Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Nah, Hughie's loving up big time but I understand why he's made the choices he's made and tbh I don't think he really ever fully processed the trauma of watching his girlfriend get run over by an A-Train and not having the power to do anything to stop it or hold him accountable.

That boy needs therapy.

He needs revenge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of the best lines in the season was Homelander’s joke about Stan’s blood pressure. He’s just a total alien, his entire life is just a series of completely inhuman interpersonal interactions that no one of Earth should ever have. He can tell when you’re gonna fart before you can, he can hear when you’re scared, he can smell when you’re lying. Poor Ryan, no wonder he’s so hosed up. Mallory probably has to coach him to stop eavesdropping on people’s guts and listening to them sleep

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Terror Sweat posted:

He needs revenge!

Did Hughie teleport or just run so fast his clothes came off last episode? Because if the latter him running through A-Train might be poetic justice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just Chamber posted:

Did Hughie teleport or just run so fast his clothes came off last episode? Because if the latter him running through A-Train might be poetic justice.

Teleport

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Avasculous posted:

You're right. Ryan also said something to Butcher about his blood smelling wrong.

Hughie probably thinks Neumann shares this ability because she saw through his herpes bluff and ate his bagel.

The blood smelling wrong thing was definitely weird, but I think Neumann just saw through Hughies absolutely lovely poker face.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chamale posted:

Homelander and Ryan have both shown the ability to detect someone's pulse, so sensing a fake broken bone seems plausible.

I just assumed it was part of the not-Superman powerset, not that all supes can potentially smell things in blood.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, this current tangent kind of reminds me of the idiotic "mutants are immune to ionizing radiation/gamma rays" logic from X-Men: First Class.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i miss when radiation and toxic waste just gave you sweet powers

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

gonna sneak into ukraine and go hug the elephant’s foot

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Khanstant posted:

i miss when radiation and toxic waste just gave you sweet powers

It might still, just go to any lake in America and find out

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

seaborgium posted:

The blood smelling wrong thing was definitely weird, but I think Neumann just saw through Hughies absolutely lovely poker face.

I was being facetious about that.

I definitely thought they were going to hold off on him discovering Neumann, so they could make more of his flirty relationship with her and his cringey call-out of Annie.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Saying someone would sniff/smell it out is a pretty common turn of phrase. Neuman doesn’t literally have bone-smelling powers.

This thread gets silly.

On actual content terms, MM mentioned at sone point his dad died “slumped over a desk” or something to that effect so I assumed they took the comic backstory of him being so obsessed with bringing down Vought he literally worked himself to death over it. Which ties into MM’s obsessive personality somewhat well.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Panfilo posted:

[A-Train] straight up admits, "I'm Michael Jordan, not Malcolm X". He's very much a celebrity athlete that isn't about to rock the boat too hard, especially now with his heart problems.

Yes. It's a major part of the show's critique of capitalism: nobody's efforts to change the system are genuine because everyone is compromised by capital, by their personal need for wealth or power or fame or influence.

A-Train doesn't actually care about social justice or his African roots, certainly never did before, but he landed on it as a believable marketing pivot now that his career as a superhero is over. The completely empty virtue signaling in his energy drink ad makes that pretty clear. He's only as progressive as Vought will allow him to be, and has no qualms defending that very lovely status quo if it keeps him relevant.

I don't think he's a literal sociopath, so I'm sure he does care that Blue Hawk is a racist who murders Black people. But he's also not going to risk anything over it. He'd tell Homelander about the plot on his life because, when it comes to it, he'll do anything to hold onto whatever tenuous power or influence remains to him. A-Train's brother pitched the idea that he give it all up, become a normal civilian again, and that premise was an absolute non-starter for him.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Xealot posted:

Yes. It's a major part of the show's critique of capitalism: nobody's efforts to change the system are genuine because everyone is compromised by capital, by their personal need for wealth or power or fame or influence.

A-Train doesn't actually care about social justice or his African roots, certainly never did before, but he landed on it as a believable marketing pivot now that his career as a superhero is over. The completely empty virtue signaling in his energy drink ad makes that pretty clear. He's only as progressive as Vought will allow him to be, and has no qualms defending that very lovely status quo if it keeps him relevant.

I don't think he's a literal sociopath, so I'm sure he does care that Blue Hawk is a racist who murders Black people. But he's also not going to risk anything over it. He'd tell Homelander about the plot on his life because, when it comes to it, he'll do anything to hold onto whatever tenuous power or influence remains to him. A-Train's brother pitched the idea that he give it all up, become a normal civilian again, and that premise was an absolute non-starter for him.

This quote is very funny because as woke and now meta-woke this show is, it's in the same situation as A-train. it gets to mock corporate woke bullshit but Amazon does just as much trite pandering while doing all the bad things we all know they do.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

This quote is very funny because as woke and now meta-woke this show is, it's in the same situation as A-train. it gets to mock corporate woke bullshit but Amazon does just as much trite pandering while doing all the bad things we all know they do.

Honestly, given how multi-faceted and widespread the Vought empire is, it shocked me that Amazon appears to exist in The Boys universe when its corporate cameo early in the season popped up.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Avasculous posted:

You're right. Ryan also said something to Butcher about his blood smelling wrong.

Hughie probably thinks Neumann shares this ability because she saw through his herpes bluff and ate his bagel.

So, I know that Neumann is a mass murderer, but on the other hand, the bagel scenes were very cute and made me like her more than half of our protagonists

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

surf rock posted:

So, I know that Neumann is a mass murderer, but on the other hand, the bagel scenes were very cute and made me like her more than half of our protagonists

OTOH a food thief so brazen wouldn't hesitate for a second to steal co-worker's lunches right out of the fridge so in her own way she's worse than Homelander.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

On the other hand, :swoon: Claudia Doumit.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

No one brought up Homelander not knowing about Black Noir's deep history with Stan Edgar, or Edgar's puppetmaster like control over Black Noir. I could see Noir getting wired up with cameras by Edgar and inadvertently livestreaming the next Vought superhero teamup to the internet. If that next meetup is Herogasm like it is in the comics version of The Boys, yeah that would be fun.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

christmas boots posted:

OTOH a food thief so brazen wouldn't hesitate for a second to steal co-worker's lunches right out of the fridge so in her own way she's worse than Homelander.

Some people just never learned how to to ask for people's food, or their bagel.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 14, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bust Rodd posted:

I like to imagine that Starlight is making a late night PBJ after work and lazily screwing back on the cap with a 600 horsepower death grip which is why Hewie needs her help every morning

I've been thinking about this post a lot today and I like it more and more

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

On the other hand, :swoon: Claudia Doumit.

stealin ur foodz

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Some people just never learned how to to ask for people's food, or their bagel.

Lol

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I think they call him Frenchie because his accent sounds like a French person speaking English.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
how can something be "your food" if it not in your mouth or belly?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

stealin ur foodz

Very much prefer this'un:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

drunken officeparty posted:

I think they call him Frenchie because his accent sounds like a French person speaking English.

They call him Frenchie because he's French. Nina calls him Sergei because it's the Russian form of Serge.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

In MM’s closet full of old newspaper clippings it was implied that supes back in the day were “cleaning up the streets”* no doubt because of mallory flooding the poor areas with drugs

So it seems MM’s family were caught in the crossfire.

*of black people

One of the first clippings of Soldier Boy that MM pulls out has bold font that says 'Harlem family caught in crossfire' and I guessed that was his family/the case his dad was trying to fight Vought on.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i thought he just really loved mustard

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

tokin opposition posted:

Yeah, I think about this aspect a lot. Because I do think the writers of the show are expressing a genuine critique, and also it's absurd this is an Amazon Original. Clearly, Amazon doesn't need to censor the message, because why bother? What are people going to do, not engage with corporate capitalism? Good luck.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You guys seem oddly obsessed over people getting powers based on psychology. Remember, usually it's infants getting this stuff and the power set is random as hell. That's why they have the super orphanage. Some parents get Starlight, some parents get the kids from the animated show.

I don't think the situation with Deep's wife is anything more than a power hungry Karen trying to get more and more power. Like any army base has a few dozen of these "DO YOU KNOW WHO MY HUSBAND IS" crazy ladies. The only diff is this crazy one has latched onto a guy with international fame and the iq of a wombat. Of course she's gonna scheme to get him in a better position. Hell, I won't be surprised if she doesn't throw herself at Homelander before the season is over.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tokin opposition posted:

If this satire had teeth, A-train would have been kidnapped by the justice system and forced to work as Vought Logistics' fastest package picker seasons ago

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think the situation with Deep's wife is anything more than a power hungry Karen trying to get more and more power... Hell, I won't be surprised if she doesn't throw herself at Homelander before the season is over.

You're predicting she'll be 100% faithful to the Deep?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Soldier Boy had nothing to do in the tank but read theory so he's going to be a repentant ally.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I think about this aspect a lot. Because I do think the writers of the show are expressing a genuine critique, and also it's absurd this is an Amazon Original. Clearly, Amazon doesn't need to censor the message, because why bother? What are people going to do, not engage with corporate capitalism? Good luck.

Homelander seems to echo this with the way he taunts Victoria and Starlight. "You want to stop me? Go ahead, try to kill me, see what happens."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Soldier Boy had nothing to do in the tank but read theory so he's going to be a repentant ally.

The Russians turned him into a tankie.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think the situation with Deep's wife is anything more than a power hungry Karen trying to get more and more power.

I thought it was funny that her first appearance this season was asking Deep "what was that?" with deep concern after Homelander stares him down. It seemed like she was shocked and sympathetic over the bullying.

After seeing her watch the octopus scene with a downright sadistic expression, it's clearer what she actually meant.

I am wondering if she has powers.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Posadist theory.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Avasculous posted:

I thought it was funny that her first appearance this season was asking Deep "what was that?" with deep concern after Homelander stares him down. It seemed like she was shocked and sympathetic over the bullying.

After seeing her watch the octopus scene with a downright sadistic expression, it's clearer what she actually meant.

I am wondering if she has powers.

Instead of popping heads she implodes balls

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

posadist comrade homelander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Avasculous posted:

"don't embarrass me in front of Homelander" is how it read to me.