expect this from yorishige either, but it was cool.

Mashle: Good to see the Visionaries aren't getting worfed immediately.

Doron: More setup. Cool chapter though.

Edit:
Undead Unluck: I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Why is this series so good when Andy isn't around. This entire chapter was sick and that final spread was amazing.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 13, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apocron posted:

I'm afraid Randoseru are just hideously expensive and although it might not make any sense to you 30,000 yen is actually the very bottom rung of a "decent" one. I'm sure there could be cheaper plastic imitation versions and I have heard about buying ones on sale for 20,000 yen but Pierson is right that the MC gutting himself to provide the most basic version hits different in Japan, the target audience of this comic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randoseru

Google shopping search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E3...1&bih=881&dpr=1

lol wikipedia

"As of January 2012, the five top randoseru in order of popularity at Amazon.co.jp are in the range of 8,280–16,980 yen (76–156 US dollars)."

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Aliens Area: The way the detective mentions the list of crimes aliens commit in Earth and how the response to everything is 'eradication' is some ACAB poo poo. It's not even like Doron Dororon where the Mononoke are spirits who prey on humans and eat them, the aliens here are mostly just people/criminals from other planets.

RuriDragon: The chill vibes in this one may replace the Magu-chan shaped hole in my heart.

Sakamoto Days: NGL, kinda sad that it wasn't Mrs. Sakamoto who gets to do stuff. Though it'd be funny if JCC's rule about not admitting in anyone with a bounty on their head is only for students and Sakamoto didn't even need the disguise at all.

Earthchild: The way the last few chapters keep going on about how "Earthchild parents are so brave for making the Tough Choices on how to raise their kid!" is just gross. Especially when it's trying to lionize poo poo like "should I use the procedure that ages up my kid 10 years?" or "If my kid dies, I may have to choose to forget portions about them, huh?"

Doron Dororon: I wish that instead of Kusanagi learning his lesson this chapter, they had Kusanagi figure Dosan out right from the start. You could've had Kusanagi give a speech about how his time with Doron has taught him what real friendship was like instead of having him act like an idiot and have to be bailed out.

High School Family: The gag at the end where the group of delinquents called out "Ietani" and got the entire family had me in stitches. This is the best gag manga in SJ for me right now. :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tunicate posted:

lol wikipedia

"As of January 2012, the five top randoseru in order of popularity at Amazon.co.jp are in the range of 8,280–16,980 yen (76–156 US dollars)."

Considerably less than the protagonist of Alien Area paid. See? He's terrible at budgeting. Just like the latest chapter is terrible at being a chapter.

It's spending the whole of chapter just getting back to where chapter 1 ended, with the hero delaying taking the job because (???). We also get the rules saying aliens get killed if they break the law, but then there's recommendations to surrender.

There's more effort to establish a reasonable legal framework in Chainsaw Man, and that's about a nearly illiterate ex-Yakuza employee being used as a weapon by Makima.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Checking current Amazon JP for randoseru I see a bunch of results in the 15k to 20k yen range and then a sharp jump up to 50k to 80k yen. It's possible he got one of the higher tier ones at a heavy discount.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

amigolupus posted:

High School Family: The gag at the end where the group of delinquents called out "Ietani" and got the entire family had me in stitches. This is the best gag manga in SJ for me right now. :allears:

Yeah it really punches above its weight. Gomez ftw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 13, 2022

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i loved the Ippo reference in Roboco. Needs more of those

also what a callback to Luffy and Mr 5

UnderFreddy fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 13, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

chiasaur11 posted:

Considerably less than the protagonist of Alien Area paid. See? He's terrible at budgeting. Just like the latest chapter is terrible at being a chapter.

Note the *as of January 2012* that was mentioned there. Prices can change in 10 years I think.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the series is all-around bad enough i dunno why the backpack price is the main thing to crawl up people's butts

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Could have sold a million copies if not for the bad backpack price in the first chapter. Rookie mistake.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

the series is all-around bad enough i dunno why the backpack price is the main thing to crawl up people's butts

yea I didn't think about the price at all and I extremely doubt the target audience of this series did either

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Dandadan can be so cool sometimes....like now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Note the *as of January 2012* that was mentioned there. Prices can change in 10 years I think.

Can, but in Japan they generally don't. Japan isn't immune to inflationary pressures, but if you compare the rate of inflation to many other countries, it's shockingly low. (It's part of why you can still find Gunpla for their original list prices from the 80s whenever Bandai reprints them.)

The bad backpack planning on the part of the hero doomed the manga. All I'm saying.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Rurin Dragon is fun but I can't let Jump hurt me again after Ayashimon

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cloks posted:

Rurin Dragon is fun but I can't let Jump hurt me again after Ayashimon

To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken.

Just keep an eye on the ToC, and be ready to say goodbye if it stays in the bottom five for too long.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Tunicate posted:

lol wikipedia

I think you should quote the whole paragraph:

wikipedia posted:

The randoseru's durability and significance is reflected in its cost. A new randoseru made of genuine or synthetic leather can carry a price tag of around 30,000-40,000 yen at a chain store/supermarket.[8] Typically randoseru from department stores or traditional workshops will be priced in the region of 55,000-70,000 yen, with some models (particularly those branded with logos) reaching over 100,000 yen.[9] Clarino, a synthetic material frequently used as a substitute,[7] reduces the cost somewhat. Often randoseru are available on auction sites in new or used condition at much lower prices, particularly after the start of the Japanese school year in April. As of January 2012, the five top randoseru in order of popularity at Amazon.co.jp are in the range of 8,280–16,980 yen (76–156 US dollars).[citation needed]

I'd wager most if not all of those sub 30,000 ones are plastic. The fact that the MC is scraping to buy a lower end leather bag has two purposes. One is that he is already scraping by but makes a heroic effort to give his younger brother and sister a "normal" backpack for school that won't stand out. The second is that the fact that he is buying the packpack highlights his isolation. Because a school backpack is so expensive in Japan, often grandparents will pay for it or the act of going shopping together for one will be a family experience. For all Aliens Area's shortcomings, I think the struggle to buy the backpack is actually a tidy way of telling us about the MC. Perhaps it falls flat to an international audience that doesn't have the cultural weight associated with those backpacks, but for anyone interested in Japan I thought that understanding a little bit about why that moment was significant was worth discussing.

However, perhaps it is wiser just to let this go because the manga as yet doesn't deserve this kind of analysis. Unless the backpack was an alien in disguise.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I have no idea where Marriage Toxin is going with this, but I loved the conclusion of the arc and the short image of the dude's phone's contact list. This will help us keep track of things.

Also the joke of Kinosaki "taking out" the manager and his assistant in the background was great.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I have no idea where Marriage Toxin is going with this, but I loved the conclusion of the arc and the short image of the dude's phone's contact list. This will help us keep track of things.
That was a surprising and mature uppercut the story delivered from a guy who really is floundering in terms of social grace and tact. I absolutely loved it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, Marriage Toxin is definitely keeping my attention - basically all aspects of it are top notch. My prediction is that our poor protagonist will build a harem around himself without really meaning to and that it will make him absolutely miserable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just fyi. Check your e-mail if you have a Shonen Jump subscription. They’re doing a survey and it asks if they added manga what types of manga you would like to see and if they doubled the amount of manga the service offers what price point you would be cool with. So it looks like they have an eye on expanding the app which would be really cool.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ranked "save reading progress between website and app" as my #1 most wanted feature, because I'm currently rereading One Piece

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

thanks for the heads up 👍

praying the freeform box results in anything, since i suggested putting more stuff from the Jump umbrella on there (Jump+, Jump SQ etc) and some way for the web-only explicit titles to be viewable in an app.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish they'd implement Manga+'s chapter sepration function because it's not fun scrolling down 500+ One Piece chapters.

Also fuckin' put HxH in the vault.

I should check my E-mail.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume that if they're going to add HxH it would be soon since it is coming back.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc Hunter X Hunter and the rest of Togashi’s backlog isn’t going in there because of the arrangement he has with SJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's tragic.