Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IMO It’s not that they can’t do anything about the mercs exactly, but that they can’t do anything in the immediate situation without escalating an already fraught situation further. A bloodbath doesn’t actually serve their interests here which is also why Evrart has been rattling that saber and banking on Joyce blinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
joyce had called krenel's leadership and told them to pull the unit out before she ever spoke to harry, but the order took time to clunk through the company's comms and the mercs weren't listening. she's pretty much taken it as a given that they would make their move before their supervisors brought the hammer down

there is not in fact a whole lot that someone with a big bank account can do against a trained guerilla unit with top of the line arms, besides speak to the manager

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Import more mercenaries to take them down. Can't see how this plan could go wrong.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Gaius Marius posted:

Import more mercenaries to take them down. Can't see how this plan could go wrong.

With high enough half light and/or ultraliberal dialogue options taken, harry and kim are the more mercenaries. In a way.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Now I'm no big brain corporate mastermind like you all clearly are but personally if I wanted to hire goons to rough up some longshoremen a little and didn't kinda want an atrocity to break out I'd probably hire literally anyone other than the special forces rapemurder squad. Maybe say "no" when they try to smuggle their machinegun to the strikebreaking I can't afford to have hit the headlines, idk

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 14, 2022

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If you pry hard enough, you find out she owns a majority share, meaning she can't be outvoted.

Edir: which kind of follows the pattern with how much she lies to you.

Is that a majority share as in 51% or as in she owns the largest single block of shares? I read it as the latter with there being enough folks to over-ride her.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oxxidation posted:

joyce had called krenel's leadership and told them to pull the unit out before she ever spoke to harry, but the order took time to clunk through the company's comms and the mercs weren't listening. she's pretty much taken it as a given that they would make their move before their supervisors brought the hammer down

there is not in fact a whole lot that someone with a big bank account can do against a trained guerilla unit with top of the line arms, besides speak to the manager
She could deploy the psionic power of her net worth against the mercenaries, immediately silencing them. Why does Joyce not do so?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Now I'm no big brain corporate mastermind like you all clearly are but personally if I wanted to hire goons to rough up some longshoremen a little and didn't kinda want an atrocity to break out I'd probably hire literally anyone other than the special forces rapemurder squad. Maybe say "no" when they try to smuggle their machinegun to the strikebreaking I can't afford to have hit the headlines, idk

She’s a billionaire, not a genius.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Oxxidation posted:

any analysis of joyce that fails to mention her pale exposure is also incomplete. the earlier statement that she's "definitely someone who watches the West Wing" is precisely incorrect - rather than being someone who partakes and believes in a doctored, sanitized reality where she's inherently righteous and reasonable (as the average moralintern agent does), she's been mainlining raw reality to the point where it literally keeps her up at night. the waves of history crash against her mind and leave her with few illusions as to her place in the world and her corrosive influence on it, but its totality also leaves her feeling unable to exert positive change even with her staggering wealth and power. her only outright lies to harry revolve around her class and status (down to her absurdly bougie first name), and it comes from a place of actual embarrassment, because admitting her status in this situation also means confessing her impotence

it's a kind of self-serving fatalism: she's a senior partner in wild pines and a member of the board, but so what? there are other partners and other board members. she's one of the richest people on the planet, but so what? there are others who are just as rich or richer and they don't share her view of things. her self-effacement is a defense mechanism - someone could very plausibly accuse her of not wanting to rock the boat because it would threaten her own comfort, and she'd agree without hesitation, because that's exactly what one should expect from a nether creature of the forbidden swamp. the union standoff in martinaise probably caught her interest because in part because it vindicates her learned helplessness, since all her wealth and influence still can't make the claire brothers budge. but it also can't call back a few tweaked-out mercenaries with automatic rifles, so in the end she admits defeat and sails off - the only course of action someone as passive as joyce could have taken, but also an attempt to preserve one of the few places she has some actual sentimentality for

joyce would be extremely dull if she really was the reptilian self-serving capitalist overlord she casts herself as. instead she's an example of how the machinery of capitalism subsumes everyone who participates in it, even the ones at the top. as steinbeck put it

she should be one of the most powerful people in revachol, but all her power is tied up in wild pines, which is interested first and foremost in the preservation of wild pines. this is another contrast to the claires' voracious takeover of the docks. they might have just a handful of teamsters and a yard of shipping crates, but the Union isn't fettered by institutional inertia or self-preservation - in that sense, it really is an organization "of the people," even if those people are primarily the claires.

Richard M. Nixon: It's OK, Bob, we're just rapping, my friends and I. In fact we agree on a lot of things, don't we?

Young Student: No, we don't! You say you want to end the war, so why don't you?

Richard M. Nixon: Change always comes slowly. I pulled out more than half the troops. I'm trying to cut the military budget for the first time in 30 years. I want a volunteer army. But it's also a question of American credibility, our position in the world.

Student #1: Come on, Mr. Nixon. It's a civil war between Vietnamese.

Young Student: You don't want the war, we don't want the war, the Vietnamese don't want the war, so why does it go on?

[Nixon hesitates. Haldeman whispers "We should be going" to him]

Young Student: You can't stop it, can you? Even if you wanted to. Because it's not you, it's the system. The system won't let you stop it.

Richard M. Nixon: There's... there's more at stake here than what you want, or what I want.

Young Student: Then what's the point? What's the point of being President? You're powerless!

Richard M. Nixon: [Firmly] No. No, I'm not powerless. Because, because I understand the system, I believe I can, uh, I can control it. Maybe not control it totally, but tame it enough to make it do some good.

Young Student: Sounds like you're talking about a wild animal.

Richard M. Nixon: Yeah, maybe I am.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

it isn't hard to consider that joyce, although a very powerful member of the board, simply got outflanked by another member of the board who decided to be more proactive about the matter than her, which is

Oxxidation posted:

excellent post

what is also stated here. Large, terrible corporation-beasts like Wild Pines and Krenel are also sluggish by their own nature, which lead to their own self-made disasters: think British Petroleum/Shell director-level members not listening to their engineers about the necessary investments to avoid disasters even when they are imminent, because by doing so they have to admit that there was a fault in the first place, which leads to bullshit like "wait we cannot solve this right on think of the PR", which then requires a shitload of bullshit meetings to draft a public approach plan and so on and so forth

Krenel sending another squad to rein the mercs would have been propagandized by the Union and would make the Moralintern look bad by letting mercenaries run amok in Revachol, when Martinaise can be seen from the World Bank building in the setting, which would be completely unacceptable in terms of decorum and taste from the battalions of Sunday Friends working there

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i love that i can see 80 new replies in a games thread and it's neither drama nor a new expansion. as nice as the latter would be, it's just a lot of really good and interesting discussion. it's a real testament to the game's writing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On this second playthrough, now that Im finding things I never did the first time like Harrier's case notes, I understand that in the writers head they had the inkling someone would want to play like me and they chose to not invest time in that path.

Which makes it funny, in a sense, because you can still do it and get no reward which, on a meta level works but remains unsatisfying when all else has responses.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

disco elysium literary level will remain unbeatable until za/um's next it seems

my own opinions on the game's text have evolved over the last three years and holy poo poo it only grows better as I read/learn new poo poo and figure out more ideas. I thought Joyce's and Evrart's juxtaposition was brilliant back then at release, but with the passing of time, it's ridiculously good. It's quite possibly the greatest character contrast study in videogames

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s implied they’ll kill absolutely everyone too. Not just the Hardies. Wasps killing all the bees.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think the Real Estate Agent gives me the heebies more than most other characters in the game

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Literally none of these guys are in any position to inherit the union lol, this is a list of the most expendable thugs in (and for some reason out of) the union. The Claires represent an entire implied bureaucratic apparatus that doesn't get speaking roles because it's not a game about interviewing every single union member or explaining how the cards get printed

That was what I described them as.

The Claires do not represet an implied bureaucratic apparatus, the game is explicit that they've had anyone with any leadership potential murdered, which is how they keep effortlessly job swapping way past their term limits. They have no intention of ever stepping down, they have liquidated anyone who might replace them, they have undermined and discredited the system that selects the union membership, and they have normalised a system that is utterly corrupt at the top.

The next person who takes over the Union will not be someone who believes in the Union, or who is the choice of the workers, it will be someone who makes the best offer to the thugs.

e: also their long term plan for the port is literally become a narco-state.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 14, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Heath posted:

I think the Real Estate Agent gives me the heebies more than most other characters in the game

Yeah, it's one thing to support an unfair state that empowers yourself, it's another to do it when you never will gain anything from it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s implied they’ll kill absolutely everyone too. Not just the Hardies. Wasps killing all the bees.

Hell by the time of the tribunal the tally marks on one of the merc's gun suggests that they've already killed at least three people, and it's unclear whether those killings occured after they were considered to have gone off mission by Wild Pines.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Alchenar posted:

That was what I described them as.

The Claires do not represet an implied bureaucratic apparatus, the game is explicit that they've had anyone with any leadership potential murdered, which is how they keep effortlessly job swapping way past their term limits. They have no intention of ever stepping down, they have liquidated anyone who might replace them, they have undermined and discredited the system that selects the union membership, and they have normalised a system that is utterly corrupt at the top.

The next person who takes over the Union will not be someone who believes in the Union, or who is the choice of the workers, it will be someone who makes the best offer to the thugs.

e: also their long term plan for the port is literally become a narco-state.

at the point the Claires took power, the union election system was already destroyed to the point that the only viable candidates were the Claires and one company plant. They "undermined and discredited" this system fairly simply by killing the company man Wild Pines had put all their planning into; they're not suggested to be out there stalking the night assassinating anyone in Martinaise who shows any affinity for paperwork so none can usurp their dread organizational/secretarial powers, that's silly. It is true that they are not in a huge rush to step down and create a new impossible-to-subvert system for transitioning power in the union, though it's kind of a moot point given the opportunity to do anything like that won't exist anyway until Wild Pines's influence has been eliminated, and they're hard at work on making that happen.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 14, 2022

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Lurking this thread for pro tips, tricks, strats. It's extremely helpful to finally grasping the depth of this game, especially recent Joyce chat. I genuinely thank you all, all. Three serious playthroughs, many failed runs, first time on Nintendo Switch.

The maligned Nintendo Switch version is shockingly "O.K." in my opinion.

Heath posted:

Samovar posted:

Yeah, it's one thing to support an unfair state that empowers yourself, it's another to do it when you never will gain anything from it.

Bedbugs. It's the bedbugs. They are swarming immediately next to her. You may or may not spot them. If you've ever been lied to about bedbugs, she should fill you with a holy rage.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Switch version took a few patches to get its poo poo together.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

on interesting discussion topics, it was incredibly loving neat that if you discuss the Pale in the commie quest, they forward the case that the Pale might very well be historical inertia/nostalgia/reaction compressed into material form, which makes revolution (not necessarily major-R Revolution but the revolutionary New) the only thing capable of beating it back

there was a lot in the subtext stating that in the previous cut but having them explicitly put it like that (on the "here's what our game is loving about in case you have missed the point" quest nonetheless) was really nice

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

That theory of the pale perfectly aligns with the strongly-hinted at idea that the freshness of anodic music will counter the influence of the hole in the church. It's a neat concept.

It also makes me wonder if the church itself might have had a similar effect when it was first built and architecturally novel. And, along those lines, if the congregation would have suppressed the pale as effectively as the ravers when the message of the church was new.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 14, 2022

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Ersatz posted:

It also makes me wonder if the church itself might have had a similar effect when it was first built and architecturally novel. And, along those lines, if the congregation would have suppressed the pale as effectively as the ravers when the message of the church was new.

Thought this was implied. The church being sort of like the Chernobyl sarcophagus in dialogue, paraphrasing here.

They built churches across the entire region. Uh oh.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The antidote to Pale expansion is Hope, particularly hope in the face of overwhelming adversity, whether founded in religion, communism or anodic dance music (this will be a victory for the light!)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

on interesting discussion topics, it was incredibly loving neat that if you discuss the Pale in the commie quest, they forward the case that the Pale might very well be historical inertia/nostalgia/reaction compressed into material form, which makes revolution (not necessarily major-R Revolution but the revolutionary New) the only thing capable of beating it back

there was a lot in the subtext stating that in the previous cut but having them explicitly put it like that (on the "here's what our game is loving about in case you have missed the point" quest nonetheless) was really nice

I managed to still miss the point. I broke the quest so hard it failure chained other things.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Barudak posted:

I managed to still miss the point. I broke the quest so hard it failure chained other things.

if you are not going to play it again,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUqaJNsm008

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

wizard2 posted:

Lurking this thread for pro tips, tricks, strats. It's extremely helpful to finally grasping the depth of this game, especially recent Joyce chat. .

The pro strat build is to start with either 5 5 1 1 or 4 5 1 1 (you can go 5 4 1 2 or 4 6 1 1 or w/e but you gwt the idea). Then you make sure to get boring cop thought first (raises your caps to 3 across the board), then you take Art Cop and wompty dompty Dom center, maxing encyclopedia and conceptualization. Do it right an you can max out almost everything and turn your brain into a cacophony choir.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

sebzilla posted:

The antidote to Pale expansion is Hope, particularly hope in the face of overwhelming adversity, whether founded in religion, communism or anodic dance music (this will be a victory for the light!)

Hard core!

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

Is that a majority share as in 51% or as in she owns the largest single block of shares? I read it as the latter with there being enough folks to over-ride her.

I also read it as a plurality of shares. She's the largest individual shareholder (and thus morally way more on-the-hook for this whole fiasco than she's letting on), but doesn't have a controlling stake in the company (i.e., cannot unilaterally decide Wild Pines policy, and is subject to the whims of other board members)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Joyce is Disco, and if that's good enough for Harry it's good enough for anyone

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
large dump from the macro thread a few days ago

trapped mouse posted:

Last two are spoilered since they deal with end of game stuff:

e:

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 14, 2022

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Twobirds posted:

Hard core!
To the mega!

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Man, Zizek/DE works great but scrolling down that Twitter thread further and "Zizek in Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball" loving killed me

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Richard M. Nixon: It's OK, Bob, we're just rapping, my friends and I. In fact we agree on a lot of things, don't we?

Young Student: No, we don't! You say you want to end the war, so why don't you?

Richard M. Nixon: Change always comes slowly. I pulled out more than half the troops. I'm trying to cut the military budget for the first time in 30 years. I want a volunteer army. But it's also a question of American credibility, our position in the world.

Student #1: Come on, Mr. Nixon. It's a civil war between Vietnamese.

Young Student: You don't want the war, we don't want the war, the Vietnamese don't want the war, so why does it go on?

[Nixon hesitates. Haldeman whispers "We should be going" to him]

Young Student: You can't stop it, can you? Even if you wanted to. Because it's not you, it's the system. The system won't let you stop it.

Richard M. Nixon: There's... there's more at stake here than what you want, or what I want.

Young Student: Then what's the point? What's the point of being President? You're powerless!

Richard M. Nixon: [Firmly] No. No, I'm not powerless. Because, because I understand the system, I believe I can, uh, I can control it. Maybe not control it totally, but tame it enough to make it do some good.

Young Student: Sounds like you're talking about a wild animal.

Richard M. Nixon: Yeah, maybe I am.

Is this from something?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fell Fire posted:

Is this from something?

yeah it's from the Anthony Hopkins "Nixon" film, when he goes to talk to college Vietnam War protestors at the Lincoln Memorial. Kinda reminded me of what we were talking about in terms of Joyce, that helplessness even from powerful folks

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I got Kim to wear the jacket, but just saw "-1 Kim doesn't trust you" on a white check. :smith:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Pro tip: you can have Kim wear the jacket to the island by waiting to put the ftw jacket on for the first time until after the tribunal

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Oh no, does he change out of it after the Tribunal? I put mine on immediately because that's what Suggestion uh, suggested

Trophy didn't pop for it yet, reading online I have to finish this playthrough and start another one first to get it for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am shocked at how few people have the Torque Dork achievement. Don't you wanna chat with your bro about carsmotor carriages??