Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lockback posted:

If your use case is gamepass that isn't what you're loading windows for.
https://github.com/BrianLima/UWPHook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

FishMcCool posted:

For file transfers (*cough* ROMs *cough*), I set up sshd here. It just needs a user password to be set with passwd, then a couple sudos to add 2 lines to the sshd_config and enable the daemon. The best thing about it is that I no longer have to bother with desktop mode for transfers, I just filezilla things straight to where they need to be.

This doesn’t sound Christian :colbert:

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

Looks like Steam is also getting more Persona goodness as part of this:
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-best-versions-of-three-persona-games-are-coming-to-xbox-game-pass/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

This doesn’t sound Christian :colbert:

It's fine as long as you delete after 24 hours.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Best versions doing a lot of heavy lifting there when referring to P3P.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yup well... what do you expect... sometimes it makes it seem like its "steam dreck" more than anything

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Stux posted:

yup well... what do you expect... sometimes it makes it seem like its "steam dreck" more than anything

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You're doing the lord's work.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I call it the steam dreck every time I turn mine on

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Please be nice to your deck

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I can’t stop rebuying games I already own on Switch, just picked up both Castlevania collections while on sale.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

loudog999 posted:

I can’t stop rebuying games I already own on Switch, just picked up both Castlevania collections while on sale.
You've done your avatar proud.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Since Destiny 2 doesn’t work has anyone been playing Warframe or The Division 2 on their decks?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Everyone, do yourself a favour and play the Agent 64 demo on your Deck. It just feels right having Goldeneye on this thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Since Destiny 2 doesn’t work has anyone been playing Warframe or The Division 2 on their decks?

It works great if you dual boot windows. I've been playing the poo poo out of destiny ont he Deck. I saw someone post Division 2 running on the deck but I only did 150gb partition for windows so only 1 big game at a time.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 13, 2022

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

henkman posted:

I call it the steam dreck every time I turn mine on

I renamed HDMI 2 on my TV to "Dreck" to automate its correct and proper announcement.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dreck? more like uhhh train wreck!!!!!!!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Envy poo poo posting is weird

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I read "dreck" and think everyone is my chummer

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Hammer Bro. posted:

I renamed HDMI 2 on my TV to "Dreck" to automate its correct and proper announcement.

jokes posted:

Dreck? more like uhhh train wreck!!!!!!!

KakerMix posted:

I read "dreck" and think everyone is my chummer

:imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It works great if you dual boot windows. I've been playing the poo poo out of destiny ont he Deck. I saw someone post Division 2 running on the deck but I only did 150gb partition for windows so only 1 big game at a time.

Yeah like I’m kinda done using windows on these things. The steam experience is just so much better and I know once things are set up it’s dead simple but eh I can’t be assed at this point.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anything bad to watch out for wrt SD cards for the deck?

or go-to reliable/fast SD cards?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Anything bad to watch out for wrt SD cards for the deck?

or go-to reliable/fast SD cards?

I’d avoid Amazon if possible while you might not get a fake it’s definitely a possibility.

Bestbuy will normally have a price that’s close to the same anyway.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Good call. I’ll pop into a micro center. Any reliable brands? Samsung?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SanDisk and Samsung are the go-to's yeah.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think anything can really go wrong if you get a SanDisk off Amazon as long as you make sure you're actually buying it from Amazon and not a third-party marketplace seller.

e.g. don't buy this:

search the other sellers for this instead:

(incidentally, it's really dumb how they'll surface a third party with slower shipping over Amazon, despite both being the same price)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 14, 2022

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

you follow any particular guide for this? this is exactly what i'm hoping to do, just can't find anything because everyone just uses discord or youtube and nothing is googleable anymore :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

you follow any particular guide for this? this is exactly what i'm hoping to do, just can't find anything because everyone just uses discord or youtube and nothing is googleable anymore :argh:

This is the video I followed. Description has links to all the software needed and I managed to do it without a hub or multiple thumb drives. A keyboard is handy but I don’t think you even need that either. (I used a Bluetooth one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6eHHr3b9Ck

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got EmuDeck set up and literally my whole gaming childhood is now on the Deck, integrated right into the SteamOS UI and it's the most loving amazing thing ever. This is a dream device for me. I'm currently doing a playthrough of the PS2 version of Shadow of the Colossus and it's stunning. I can't express how much I love this thing. I'm struggling to get Xemu running through, I only want it for Conker Live and Reloaded but I'm not sure which BIOS files and poo poo I need because I know Xemu requires quite a bit. The PS2 only needed 1 file so that was easy, but there seems to be a lot more to juggle with Xbox. I've played more retro titles on this than I have actual things on my Steam Library.

I also can't wait to see how much of my Switch library runs on this because at this point, why the gently caress not.

The only thing that hasn't worked on my Deck is Microsoft Flight Simulator for some reason, I've seen videos online of it working but it just hangs on a white screen for a minute or two before closing.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think anything can really go wrong if you get a SanDisk off Amazon as long as you make sure you're actually buying it from Amazon and not a third-party marketplace seller.

e.g. don't buy this:

(incidentally, it's really dumb how they'll surface a third party with slower shipping over Amazon, despite both being the same price)

This is not correct. Anything shipping from an Amazon warehouse will bin all the items together that have the same SKU, so a ton of third party sellers will ship a batch of bad cards to Amazon’s warehouses to be shipped from there and they’ll all be mixed together and you could easily get a fake from Amazon proper. It’s remarkably stupid.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

e.g. don't buy this:

Kaboobi posted:

This is not correct. Anything shipping from an Amazon warehouse will bin all the items together that have the same SKU, so a ton of third party sellers will ship a batch of bad cards to Amazon’s warehouses to be shipped from there and they’ll all be mixed together and you could easily get a fake from Amazon proper. It’s remarkably stupid.
Yeah if you must order micro SD cards online just order from Best Buy, almost as cheap as Amazon, free shipping too.

Here's a Samsung micro SD card of the same size and specs for literally only one dollar more than your Amazon Sandisk card.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-pro-plus-256gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-with-adapter/6473930.p?skuId=6473930

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Kaboobi posted:

This hasn’t been true for literally years. Amazon does not commingle direct vending inventory and even 3P inventory that does commingle is done through a pretty strict approval process that would allow them to identify bad suppliers.

Basically sold by Amazon or FBA and you’ll be fine.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Red Robin Hood posted:

This hasn’t been true for literally years. Amazon does not commingle direct vending inventory and even 3P inventory that does commingle is done through a pretty strict approval process that would allow them to identify bad suppliers.

Basically sold by Amazon or FBA and you’ll be fine.

It was still happening as of last year for stuff “sold by Amazon” so YMMV I guess :shrug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Amazon sucks just buy from someone else it's an SD card. Like just drive to a physical store and buy one, order if off notamazon.com or whatever. It's not a huge deal imho

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Kaboobi posted:

It was still happening as of last year for stuff “sold by Amazon” so YMMV I guess :shrug:

Knowing the internal systems, I'm not sure how that would be possible.

KakerMix posted:

Amazon sucks just buy from someone else it's an SD card. Like just drive to a physical store and buy one, order if off notamazon.com or whatever. It's not a huge deal imho

And this. I don't personally care, just don't think people should be worried about getting fake SD cards through Amazon anymore.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have posted in this very thread about how my Steam Deck SanDisk microSD card ordered from Amazon was a total fake. So yeah, this is definitely still a thing, was sold by Amazon itself.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Windows installation following a guide wasn’t hard at all, and once windows and its drivers are installed, it works just like a mini desktop. Unfortunately, desktop is the key word there. With the windows microsd plugged into a hub with a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and Xbox controller, it worked flawlessly, but in handheld mode windows is terrible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is this total overkill for a portable bank for my Deck and all other things electronics? It just looks cool, and overpriced, as all hell: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NY8GN76/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2A5D831U0XISL

Also, I know that the Deck has issues with player 1 controllers on some games if you've got several connected because the built in controller usurps all else and is always player 1. Can you Steam Link your gameplay/audio to a TV wirelessly so you play on your Deck and your friend is just watching on the TV to play?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

I installed Warframe as a "could I slot in a couple missions during lunchtime at work" kind of way, and it's both good and bad.

The good: it works flawlessly out of the box.

The bad: playing Warframe with a controller is like doing neurosurgery wearing kitchen mittens.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

The Division 2 on their decks?

Uplay (or whatever they're calling it now) actually works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I noticed the left trigger on my deck is mushy. Probably not enough to RMA it at this point as it really just makes the trigger feel kind of bleh. Like plastic is making contact where it shouldn't be. Can't decide if this will be annoying enough in the long run to contact valve about.

Apparently this isn't an uncommon problem and it's always with the left one.