Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Has anyone ever written/video essayed a retrospective on launch D3? poo poo was wild. D3 has changed so much since then and that game basically doesn't exist anymore.

Here's the essay:

I spent six hours trying to log in to a game that seemed hell bent on not allowing me to play.

That's the review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mr Beens posted:

Map "move to" to space or something else easy to press from wherever you have your hands for ability hotkeys. Reduces 80% of clicking.

I never thought of doing that... I will give that a shot!

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lf3aE3h5DE
raw-rear end necro gameplay footage

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean if that's what you want there are tons, probably literally hundreds if not thousands, of indie roguelikes that do basically that.

Even then I think that even the most basic as gently caress asci roguelike is more playable than D1, because at least there you can move as fast as you can click. The thing that just loving murders D1 is the walk-only pacing. It's not too bad when you're actively creeping to try and slowly pull monsters one or two at a time, but when you've cleared most of a level and you're looking for the exit to the next one (inevitably in the 2x2 square of poo poo that's still fog-of-war'd) it gets tedious as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I really, REALLY wanted to like D1. I have good memories of it from when I was a kid, but jesus poo poo it just is not fun to play today. Just stick a run function in it (edit: in the dungeons - I know that the expansion added it for Tristam) and it would probably be good to go.

Look at this scrub not using teleport.

Jokes aside I can totally see burning out on D1 because the last couple areas are a pain in the rear end but I haven't seen an indie roguelike hit the same atmospheric beats.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Force move on mousewheel down has worked the best for me.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to temper my expectations but Diablo 4 looks loving incredible and I can't help but be excited for it.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I said I was going to wait for it to go on sale but I went and picked up the enhanced edition of Diablo 3 today. Now I have to agonize over the class choice until I have time to play

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I said I was going to wait for it to go on sale but I went and picked up the enhanced edition of Diablo 3 today. Now I have to agonize over the class choice until I have time to play

Do you care about being top of the ladder, being able to kill poo poo the fastest, and numbers being your mental lube while fingering your butt? Monk is your best class.

Apart from that, decide if you like being Ranged or Melee, and go from there - enjoy yourself, D3 has been out long enough that it really doesn't matter, have fun! :3:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

all of them

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Necromancer pets are way more fun than Witchdoctor imo.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Diablo IV will hopefully have a much better main story since the Blizzard old guard responsible for all of the terrible writing, is gone now and outed as the sex pest weirdos that they were. Although it wouldn't surprise me if there is no improvement either.

we already got the second best thing (the opening cinematic, which was amazing). all that's left now is the ending cinematic (which will also be pretty amazing as they don't really screw those up).

with the rate blizz is going downhill these days, i'm doubtful that they'll actually do additional cinematics in between.

:edit: this just popped up on youtube, as if they knew i was posting about diablo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsycAgAZk_w

Last King fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 14, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I think that's actually the best summary of diablo immortal yet, plus it's only 7 minutes

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Wyatt Cheng seems like a dude who actually likes Diablo. Wonder what he really thinks about the whole immortal fiasco without the massive PR filter.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This video is so cool. The art design is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-HtDwwuRFs

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Virtue posted:

Wyatt Cheng seems like a dude who actually likes Diablo. Wonder what he really thinks about the whole immortal fiasco without the massive PR filter.

Considering that he's personally been the main driving force behind making D:I happen, it's not like something he just got stuck with and he's been the lead on it for half a decade. His main thought seems to be that it's going to make him rich as hell because diablo fans are idiots and will throw money at anything with deckard cain in it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

wyatt think he david brevik when really he jay wilson

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Virtue posted:

He’s probably really happy he has been able to hide behind the image of a bumbling game dev when in reality he’s a money grubbing leech without morals

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
game developers are not charities

they just want to make money so they can have bigger swimming pools with big-titty hookers in them, just like how you and me would have done exactly what he's done if we were in his position

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

You got any more stupid poo poo you want to say, or is that gonna be it for the day? I personally don't try to hustle my customers out of more than they want to spend, but maybe that's where we differ.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

If you don't fleece your customers for every last penny you're basically a charity.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

an iksar marauder posted:

You got any more stupid poo poo you want to say, or is that gonna be it for the day? I personally don't try to hustle my customers out of more than they want to spend, but maybe that's where we differ.

Your swimming pool must be pretty small

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

an iksar marauder posted:

And you’ll never be a project lead for Blizzard with that attitude!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Your swimming pool must be pretty small

I swim in the ocean with my wife the little mermaid

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay now that's weird - I came back to my PS4 just now and despite having a level 70 (63) Monk that I played as a Seasonal character, I do NOT have adventure mode unlocked for non-seasonal characters (including the Monk, since he's been converted).

given the low Paragon level I guess I didn't play him all that much into the endgame, but now I'm wondering exactly what it is that does unlock Adventure Mode, because apparently just getting to 70 doesn't cut it

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Playing through the story unlocks adventure mode. I believe you only have to do it once though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nostrata posted:

Playing through the story unlocks adventure mode. I believe you only have to do it once though.

but I didn't do that on my Switch - I started a Seasonal character and played through nothing but Adventure Mode then, and now Adventure Mode for non-seasonals is unlocked there

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Switch had adventure mode unlocked from the start.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nostrata posted:

Switch had adventure mode unlocked from the start.

so it's a Switch-specific feature that wouldn't apply to any other platform?

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Correct. The PC/ PS/ Xbox version made you play through the story to unlock adventure mode. The switch didn't, I assume because it came out so much later than the other versions.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bardeh posted:

I'm trying to temper my expectations but Diablo 4 looks loving incredible and I can't help but be excited for it.

Think of it like this: Have you ever seen an advertisement for a videogame where the game didn't look awesome? Every lovely videogame I ever bought looked incredible in the promotional material.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yes, there are many ads/trailers that look unappealing at best. The wide reaction to Sonic Frontiers was very negative.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

emdash posted:

Yes, there are many ads/trailers that look unappealing at best. The wide reaction to Sonic Frontiers was very negative.

Wasn't that some pre-release footage or something at an event, not a trailer?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“I’ve played Diablo 3 for 5,000 hours and for over 10 years. Therefore, Diablo 4 will be bad”

LoL

It’s gonna be good

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

It's reasonable to temper expectations but from what I have seen so far regarding D4 has me hoping.

D3 on launch was a shitshow and I never thought they would suck it up and can the auction house and the end game philosophy (there was no paragon system at lauch for those who weren't there).

I'm sure blizz will try some poo poo regarding monetisation and its up to us to keep them in line.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

“I’ve played Diablo 3 for 5,000 hours and for over 10 years. Therefore, Diablo 4 will be bad”

LoL

It’s gonna be good

My dude, did you buy D3 at launch?

I did. poo poo was loving ROUGH.

Like not straight up awful to the point that I wished I hadn't bought it, but I beat the campaign and didn't pick it back up for something like three years.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I played d3 for hundreds of hours because there was no alternative

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I strongly suspect that blizz has it in them to make a good arpg. I mean, poo poo, even the reviews of Immortal say that it's a pretty solid arpg minus the criminally exploitive paid systems.

The real concern is how bullshit the paid crap in D4 is going to be. They say "just cosmetics" but A) you're a fool if you trust them at this point and B) that can mean anything from a battlepass to paid hats to lol transmogs cost money now

They seem to be drinking from the F2P firehose these days. I saw that Overwatch 2 is going to be F2P also and we all know how scummy (retail priced) Overwatch 1 is with cosmetic micro.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I bought Diablo 3 after RoS launched and it was still thoroughly mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wasn't that some pre-release footage or something at an event, not a trailer?

It doesn't really matter. The point is that video handpicked and carefully cut to make games look good obviously does not always achieve its goal. Maybe this is just because I'm old and cynical.