Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Technically anywhere directly in front of you is valid but your ears are a little too good at pinpointing where sound is coming from so if you put it above and already high TV it's going to sound weird. I know some mixes don't always use a LCR or RCL pan but when it happens on a setup like that it's odd at best.

Phantom centre is where I'd be going simply because then the TV can be a bit lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My roommate is looking for a new receiver. He likes to run his PC through his receiver via HDMI, sometimes to only play audio and sometimes also as an extended desktop on his TV. He had an older Onkyo that could do this without issue, but it lacked the ability to pass through 4K UHD/HDR. He got a new Yamaha (TSR 700), but attempting to pass through the PC signal makes the video and audio signal cut out, glitch, or the receiver itself will glitch. We're both pretty tech savvy, but can't figure this out. My best guess is that the PC detects both the TV itself and the receiver and gets conflicted. There doesn't seem to be any way to get it to only recognize the receiver. Using any other device has no issue.

Any idea if this is an issue with Yamaha receivers? Or do modern receivers just have an issue with this?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Technically anywhere directly in front of you is valid but your ears are a little too good at pinpointing where sound is coming from so if you put it above and already high TV it's going to sound weird. I know some mixes don't always use a LCR or RCL pan but when it happens on a setup like that it's odd at best.

Phantom centre is where I'd be going simply because then the TV can be a bit lower.

I have in ceiling speakers for the fronts and its totally fine. Nothing weird with it being higher than my screen.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My roommate is looking for a new receiver. He likes to run his PC through his receiver via HDMI, sometimes to only play audio and sometimes also as an extended desktop on his TV. He had an older Onkyo that could do this without issue, but it lacked the ability to pass through 4K UHD/HDR. He got a new Yamaha (TSR 700), but attempting to pass through the PC signal makes the video and audio signal cut out, glitch, or the receiver itself will glitch. We're both pretty tech savvy, but can't figure this out. My best guess is that the PC detects both the TV itself and the receiver and gets conflicted. There doesn't seem to be any way to get it to only recognize the receiver. Using any other device has no issue.

Any idea if this is an issue with Yamaha receivers? Or do modern receivers just have an issue with this?

The Costco Denon mentioned on the previous page. Send that Yamaha thing back, there is a bunch of weirdness with modern HDMI and that Denon has a few of the right ports and at a very reasonable price.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It might just be that receiver/product line. Or it could be the TV? Have you tried a different TV or just using a computer monitor to see if the receiver still gives you problems?

I use a yamaha receiver to handle audio over hdmi on my PC and it works great. idk if it matters but my main displays are still directly connected to my computer. My tertiary monitor is running through the receiver though and I have no issues when I turn it on/off.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Here's a random question. When I had a Vizio soundbar with support for Atmos/DTS/etc., there was a silent 1-2 second pause every time I changed the station. Presumably it was identifying and switching to whichever audio format was currently being broadcast. Is that just a universal thing that happens even with actual receivers, or a cheap soundbar issue?

Sort of unrelated, but I'm on the verge of starting my first real home theater setup. I'm starting cheap and simple with a refurbished TX-SR393 ($240) direct from Onkyo and that $190 Jamo S803 HCS pack. My plan is to sell the S81 center and maybe pick up the larger one later. Our living room situation is just a two-person loveseat directly in front of the tv so we might not need it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Weird problem with my AVR-S760H, just started after an automatic update a few nights ago. When I adjust the volume, the receiver will slowly increase the volume over the next 5-10 seconds. Happens if I use the OEM remote or let CEC control it via my TV.. even happens when turning the physical knob. It's inconsistent, sometimes it will raise from 30 to 50, other times just a few notches.

Anyone else happen to have this problem? I'm not sure if the update is related or not but it didn't do it until after that.

E: nevermind! Rebooting my Vizio TV maybe solved it, it isn't doing it after that. Smart TVs sure can be dumb sometimes

CloFan fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 27, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Denon AVR S760H ($500 at Costco) has a pretty optimal combo of price and up-to-date HDMI specs for home theater and gaming. Your 2.1 or 3.1 on top of that is budget dependent.

This is also $449 on A4L refurbished. I just bought one myself.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs760h/denon-avr-s760h-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Here's a random question. When I had a Vizio soundbar with support for Atmos/DTS/etc., there was a silent 1-2 second pause every time I changed the station. Presumably it was identifying and switching to whichever audio format was currently being broadcast. Is that just a universal thing that happens even with actual receivers, or a cheap soundbar issue?

Sort of unrelated, but I'm on the verge of starting my first real home theater setup. I'm starting cheap and simple with a refurbished TX-SR393 ($240) direct from Onkyo and that $190 Jamo S803 HCS pack. My plan is to sell the S81 center and maybe pick up the larger one later. Our living room situation is just a two-person loveseat directly in front of the tv so we might not need it.

VIZIO- That sounds like probably an old lovely hardware + software issue. I do find that software-controlled tuners on average tend to be slower than analog or digital/analog ones, maybe the immediacy of a physical switch being flipped is just faster than a <$5 CPU running a script and telling a chip to do a thing, but that’s not an across-the-board thing either.

Probably the result of a cheap piece of gear plus its age. Commodity-grade CPUs for stuff like soundbars and ATMOS receivers, streamers, etc have improved in leaps and bounds over the last decade (along with the software being written for them) as phones and other electronics have gotten exponentially more capable too.

Jamo Home Theater- definitely not a bad move in the slightest, but if you’re already wondering if you might not even need a center channel, then I might just push you to start with a pair of floorstanders instead.

If you were planning on stand mounting the 803s anyway then floorstanders will take up the exact same floorspace, and you’ll get a much fuller sound. Then you could also add a center channel later if you wanted it, but two bigger speakers might make one less necessary.

People new to buying “real” home theaters and speakers/etc often try to tiptoe their way in by doing things like undersizing speakers, buying something way cheaper and smaller with the intent to “feel it out and then maybe sell and upgrade in 2-3 years”, and unless you’re specifically limited by budget, your current living situation, your immediate life and housing plans, etc, it’s almost always better to just save up a bit more, maybe wait for a Black Friday if you have to, and get the thing you think you could be happy with for another ~10 or more years.

Speakers and home theater gear for 99% of people should be a “buy once, cry once” experience every decade or two. If you’re starting conservatively because you’re scared or because you expect to flip the old stuff on Craigslist in short order once you “have a better idea” then you’re doing it wrong, IMO.

Reselling the old stuff, especially budget gear, is a pain in the rear end and will probably just result in a $200 speaker set moldering in a box in your garage until the day your 16 year old nephew finds it and asks you for it, so he can use it to blast “old classic rock bands, like Nine Inch Nails and The War On Drugs and Beyoncé” and catboy J-Pop or whatever kids will be listening to then.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have in ceiling speakers for the fronts and its totally fine. Nothing weird with it being higher than my screen.

The Costco Denon mentioned on the previous page. Send that Yamaha thing back, there is a bunch of weirdness with modern HDMI and that Denon has a few of the right ports and at a very reasonable price.

I actually had urged him to get this one since I see it mentioned so often in here. He's leaning toward either that or the Costco Onkyo since his current Onkyo receiver handles the PC input correctly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It might just be that receiver/product line. Or it could be the TV? Have you tried a different TV or just using a computer monitor to see if the receiver still gives you problems?

I use a yamaha receiver to handle audio over hdmi on my PC and it works great. idk if it matters but my main displays are still directly connected to my computer. My tertiary monitor is running through the receiver though and I have no issues when I turn it on/off.

That's the same setup he has. It was a pain but we tried it on my TV too with my laptop and it did the same thing. Sometimes the PC detects the receiver, sometimes it detects the TV, and changing the various HDMI settings doesn't seem to help. Something about this model just doesn't want to communicate well with PCs.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I have a dumb question. I'm looking to get a soundbar (the Vizio m512a-H6) that has Atmos/upward firing speakers. The soundbar has a wall mount - can I mount it on the wall under my tv that is also mounted to the wall?

That is, I'm guessing atmos/upward facing speakers face up and out a little, so it's not like the soundbar needs to be in front of the TV a little, or else it's going to lose its effect by just sorta projecting into the tv's bottom?

I could put it on a cabinet below/in front of the tv but it's a record player with doors on top, so ideally I don't want to have anything blocking access to it, so mounting to the wall would be ideal but just want to double check.

Edit: Dolby themselves have a guide that basically says "Under the TV is fine as long as there's line-of-sight, but in front is a little better

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 3, 2022

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
I have a hardwired speaker setup that I'm looking to make wireless (ie, wireless for audio signals, but wired for electricity - not batteries). I don't know anything about this stuff, but I've read names like Sonos, Audio Pro, and wireless audio protocols like Airplay or Bluetooth Audio and Wireless Audio Extenders and I'm already confused.

The sets of speakers I have are 2.0 and 2.0 in adjacent rooms, but it's open plan so I don't want different audio playing in different areas -- the same music is fine. I'd like to reuse the speakers I have if possible.

The audio source is a Raspberry Pi (running MPD) with a USB DAC that has RCA plugs and Optical Out. I like MPD and don't want to change that. Although I'm capable of doing software janitoring I don't enjoy that and I'm looking for a set-and-forget system.

Presumably I couldn't just buy several of this Logitech audio extender as it wouldn't scale to 2 sets of speakers due to latency problems? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My imagined perfect product would have a base station that takes RCA in and broadcasts it to some widgets for each set of speakers that do RCA out. It would automatically repair the connection, sort out audio latency, etc. I like the modularity of this approach, and I imagine that having compatible parts from the same product at each end of the connection would avoid some tech janitoring.

But really I'm open to any suggestions.

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 9, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm looking for new speakers for my home theater. Currently have:

Receiver: Denon S760
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2 Mk5

I'm looking for a pair of speakers to primarily use for movie/TV watching. Budget is roughly 2k. I have a 65" LG OLED that I don't think I can really fit a speaker under, so I think I'm looking at a 2.1 versus a 3.1 system.

The room in question is about 24 feet x 12 feet in dimension, in the basement (so low ceiling), with only 1 door at the end. The "home theater" area is on one side of the room and about 12'x12', with the viewers about 9' away from the TV (which is located on the long wall).

https://arendalsound.com/product/1723-monitor-s-thx/ which come in a 6.5" and an 8" version.

These have kind of caught my eye, as have the KEF Q950s

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefq950blka/kef-q950-8-2.5-way-floorstanding-speaker-black-each-new/1.html

Any thoughts on how to choose between the two? Would going with floorstanding speakers be overkill for my room/setup?

SigENeaT
Sep 7, 2006

I need to replace an older basic model av receiver and not sure where my post should live, so I am hoping I don't incur the audioholics wrath by posting here.
I am basically trying to pick something in a $1500aud to $3000aud range to do the job, but it feels like I am looking for water in a desert.

Of what I can find in stock, I have been looking at the Yamaha V6A and Denon AVR-X2700H. I have read that Yamaha may have released their latest HDMI 2.1 range devices to the market too early? (Edit: Maybe the RX-A4A is a good target?)
I have a 4k TV, no PS5 or Xbox 2022 edition. I am happy to spend money on something which will give me less grief than my Onkyo did and should keep me happy for another 10 years.

I dunno, seems way too hard. Should I just go spend as much as I am comfortable to spend on a Denon that fits my budget?

Basically, I have a reasonably mid-range Klipsch 5.1 speaker combo which I am happy which which have been driven by an Onkyo TX-SR706 since 2009. The receiver has done a great job sound wise but it has had it's problems (early HDMI passthrough issues requiring servicing, options OSD menu glitching the hell out), however most recently it has begun a death spiral, whereby it takes ~15mins to "warm up" and during this time it will send crackly static and loud "beeping" to all channels randomly, so I leave it muted for 15mins before we want to watch something.. pretty inconvenient for a living room!

So time to replace it! But I guess the great chip shortage of the post covid'pocalypse means that not only do options seem limited, none of the usual companies where I live seem to have stock anything more than a very limited range!
I am in Australia, so the usual USA big box companies aren't available, instead we have JB Hi-Fi, The Good Guys and Harvey Norman.

Here are links to the AV receiver pages for the local companies.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/collections/headphones-speakers-audio?page=1&hitsPerPage=36&Category=AV%20receivers
https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/audio/home-audio/hi-fi-sound-systems
https://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-blu-ray-home-theatre/home-theatre-speakers/av-receivers

Bonus, Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com.au/AV-Receiv...ef=sr_nr_p_89_1

... pretty loving anemic

SigENeaT fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 13, 2022

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Denon X series is good. Do you guys not have the Denon S760? It's a similar, cheaper alternative. I can only find the S650 searching those stores you linked.

Any of those Denon models manufactured since May 2021 don't have the HDMI 2.1 problem.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Residency Evil posted:

I'm looking for new speakers for my home theater. Currently have:

Receiver: Denon S760
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2 Mk5

I'm looking for a pair of speakers to primarily use for movie/TV watching. Budget is roughly 2k. I have a 65" LG OLED that I don't think I can really fit a speaker under, so I think I'm looking at a 2.1 versus a 3.1 system.

The room in question is about 24 feet x 12 feet in dimension, in the basement (so low ceiling), with only 1 door at the end. The "home theater" area is on one side of the room and about 12'x12', with the viewers about 9' away from the TV (which is located on the long wall).

https://arendalsound.com/product/1723-monitor-s-thx/ which come in a 6.5" and an 8" version.

These have kind of caught my eye, as have the KEF Q950s

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefq950blka/kef-q950-8-2.5-way-floorstanding-speaker-black-each-new/1.html

Any thoughts on how to choose between the two? Would going with floorstanding speakers be overkill for my room/setup?

If you want floorstanders/big speakers, def go with floorstanders/big speakers

If your plan is to stick to big 2.1, I’d go with a pair of something cool and kinda weird, like a pair of walnut Wharfedale Lintons, rather than buying a LR set of otherwise normal home theater speakers.

Like the KEFs are fine and all, not personally experienced with Adrenal very much at all, but there’s some really cool poo poo out in the “roughly 2k per pair, give or take” stereo speaker market.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you want floorstanders/big speakers, def go with floorstanders/big speakers

If your plan is to stick to big 2.1, I’d go with a pair of something cool and kinda weird, like a pair of walnut Wharfedale Lintons, rather than buying a LR set of otherwise normal home theater speakers.

Like the KEFs are fine and all, not personally experienced with Adrenal very much at all, but there’s some really cool poo poo out in the “roughly 2k per pair, give or take” stereo speaker market.

I guess my question is whether floor standers are overkill for my space, and if I have ~2k to spend, should I just go for the smaller speakers?

Honestly overwhelmed by the "roughly $2k" speaker market. Seems like there's a ton of poo poo and presumably it's tough to go wrong.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think there’s any science behind this. Just buy well-reviewed speakers that are within your budget and space constraints. Towers are generally better than bookshelves. KEF Q750s are on sale for $600 each on woot. Don’t be afraid to check out Craigslist as well.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I've got kind of a funny question. I just bought a nice, beautiful 65" TV. My previous TV was 55", and unfortunately, what this means is that my bookshelf speakers have lost their premiere location on my TV stand and have been relegated to the floor. What stands do people like for bookshelf speakers? How should I decide how high of a stand to get? My speakers are 12.5" high and my ears are about 40" when sitting on my couch.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

nrook posted:

I've got kind of a funny question. I just bought a nice, beautiful 65" TV. My previous TV was 55", and unfortunately, what this means is that my bookshelf speakers have lost their premiere location on my TV stand and have been relegated to the floor. What stands do people like for bookshelf speakers? How should I decide how high of a stand to get? My speakers are 12.5" high and my ears are about 40" when sitting on my couch.

You want the stands to put the drivers around ear height. I don't have any particular recommendations since they're kind of a commodity. If you are up to putting some screws in studs or some drywall anchors you might also consider mounting them on the wall for a cleaner look that doesn't take up floor space.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Monoprice has some decent heavy stands, companies like Sanus, Solidsteel, Pangea and Kanto make good ones too.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I'm a big fan of the Pangea LS300 stands (varying sizes to accommodate your setup). I fill the two closed legs with a bag of sand from Home Depot + a funnel. The 3rd leg has holes for snaking a cable through.

SigENeaT
Sep 7, 2006

Dogen posted:

Denon X series is good. Do you guys not have the Denon S760? It's a similar, cheaper alternative. I can only find the S650 searching those stores you linked.

Any of those Denon models manufactured since May 2021 don't have the HDMI 2.1 problem.

Thanks for the reply. A quick google found an online store that sells the S760 range
https://www.heynowhifi.com.au/products/denon-avr-s760h-7-2ch-8k-av-receiver-with-voice-control-and-heos-built-in%C2%AE

At $1399, it is the same price as what the company has the X1700h listed for... but aside from wattage per channel, I can't see what the difference is?
https://www.heynowhifi.com.au/products/denon-avr-x1700h-7-2ch-8k-av-receiver-with-3d-audio-voice-control-and-heos-built-in%C2%AE

For reference, my speakers are all 8ohm, centre and surrounds are 50w max input, fronts are both 100w max input. Sub is powered.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
FYI, "max" input is a pretty worthless metric. You want to look for RMS wattage, as it's more of an industry standard and much harder for manufacturers to cheat big numbers by achieving that rating under ultra-favourable conditions. The Max/Peak/PMPO rating can often be up to 5x the RMS rating, or more, by nature of the way the measurement is taken.

If the manufacturer doesn't supply RMS Power ratings at all, that's generally a warning sign to stay away.

That said, 50/100w max is suspiciously low for most hi fi speakers, and almost any AVR on the market can manage at least 50W RMS with all channels driven, which would comfortably drive those.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If the S760 and X1700 are the same price I’d get the X for the improved audyssey, the power figures are kind of a wash.

SigENeaT
Sep 7, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

FYI, "max" input is a pretty worthless metric. You want to look for RMS wattage, as it's more of an industry standard and much harder for manufacturers to cheat big numbers by achieving that rating under ultra-favourable conditions. The Max/Peak/PMPO rating can often be up to 5x the RMS rating, or more, by nature of the way the measurement is taken.

If the manufacturer doesn't supply RMS Power ratings at all, that's generally a warning sign to stay away.

That said, 50/100w max is suspiciously low for most hi fi speakers, and almost any AVR on the market can manage at least 50W RMS with all channels driven, which would comfortably drive those.

This is good advice, thanks :)

The speakers are a 5.1 Klipsch F-1 set. I was quoting figures written on stickers on them and haven’t ever really considered the deeper specifications etc.
Looking at their website doesn’t seem to help me answer your points.

At the end of the day, I have been happy with the speakers and my existing config and if I’m replacing the receiver I don’t want to move backwards in the sound experience.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think there’s any science behind this. Just buy well-reviewed speakers that are within your budget and space constraints. Towers are generally better than bookshelves. KEF Q750s are on sale for $600 each on woot. Don’t be afraid to check out Craigslist as well.

gently caress it, ordered the Arendal 1723 S Monitors and a pair of monoprice stands!

:toot:

Maybe at some point I'll finally mount our TV on the wall so I can use a dedicated center speaker.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Thanks to everybody who provided advice on stands.

Actually, thinking about stands reminded me that maybe I should upgrade my home audio system. I still just have a pair of BS22s I bought 6-7 years ago; I always intended to upgrade somehow but I never did.

Let's say I wanted to make an upgrade. I mainly use my TV for playing video games and watching television; I never listen to music on it (since, well, my understanding is that I would have to spend a lot of money to get speakers that could compete with my Sundaras). My budget is around $500, although I'm flexible. I expect I will spend more in the future, so room to upgrade is good; I'd rather buy one good thing for $500, rather than two mediocre things for $250. Floor speakers are out: I don't like them aesthetically. From what I can tell, my two real options are:

1. Buy a $500 subwoofer, such as the SVS SB-1000, and continue using my budget bookshelf speakers.
2. Buy a $500 pair of bookshelf speakers, and go without a subwoofer (or possibly consider buying a cheapo subwoofer).
3. Buy a $500 pair of bookshelf speakers and enjoy a janky-rear end 4.0 surround sound setup? To be honest this sounds like a terrible idea but I wanted to mention it.

Which would be a better idea?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Those seem to be pretty decent speakers so I’d say adding a sub will be the biggest improvement.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Agreed on getting a subwoofer. SVS SB-1000 or RSL Speedwoofer 10s are good starting points.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 14, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Yeah, I was thinking of the SVS SB-1000. Its small size is attractive to me too, since I live in a midsize apartment.

e: wait I just said that :v:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I just added a Rythmik L12 to my desktop setup and it's great but it's a bit more expensive and I think a bit bigger than the SVS.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PB-1000 is better than the SB-1000 for movies, tv and presumably video games. I don’t know the science behind it but I googled it previously. If you’re not listening to music and you have the space, take the PB-1000.

Relatedly, I got my PB-1000 Pro used on Amazon. They have authorized resellers there and it comes like brand new. There was no signs it was used, and it came with a nice discount.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm looking for a new receiver. I currently have a Sony STR-DG510 that I'm looking to upgrade to something with modern features - HDMI ARC, bluetooth, etc. Right now I just run a 2.0 setup, but at some point in the future will go back to 5.0. So far this all seems pretty standard I'm sure, but my complication is that my speakers are these crazy ridiculous Fluance AC938s with each having a built-in 10" subwoofer. (hence ".0" above instead of including a separate sub)

Is it worth looking for something that can put some extra wattage into these things because of the subs? They're bi-amp capable, should I even bother looking for a receiver that is compatible? I'm not an audiophile and honestly they've been sounding fine to me, but maybe I'm missing out on something and just don't know better?

Thanks!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Those appear to be reasonably efficient speakers so unless you’re listening at super high volume you probably won’t gain anything from more power. My speakers have two 8” woofers each and are slightly less efficient, and a good 100 wpc amp is more than enough even when I want to crank them.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Vegetable posted:

PB-1000 is better than the SB-1000 for movies, tv and presumably video games. I don’t know the science behind it but I googled it previously. If you’re not listening to music and you have the space, take the PB-1000.

Relatedly, I got my PB-1000 Pro used on Amazon. They have authorized resellers there and it comes like brand new. There was no signs it was used, and it came with a nice discount.

Honestly, I was thinking that the inferior frequency response below 20hz of the SB-1000 was actually a good thing for me. I'm in an apartment building, and while it's one of those nice new buildings with concrete between floors, I know subwoofer sound can travel a lot.

Actually, thinking about it, is it a good idea to have a subwoofer in an apartment at all? Is it worth having one if I have to turn it down low enough to not bother the neighbors? If I wanted to, is there electronic equipment I could use to cut the legs out from under my subwoofer and put a high-pass filter at 40hz so I don't bug them as much?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nrook posted:

Honestly, I was thinking that the inferior frequency response below 20hz of the SB-1000 was actually a good thing for me. I'm in an apartment building, and while it's one of those nice new buildings with concrete between floors, I know subwoofer sound can travel a lot.

Actually, thinking about it, is it a good idea to have a subwoofer in an apartment at all? Is it worth having one if I have to turn it down low enough to not bother the neighbors? If I wanted to, is there electronic equipment I could use to cut the legs out from under my subwoofer and put a high-pass filter at 40hz so I don't bug them as much?

I have a subwoofer in an apartment (70's, so very much concrete). I'm a parent though so I never get to crank the sound at night. I doubt the neighbours have even noticed I have it. It still provides some better bottom, even though it's only used at low levels, because my bookshelves just can't deliver much bass on their own. Can't say it's indispensible though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have an SB-1000 in a small apartment, and it's fine. Between it being adjusted correctly and not boomy, and Audussey dynamic EQ/loudness, it's rather discreet.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 16, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nrook posted:

I have a similar sized sub in an apartment with wood sub-floors, in my experience it's fine as long as you're not a dick about it [of course your neighbors may vary]. One big thing is making sure you place it correctly so you get good response at your main listening position and don't need to push it to hear the bass. The way nulls are in a room you could be sending more bass to your neighbors than yourself. If you are someone who could live without a sub that probably means you're not going to crank it to max and listen to dubstep all day either.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think a subwoofer is always a plus. I enjoy mine even when casting YouTube videos to the TV. I already had great freagin tower speakers but the subwoofers were still clearly a step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The damping feet SVS sells actually works, too. Would recommend for apartment use.