Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Does anyone happen to have a link to some ridiculously high quality versions of aLttP era promo art/posters? I swear I remember Nintendo Power having a cool poster from that time, so like that.

Decorating my gaming room and wanna get some printed out and framed. But don't wanna use a low quality scan and have it be all pixelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

any zelda-related promo art, manual scans etc you want, this site is likely to have:

http://www.zeldalegends.net/gallery/index.php

some of the images aren't huge but they are at least always clean

some of the coolest poo poo is actually for link's awakening, like these:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/awesome-breath-of-the-wild-decayed-guardian-cosplay-spotted-at-megacon-orlando/

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Amppelix posted:

any zelda-related promo art, manual scans etc you want, this site is likely to have:

http://www.zeldalegends.net/gallery/index.php

some of the images aren't huge but they are at least always clean

some of the coolest poo poo is actually for link's awakening, like these:

Thanks! This is perfect.

After looking through all the art, as much as aI wanna go with something from aLttP, gotta say there was a massive jump in art quality around OoT.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Unreal Engine 5 Ocarina of Time remake available now for a patreon subscription fee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP6Tr-W2r1k

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
that looks like poo poo and they are charging for it? nintendo double hit squad incoming.

it looks so bad that i had to do a double look at the 5 in UE5 lol

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's so getting C n' D'd.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I was just surprised it has been around as long as it has without getting Nintendon'ted.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Just what I want in a reveal trailer: minute after minute of standing almost motionless in an empty room! VERY exciting.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

drat y'all are cranky today. I think it looks pretty impressive for one person recreating the game (from scratch?). This guy has posted a lot of stuff in the past but going paywall seems like an odd way to get it killed fast.

The only thing that gets me is the camera seems really janky. That's also not a trailer it's a tech demo of the lighting so yeah it's boring.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
In a good Zelda or Zelda-like game, what's the ideal ratio of puzzles to combat? Something like 60:40, 65:35-ish?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're wanting to play Ocarina of Time on PC, the way to do it is the port based on reverse engineering.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Dave posted:

drat y'all are cranky today. I think it looks pretty impressive for one person recreating the game (from scratch?). This guy has posted a lot of stuff in the past but going paywall seems like an odd way to get it killed fast.

The only thing that gets me is the camera seems really janky. That's also not a trailer it's a tech demo of the lighting so yeah it's boring.

It's a cool tech demo, but the fact that the trailers don't show anything remotely interactive beyond just slowly walking around 2 locations raises SO many red flags in addition to the Patreon wall.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Dave posted:

All these unreal engine remake yt stuff always look like poo poo somehow, wither missing the point or some other weird off looking thing with terrible camera and hud and everything. They always look ugly no matter which game they try to "remake"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it looks really beautiful and don’t understand how anyone could think this was ugly, especially compared to the original game and its blocky muddy green Lego textures.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i think ocarina of time 3d upscaled to HD looks about 3 times better

this is missing basic things like a cohesive art style. you can't just apply fancy visual effects willy-nilly like adding More Graphics will make anything look better

it is still impressive from a technical perspective and surely took a shitton of work, but yeah

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

i think ocarina of time 3d upscaled to HD looks about 3 times better

this is missing basic things like a cohesive art style. you can't just apply fancy visual effects willy-nilly like adding More Graphics will make anything look better

it is still impressive from a technical perspective and surely took a shitton of work, but yeah

I think you could solve a lot of the problems with it by using a toon shader on the characters and environment rather than shooting for realistic graphics.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the fan demo is a few camera and lighting settings away from being really really good. The shaky cam and motion blue sucks. The lighting seems a little too “we used every new thing at once” but has huge potential.

I’d also love to see the fixed camera views from the pre rendered bgs, might add some artistic integrity to it.

Scaling up the 3DS game to 4k or 8k requires a bit of non existent magic to look good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

actually now that i brought it up, if you want the true collision of both of these worlds here's this recently released very questionably good looking HD texture pack for OOT 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNj5gZXZE7I

look at that HD Grass

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Any unreal engine port of a Nintendo property needs to work extra loving hard to not get boiled down to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Y_d_Lhp60

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Amppelix posted:

actually now that i brought it up, if you want the true collision of both of these worlds here's this recently released very questionably good looking HD texture pack for OOT 3D

look at that HD Grass

People who design upscaled texture packs are more concerned with authentically representing the game in higher definitions, and aren't going to slap weird lighting or assets where they don't belong

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i think you missed my point

i was trying to say that the texture pack also looks kinda bad lol

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Amppelix posted:

i think you missed my point

i was trying to say that the texture pack also looks kinda bad lol

I don't care for that grass, it's too high contrast, and they probably shouldn't have used a straight-up photo. But in general a texture pack isn't going to be uncanny like a Unreal Engine attempt to make everything shiny, reflective, and overlit with 120fps particles. Retexturing communities take matters like that grass into consideration, and are referencing the N64 and 3DS tilesets directly

It's good practice for these artists either way, as sometimes it can be hard to find a place to start when you want experience handling a workflow. And improving on N64 games is going to attract a lot of valuable feedback

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son, who usually bails on more 'difficult' games, just beat Breath of the Wild. Don't know what it specifically was, but it really pulled him in and he's kept plugging away at it until finally today reaching the ending. So I guess BotW2 is officially on the Buy list now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
one more year and it'll be a bigger gap between BOTW 1 & 2 than there was between Skyward Sword and BOTW. it'll be the longest gap between games iirc pretty crazy. They must be putting in a ton of work

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The trailer focused heavily on the sky areas but I can’t help but feel like they’re making an underground layer as well, that’s the best explanation I can think of for why it’s taking so long is they’re adding basically an extra two maps

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I also want an ocean map

That you can dive in. Totally 3D ocean

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Agree with everyone who says this looks loving awful. Just hideously overstuffed visual design, everything looks like a stock asset and there is literally zero visual cohesion or charm

They were so concerned over whether or not they could etc etc

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 30, 2022

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
These demos are done with the intention of getting cease and desisted in order to drum up interest in the creators' portfolio and resumé :ssh:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The trailer focused heavily on the sky areas but I can’t help but feel like they’re making an underground layer as well, that’s the best explanation I can think of for why it’s taking so long is they’re adding basically an extra two maps

I want them to expand the map north and west to the lands we can see but not reach. Take out the "you can't go any farther" bit or maybe even do something with it. The slate physically stops you until you unlock a new function or something and make a whole story about that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hatty posted:

one more year and it'll be a bigger gap between BOTW 1 & 2 than there was between Skyward Sword and BOTW. it'll be the longest gap between games iirc pretty crazy. They must be putting in a ton of work

The Link's Awakening remake came out in 2019, the gap isn't that large. You could also count the SS remake too as a release but that wasn't a full on remake.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

to add to the HD retexture discussion, I stumbled upon this guy's YouTube account a month ago and Im really impressed with the work he did in Majora's Mask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovknYMdIP9I&t=1162s

I timestamped it to the part that has a lot of comparisons. This dude kinda went crazy redoing all of Majoras Mask and I think it looks really great and keeps in line with the original art style. A lot of the other "4k HD Ray-Tracing!" retextures remind me of those ridiculous Minecraft skin packs that make every texture hyper real and as a result, look like poo poo with the game. The OoT one linked earlier (not the terrible looking UE5 one) kinda falls in this camp for me

Once this pack is installed, you can map a button to switch between the original textures and the new ones and it blows me away each time I try this. So far, every place has looked so much better, but its still in line with how its supposed to look. I believe the goal he was going for was "the game now looks how I (incorrectly) remembered it from when I played it as a kid"

anyways, check this out if youre thinking of replaying MM. The vid even goes over how to patch small QoL things like having all the transform masks and ocarina have dedicated buttons on the d-pad. Depending on your preferences, this could be better than playing MM 3ds

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

sigher posted:

The Link's Awakening remake came out in 2019, the gap isn't that large. You could also count the SS remake too as a release but that wasn't a full on remake.

he's talking about the gap between main entries in the franchise

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

to add to the HD retexture discussion, I stumbled upon this guy's YouTube account a month ago and Im really impressed with the work he did in Majora's Mask:

I timestamped it to the part that has a lot of comparisons. This dude kinda went crazy redoing all of Majoras Mask and I think it looks really great and keeps in line with the original art style. A lot of the other "4k HD Ray-Tracing!" retextures remind me of those ridiculous Minecraft skin packs that make every texture hyper real and as a result, look like poo poo with the game. The OoT one linked earlier (not the terrible looking UE5 one) kinda falls in this camp for me

I love Nerrel

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah link's awakening wasn't even made by nintendo, the zelda team has been all sequel all the time for a very long time now

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

this loving game

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1523747165490884608

full explain here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdANqSNm0vU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

This video is a real :eyepop:

Just wild and impressive.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dictator. posted:

this loving game

Amazing

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This game is so broken it's magnificent, I love the lengths people are taking these glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the triforce has finally been found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_pqyrf9lA

(its worth watching the whole thing from the start, if you're into old beta oot content and late 90's/00's rumours and poo poo, as a yt comment says, its the equivalent of telling a bunch of adults that santa is real and showing them proof in real time)

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 3, 2022